Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Chelsea v Liverpool (Wed 19th Dec)

Read 19690 times
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Chelsea v Liverpool (Wed 19th Dec)
      Dec 16, 2007 09:02:59 pm
      Well, lets get that dismal result out of the way and prepare for the Mickey Mou... er I mean Carling Cup tie at the Bridge. Predictions, comments, and who do you think Rafa should play

I think it will be 1-2 to us with a Gerrard free kick in injury time winning it for us.
      Itandje should get a start, hoping to see more of Lucas as well. Babel impresses me more every game.

(1st time I have posted a match thread, so sorry if its as bad as Neverton)

Route to the Quater Finals (2 games)

Reading 2-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 2-1 Cardiff

Hull 0-4 Chelsea
      Chelsea 4-3 Leicester (funny as they were 0-1 and 2-3 down, Lamb-pie scored a Hat Trick tho)
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 01:19:30 pm by JD »
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Re: Chel$ea vs. Liverpool
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2007 09:06:26 pm
      Two nil to us, hopefully! Maybe Agger or Alonso will get a run in this match, as well as maybe Hobbs and Lucas?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2007 09:08:50 pm
      Well, lets get that dismal performance out of the way and prepare for the Mickey Mou... er I mean Carling Cup tie at the Bridge. Predictions, comments etc.

That wasn't a 'dismal' performance by a long chalk, we played them off the park and they won by a 'lucky' goal when our concentration lapsed by a second.  Bring Chelski on, we'll do them on Wednesday  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #3: Dec 16, 2007 09:21:46 pm
      I want us to play our reserves.

We have bigger fish to fry this season.

IF our reseves are not up to beating them... they can keep the Soya Milk Lager Cuppa.
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2007 09:27:00 pm
      Just hope we're not so reserved in attack as we were against United and Babel needs to start. HEl ooked great against United .so unlucky not to have scored,. Mascherano was also a bit off for me . I was hoping lucas would replace him but it didn't happen.Hope Lucas also gets a run against Chelski
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2007 09:38:58 pm
      i gotta be honest, i couldn't give a rattlin F**k how we do in the carling cup, no matter who we play. the league is number one, two and three for me.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2007 09:40:02 pm
      Just hope we're not so reserved in attack as we were against United and Babel needs to start. HEl ooked great against United .so unlucky not to have scored,. Mascherano was also a bit off for me . I was hoping lucas would replace him but it didn't happen.Hope Lucas also gets a run against Chelski

If you think Masch was a bit off today - you frankly have no F***ing clue about the game.

He was superb, world-class, sublime in his holding midfield role today.

F**k me... some of the things you have to read on here.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2007 09:50:08 pm
      don, i now you like a bit of confromtation, but masch was fairly average at best today.  sublime...world class...superb, not on todays performance old son. having said that, he wasn't the only one who cam up short today.
      Ju
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2007 10:04:46 pm
      I agree about Mascherano, he didnt play that well today
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2007 10:13:30 pm
      I agree about Mascherano, he didnt play that well today

Are you messing? He was F***ing tremendous! I'm not even going to waste my time!.... :-\
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2007 10:20:35 pm
      If you think Masch was a bit off today - you frankly have no F***ing clue about the game.

He was superb, world-class, sublime in his holding midfield role today.

F**k me... some of the things you have to read on here.

Are you messing? He was F***ing tremendous! I'm not even going to waste my time!.... :-\

sorry but I disagree with both of you and Im really beginning to think that Don is a wind up merchant. Masch was not at his best today sorry but he wasnt. He was full of nervous energy and ran out of position on a number of occasions he also let the nervous energy get the better of his temprement today after getting a booking for a trivial incident like throwing that ball. And before you harp on Im not slating him by any long stretch, he tried hard and battled hard but was not totally on his game not by a long stretch, I have seen him play a lot better in fact a lot lot better.

And before you berate me about knowing F**k all about the game.... Im not gonna bother as I think you know better than that.

As far as the chavs go Im going to the game and hopefully we can get one up on those cockney russians, I hope so anyway it will make things hurt less than they do right now.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2007 10:38:21 pm
      sorry but I disagree with both of you and Im really beginning to think that Don is a wind up merchant. Masch was not at his best today sorry but he wasnt. He was full of nervous energy and ran out of position on a number of occasions he also let the nervous energy get the better of his temprement today after getting a booking for a trivial incident like throwing that ball. And before you harp on Im not slating him by any long stretch, he tried hard and battled hard but was not totally on his game not by a long stretch, I have seen him play a lot better in fact a lot lot better.

And before you berate me about knowing F**k all about the game.... Im not gonna bother as I think you know better than that.

As far as the chavs go Im going to the game and hopefully we can get one up on those cockney russians, I hope so anyway it will make things hurt less than they do right now.

