Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should we go out and buy in January?

Yes, we need at least 2 or more signings
      (38.9%)
      Yes, 1 signing
      (46.6%)
      No, we're fine as we are
      (9.2%)
      Other (please state what and why?
      (5.3%)

The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?

Read 49388 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: The January Transfer Window - Stick or Twist?
      Reply #322: Jan 20, 2017 09:00:22 pm
      Yet to see any sign of technical ability in his game.

I actually have him down as quite a clumsy looking player.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #323: Jan 20, 2017 09:03:48 pm
      It's starting to look less and less likely that we will not be in the market this window. Can't say that I agree with it (I especially think we need another Mane type of player) but having been critical of our lack of transfer activity (I felt we needed more) in the summer I have to doff my cap to Klopp because we've had a really good first half of the season. So with that in mind, I'll trust to his decisions. If he thinks the kids can step in the then I figure who am I to disagree.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #324: Jan 20, 2017 10:36:52 pm
      Berahino going to Stoke for £10M which seems a bargain when you consider what we got got for Ibe.

Hmm..
      12m..has not scored in a year..played around 200min this year and with 6month left on his contract...could prove a bargain but until then West Brom has the upper hand imo.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #325: Jan 20, 2017 10:43:00 pm
      Hmm..
      12m..has not scored in a year..played around 200min this year and with 6month left on his contract...could prove a bargain but until then West Brom has the upper hand imo.

Until they go and spend more than that on a striker in Ighalo who also couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Crazy to think Watford rejected £37.5m for him and now he's turned sh*t :D. Ridiculously stupid decision by Watford.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #326: Jan 21, 2017 02:15:58 am
      Until they go and spend more than that on a striker in Ighalo who also couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Crazy to think Watford rejected £37.5m for him and now he's turned sh*t :D. Ridiculously stupid decision by Watford.

Most likely :)
      Now Fonte to West ham for 10mil..33 years old with 1year left; I`m just curious to how far will these overinflated prices will go and when/if the bubble will burst.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #327: Jan 21, 2017 02:58:11 pm
      Well if there was no urgency to sign anyone when we still had a shot at being Champions; there's, sure as sh*t, even less urgency now.

Liverpool fans will, as ever, wait on the summer, full of anticipation and hope.

Yet another 8 months worth of 'acceptance' bought cheaply.  Ah well...  :-\
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #328: Jan 21, 2017 03:28:19 pm
      Well if there was no urgency to sign anyone when we still had a shot at being Champions; there's, sure as sh*t, even less urgency now.

Liverpool fans will, as ever, wait on the summer, full of anticipation and hope.

Last thing we want to do is buy players "just for the sake of it" though mate, don't forget that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #329: Jan 21, 2017 03:40:09 pm

Do you think a few signings could have made a difference to us BBB? I think the general consensus on here is that theres nothing out there and no point for the sake of it, etc...

Personally I think we're suffering for being tight with the signings we made in the Summer, IE the signings of Klavan and Karius for peanuts who have been out of their depth, as well as no full back cover. Now in this window it also seems we miss a forward and a pacey type.

Honestly, I am really pissed off because the season has gone more or less as I expected really. We have been very good in most games, but held back by a lack of quality once we suffer an injury or two.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #330: Jan 21, 2017 04:57:50 pm
      Do you think a few signings could have made a difference to us BBB?
      Dunno buddy but one thing I do know for sure is... they definitely CANNOT make a difference if you don't F***ing sign them.  ;)
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #331: Jan 21, 2017 07:29:17 pm
      Dunno buddy but one thing I do know for sure is... they definitely CANNOT make a difference if you don't F***ing sign them.  ;)

Indeed :)!
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #332: Jan 21, 2017 07:59:35 pm
      Tin hat time but would Defoe be a good short term option, he would suit Klopps style and he can finish? 18 mths or so.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #333: Jan 21, 2017 08:10:12 pm
      Short of names on here, who should we buy that's available,  huff and puff all you like but who exactly ?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #334: Jan 21, 2017 08:14:10 pm
      Tin hat time but would Defoe be a good short term option, he would suit Klopps style and he can finish? 18 mths or so.

