Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Euro 2016 - Last 16

Read 49478 times
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Re: Euro 2016:- Knockout Stages.
      Reply #483: Jun 28, 2016 02:01:35 am
      W M : if you put the M at the back you have 3 on the backline and two defensive midfielders i.e. 5 at the back. If you stick the W up front you have 2 inside forwards and 2 wingers and a centreforward. It's called W M because it looks like a W on top of an M when you look at the formation.

Oh, wow that's so odd, thank you, I will remember, that's a weird set up. You taught me something tonight.

No worries. I don't think it'll come back. It might though.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #484: Jun 28, 2016 02:03:40 am
      Biggest problem for England is grassroots football and it's setup.

Look at the list of youngsters that have come through over the last few years Sterling, Kane, Wilshere, Smalling, Alli  etc.

Would any cut the mustard at a Barca or a Madrid or any other top European club outside the PL?
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #485: Jun 28, 2016 02:05:27 am
      That's the problem with English football. No local options are good enough. If Alan Shearer has any chance, it's not going to end well. He was a disaster at Newcastle. You can't have a glorified mascot as your leader.

Look at who we have had. Would Shearer be any worse?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #486: Jun 28, 2016 02:09:22 am
      Look at who we have had. Would Shearer be any worse?

That's part of my point, though. None are good enough.

Southgate, Pardew, Shearer? Eddie Howe is too young to have his career ruined.

The answer has to be beyond England.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #487: Jun 28, 2016 02:11:45 am
      All moot though. The FA needs a clean out before success comes.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #488: Jun 28, 2016 02:14:32 am
      That's part of my point, though. None are good enough.

Southgate, Pardew, Shearer? Eddie Howe is too young to have his career ruined.

The answer has to be beyond England.

No it doesnt, the answer is simple, give the job to people who care, people like Shearer do care, yeah he failed at Newcastle, but look at who we have had as managers of England. Shearer would succeed, in fact, if he was hired, I would bet by house he would get us a trophy.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #489: Jun 28, 2016 02:20:59 am
      No it doesnt, the answer is simple, give the job to people who care, people like Shearer do care, yeah he failed at Newcastle, but look at who we have had as managers of England. Shearer would succeed, in fact, if he was hired, I would bet by house he would get us a trophy.

Can I get action on that bet?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #490: Jun 28, 2016 02:27:10 am

Plenty of people care!! they care in Italy and Germany and Spain too. Except in those countries there are people who care and are also excellent managers. The problem with England is, if you don't mind me saying as it also applies to Australia, they think they are better than they are. The overriding sense of being English to the outsider is .... a sense of superiority. I am not saying all English but it seems a cultural norm. Brexit is a classic example. WWII and the Empire etc is a while ago now. Got to move on and change or become irrelevant. Australia (my home) is the same. Except we are just thick!!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #491: Jun 28, 2016 04:37:08 am
      It's the government's job to invoke article 50, not the F***ing football team!

Divvies.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #492: Jun 28, 2016 04:39:22 am
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #493: Jun 28, 2016 07:07:46 am

Me please   Me please can i have some of it .
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #494: Jun 28, 2016 07:30:54 am
      Just thinking, are expectations too high?

I see the team as more of a group of talented individuals who struggle to play to each others strenghts whether that be tactics/being played out of position, both, or anything else.

Squad needs an overhaul, there's no room for Rooney in that side either in my opinion.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #495: Jun 28, 2016 07:52:24 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #496: Jun 28, 2016 08:13:43 am
      Biggest problem for England is grassroots football and it's setup.

Look at the list of youngsters that have come through over the last few years Sterling, Kane, Wilshere, Smalling, Alli  etc.

Would any cut the mustard at a Barca or a Madrid or any other top European club outside the PL?

I think Alli would cut it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #497: Jun 28, 2016 08:41:05 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #498: Jun 28, 2016 10:02:58 am
      The biggest joke is Hodgson was left to fall on his sword, the F***ing laughable FA were still considering...........
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #499: Jun 28, 2016 10:12:05 am
      did he have is statement prepared before the game it appears so. that was by far the worse performance by an England side I can ever remember. I remember now why over many years I have lost the enthusiasm for watching England ...they are crap. But above all its lack of passion in the team last night was a team that was not playing for the manager nor the Country they looked like like Zombies
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #500: Jun 28, 2016 10:15:58 am

:lmao:

Either you're not Engloish or you have mistaken Alan Shearer for somebody else.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #501: Jun 28, 2016 10:35:39 am
      You know what, I used to be a massive England fan, I guess like a lot of people.  I'd love to be again but with the mentality we have of continually picking and playing, somehow, what people see as "our best players" and hoping it works, rather than picking a system and the best players to fit it, it's never going to happen.

