Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Liverpool v Portsmouth (22nd December)

Read 20939 times
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Liverpool v Portsmouth (22nd December)
      Dec 19, 2007 09:55:53 pm
      Liverpool v Portsmouth

Saturday 22nd December, 3pm kick off

Well, after another defeat in England, lets get back to the Kop.

Its a game against Pompey. A 2-0 win for us I think.

We need the confidence in my eyes. Or we could have to wait until Derby for our next win.
      « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2007 05:35:12 pm by JD »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Liverpool v. Portsmouth (22 Dec)
      Reply #1: Dec 19, 2007 11:37:07 pm
      Hello Fellow Liverpudlians,

This is my very first post coming all the way from downunder. I had to wake up at 6am to watch us put on anothe poor and dreadful performance against Chelsea. I really am getting tired of Rafa's squad selection there is absokutely no continuity and our form and performance on the feld justifies this. How can we change 9 players and expect to get a result at a ground that we have one only once in the last 15 years. I know the Carling Cup is not a glorious fete but we are painfully letting everything slip away from us slowly, 10 pts behind Arsenal a bitter fight to qualify to the last 16 of the Champions League with the prospect of facing Real Madrid, Barca and the Milans.

The most troubling thing is that we have no set game plan other than to pass the ball back to Carragher who will boot it up 60m and then we all do it again over and over. Our best performances so far have been results of indvidual brilliance either Torres has stepped up Stevie G, Benayoun against Besiktas or someone else stepping up.

And we purchase these youngsters every year Nunes, Gonzales, Aurelio and the biggest tit of them all Lukas Leiva. Seriously this guy has no pace intensity nor heart to play in the EPL let alone a sacred club like LFC. We have had some tits in our team before Biscan always come to mind but at least this guy was a fighter. I cant believe that this guy captains the U21 Brazilian tam  ahead of Man Utd's Anderson, who ripped our midfield apart on Sunday. Why do we constantly fail in bronging quality youngsters to our side???

Looking ahead against Portsmouth we will probably see a whole new starting eleve with exception to Carragher. I just hope that Xabi was subbed because he was tired and not injured, we really need to have Stevie G and Xabi working together and finally picking our best 11 that will start creating chances and playing some good footy. I would say we throw Babel on again for his pace because we will need that to break Portsmouth stellar defence down.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #2: Dec 19, 2007 11:39:49 pm
      im going for 3-0 for us, we should win this.

C'MON REDS!!!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,615 posts | 6930 
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2007 11:41:31 pm
      A good return for the word 'tit' which is most underused in my opinion.

Welcome.

The Pompey clash is not going to be a walkover but I said before tonight that I would have quite happily traded a loss against Chelsea with three points at the weekend.  3 defeats in 4 games is a poor spell.  It must end this weekend.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2007 11:45:30 pm
      Welcome to the forum Dadorious!

i dont agree with you on Lucas being a tit or arelio for that matter but i see your point about anderson, the guys a nutter i hated him for that on sunday.

im from perth mate, where abouts are you?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Dec 20, 2007 12:06:01 am

This is my very first post coming all the way from downunder. I had to wake up at 6am to watch us put on anothe poor and dreadful performance against Chelsea. I really am getting tired of Rafa's squad selection there is absokutely no continuity and our form and performance on the feld justifies this. How can we change 9 players and expect to get a result at a ground that we have one only once in the last 15 years. I know the Carling Cup is not a glorious fete but we are painfully letting everything slip away from us slowly, 10 pts behind Arsenal a bitter fight to qualify to the last 16 of the Champions League with the prospect of facing Real Madrid, Barca and the Milans.

The most troubling thing is that we have no set game plan other than to pass the ball back to Carragher who will boot it up 60m and then we all do it again over and over. Our best performances so far have been results of indvidual brilliance either Torres has stepped up Stevie G, Benayoun against Besiktas or someone else stepping up.

And we purchase these youngsters every year Nunes, Gonzales, Aurelio and the biggest tit of them all Lukas Leiva. Seriously this guy has no pace intensity nor heart to play in the EPL let alone a sacred club like LFC. We have had some tits in our team before Biscan always come to mind but at least this guy was a fighter. I cant believe that this guy captains the U21 Brazilian tam  ahead of Man Utd's Anderson, who ripped our midfield apart on Sunday. Why do we constantly fail in bronging quality youngsters to our side???

Looking ahead against Portsmouth we will probably see a whole new starting eleve with exception to Carragher. I just hope that Xabi was subbed because he was tired and not injured, we really need to have Stevie G and Xabi working together and finally picking our best 11 that will start creating chances and playing some good footy. I would say we throw Babel on again for his pace because we will need that to break Portsmouth stellar defence down.