Wouldn't acuse you of knowing f*ck all Prag! ;)

I do disagree though mate, I do think he played well! The booking was a bit silly though, agreed on that! But I feel that we held them well enough, just gutted they got their shot off! :-\

Back on topic from me however.... :P

Of course the Carling Cup isn't up there with the Prem or the CL! But I seriously hope we do them on Wednesday! Book ourselves a two leg derby! ;D
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Re: Chelsea v Liverpool (Wed 19th Dec)
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2007 11:11:17 pm
      Back onto the topic, I think this would be a time where we could play our returning-from-injury-players Xabi wasn't going to start againest Manure but Chelsea doesn't matter as much. I'm not sure when Agger comes back but if he is able to play he must. We don't want to play too many reserves otherwise, we will get done too easily, but Lucas or Leto should start this one. El Zhar i'm thinking about but i think it would be nice if we could win the Carling Cup, it might be our best chance for Silverware at the moment. Voronin should start alongside Crouch, It may be early but the team i think will be:
                                             Itandje
      Arbeloa               Hobbs                   Hyypia              Aurelio
      Leto/Babel      Xabi Alonso/Masch      Gerrard/Lucas    Leto/Babel
                               Crouch                  Voronin 
      But this line-up depends on who Chelsea play, if they play full strength, we won't win with a team like this.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2007 12:00:38 am
      This midweek game will be VERY intriguing as to what side Rafa puts out.  One thing is for sure - the most important game in the week ahead is the weekend game against Portsmouth.

I'd happily lose to this Chelsea mob and take three points against Pompey who are <shock horror> on the same frigging points as us!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2007 07:59:55 am
      I hope we beat Chelsea in the Carling Cup whatever team we put out.Im of the opinion the REDS should win any cup they can.I remember  the late great Emlyn Hughes winning the old league cup with Wolves the season after he left the REDS,I think that gave Emlyn the full set.People might not rate the Carling cup but if we get through to the final tickets will still be hard to come by.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #15: Dec 17, 2007 10:14:17 am
      That wasn't a 'dismal' performance by a long chalk, we played them off the park and they won by a 'lucky' goal when our concentration lapsed by a second.  Bring Chelski on, we'll do them on Wednesday  ;)

Nice one! Called it the way it really was!

I think Babel should start as a striker alongside Torres. Kuyt, Crouch and Veronin can start from the bench from now on. It's become clearer that Babel should start as a striker, Kewell is doing well holding down the left flank.

We will beat Chelsea, I am looking for (4-0)
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2007 10:15:52 am
      We dont have a good record at the bridge but it would be nice to see us in the draw for the semis along with Everton.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Dec 17, 2007 10:45:26 am
      I would like to see a mix of first teamers and hopefuls and reserves:

Itandje

Arbeloa    Hobbs  Carragher  Aurelio

El Zhar                     Lucas     Leto
                    Benayoun

Voronin     Crouch

Bouzannis  Insua  Gerrard Sissoko Nemeth

Doubt we'll win but i dont see this competition as priority, the premier league and CL are what we are aiming for and shouldnt risk any players ahead of the christmas period.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Dec 17, 2007 11:59:31 am
      I would like to see a mix of first teamers and hopefuls and reserves:

Itandje

Arbeloa    Hobbs  Carragher  Aurelio

El Zhar                     Lucas     Leto
                    Benayoun

Voronin     Crouch

Bouzannis  Insua  Gerrard Sissoko Nemeth

Doubt we'll win but I dont see this competition as priority, the premier league and CL are what we are aiming for and shouldnt risk any players ahead of the christmas period.

I'd play a team like that, although I'd start Gerrard with Lucas in the middle and let Torres at them rather than Voronin! I know it's not vital that we win the Carling Cup but either a semi final or final derby? It's too much to pass up! ;) That's a good mix of up and coming players and match winners! ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Dec 17, 2007 01:38:39 pm
      I'd bring on Torres after 60 minutes after Voronin undoubtedly fails his job and Gerrard in for Benayoun after he burns out.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: Dec 17, 2007 06:12:12 pm
      babel and crouch upfront please. john terry is injured so use babels pace. el zhar on the right lucas in centre maybe with alonso kewell left and defence arbeloa carra hyypia and riise/aurelio
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #21: Dec 17, 2007 06:15:58 pm
      My team would be:

GK: Itandje

RB: Arbeloa (Finnan if match fit)
      CB: Hobbs & Hyypia
      LB: Aurelio

RM: Benayoun
      CM: Lucas
      CM: Gerrard
      LM: Kewell

FWD: Crouch
      FWD: Voronin

My selection in Midfield is mainly influenced by the fact Chelsea have a good midfield. And Rafa should have learned not to field understrenght teams in the Carling Cup against Premier League. Kewell is still not quite match fit. Hobbs and Hyypia played well against Bolton together. Voronin also needs to be able to play more games. Crouch just needs to boost his confidence, in my eyes he should have started against United. Finnan would be my first pick at right back, if fit because he also needs to get back to fitness. Thats it really. I would also play Agger and maybe Alonso in place of Lucas if they are both able to play, because they should get some match practise in a game only considered important coz its Chel$ki Abramograd.
      chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #22: Dec 17, 2007 07:36:46 pm
      I think its has to be the following in my view

Itandje
      Finnan   Hobbs  Hyypia   Aurelio

Benayoun  Gerrard  Alonso  Kewell

Crouch  Torres

not too sure if rafa will play torres tho he may be rested, and also Alonso first run out may give him 60 mint then put Lucas on!

Quick Reply