Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool v Fulham: Match Thread

Read 19425 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Liverpool v Fulham: Match Thread
      Nov 06, 2007 11:10:35 pm
      Liverpool v Fulham
      Premiership
      Anfield
      Sat 10th November 2007 @ 5:15pm

If we don't score at least 9 then this club is going backwards and Rafa should get sacked. :f_whistle:

Thoughts?
      « Last Edit: Nov 10, 2007 04:31:26 pm by koolkidda »
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool v Fulham: Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: Nov 06, 2007 11:13:12 pm
      Surely going to be a win for Liverpool! I feel it in my bones! the goal-drought is really over. Say 3-0.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #2: Nov 06, 2007 11:14:42 pm
      Three points is all I want.  1-0, 9-0 or 10-9 - I don't particularly care.

Hopefully we can get through this without risking Torres needlessly.

After tonight's game, Rafa REALLY will have a selection headache.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Nov 06, 2007 11:15:22 pm
      Everyone wants the ball, no rushing, just class touches and pure football.

I predict a bag of goals on Saturday, with Torres, Crouch and Arbeloa all getting in on the goal sheet.

solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      Reply #4: Nov 06, 2007 11:18:07 pm
      Everyone wants the ball, no rushing, just class touches and pure football.

I predict a bag of goals on Saturday, with Torres, Crouch and Arbeloa all getting in on the goal sheet.

Maybe Rafa should give this set of players a second run at it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #5: Nov 06, 2007 11:20:11 pm

:lmao:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Nov 06, 2007 11:29:47 pm
      What would everyone's reaction be if Rafa played the same team he played against Beskitas?  :o I presume that's very unlikely, but out of that team I would like to see Crouch, Benayoun and Arbeloa start, for sure. Totally deserve it.

Knowing Sanchez, he'll have Fulham trying to kick lumps play professional fouls, so we have to keep the simple passes on the go and spread them wide open.
      Personally, I'd like to see Crouch up front with Babel....
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      Reply #7: Nov 06, 2007 11:35:58 pm
      What would everyone's reaction be if Rafa played the same team he played against Beskitas?  :o I presume that's very unlikely, but out of that team I would like to see Crouch, Benayoun and Arbeloa start, for sure. Totally deserve it.

Then Gerrard, mascharano, Veronin, and the solid defense we had today. The next match might just have 90% of today's winners. If there are going to be any changes, it might be Veronin & (a distant maybe) Riise.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #8: Nov 06, 2007 11:54:54 pm
      To be honest RK since when has 'form' influenced Rafa's team selections?  Never as far as I have noticed.

You've already suggested the change that most of us would suggest - Babel and Crouch up front.  But would Rafa really leave out Kuyt? If he leaves out Kuyt at the weekend then he has effectively 'dropped' him. 

After praising him post-Blackburn this would be an extremely un-Rafa thing to do.  I await Saturday's team with intense anticipation!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Nov 07, 2007 12:32:13 am
      But would Rafa really leave out Kuyt? If he leaves out Kuyt at the weekend then he has effectively 'dropped' him. 

After praising him post-Blackburn this would be an extremely un-Rafa thing to do.  I await Saturday's team with intense anticipation!

I thought Kuyt was dropped last night to be honest. I thought he would start, because as you say form doesn't really come into Rafa's selections and he hasn't been on form for a while now yet he's still featured quit a lot. But the game against Beskitas was very much a must win game and he wasn't favoured at all.
      Personally, I'd have him on the bench against Fulham. Maybe him being dropped will help him and the other strikers?
      bigredarmy
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | -1 
      Reply #10: Nov 07, 2007 05:06:29 am
      unfortunately my gut feeling has rafa playing torres and kuyt upfront, wish it could be crouch to start with torres coming as sub

reina
      finnan carra hyypia riise
      youssi gerrard mascher babel
      crouch torres?
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      Reply #11: Nov 07, 2007 06:34:35 am
      unfortunately my gut feeling has rafa playing torres and kuyt upfront, wish it could be crouch to start with torres coming as sub

reina
      finnan carra hyypia riise
      youssi gerrard mascher babel
      crouch torres?

Rafa shouldn't be in such a hurry to start with torres yet. Give him time to really heaL PROPERLY.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Nov 07, 2007 11:27:56 am
      TBH Fulham don't have any real threats that we need to look out for, so I would play to our strengths. Riise didn't have the greatest game once again last night, and IMO should be dropped imediately, and even though they did play better I would also leave out Voronin & Aurelio. Whilst Voronin did a good job last night I feel we need a bit more pace upfront in the Prem, and with Finnan almost certainly returning & Arbeloa's performance last night I don't see any other option than benching Aurelio to make way for Arbeloa on the left. I would go for:

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Hyypia Arbeloa

Yossi  Gerrard  Masch  Kewell

Crouch   Babel

I know some people are reluctant to start Kewell, but he's had four runouts now, and we can't keep wrapping him in cotton wool forever. Apart from that I think the rest of my selection is self-explanatory, so for once I'm gonna keep it short & sweet.

My prediction? The reds march on with a 3-0 victory.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #13: Nov 07, 2007 11:44:33 am
      Again Eddie...its hard to disagree about JAR. Its hard to pick out substandard performances on a night like last night, but I remember an incident that highlights one of his slight weaknesses. When forced against the touchline, he turned, tried to play a pass to the defenders but was dispossessed immediately.

This was just the shot in the arm we needed, a strong performance that'll boost the confidence. We will beat Fulham on Saturday and get our campaign firmly back on the road...because of the way we play.

I should know better but here goes anyway...

