Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Rafa Benitez stunner - 'England job might tempt me'

Read 8355 times
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Nov 22, 2007 04:36:54 pm
      Nov 22 2007 By Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

* LISTEN to the press conference here

RAFA Benitez today sensationally refused to commit his future to Liverpool.

In an extraordinary Melwood press conference the Reds boss even allowed himself to be linked with the England manager's job, which was vacated earlier today by Steve McClaren.

The usually affable Benitez was clearly in a bad mood and chose his words carefully throughout the ten minute long press conference.

On several occasions he was asked the kind of questions which he usually answers without even thinking but instead of doing that he chose to brush them off with the same cryptic answer.

When asked about England's performance against Croatia, he responded: "I prefer to concentrate on training and coaching my team."

When asked about the threat Newcastle will pose to Liverpool on Saturday, he answered: "I am focusing on coaching and training my team."

He delivered the very same answer on at least ten more occasions.

One of the few questions Benitez was prepared to answer concerned the national team manager's job.

Asked if he would consider taking over from Steve McClaren if the job was offered to him, he said: "You never know what might happen, maybe."

Just last week, Benitez appeared to commit himself to a long term future with Liverpool when he talked of emulating the 21 years Sir Alex Ferguson has spent at Old Trafford.

But today's comments throw into doubt that previously held ambition and suggest all is far from well at Anfield.

The inference which could be taken from the press conference is that Benitez is not happy with the backing, or a perceived lack of it, he is receiving from the club's American owners.

The Reds boss gave this theory further credence when he admitted to being frustrated with life at Anfield but he would not expand on what he meant by this.

But by refusing to commit his future to the club and allowing himself to be linked with another job it appears he has basically delivered a "Back me or sack me" ultimatum to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.
      « Last Edit: Nov 22, 2007 04:50:36 pm by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Rafa Benitez stunner - 'England job might tempt me'
      Reply #1: Nov 22, 2007 04:57:21 pm
      To be honest I think Mr Barrett has gone over the top on this one. Not good seeing as he's our reporter for the Echo.  ::)

After listening to the press conference, he's asked many questions with reference to England, so it's understandable if his patience is stretched - hence the 'I prefer to concentrate on training and coaching my team'.
      And as for if he would consider the England job, I'm sure his comment was purely tongue and cheek. Noticed Barrett forgot to mention Benitez saying he would consider it if his English gets better... ::)

I've added the link to Hound's post if anyone wants to listen.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #2: Nov 22, 2007 05:16:01 pm
      Too much reading into it really I reckon!

If Rafa didn't budge when he was offered the Madrid job, he won't go for the England job!
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan
      • Started Topic

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #3: Nov 22, 2007 05:36:22 pm
      a statement has been released on the official website by g&h stating that they will not be discussing potential transfers until the new year
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Nov 22, 2007 05:53:42 pm
      a statement has been released on the official website by g&h stating that they will not be discussing potential transfers until the new year

Rightly so too! Don't want our targets getting bandied about, for Chelsea to pick up on them!

Just seen some of the interview! I don't think there's any deep rooted problem there! I think he just couldn't find the words he wanted!

And saying about maybe going into international management later in his career? Of course he's not going to deny it, no manager is going to shoot down this prospect! But I don't think he's packing his bags to move to Soho just yet!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #5: Nov 22, 2007 07:00:45 pm
      Maybe the little hint of the national job was a tease.  After all moron-hio is the front runner for the job!
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Nov 22, 2007 08:17:28 pm
      Maybe the little hint of the national job was a tease.  After all moron-hio is the front runner for the job!

:laugh: Good point!
      camara14
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 157 posts | -3 
      Reply #7: Nov 22, 2007 09:44:43 pm
      media bullshit reading too much into what is being said
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Nov 22, 2007 11:41:13 pm
      Bear in mind.  This is the oh so reliable Liverpool Echo.

I think they've gone a little OTT here.  I'm sure Rafa will have something to say this week.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Nov 23, 2007 12:30:14 am
      This is what surprised me though Court. The Echo aren't usually bad for reports. I think it could be a case of Tony Barrett trying to step into the shoes of Chris Bascombe and going the wrong way about.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #10: Nov 23, 2007 12:44:39 am
      Yep - Tony Barrett trying to make a name for himself. 

Rafa seemed very pissed of in that interview - but I'm hardly surprised.  They were something of the most useless questions I've ever heard asked at a press conference.

You'll never make it to the NOTW at this rate Barrett.... ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Nov 23, 2007 12:55:58 am
      This is what surprised me though Court. The Echo aren't usually bad for reports. I think it could be a case of Tony Barrett trying to step into the shoes of Chris Bascombe and going the wrong way about.