Good to see someone starting off their first post not being a few words. But frankly, I think you've been watching us without waking up the way you go on mate. Biscan better than Lucas? Are you sure you're not Biscan in disguise? He always looked sleepy.

FULL TIME: Chelsea 2-0 Liverpool

And thats typical, my first match thread on here ends in a 2-0 defeat. Think I will do Portsmouth? ;D

Wasn't funny that Finnan4eva. Can we delete this thread and start again?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6: Dec 20, 2007 12:53:22 am
      Hi guys,

DOBBS83 im from Sydney mate theres quite a few fans down here in Sydney. I never stated that Biscan was better than Lukas just that they are both tit players. Come on what did Lukas do this morning that would justify Rafa putting him in the starting 11 in important matches, fair enough hes young but not that young when you look at some of the Arsenal guys even Sinclair outgunned him this morning. I dunno I hope im wrong about this guy but what ive seen so far i cant help but be sceptical.A

Anyways the match against Pompey will be tough i reckon a hard fought 1-0 victory to the Reds courtesy of Torres.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Dec 20, 2007 01:00:37 am

Welcome mate!

Cannot agree with you on these 'tit's (agreed JD, welcome return of an old friend ;D) you refer to. Lucas has shown a lot of promise, and some good spells during tonights game. Between him and Babel I genuinely thought we could have took something from tonights match. And Anderson didn't terrorise our defence on Sunday. We held well against the mancs and they got a scrappy goal! Don't let the result fool you! And Biscan? Don't get me started, God love him.....

On topic however, I think the Portsmouth game is going to be difficult! They're a good outfit now, hard to break down and a bit tastier coming forward than they used to be! :-\ But with a full strength side, I reckon we can do them! Get an early goal, knock the stuffing out of them and bang a few more in to announce our arrival (again! :-\)

Much prefer three points on Saturday than progression in the Carling Cup! (Although from some people's perspectives, we're going to need a cup to get into Europe! ;) Damn negative arses! ;))
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #8: Dec 20, 2007 02:44:29 am
      Coming on the heel of two straight losses, I believe the third match will be a winner. looking for a (3) - (0) win against Pompey and Portsmouth.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #9: Dec 20, 2007 03:48:10 am
      we need the three points this weekend. it is pretty embarassing to lose to chelski and man utd., and if we play the same as we did against those two, we might have our hearts broken again. i don't know whats goin on with us, but we're comin up on the last half of the season, and if we're not careful, we're gonna get caught in a rut like we did last year in the premeirship.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #10: Dec 20, 2007 05:52:04 am
      Everytime we play in the prem, its a must win game and Saturday will be no different. The confidence is waning just a little and a good win against Portsmouth will prove to be just what the doctor ordered. They have certainly become a rather sticky outfit who sieze on errors and punish sides who give them half a chance but they came unstuck against Spurs at home last weekend. We have too much quality in our side and playing in front of an expectant Kop will be the tonic to energise a Liverpool side and exorcise any demons from the previous home game that may possess referees from time to time...

Come on you reds...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Dec 20, 2007 07:23:53 am
      The REDS have got to get back on a winning track again and go on another long run undefeated.It was hard to accept the defeat by Manure but the 3 points could of been ours, we made a defensive mistake and paid for it dearly.Its time to give RAFA and the team our full support and hope they take Portsmouth to the cleaners.
      phat2kingz
      • On Trial

• 4 posts | -1 
      Reply #12: Dec 20, 2007 07:27:55 am
      lucas is still growing..i think he can become like stevie g.. u just need to trust in rafa..liverpool does not deserve to lose to chelsea last night..our young goalie were briliant..jack hobbs also fantastic from my opinion..we start trumbling after crouch been sent off..

rafa need 3points on this weekend, thats why he rested our star player..my prediction for pompey game will be 3-0. gerard and torres will come back.they will beat james without hesitation..

just trust in rafa..YNWA :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Dec 20, 2007 07:41:41 am
      A must win much but this one had a bit of added pressure and against a strong team like Pompey. I want to see a strong side put out with some direction and a precise plan from Rafa with NO hoofs upfield from Carragher. Hopefully Finnan is fit and Arbeloa and Carragher can play together in the centre with Fabio at LB, no disprespect to Sami who has put in some great performances lately but with probably Utaka and Benjani up front who have some pace about them he could be exposed on the ground and with Alvaro in the middle with abit more pace and just a good defender i think it will help our cause.
      Harry and Yossi on the wings with Stevie and Xabi in the middle with Dirk and Fernando up front. We have creativity on the wings which hopefully could expose our class above their's. Stevie and Fernando link up like usual but now Xabi with that added attacking threat over Masch and better quality passes. Xabi has been that missing piece in our link up play from defence to attack since his injury.

