Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

David N'gog - 'tucking his clock into his Bolton sock'

Read 118172 times
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      David N'gog - 'tucking his clock into his Bolton sock'
      Jul 24, 2008 12:59:09 pm
      REDS SIGN FRENCH STRIKER NGOG

Liverpool have today signed French hotshot David Ngog from Paris Saint Germain.
      The 19-year-old becomes the fourth addition to Rafa Benitez's first-team squad after penning a four-year deal at Anfield

Ngog is one of the brightest young talents in French football.

His tally of just one goal from 18 league appearances last term was largely down to PSG's disappointing form – a contention backed up by his prolificacy on the international stage.

The lightning quick forward has scored goals at every youth level for France, including two absolute corkers against England Under-19s last season.

Ngog is the cousin of former Newcastle United defender Jean-Alain Boumsong.
      ---------------------------------------------------------

So he has been officially signed now. Glad we bought him, seems very promising and as we seem like we will leave the 4-2-3-1 behind now as good as it was, im glad we got another striker.

GS    SB   G   SH   SG   A   FC   FS   YC   RC
      14   David Ngog     8   6   1   16   5   1   30   27   0   0   (French Ligue 1)

GS: Games Started, SB: Used as Substitute, G: Goals, A: Assists, SH: Shots, SG: Shots on goal, YC: Yellow Cards, RC: Red Cards, FC: Fouls Committed, FS: Fouls Suffered.

Some stats for him from last season. May explain why the goals tally was quite low, he only got to start 8 games in a bad PSG side. I wont take the goal tally as a bad thing because when taking other things into consideration it seems he cant really be judged based on that. Rafa and the scouts must have seen something they like in him and i have faith in their judgement. Hopefully he does well for us, i think he wont be a week in week out starter but will be used in the same way as lucas was used last season, first teamer getting short runs of games and getting used to playing with his new teammates, cant wait to see him in action.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011 09:56:51 am by redkenny »
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Re: David N'gog (Player Thread)
      Reply #1: Jul 24, 2008 01:05:47 pm
      Welcome N'gog,better score plenty goals for us!!!!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Jul 24, 2008 01:17:22 pm
      i didnt realise it was him that we were signing but i watched him score 2 goals for france u19s against england and i thought to myself "hes going to be amazing when hes older"- iam delighted we got him but i dont expect to see him much in the first team
      The Reaper
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2008 02:10:48 pm
      At least we seem to be stabilising the Future, even if the Present is a bit more unsettling! ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #4: Jul 24, 2008 03:43:46 pm
      Maybe if we sell Voronin then he can fill in the void as a sub striker and get a fair number of games with the first team as since he already has experience playing first team football with PSG. It is always better to give younger player this sort of role than a average older player.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2008 11:55:41 pm

Im gonna give my very objective contribution here.... I think by his name it sounds like hes an orc from The Lord of the Rings. Ngog the chief orc.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #6: Jul 25, 2008 12:11:37 am
      I'm all for given new signings a chance and after the hype surroundin him I can't wait to see him play, but I personally don't see the point in signin him. Torres first choice, Kuyt back up, Babel third choice, Voronin/Nemeth/Linfield/Pacheco fourth choice back up and Gerrard if absoloute neccessary. Anyone who replies with Nemeth/Linfield/Pacheco are untired, what the F**k is this lad?

Throughout the season we'll hear people bang on about us havin no money. Well 3 million for a keeper, 8 million for a left back, 17 for a central midfielder if he comes and around 3 million for a forward. 30 odd million down the swanny on players who weren't essential yet we've left the right wing go another year without findin a top class player to play there. Like I say, we have money, what we do is sign the wrong players.

I hope the lad is a world beater in the makin and I look forward to seein him at Anfield.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Jul 25, 2008 12:16:31 am
      Im gonna give my very objective contribution here.... I think by his name it sounds like hes an orc from The Lord of the Rings. Ngog the chief orc.

:D :D :D Let's hope he's lord of the goals then!

Fourth addition of the summer then. Is he a replacement for Crouch or Voronin?............

