Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Xabi Alonso Player Thread

Read 71207 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Xabi Alonso Player Thread
      Feb 04, 2008 12:16:24 pm
      Well...

His first and second seasons were brilliant, but since then has not stepped it up for us. Has brilliant range of passing but thats all I can give him for now.

Rafa Benitez has admitted that Alonso has been dropped due to his poor form:

"Xabi needs to step it up. When you are not 100% fit, you want to play every game because you need to play more games to build up your fitness.

"But if Gerrard, Mascherano or Lucas are playing well, it means there is competition for places which is good for the team.

"Xabi knows he needs to work harder if we wants to have a place in the team.

"Mascherano was back from suspension and he gives us balance in the middle and Gerrard can be more free going forward.

"Lucas was playing really well the other day so we had three midfielders, and we needed to have wingers or strikers on the bench. That's why Alonso was not in the squad on Saturday."

Is this a sign of Xabi going back to Spain next season? Rafael Benitez has obviously put Gerrard & Mascherano ahead of him, and now Lucas is creeping up the ranks so what would Xabi Alonso think about this? Seeing that he's an International for Spain I'm sure if it stays like this then he's going to want to move on pretty soon.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009 04:23:53 pm by Court LFC »
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Xabi Alonso (Midfielder)
      Reply #1: Feb 04, 2008 12:50:23 pm
      Is this a sign of Xabi going back to Spain next season? Rafael Benitez has obviously put Gerrard & Mascherano ahead of him, and now Lucas is creeping up the ranks so what would Xabi Alonso think about this? Seeing that he's an International for Spain I'm sure if it stays like this then he's going to want to move on pretty soon.

Rafa hardly ever comes out and says this about a player - ever.

For me it's the first sign that Xabi's excellent era at Anfield is nearing it's end.  Real Madrid player next season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #2: Feb 04, 2008 01:04:44 pm
      I think he will stay. Rafa seems to just be looking to get players to step up their game, he did it when crouch wasnt scoring for ages and he is doing a similar thing to kuyt due to him not scoring.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #3: Feb 04, 2008 01:16:44 pm
      I think he will stay. Rafa seems to just be looking to get players to step up their game, he did it when crouch wasnt scoring for ages and he is doing a similar thing to kuyt due to him not scoring.

I think the best players will play more often and Xabi not being one of them. Therefore Xabi is going to want to keep his place in the International squad down so he'll consider his future come the end of the season. Xabi know's Rafa's idea and Liverpool will do the best for Xabi's career.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Feb 04, 2008 01:22:33 pm
      But rafa doesnt play the best players more often as we have seen this season, Crouch not playing and Kuyt getting to is the perfect example.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Feb 04, 2008 02:07:56 pm
      But rafa doesnt play the best players more often as we have seen this season, Crouch not playing and Kuyt getting to is the perfect example.

Yeh I know what your saying but do you think if Rafa still has Xabi in his plans Xabi still has Liverpool in his plans? Especially if he's not getting games...
      This could turn out to be a similar situation as Loco Sissoko
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #6: Feb 04, 2008 02:19:27 pm

Oh that must be because he wants us to lose or give those players another chance to succeed with us then? ...honestly some people.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Feb 04, 2008 02:36:33 pm
      But does anyone actually think we need Alonso? If we could sell him and buy someone like Matias Fernandez or someone in that mould then I would be more than happy.

I do like Xabi Alonso, but its the team that comes first and I feel that Alonso has offered us nothing in the last couple of season's, especially when you see what Mashcherano has offered us and what Lucas is bound to offer us.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #8: Feb 04, 2008 03:06:28 pm
      Oh that must be because he wants us to lose or give those players another chance to succeed with us then? ...honestly some people.

Haha i critisize rafa less than most fans. Its true that he doesnt play the best players most of the time, i didn't say it was because he wanted us to lose or anything like that so no need to jump to conclusions or act like im anti-rafa.That 'honestly some people' comment was unnecesary. I know why rafa plays the players he plays so no need to jump down my throat as if i suggested he wants us to lose.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Feb 04, 2008 03:58:20 pm
      Rafa hardly ever comes out and says this about a player - ever.