We're not that desperate :D He's like 90.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #335: Jan 21, 2017 08:18:24 pm
      Short of names on here, who should we buy that's available,  huff and puff all you like but who exactly ?

That's the ultimate question mate isn't it.

You hear that anybody is available for the right money, well I don't think Man City and Chelsea are short of a few quid which first team players are they plucking out of top sides this month?

Not that our owners would ever sanction a move that would totally blow a team out of the water because as we see with Chelsea and City that then sets the precedent that you are prepared to pay whatever it takes so you lose a lot of your bargaining power. Granted it'd be nice to occasionally just say we'll pay what it takes but if we're honest we're not in that position.

Those that do condone it and say just pay what it takes to get Van Dyk, would we really be happy and pay say £55m to get him and then he doesn't work out. Summer comes around and then our transfer kitty looks much worse because of it?

It's an extremely short-sighted and rather naive suggestion to just say pay what it takes and pick who you want because they're all available for the right price but if you listen to certain people that's what they'd have you believe is the truth and indeed what we should be doing.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #336: Jan 21, 2017 08:19:32 pm
      We aren't going to buy anyone so I hope getting Matip and Mane back are the keys to an upturn and hopefully no other injuries the rest of the year.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #337: Jan 21, 2017 08:55:28 pm
      Whether it is Klopp, FSG, the scouts, whoever it is clear as day that the squad needs strengthening for us to kick on.

If this season goes tits up because of this then somebody has fu**ed up.

As somebody pointed out today in another thread coaching will only take you so far in this league.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #338: Jan 21, 2017 10:40:13 pm
      Whether it is Klopp, FSG, the scouts, whoever it is clear as day that the squad needs strengthening for us to kick on.

If this season goes tits up because of this then somebody has fu**ed up.

As somebody pointed out today in another thread coaching will only take you so far in this league.

I think we were a little naïve to go into the season with the squad we did, and not having a credible replacement for Mane when we knew all along he was going to the AFCON was plain daft. When you look at our rivals squads, it makes you realise that far from throwing our toys out of the pram about the job Jürgen is doing, we ought to be singing his praises. Chelsea were able to lose both of Oscar and Jon Obi Mikkel and their squad was strong enough for it not to even register. Both of those players would have been in our first choice team IMHO while Coutinho and Henderson were injured, Mane away. The Mancs have Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as impact players off the bench, Man City have a million options. Spurs paid 30 million quid for a fella in the Summer who barely plays and is an impact sub, Arsenal have a host of attacking options which would definitely get minutes for us.

Hopefully it's a learning curve, but much as I think Jürgen is a brilliant manager I don't think it's possible to prosper in English football unless you have a much deeper squad than we have.   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #339: Jan 21, 2017 11:41:51 pm
      Probably on course to concede 50+ goals again this season.

I honestly thought Klopp would be a lot more ruthless than he has been, a bit of a softie really.
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #340: Jan 22, 2017 01:10:25 am
      Bring back markovic...we should be fine then  :f_tongueincheek:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #341: Jan 22, 2017 10:29:43 am
      Bring back markovic...we should be fine then  :f_tongueincheek:

He's coming back.

Sporting are ending his loan early.

May not be the worst thing in the world either if Klopp can get something out of him.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #342: Jan 22, 2017 12:59:52 pm
      I think we should leave it now until the summer. I think we should of brought some bodies in but after yesterday I believe our title challenge is now over. I think what we have now will be enough to keep us in the top 4.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #343: Jan 22, 2017 01:00:08 pm
      Who should we buy? Chris Wood, striker, Leeds. 6ft 3 inches New Zealander, 25 years old, good in the air, developing and willing. 16 goals in 29 league games this season, about 16 million quid. That'll do for starters.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #344: Jan 22, 2017 01:07:42 pm
      Who should we buy? Chris Wood, striker, Leeds. 6ft 3 inches New Zealander, 25 years old, good in the air, developing and willing. 16 goals in 29 league games this season, about 16 million quid. That'll do for starters.

Being serious?

Quick Reply