Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Marseille v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

Read 28045 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Marseille v Liverpool - Post Match Thread
      Dec 09, 2007 10:23:57 pm

Marseille v Liverpool

Champions League. 11/12/2007 19:45 Kick Off. ITV1

Time for the group decider and hopefully another memorable Liverpool FC night in Europe for the right reasons.

Got to expect our strongest side possible for this and no thoughts on a particular important game that follows please.

With Marseille proping a good part of the French league up, you know they've been conceding a few goals here or there. And it's up to us to test them on their defensive abilities from the first whistle. This is a game we must win.
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2007 12:22:17 am by redkenny »
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Olympique Marseille v Liverpool - Champions League 11/12/2007
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2007 10:39:44 pm
      This is a must-win for the great LFC, and win it we must! I am not worried. Their goal at Anfield :f_tongueincheek: was one of those balls you didn't expect will make its way into the net. We can take these ones to the cleaners. LFC! We are the Champions!
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 09:41:47 pm by solodee »
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2007 10:40:39 pm
      Crunch time.  It's now or never.

We need 3 points simple as.  Careless results like 1 - 0 against Marseille at home and then Besiktas away 2 - 1 have put us in the position we are in now.

Let's not get careless just because Marseille are in a bad run of form.
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2007 10:50:10 pm
      The winning First 11

Reina

Finnan Carragher Hyypia Arbeloa

Benayun Gerrard Mascherano Babel

Crouch Torres

Subs: Kuyt Kewell Veronin/Lucas Itanje

Like we all know, Riise will be part of the starting 11. Its getting harder to know who will be on the bench.

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2007 10:54:02 pm
      This is a must-win for the great LFC, and win it we must! I am not worried. Their goal at Stamford Bridge was one of those balls you didn't expect will make its way into the net. We can take these ones to the cleaners. LFC! We are the Champions!

Anyone else confused ?
      Of cause it's a must win !!, anything less and were out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #5: Dec 10, 2007 12:46:02 am
      Must-win, jumpers for goalposts, we only need three points.

All the cliches will be coming out this week.

Did I mention we need to win this?
      Cy
      Reply #6: Dec 10, 2007 12:52:54 am
      It's a must win game that is for sure although a draw could be a possibility if Besiktas was beating Porto which seems unlikely, if it was the case, we would go through with the best goal difference in the head-to-head matches between us, marseille and porto.

We need to go out there and kill the game early, the crowd will be massive there for marseille, in one of the most mythical french stadium. Come on you reds!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #7: Dec 10, 2007 01:45:04 am
      Just gotta do it. COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Dec 10, 2007 07:19:12 am
      There are no options we must win against Marseilles and come back to Anfield in the right frame of mind to give Manure the hiding we owe them from last season.Go the REDS these next 2 games are must win.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #9: Dec 10, 2007 09:03:54 am

Marseille v Liverpool
      With Marseille proping a good part of the French league up, you know they've been conceding a few goals here or there. And it's up to us to test them on their defensive abilities from the first whistle.

As I recall Kenny they were not going great shakes in the French League the last time we played them.

We must not underestimate them again and continually give the ball away in midfield.  In other words, and I hate to say this, leave Sissoko at home.

Am I getting paranoid or do we seem to have a mare whenever he plays?

As with the last two Champions League games this is a must win match.  Has anyone else mentioned this? ???

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 09:06:17 am by Oldred »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Dec 10, 2007 09:31:24 am
      win, get the 3 points and qualify...nothing else matters.....Manure can wait...let's take care of business first.....I'd hate to go out in the group stages of the CL, it would be a massive blow to the lads and us the supporters. It's crunch time....we have to show everyone why we've been in two CL finals in the last 3 years. This is where the real road to Moscow 08 starts. Go you boys.... I predict 3-0 Stevie to continue his rich vein of form, Djib Cisse to show where his real heart his with an oggie ;) and then Babel to come on as a super sub and put the match to rest and LFC into last 16. GO YOU REDS :kop5cf8koxp6:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Dec 10, 2007 10:48:01 am
      I hope your right Aussie Red........but I don't think it's going to be that easy over there.

A difficult game indeed this one and I'm going for a 2-1 to the Reds, think it will be pretty tight, but I hope I'm wrong :-\

All depends who Rafa plays and whose on the subs bench, deffo got to be our strongest team whatever that is, cos everyone's got their own opinion on that particular subject.....just hope no-one gets injured for the manure game.

In Rafa we trust.....In Liverpool we have faith to win.

COME ON LIVERPOOL :scarf: :scarf:
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #12: Dec 10, 2007 11:08:32 am
      excerpt from "itv.com"  : 

"They are confident and we will be vigilant and will have to play at an intense pace. We need to recuperate and prepare for this match well."