For me it's the first sign that Xabi's excellent era at Anfield is nearing it's end.  Real Madrid player next season.

Im inclined to agree, and this will be a shame I cant really think of any player with as good a range of passing. This in turn leads to a more direct approach to games which we have been sadly lacking this season along with rare Peter Crouch appearences.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #10: Feb 04, 2008 04:11:03 pm
      I think you are all jumping to conclusions. Rafa is simply telling Xabi to sort out his form as this season he has not been the player we all know he is capable of being.

I am happy that Rafa has came out and said this as it has indicated he is no longer putting up with the below par performances from the players this season.

Surely Xabi knows as well as everyonelse dose that he has been playing poorly this term. I do not believe he can have any complaints.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #11: Feb 04, 2008 04:21:23 pm
      Haha I critisize rafa less than most fans. Its true that he doesnt play the best players most of the time, I didn't say it was because he wanted us to lose or anything like that so no need to jump to conclusions or act like im anti-rafa.That 'honestly some people' comment was unnecesary. I know why rafa plays the players he plays so no need to jump down my throat as if I suggested he wants us to lose.

Honestly, some people are soooooo sensitive.

Sorry. Perdon.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #12: Feb 04, 2008 04:25:07 pm
      I think you are all jumping to conclusions. Rafa is simply telling Xabi to sort out his form as this season he has not been the player we all know he is capable of being.

I am happy that Rafa has came out and said this as it has indicated he is no longer putting up with the below par performances from the players this season.

Surely Xabi knows as well as everyonelse dose that he has been playing poorly this term. I do not believe he can have any complaints.

Why single out Xabi then... why not roll Voro, Kuyt, Kewell, Gerrard and Babel in too for luck???

I would have preferred him to say, "Too many players in the squad are under-performing and they know who they are" instead of singling out one guy/Xabi... it MUST be for a reason... maybe he is angry that Xabi's agent may be touting Spanish clubs for him... Rafa always finds out these things!
      streety893
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts | -3 
      • Theres always hope in our hearts
      Reply #13: Feb 04, 2008 04:26:30 pm
      Xabi Alonso is a class midfielder who has more than proven his worth to LIVERPOOL FC his range of passing is second to none and i suspect that its only a matter of time before he gets a decent run in the side when the champions league kicks back in
      People seem to be raising doubts about individuals rather than assessing the teams overall performances
      Judge Xabi after he gets a decent run in the side is my message
      we don't need to cash in on him he is a class act more than worthy of a red jersey

form is temporary class is permanent

YNWA
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Feb 04, 2008 04:50:06 pm
      What would be the point in selling Sissoko then suddenly wanting to sell Alonso?

Put it this way.  Alonso leaves.  Mascherano gets injured & Lucas suddenly gets injured.

Gerrard in the middle on his own?  Don't think so.

Xabi is my 3rd choice Centre Midfield.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Feb 04, 2008 04:51:06 pm
      Honestly, some people are soooooo sensitive.

Sorry. Perdon.

Not really just prefer people to ask a question as to what i meant rather than acting like i was criticising.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #16: Feb 04, 2008 04:57:28 pm
      I'm not sure why Rafa has come out and said this about Alonso, when there are others who are not playing well, all you have to do is look at Kuyt, he plays most match's and Rafa does not say to much about him, and he runs around like a headless chicken.
      Is it to give Alonso a good kick up the rear end, to make him play better, as he is a good part of are midfield.
      Is Rafa laying the ground for Alonso to move on.

I hope he is just giving him a good kick up the rear end.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #17: Feb 04, 2008 05:01:24 pm
      What would be the point in selling Sissoko then suddenly wanting to sell Alonso?

Put it this way.  Alonso leaves.  Mascherano gets injured & Lucas suddenly gets injured.

Gerrard in the middle on his own?  Don't think so.

I'm not sure why Rafa has come out and said this about Alonso, when there are others who are not playing well, all you have to do is look at Kuyt, he plays most match's and Rafa does not say to much about him, and he runs around like a headless chicken.
      Is it to give Alonso a good kick up the rear end, to make him play better, as he is a good part of are midfield.
      Is Rafa laying the ground for Alonso to move on.

I hope he is just giving him a good kick up the rear end.

