Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Garay (Racing Santander)

Read 10372 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Garay (Racing Santander)
      Nov 15, 2007 08:14:07 am
      Benítez ready to battle with Ferguson for £10m Garay

Andy Hunter
      Wednesday November 14, 2007
      The Guardian

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2210572,00.html

Rafael Benítez is considering a January move for the Racing Santander defender Ezequiel Garay although, in echoes of his thwarted efforts to sign Gabriel Heinze, the Liverpool manager's attempt to add an Argentinian to his defence may be complicated by Manchester United.

The Liverpool manager has been searching for a central defender who can also operate at full-back since Heinze was prevented from making the journey from Old Trafford to Anfield by a Premier League arbitration panel in August. He has his sights on the £10m-rated Garay, who was linked with United this year, and is contemplating meeting Santander's asking price when the transfer window reopens. Garay, who turned 21 last month, joined the Spanish club from Newell's Old Boys two years ago and won his first - and so far only - cap for Argentina in a friendly against Norway in August.

A centre-half who can also perform at right-back, Garay would initially provide much-needed cover for a Liverpool defence which has wavered at times without the injured Daniel Agger.

Whether Benítez will have funds for Garay and additional signings may depend on the club progressing in the Champions League. Benítez has indicated he may have to sell to buy if the club's US owners concentrate funds on loan repayments for a new £400m stadium.
      « Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 10:03:30 am by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Re: Garay (Racing Santander)
      Reply #1: Nov 15, 2007 10:08:19 am
      Good spot DM.

Liverpool join race to sign Argentine defender
      Vicki Hodges
      The Telegraph (This one has a quote!)

Liverpool have joined Manchester United and Real Madrid in the race to sign Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay.

Coach Rafael Benitez will utilise his Spanish contacts to land the Racing Santander centre-back for £10 million in the January transfer window.

"I've no doubt next year he'll be playing for one of the big clubs," Santander coach Marcelino Garcia Toral said in the Mirror.

"I have to assume he'll leave because we are a selling club, and because he is a truly great player."

Manchester United have been tracking the 21-year-old with Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin thought to have made several scouting trips to watch the defender in action.

Real Madrid, meanwhile, are also keen to sign the Argentinian and see him as the player who could eventually succeed Fabio Cannavaro.

Liverpool coach Benitez has already expressed his concern at his squads current lack of defensive options this season.

Although Daniel Agger is on course to return from a metatarsal injury later this month, his injury has left Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyppia as the only two experienced central defenders in the set-up.

Alvaro Arbeloa can be used as a make-shift centre-half, while 19-year-old Jack Hobbs has only made two appearances in the Carling Cup this season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/11/14/ufnliverpool114.xml

We definitely need cover in this position.  I would be interested in hearing more from some of you who have watched the guy play.  Clearly he wouldn't be a first teamer but essential cover is needed.

Just one thing.

Are Liverpool ready for their first ever hunchback?

DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #2: Nov 15, 2007 10:15:33 am
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9r72BLKS0

Good 5 min profile ;) check out those Anchovies ;D
      « Last Edit: Nov 15, 2007 10:18:16 am by DM Osbon »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Nov 15, 2007 06:05:26 pm

Soft spot alert?

:D

I don't recall of seeing him playing in the La Liga, but I'm probably not the only one!

If he's a prospect that can benefit the team then get him signed, sealed, and delivered.

Let's hope he's not another Vidic that snubs us for the Mancs.  If he does he clearly has issues!
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2007 10:26:23 am
      ^^That turned out all well; we got Agger instead; and while Vidic is better atm, Agger will crap all over him in a few years. :D
      ferrariboy21
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • redhalfofmerseyside
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2007 06:46:52 pm
      For some reason, this lad is outstanding in FM!

I've no idea how good he is, but he can't be bad if all the top clubs are racing to seal the deal? £10 may seem like a big fee. And we really need a backup defender, preferably young who could take over JC in time to come.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2007 06:02:56 am
      Never heard of him before reading those articles...Thanks for the video DM Osbon...although I'm still trying to figure out why the whole Anchovy bit was in there.

As said before if the other biggish clubs  ;) are interested in him, there must be something about him but for me he looks a bit lightweight. We'll just have to wait and see hwat happens in January.    On a side note isn't Racing Santander where Yossi was originally from?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2007 09:53:22 am
      Whats with the Anchovies?

Good little vid to check him out. Seems a good lad. Still dont know how he plays though.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #8: Nov 19, 2007 07:53:26 pm
      Argentine Ace keen on move to England

Ezequiel Garay, the promising Argentine defender linked with a move to either Liverpool or Man United, has been talking about his ambition to play in the Premiership.

The 21 year old who plays centre-back for his Spanish club, Racing Santander, is steadily progressing in to the Argentinian national side.

Speaking this week, the player said:

“To play in England is a dream.