1-0 victory to the good with a Stevie assist to Fernando in the '57th.

Happy days.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #14: Dec 20, 2007 11:38:41 am
      Wasn't funny that Finnan4eva. Can we delete this thread and start again?

I am determined to get a win this time! If we don't I swear down I will to the game against Derby to get a win!
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #15: Dec 20, 2007 11:38:58 am
      Another must win.

I would play, if all fit:

PR
      SF JC SH AA

SG XA JM RB

DK FT

Subs: I, EZ, DA, LL, YB

I expect Harry to ask the Pompey boys to be physical.

Can't wait to see El Niño skin Sol !!!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #16: Dec 20, 2007 12:01:33 pm
      Well, after another defeat in England, lets get back to the Kop.

Its a game against Pompey. A 2-0 win for us i think.

We need the confidence in my eyes. Or we could have to wait until Derby for our next win.

I'm so desperate to see my name in lights I've started a new match thread minutes after the end of our last game.

Bit more like the truth.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #17: Dec 20, 2007 01:11:33 pm
      Portsmouth is dangerous if they're able to go pass our midfielders, they can really shoot and our midfileders must play it very tight and close them down fast, no room for them to roam. If we can do that we will truly frustrate them and they may throw more people forward and we have to use our speed to catch them off guard at the other end. On the other hand, they may also try to close down our midfielders fast. So, we may have to use the flanks and Babel will have to start. However, our passing will need a big improvement for us to pentrate their defence. Watch out for John Utagi, he's a menace and plays on the right. If we have Riise marking him he will run rings around Riise. He's one player that we should target comes January. Besides that, we need to score early and get them out of their shell and open up the game and their game plan would most probably to play for a draw and we can't allow that to happen. Every player will have to pull up their socks and don't just rely on Stevie and Torres to create the openings.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #18: Dec 20, 2007 10:27:11 pm
      Going to this. My 2nd game this season an I'm buzzing.

We created a few great chances at Fratton Park. Hopefully now Rafa will play Torres and we can bag some. He should run rings round their centre backs. Especially Campbell, He's not too quick on his feet.

Going for 2-0.
      « Last Edit: Dec 20, 2007 10:44:12 pm by paulrobbo »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #19: Dec 21, 2007 12:00:59 am
      Going to this. My 2nd game this season an I'm buzzing.

We created a few great chances at Fratton Park. Hopefully now Rafa will play Torres and we can bag some. He should run rings round their centre backs. Especially Campbell, He's not too quick on his feet.

Going for 2-0.

Oh yes, I've forgotten about Campbell. Fully agreed here. But first the players will have to work on how to get the ball to Torres in dangerous positions as he will definitely be tightly marked. Hopefully we take a few shots at goal hoping that James will fumble a few here and there for our forwards to pound on.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool v Portsmouth (22nd December) Pre Match
      Reply #20: Dec 21, 2007 01:00:09 am
      Crucial game for us this.

Every league game is a big one but after three defeats on the bounce it's very important to beat an awkward pompey side and get back on track. Getting results over the Christmas period really do have an effect on how you kick start the next few weeks of the new year.

I think we should be ok getting the advantage over them on the majority of the pitch. But as Saffi said, confidence is waning and we need to get that confidence on the increase going on the attack rather than things being rushed and not simple. But the problem with this though is I can't really see Kuyt or Voronin having near enough as much as an effect as Torres will. And the thought of having to rely on one forward to score goals is creeping in. Don't know about anyone else?

As much as Kuyt works his socks off for the team there has to be more in the way of being effective as a striker. And the tactics pompey usually apply is not to allow any player time on the ball once it's in their half. Doubt Kuyt will have a chance like he did against Marseille. So I hope it's not a case of seeing Kuyt chasing the game. He has to start looking dangerous. I think it would be a fair assumption to say it will be Kuyt and Torres up front. Voronin did start against Chelsea....

Crucial game. The timing of it, what's happened before it and a way of sending a message out that tricky games aren't tricky for us anymore. Time to start doing the business if we're serious about the league.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #21: Dec 21, 2007 03:05:31 am
      where can we watch/listen to it from??
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2007 03:32:25 am
      I have been over-confident going into the last few games, and then i come out of them feeling like sh*t so now i am going to lower my expectations so i don't feel bad after the game, in my heart it will be a 1-0 but in my mind i will have to say a 1-1 just so i am happy with a draw.

Quick Reply