Liverpool 2 (Gerrard, Crouch) - 0 Fulham.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #14: Nov 07, 2007 12:24:37 pm
      I could be wrong but isnt Fulham our last game before the international break? If so I hope Rafa sticks with the same 11 well maybe Kewell for Riise and maybe give Babel a start up front with Crouchy and have Torres to come in.

Confidence will be sky high and we should launch into Fulham from the start play like we did last night

But we all know Rafa and chances are 5 changes could be made. To be honest its not the changes that would bother me but would we get the same flowing football we got last night with so many changes?

Anyway 3 points is a must here and if we get them well be sitting nicely
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #15: Nov 07, 2007 01:22:23 pm
      TBH Fulham don't have any real threats that we need to look out for, so I would play to our strengths. Riise didn't have the greatest game once again last night, and IMO should be dropped imediately, and even though they did play better I would also leave out Voronin & Aurelio. Whilst Voronin did a good job last night I feel we need a bit more pace upfront in the Prem, and with Finnan almost certainly returning & Arbeloa's performance last night I don't see any other option than benching Aurelio to make way for Arbeloa on the left. I would go for:

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Hyypia Arbeloa

Crouch   Babel

I know some people are reluctant to start Kewell, but he's had four runouts now, and we can't keep wrapping him in cotton wool forever. Apart from that I think the rest of my selection is self-explanatory, so for once I'm gonna keep it short & sweet.

Good team Eddie and I agree with the Kewell start too as he is looking really sharp and had some good crosses late on, also did anyone know Sheree is expecting another baby? (sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I didn't see it) so looks like he's been busy off the pitch too.

Anyway with Finnan and Arbeloa and Yossi starting I can see many chances being created it's just a shame that when Pennant returns he might have a tricky job getting his place back.  Crouch is in excellent form too now and should be after another couple of goals for his tally and Babel is finally off the 1 goal ;) mark also so I can see big potential.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2007 01:59:18 pm by AJ »
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #16: Nov 07, 2007 01:25:59 pm

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Hyypia Arbeloa

Crouch   Babel

I agree that Riise didn't have the greatest game apart from the decent cross he put in for Crouch's first header, the header he had cleared off the  line, the quick throw to Voronin which allowed the cross for Yossi's first goal and the pile driver the goalie could only parry which lead to Yossi's second goal. >:D

But I agree the short comings are still there despite some of the good stuff he did last night so I concur with your selection.

I think we all know there is still a problem with Sami's pace and although Carragher covered well for him last night a better team will exploit the gap left by this.  I wonder if we should not be giving Hobbs a chance?  He did alright against Cardiff and I think he could handle Fulham.

On another note I think we could adapt the old Stan Colymore chant as in

Hey Yossi Yossi

Yossi Yossi Yossi Yossi Ben-a-youm

Got a few people going on it in the Lower Centenary last night.

donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Nov 07, 2007 01:31:14 pm
      Ideal game to give Hobbs a try.

I'm pretty sure Torres will partner Crouch up-front

PR
      AA JC JH FA
      YB SG JM RB
           PC
              FT

SUBS AV, HK, SH, LL, CI
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #18: Nov 07, 2007 01:42:09 pm
      Hopefully the team that started against Besiktas will be given another run out.

If it's not broken, don't fix it and all that.

But. Rafa being Rafa will tinker with with his team.

Personally, I don't think Torres should start - let him recover from his injury fully. We have a long and important winter fixture list.
      Give Crouch a start, he's hungry, he's got it all to prove.
      Voronin played well with him last night - so hopefully they will pair up again.

Maybe a change that Rafa will look at, will be to rest Gerrard, and play maybe Lucas or even Benayoun in his position. (Kewell ?/ Babel on the right)

This is a match we all expect to win, esp. after the 8 - 0 win last night.
      But I remember the 9 - 0 win against Palace years ago, and we followed that up with a 0 - 0 home draw.

We need to forget about last nights result and take the confidence only into the Fulham game.
      Get the crowd behind us and hopefully an early goal will start us off to a good win.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Nov 07, 2007 01:44:44 pm
      I wonder if we should not be giving Hobbs a chance?

Maybe. I opted for Hyypia mainly because he didn't have a lot to do last night & therefore should be able to handle two games in quick succession. If Besiktas had troubled us more I would've probably opted to rest him.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #20: Nov 07, 2007 01:57:47 pm

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Hyypia Arbeloa

Crouch   Babel

Exact team I'd go for. Kewell is looking sharper now.

Arbeloa has to stay in for me as well as Yossi, who had a brilliant game yesterday.

Prediction: 4-0, Babel and Crouch both to score.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #21: Nov 07, 2007 02:09:40 pm

I fully agree, don't cut and chop when things are already fine.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #22: Nov 07, 2007 02:18:48 pm
      Again Eddie...its hard to disagree about JAR. Its hard to pick out substandard performances on a night like last night, but I remember an incident that highlights one of his slight weaknesses. When forced against the touchline, he turned, tried to play a pass to the defenders but was dispossessed immediately.

This was just the shot in the arm we needed, a strong performance that'll boost the confidence. We will beat Fulham on Saturday and get our campaign firmly back on the road...because of the way we play.

I should know better but here goes anyway...

Liverpool 2 (Gerrard, Crouch) - 0 Fulham.

I fully concur that JAR weaknesses are plain to be seen, when he's pinned to the byline, he's helpless and Rafa still doesn't sees that, not to mention he's too left footed and lack in speed. Put JAR at the corner of the opposition goal would be more fruitful, at least he can make some useful pin - point crosses. With due respect to JAR, he's by far the weakest link in the team at the mo., maybe we've up our standard of play this year that his weaknesses begin to show. if we can sort that out we would have a stronger team. I'll go for 2-0 win gainst Fulham.

Quick Reply