That's what they said, "intense pace", i can't see anything else from them except that, as they will expect us to come at them furiously. So I say, match them pace by pace, stride by stride and tackle by tackle. Break their rhythm and break their hearts and wear them out. Don't let them play football, close the down fast. If they attack, we persevere and we look for the opportunity to pound. They're not that great defensively.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #13: Dec 10, 2007 11:13:29 am
      I hope your right Aussie Red........but I don't think it's going to be that easy over there.

A difficult game indeed this one and I'm going for a 2-1 to the Reds, think it will be pretty tight, but I hope I'm wrong :-\

All depends who Rafa plays and whose on the subs bench, deffo got to be our strongest team whatever that is, cos everyone's got their own opinion on that particular subject.....just hope no-one gets injured for the manure game.

In Rafa we trust.....In Liverpool we have faith to win.

COME ON LIVERPOOL :scarf: :scarf:

Scoring early will be extremely crucial to us, that will bring them out of their shell and open up the game and we should then see how good they are, defensively.
      stellaakasugar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #14: Dec 10, 2007 11:21:34 am
      I got a good feeling about this game! (Stella's fellings are always good!!)  ;D

After our silly defeat against Reading, we have got to come out strong and run our little socks off!
      I think we do tend to come out fighting in the champs league anyway, im sure this will be the same case!
      we wont go without a fight thats for sure!

Im hoping on a 3 - 1 to the Mighty Reds.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #15: Dec 10, 2007 12:18:56 pm
      This is the occasion for our team to stand up and be counted!!!  We require from them an emphatic display of their, and our clubs European credentials.
      THIS IS A MUST WIN GAME AND NOTHING LESS WILL BE EXCEPTABLE!!! 
      Come on lads you know what is required of you
       YNWA
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 12:29:28 pm by neilh2105 »
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #16: Dec 10, 2007 12:50:34 pm
      OK, its in situations like this, that LIVERPOOL stands up and does the job required, nothing less....
      Its why we are feared opponents all around the Football World....
      and it is never over till the final whistle,(does 2005 ring a bell)
      and the fat lady yet again sings YNWA with the rest of us...

There is no doubt that our lads will give their all and play in the LIVERPOOL spirit

I wont try to predict a team line up, I haven't gotten 1 right all year (has anyone ?)

Kewell to come on and shred their already demoralized defence and take the game away from them....
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 12:53:59 pm by The Anfield Warrior »
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #17: Dec 10, 2007 01:08:10 pm
      There is no way we are ready to make an exit out of the CL, so this game is another opportunity for us to put the stumble against Reading into the past and march into the next round full of confidence and swagger. It's going to be a tight affair, but like the skipper promised, the class and talent of a club that are winners of this competition 5 times over will shine through and the result will be in our favour...

As far as team selections is concerned, Mo Sissoko didn't do his suddenly spiralling Liverpool profile any favours with his perfomance on Saturday and I will be surprised if he gets the nod in the centre. I think this a game for Babel to start and Kewell to finish and Torres to provide the 'finishing touch' against a team struggling for consistency in their league. But it will be interesting to see Rafa's choice as to how he chooses what he considers a strong enough side to prove the downfall of Marseille.

I can't wait, its going to be a hard old graft, but we will show composure and class progress to the next round...
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Dec 10, 2007 01:37:06 pm
      Cisse saying he knows he will have a very good game tomorrow on Champions League weekly...

Hope he doesn't... wonder what hair-do he will come up with??
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #19: Dec 10, 2007 03:58:55 pm
      Oh I see now, it's Sissoko's fault, absolutely everything is Sissoko's fault as he was the only player on the pitch Saturday.

Seriously mate, that's the sort of excuse I'd expect from an Everton fan.
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #20: Dec 10, 2007 04:28:32 pm
      Oh I see now, it's Sissoko's fault, absolutely everything is Sissoko's fault as he was the only player on the pitch Saturday.

Seriously mate, that's the sort of excuse I'd expect from an Everton fan.

u look back over the results and if you look at all the bad ones compared with the good ones you will see that sissoko is in pratically every bad one n only about 3 good ones

(sorry about the bad spelling)
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 04:39:42 pm by redkenny »
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #21: Dec 10, 2007 04:35:42 pm
      And its sissokos fault we lost to marseille anyway, remember he messed up with the ball and they went and scored. I'm not saying its all his fault but he has been responsible for quite a few of the goals we have let in and we have only played well once with him this season. And is it me or did he keep taking the ball off of his own team mates on saturday (mainly Hobbs)?
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 04:41:37 pm by redkenny »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Dec 10, 2007 04:38:35 pm
      Silly me, I thought football was a team sport.

Quick Reply