Hope he does well for us. Obviously another 'potential' player with some pace. If we sign Keane though, I can't see him getting many games.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2008 05:17:00 am
      Maybe if we sell Voronin then he can fill in the void as a sub striker and get a fair number of games with the first team as since he already has experience playing first team football with PSG. It is always better to give younger player this sort of role than a average older player.

totally agree with that!

welcome David Ngog
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2008 08:10:42 am
      I'm all for given new signings a chance and after the hype surroundin him I can't wait to see him play, but I personally don't see the point in signin him. Torres first choice, Kuyt back up, Babel third choice, Voronin/Nemeth/Linfield/Pacheco fourth choice back up and Gerrard if absoloute neccessary. Anyone who replies with Nemeth/Linfield/Pacheco are untired, what the F**k is this lad?

Throughout the season we'll hear people bang on about us havin no money. Well 3 million for a keeper, 8 million for a left back, 17 for a central midfielder if he comes and around 3 million for a forward. 30 odd million down the swanny on players who weren't essential yet we've left the right wing go another year without findin a top class player to play there. Like I say, we have money, what we do is sign the wrong players.

I hope the lad is a world beater in the makin and I look forward to seein him at Anfield.
      100% on the mark there DLS,its a surprise to me to that we havent signed a decent winger.The spine of the team is top class,our defense is top class.If we get Kean,then our attackers are top class.We got 2 strikers playing on the wings.Dont get me wrong they are good but not Top class.Why try and pursue Barry if we dont need him.We need wingers.Many of you wont agree with me on this one but Quaresma is looking on leaving Porto.His believed to be about the 20-25 mill mark.I think he is great and defiantly a top class winger!

But leaving that subject alone,I hope Ngog does well here at liverpool.Dont expect to see him in the 1st team this year but an exciting prospect for the future. 
      h31p
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2008 08:30:21 am
      100% on the mark there DLS,its a surprise to me to that we havent signed a decent winger.The spine of the team is top class,our defense is top class.If we get Kean,then our attackers are top class.We got 2 strikers playing on the wings.Dont get me wrong they are good but not Top class.Why try and pursue Barry if we dont need him.We need wingers.Many of you wont agree with me on this one but Quaresma is looking on leaving Porto.His believed to be about the 20-25 mill mark.I think he is great and defiantly a top class winger!

But leaving that subject alone,I hope Ngog does well here at liverpool.Dont expect to see him in the 1st team this year but an exciting prospect for the future. 

I'm with you and DLS on this one. Totally agree. 100%

Ngog? Hope he does better than Le Tallec and Pongolle, both of whom were supposed to be superstars too...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2008 09:30:54 am
      I'm with you and DLS on this one. Totally agree. 100%

Ngog? Hope he does better than Le Tallec and Pongolle, both of whom were supposed to be superstars too...
      I think the words Houllier used when we bought those 2 was little gems.I do agree with the general opinion we could do with a good left winger and if possible a good right winger as well.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2008 04:46:31 pm
      Why?are we buying youngsters for the sake of it?i would have thought Nemeth or the yound Spanish lad whos name i can't spell would be given a chance?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2008 06:37:49 pm
      There must be another reason along with building for the future. It is very strange to see i think 5 or 6 youngsters come in already and only Degen, Cavalieri and Dossena come in for the first team.
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #14: Jul 25, 2008 09:15:59 pm
      I'm not the kind of fan that likes to judge players before seeing them play, if anything I hate it when players are judged before they are in action but 1 goal in 18 league appearances as he scored for Paris as a striker does look a bit dodgy (found this on http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160632080724-1149.htm) , I dont know whether he was played out of position or if his oppertunities on the pitch were only 20 or 10 minutes at the end of a game but still the ratio of goals are a bit thin. I mean hey Voronin scored more than that last season. If he can only score one in France how will he compete in a much tougher physical league? It's a bit worrying for as one of our first team players a player with such low amounts of goals has been bought. It also worries me that Rafa has time to sign players that we have hardly heard of when we're still waiting to sign Barry and Keane.