Rafa it is a kick of that there is no doubt - but Rafa just doesn't do his player ticking-off work in the public domain, which is the strange thing about this one. This is as pissed off as Rafa gets with a player in public... something has happened behind the scenes (probably more to do with agent activity at a time when Xabi is not playing well for the club that is paying his wages) - it's my hunch, but only that - a hunch.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #18: Feb 04, 2008 05:05:53 pm
      I admit it is very strange for Rafa to come out publicly.  But as you said.  He's on a good F***ing wage and probably needs a huge kick up the arse.

I think Kuyt is the player that needs a reality check that his days are numbered...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Feb 04, 2008 05:07:02 pm
      If this is true then it could be the perfect thing to land a world class striker to partner torres. Alonso was always going to fall behind masch in the pecking order because of the legth of the injury he had but i dont think anyone was expecting lucas to be doing as well as he has done this season. Now regarding a world class striker one comes to mind immediatley and that would be david villa. Valencia have been shocking all season and in the summer most of the stars will want to move in order to play champions league so maybe 15 or 20 million plus alonso then that should be enough for villa, hje would'nt turn us down because of the spanish contingent at the club and alonso would'nt mind a return to spain. It would be great for liverpool because torres and villa play together at international level so they already have a good partnership. If alonso s not okay about going to valencia then seeing as athletico are interested then maybe rafa would be able to prise aguero away as part of a deal.

however i would love alonso to stay but if its for the good of the player and club then why not let him go.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #20: Feb 04, 2008 05:09:30 pm
      Why single out Xabi then... why not roll Voro, Kuyt, Kewell, Gerrard and Babel in too for luck???

I would have preferred him to say, "Too many players in the squad are under-performing and they know who they are" instead of singling out one guy/Xabi... it MUST be for a reason... maybe he is angry that Xabi's agent may be touting Spanish clubs for him... Rafa always finds out these things!

Voronin is injured , Kuyt cant do anymore than he is. He gives it his absolute all every game but unfortunatley dose not look good enough for us. , Kewell has came back from injury and never plays well anyway and should be moved on. , Gerrard has scored something like 16 goals and many an assist this season , and babel has looked very lively and a great prospect when selected.

With xabi , we know exactly what he is capable of and what he should be doing week in week out. For some reason or another he hasnt deliverd thus far this season and therefore Rafa is well within his right to tell him to buck up his ideas.

In no way is this intended as to say 'xabi , your on your way' , if that was the case why sell sissoko?

Xabi is a great player and as somone said before, form in temporarybut class is permanent. Telling a player he is not performing at the level he should be , should only be taken as it is in my opinion. Rafa wants whats best for the team and that means alonso playing like we all know he can.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #21: Feb 04, 2008 05:11:39 pm
      If this is true then it could be the perfect thing to land a world class striker to partner torres. Alonso was always going to fall behind masch in the pecking order because of the legth of the injury he had but i dont think anyone was expecting lucas to be doing as well as he has done this season. Now regarding a world class striker one comes to mind immediatley and that would be david villa. Valencia have been shocking all season and in the summer most of the stars will want to move in order to play champions league so maybe 15 or 20 million plus alonso then that should be enough for villa, hje would'nt turn us down because of the spanish contingent at the club and alonso would'nt mind a return to spain. It would be great for liverpool because torres and villa play together at international level so they already have a good partnership. If alonso s not okay about going to valencia then seeing as athletico are interested then maybe rafa would be able to prise aguero away as part of a deal.

however i would love alonso to stay but if its for the good of the player and club then why not let him go.

Funny you should say that but I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day.

I was also watching highlights from the Cup game in Spain, Atletico v Valencia.  Aguero looked the most active and scored a stunning strike early in the game.  But I'm not doing a Sven by watching one game then making my mind up :D

I think maybe Aguero is the man we should be looking to bring in.  He's very young.

Villa is 26.  Not saying he is old but maybe it would be a wiser investment to prise young Aguero away from Madrid...

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #22: Feb 04, 2008 06:41:00 pm

Yeh, like Xabi is going to accept being 3rd choice in centre midfield. A player like him would rather move on and be 1st or 2nd choice rather than being a bench warmer.

Quick Reply