I remember 1966, I watched it, all of it and we were never expected to win it.  Portugal were the favourites and we beat them in the semis.  I remember something that Jack Charlton said years later about being selected for the squad, he questioned why when there were better CBs in the country and Ramsey told him he was the best player to play the position how he wanted it played, to partner Moore.

This tournament has been a mess from start to finish, anybody who couldn't see last night coming doesn't understand football.  My Paul was at work last night so had to listen to it rather than watch it and was fuming when he got in, raging against the players and how crap they all are, refusing to listen to me trying to explain that Roy fu**ed up.

He had 5 Liverpool players and 5 Spurs players in his squad, both teams play a high line, quick interchanging passes, press like madmen and in a 4231 formation or variations of it.  People were amazed during qualification that Roy had moved away from his traditional 442 system, praising him for being "progressive" and what does he do during the tournament, he plays 433  :mad: :mad: Even the squad he selected didn't make sense, taking players that had barely played all season due to long term injuries and those who had had abysmal seasons at Club level.  Hendo, Wilshire and Rooney as his "main" midfielders ffs.

Leicester last season and Iceland last night proves that you don't need the best players to win games, you need a set way of playing that gets the best out of the players available.  Those highly paid professionals last night looked lost, like a pub team, a bit like we looked at the start of last season.  Players playing in a system they didn't understand, not in their natural positions, with no direction, no plan and no F***ing idea what the F**k they were supposed to be doing.

As I've just said to Paul, it's a bit like him and his colleagues going into work not knowing what work needs to be done and nobody telling them.  They all know their job but without direction, without a plan they'd all be walking round scratching their heads.

Whoever the next manager is for me they need to have a distinct way of playing, someone everyone will know before their first game how we're going to set up and play, that we have some sort of identity, methology and knows how to "coach" their way of playing.

That's my two penneth anyway, now I can get back to proper footy and look forward to watching a manager who knows what the F**k he's doing  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #502: Jun 28, 2016 10:48:04 am
      I would have rejected Hodgson's resignation statement and dragged the coward in front of the media for him to lay out every single detail regarding his horrific role in this sorry affair. I'd then take the pleasure to sack him afterwards. That he left it for the players, namely Joe Hart, to front up AND APOLOGISE for that performance says everything you need to know about the man. It was a despicable, shameless and undignified thing to do from a man who conned the world and somehow got away with it for years. It was vintage Hodgson throughout this tournament - pretend that nothing is wrong, arrogantly dismiss the qualities of other teams and anytime the media DARES question his tactics,  preparations or his future prospects then get all defensive and tetchy and show the world your true unpleasant self for all to see.

It's not hyperbole to say that the man is an utter FRAUD! That will be his epitaph.

But then again...we all could have told you that. Last night was one hell of a flashback to 6 years ago.

Fraud.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #504: Jun 28, 2016 11:03:57 am
      WM was a pre-post war (WWII not Iraq) formation, before  4 4 2. I was basically saying Roy Hodgson has no idea what he is doing and likening him to a dinosaur. However, if you read the post after that I go on to say its not Roys fault it is of course the FA's fault.

The FA appointed him, the FA pay him.

The national side is a joke and was long before Hodgson appeared, the dominating element throughout is the FA.
      The FA is the dinosaur.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #505: Jun 28, 2016 11:05:56 am
      I would have rejected Hodgson's resignation statement and dragged the coward in front of the media for him to lay out every single detail regarding his horrific role in this sorry affair. I'd then take the pleasure to sack him afterwards. That he left it for the players, namely Joe Hart, to front up AND APOLOGISE for that performance says everything you need to know about the man. It was a despicable, shameless and undignified thing to do from a man who conned the world and somehow got away with it for years. It was vintage Hodgson throughout this tournament - pretend that nothing is wrong, arrogantly dismiss the qualities of other teams and anytime the media DARES question his tactics,  preparations or his future prospects then get all defensive and tetchy and show the world your true unpleasant self for all to see.

It's not hyperbole to say that the man is an utter FRAUD! That will be his epitaph.

But then again...we all could have told you that. Last night was one hell of a flashback to 6 years ago.

Fraud.

Perfect FA material.

Quick Reply