“But I insist that I do not want to talk about the hypothesis. I do not have any preferences about any clubs.

“My head is in Racing but like all professionals I would like to progress.

“But I have spoken with the directors of Racing only this week and there is no real news about me.”

Garay plays at centre-back but is also capable of playing right back.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/11/19/argentine-ace-keen-on-move-to-england/
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2007 11:48:34 am
      As you chaps know, I live in Spain and I watch a lot of La Liga footy - I wouldn't say this guy world class... just yet.

Yes he is a decent player... but nothing to write home about to be perfectly honest.

I would wait for a proven player to become available... unless Rafa is convinced he can take him up a level with his coaching.

Price tag might be attractive... I wonder if Manure were even interested before we sniffed around...

Fergie still wants to stuff us thanks to our attempt to prize Heinze maybe?
      AggerDoo
      Reply #10: Nov 26, 2007 05:30:06 pm
      Kahka Kaladze transfer row behind a crisisNov 26 2007

EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

WHEN Kahka Kaladze helped AC Milan topple Liverpool in last May’s Champions League final, little did he know that six months later he could end up playing an unwitting role in Rafa Benitez’s potential downfall.

The Georgian defender might have frustrated Benitez in Athens but to nothing like the same extent as the failure to sign him has infuriated the Liverpool boss in the last week.

Benitez wanted to snap Kaladze up to provide defensive cover for Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Sami Hyypia but when Tom Hicks and George Gillett refused to even discuss potential transfers before December 16, the chance to sign him was lost and the Reds boss reacted angrily.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Nov 27, 2007 04:29:38 am
      Although this might be rubbish, im not liking the sounds of Gillett and Hicks so far. Do they understand how January works? And to be questioning Rafa's position? I had doubts over him before but the lad is a genius and i have been persuaded by the people on this forum that he is the right man. I would be first to fly over there from Aus. and hand them a Yankin Spankin!
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2007 06:05:55 pm
      that would be a good buy for us as he provides cover for center back and right back. Sami hyypia is too slow and he might be better than sami.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2007 12:18:25 pm
      I understand Ezequiel Marcelo Garay plays central defence and right back. that looks more like playing Finnan's role of right back beside Carragher.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2007 12:49:18 pm

Can't be that good a defender! Look at all those balls in the net behind him! ;)

He may be worth it, and we all know if United grab him he'll be sh*t hot and we'll regret it! But is £10m worth gambling?
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #15: Dec 20, 2007 02:32:24 pm
      garay is a GREAT defender. I like much
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: Dec 20, 2007 07:16:49 pm
      apparently we also want someone named jose manuel casada from sevilla - 21 year old left sided player can play LB or LW. available on a bosman apparently but sevilla r trying to tie up a 2 deal to keep him seems the choice is down to him really.

can anyone shed any light on this player (someone whos seen him play).
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #17: Dec 20, 2007 08:56:13 pm
      apparently we also want someone named jose manuel casada from sevilla - 21 year old left sided player can play LB or LW. available on a bosman apparently but sevilla r trying to tie up a 2 deal to keep him seems the choice is down to him really.

can anyone shed any light on this player (someone whos seen him play).

If there are youngsters available on Bosmans then they are definately worth going for, even if they flop. They're free, and have time to develop; you can't lose!

Perhaps someone should find some info on this Casada bloke and start his own thread instead of sneakily infiltrating poor Ezequial Garay's. :D.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Dec 20, 2007 11:01:11 pm
      i would have if i could find any information on him but i honestly cant for the life of me find any info on him
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2007 10:05:32 am
      He is a good launcher of free kicks and penalties
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2008 01:40:14 pm
      So whats the situation with this player?

However, Pernia insists that any deal would not give Liverpool an advantage in attempting to sign defender Ezequiel Garay.

The Argentine has revealed a desire to play in England and the 21-year-old, who has a £14.2million get-out clause in his contract, is believed to be a target of Liverpool.

Pernia, though, is adamant that Garay will not be offered as an incentive for any loan deal for El Zhar or Leto.

"There is interest to buy our player (Garay) from big clubs," Pernia added. "But the name of Garay has not entered into this loan negotiation.

"This is clear and Liverpool know our position. If the position is not clear Racing will miss out on El Zhar and Leto because we do not want problems in the future."
      AggerDoo
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2008 04:18:07 pm
      If there are youngsters available on Bosmans then they are definately worth going for, even if they flop. They're free, and have time to develop; you can't lose!

Perhaps someone should find some info on this Casada bloke and start his own thread instead of sneakily infiltrating poor Ezequial Garay's. :D.
      u still have 2 pay a signing on fee so its not a win win situation
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2008 05:50:50 pm
      u still have 2 pay a signing on fee so its not a win win situation

I think thats for youth contracts actually...

Quick Reply