I normally believe the Echo from what they say because, when have they been wrong?

They guessed Rafa right before he became Manager, knew Torres was on our priority list in the summer.

They've got it wrong with this one I'm afraid.  I think Fabio Capello is going to get the job.  Finally a good bit of experience for a Head Coach for England.

Yep - Tony Barrett trying to make a name for himself. 

Rafa seemed very pissed of in that interview - but I'm hardly surprised.  They were something of the most useless questions I've ever heard asked at a press conference.

You'll never make it to the NOTW at this rate Barrett.... ;)

Especially that he mentioned 'I just want to work and train with my team' about 10 times. 

Expect Mr. Barrett to be called into the office tomorrow with the Editor with a cane in hand!!  :D
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #12: Nov 23, 2007 07:06:50 am
      I normally believe the Echo from what they say because, when have they been wrong?

They guessed Rafa right before he became Manager, knew Torres was on our priority list in the summer.

They've got it wrong with this one I'm afraid.  I think Fabio Capello is going to get the job.  Finally a good bit of experience for a Head Coach for England.

Especially that he mentioned 'I just want to work and train with my team' about 10 times. 

Expect Mr. Barrett to be called into the office tomorrow with the Editor with a cane in hand!!  :D

I think too much has been made of an innocent comment, and this is the type of reporter that the Echo don't need!  It's bad enough when mediocre newspapers and reporters get things wrong.  Also, if Rafa Benitez was to say 'back me or sack me' to the chairmen then it would be ridiculous due to the fact that he has been soundly backed since they took over i.e. Torres & Babel didn't come on the cheap, as i'm sure Mascherano won't, but i'm also sure that Benitez will be backed in his attempt to make Mascherano a permanent Liverpool player.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #13: Nov 23, 2007 09:34:00 am

They've got it wrong with this one I'm afraid.  I think Fabio Capello is going to get the job.  Finally a good bit of    experience for a Head Coach for England.

I wouldnt mind Fabio Capello taking over Pako"s job, or even being manager.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Nov 23, 2007 10:56:37 am
      According to the Times - Rafa last night insisted he was 'serious' with his comments.

Rafa and the Americans having another fall out? These tempestuous Mediterraneans eh?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Nov 23, 2007 11:03:03 am
      It looks like it's going all tits up. 

If they don't help us secure Mascherano in January they are definately Nazis.   :gunhappyyank:
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #16: Nov 23, 2007 01:02:52 pm
      I've only seen Rafa talk about securing Masch recently... in the light of Man City and Barcelona sniffing for a Jan deal.

I reckon Rafa WOULD go for the England job.

His daughters and wife settled in the UK (all learning english) and a move away from Merseyside managing the national set-up would work for him and his family.

BUT... Fleet Street won't have it. He doesn't feed them enough material... which is why the jump on his head at the mearest of opportunities.

Probably won't happen.

But beginning to think that Rafa isn't happy with the support from the Yanks.

WHERE IS RICK PARRY? It's HIS job to ensure the boat between USA and Merseyside doesn't rock... and certainly less in public.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #17: Nov 23, 2007 03:28:51 pm
      two words..........

Media Bullsh*t
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #18: Nov 23, 2007 03:56:01 pm
      This is one and the same posts really regarding the other about Hicks and Rafa and the media looking for another excuse to take pot shots and look for sensationlism when none is there. Rafa needs to very careful about things from now on in my opion, because if results dont go our way in the next 2 games he is gonna be under extreme pressure, especially from me as Im going to the Porto game on Wednesday after a 500 mile round trip so we better F***ing well win it.
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 23, 2007 04:56:42 pm
      I hope to god he stays I think ill actually be depressed if he leaves. He is right in what he is saying sort of hicks and Gillette know barely anything about the game the team needs time to gel with the new signings, and Benitez is a genius in his area. patience is a virtue the scum never won the league for 25 years or something and Alex chewyface never won it for 6 years and he was on the verge of getting the sack.

just hicks and gillette please have some patience :(
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #20: Nov 23, 2007 05:26:36 pm
      I think its just a little confrontation between manager and chairmen and benitez rightly so has been told to concentrate on what he has for a few weeks.  I can't see Benitez really taking something like this too far, its a common thing to direct your colleagues.  I just think it was taken out of proportion by the media, surprise surprise!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #21: Nov 23, 2007 06:52:21 pm
      16/1 with Paddy Power for Benitez next England boss - same as Scolari.  Shearer's at 14/1.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #22: Nov 23, 2007 06:56:08 pm
      16/1 with Paddy Power for Benitez next England boss - same as Scolari.  Shearer's at 14/1.

What odds is Sven?

Quick Reply