Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Philipp Degen Player Thread

Read 63203 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Philipp Degen Player Thread
      May 20, 2008 08:26:14 am
      Done Deal:

Liverpool Football Club today confirmed that Swiss international defender Philipp Degen will sign a contract with the club on July 1.
      The right sided full-back - who will represent his country at this summer's European Championships - is out of contract with Borussia Dortmund this summer and has opted to begin a new career on Merseyside from next season.

Philipp Degen, 25, spent four seasons in his homeland with FC Basel before his move to the Bundeslga and will provide competition for Steve Finnan and Alvaro Arbeloa in the right-back role at Anfield.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez said: "Philipp is still young but has gained great experience from playing in the Bundesliga with Borussia Dortmund and on the international stage with Switzerland. He also played in the Champions League during his time with Basel and so is used to top level football.

"He is an offensive player with great energy and a winning mentality. His strength is going forward and I am confident he will be prove to be a quality addition to our squad."

Looking ahead to the move, Degen said: "When I received the offer from Liverpool, there was no doubt I would accept it. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world and I am looking forward to the challenge of establishing myself there and playing in the best league there is."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159977080520-0812.htm
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2011 06:32:31 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Philip Degen (Borussia Dortmund) - Done Deal
      Reply #1: May 20, 2008 08:32:34 am
      :welcome: Good luck to Phillip, hope he is another Arby except with more brute in his game.

There's signing number 1. Who's the first out the door now...
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2008 08:33:53 am by smigger15 »
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #2: May 20, 2008 08:45:47 am
      Excellent, looks like we are getting stuck in early with the signings, thank F**k for Rafa!

Hope he turns out to be hungry just like Torres, masch, agger and skrtel!
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #3: May 20, 2008 08:51:57 am
      good luck to him, never heard of him but must have seen him play when we played basel a few years back. lets hope he's as good if not better than the last swiss guy we had playing for us, stephane henchoz
      jonnylfc88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 265 posts |
      Reply #4: May 20, 2008 08:58:12 am
      good to see us making our intentions clear early on, hope rafa's swooped up a gem for us, good luck to Degen, hope he does the fans and the team proud!
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #5: May 20, 2008 08:59:05 am
      Good Luck Philipp. That means no Rafinha.

Another Arbeloa hopefully! I think Finnan will leave now.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: May 20, 2008 09:04:57 am
      Lets hope he is a better player than the one we got last summer from the bundesliga,however like all players who come to Anfield I wish him all the best and hope he proves a great success for us and himself.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: May 20, 2008 09:05:58 am
      Would have prefered Little Rafa but willing to give the lad a chance.

Welcome to Anfield Phillip :D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: May 20, 2008 09:19:28 am
      Welcome to our first signing of the summer, I really hope he fits in quickly and establishes himself. It'll do Arbeloa good to have a bit of competition for that RB spot!  ;D
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #9: May 20, 2008 09:53:29 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Mr Degan!

I guess he was the "established" player Rafa was talking about then, also has some CL experience too which is always a plus.  Should prove to be interesting competition for Finnan and Arbeloa although I think we will see the latter competing with Aurellio more for the left next season.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: May 20, 2008 10:04:07 am
      Welcome to Liverpool Mr Degan!

I guess he was the "established" player Rafa was talking about then, also has some CL experience too which is always a plus.  Should prove to be interesting competition for Finnan and Arbeloa although I think we will see the latter competing with Aurellio more for the left next season.
      AJ I think it will be Insua competing for the left back position next season.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #11: May 20, 2008 10:17:59 am
      AJ I think it will be Insua competing for the left back position next season.

U reckon? if we are serious about a title charge next season that leaves little time for him to settle into a regular first team place and Arbeloa would be more suitable in my opinion.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #12: May 20, 2008 10:51:43 am
      U reckon? if we are serious about a title charge next season that leaves little time for him to settle into a regular first team place and Arbeloa would be more suitable in my opinion.

Tend to agree with Billy, we have a gem of a LB in Insua and wont take long to settle if his recent performances are anything to go by. Looking forward to seeing him more often next season.

In the immediate future though (first few weeks of the season), I see Arby occupying the LB spot while Finnan and Degen fight for the RB spot, so in that sense I very much agree AJ.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: May 20, 2008 10:52:31 am
      "He is an offensive player with great energy and a winning mentality. His strength is going forward and I am confident he will be prove to be a quality addition to our squad."

Exactly what i wanted to hear from Rafa. Welcome to our club philipp may you prove to be another fantastic signing by rafa. Cant wait to see him in action.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #14: May 20, 2008 11:02:02 am
      Tend to agree with Billy, we have a gem of a LB in Insua and wont take long to settle if his recent performances are anything to go by. Looking forward to seeing him more often next season.

In the immediate future though (first few weeks of the season), I see Arby occupying the LB spot while Finnan and Degen fight for the RB spot, so in that sense I very much agree AJ.

I remember us saying the same sort of thing with Hobbs last season and he has not really had many chances either due to the arrival of Skrtel.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15: May 20, 2008 11:27:40 am
      Hobbs i dont see coming back and really pushing for a spot. I said he may be another Otsemobor and i still think he will be. Insua though, you can tell he has real talent and will be a great player for us, just needs that normal transitional time from reserves to the first team for a few weeks and he will be alright from there i reckon, hopefully anyway ;)
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #16: May 20, 2008 11:34:10 am
      It would make a refreshing change actually for us to use some existing talant from the reserves as opposed to buying in new guys.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #17: May 20, 2008 11:44:55 am
      It would make a refreshing change actually for us to use some existing talant from the reserves as opposed to buying in new guys.

With the new lads coming through, that refreshing change may be only a few years away.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #18: May 20, 2008 12:45:05 pm
      very very depressing signing cant believe people on here are happy with this signing arsenal scum and chelsea fans are laughing at us chelsea spend 16 on botswinga utd will prob buy alves and we buy some reject from dortmud who were close to relegation and he couldn't make the team, we can forget about the league for another year thanks hicks u clown
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,230 posts | 2807 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: May 20, 2008 12:59:07 pm
      Heres a crazy idea that I thought of. Lets give the lad a chance to even sign for us fully before we start slating him and saying hes sh*te. He formed part of the Swiss defence that conceded 0 goals in the world cup for a start so lets build from that.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #20: May 20, 2008 01:05:59 pm
      Found a video of him on his website seems like an attacking fullback just like rafa said, he's pretty quick aswell.

http://www.degendegen.com/

PS. Your not seeing double he has a twin brother haha. On the website just go down and click video philipp which is on the right hand side.
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #21: May 20, 2008 01:07:20 pm
      just been confirmed he has signed this afternoon.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: May 20, 2008 01:12:02 pm
      very very depressing signing cant believe people on here are happy with this signing arsenal scum and chelsea fans are laughing at us chelsea spend 16 on botswinga utd will prob buy alves and we buy some reject from dortmud who were close to relegation and he couldn't make the team, we can forget about the league for another year thanks hicks u clown

Do you know how much we payed for him? :f_whistle:

Quick Reply