But still like I said I wont judge him until I've seen him play for a few game, I hope he does much better than he did for Paris and as some people have commented I'm hoping to see the talent in him.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Jul 26, 2008 11:54:33 am
      I'm not the kind of fan that likes to judge players before seeing them play, if anything I hate it when players are judged before they are in action but 1 goal in 18 league appearances as he scored for Paris as a striker does look a bit dodgy (found this on http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160632080724-1149.htm) , I dont know whether he was played out of position or if his oppertunities on the pitch were only 20 or 10 minutes at the end of a game but still the ratio of goals are a bit thin. I mean hey Voronin scored more than that last season. If he can only score one in France how will he compete in a much tougher physical league? It's a bit worrying for as one of our first team players a player with such low amounts of goals has been bought. It also worries me that Rafa has time to sign players that we have hardly heard of when we're still waiting to sign Barry and Keane.

But still like I said I wont judge him until I've seen him play for a few game, I hope he does much better than he did for Paris and as some people have commented I'm hoping to see the talent in him.

His tally of just one goal from 18 league appearances in 2007-08 was largely down to PSG's disappointing form - a contention backed up by his prolificacy on the international stage.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: Jul 28, 2008 03:34:26 pm
      NGOG: TORRES CAN HELP ME BE A STAR
      Jimmy Rice 28 July 2008
         David Ngog admits the prospect of teaming up with one of his footballing idols played a part in his move to Anfield.
      The 19-year-old Frenchman regarded Fernando Torres as a role model when he broke onto the scene at Paris Saint-Germain 18 months ago.

El Nino has already offered the new boy some words of wisdom at Melwood – and Ngog hopes the club's number nine can help him become a big hit in the Premier League.

"I am obviously looking forward to playing and training with a striker of his quality," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "To have someone like that who I can learn from will be great for me.

"I have already trained with Fernando and he has told me that if there is anything I need, I only have to ask. He is such a big star and it's nice that he took the time, but all the players have been similar – Gerrard and Carragher.

"Torres is one of my role models."

Another of the forward's idols is Thierry Henry, who after an initial settling in period went on to be one of the Premier League's finest ever imports.

Rafa and Ngog

Ngog admits he has thought about the impact his countryman made after arriving in England in August 1999, but accepts not everyone adapts so easily to life across the Channel.

"I know it won't be easy but I am still young," he added. "The French league is very good, they have good defenders there. But in England it is quicker, more intense; it impacts upon you more, physically.

"My qualities are that I am tall and quick, and technically good on the ball, but I still have to adapt to the physical side of the English game. Maybe I can be more aggressive.

"I have spoken to Rafa about how I can progress. He told me how I could learn from some of the other great players who are already here. I know I have to work very hard in order to get to the stage where I am playing a lot of games."

Ngog is set to travel to Spain with his new teammates on Tuesday and may be in contention for a debut against Villarreal the following day.

He added: "I am really looking forward to wearing the shirt for the first time. It will be a very proud moment for me, and I will try to do my best for this club.

"Liverpool were my English team – I supported PSG in France – and I love this club.

"I will do my best to prove myself here and to help the team win matches."
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #17: Jul 28, 2008 03:51:08 pm
      they always claim to be fans- he does sound like a decent fella- hope he does well here. Anyone know what number he will be? i know it says 24 on his jumper but has there been any confirmation?
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008 03:54:15 pm by Semple »
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #18: Jul 28, 2008 05:53:08 pm
      RAFA: NGOG CAN HAVE INSTANT IMPACT

Rafa Benitez believes new signing David Ngog can make an impact in the Premier League next season despite his tender age.
      To watch Rafa talk about Ngog click here>>

The Liverpool boss knows his 19-year-old striker is not yet the finished article – though he does expect him to fight for a first-team place in 2008-09.

"He is training with the first team," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "Maybe he would find it difficult to play 90 minutes right now, but he will be able to.

"Normally he will be available for the first team next season. He is a player who wants to improve quickly, so he will learn and then settle down.

"We have known the player for one or two years. He was in the last year of his contract and was a good price. He is a young player and has a lot of experience to gain, but he can also give a lot to us now as well as in the future."

It has become customary for imported strikers to be labelled 'the next (insert the name of talented player from same country)' – but it's a trap Benitez is keen not to fall into.

Instead the Spaniard wants supporters to decide for themselves who Ngog most resembles.

"He can play as a target man, but he is not strong because he is still very, very young," said Benitez. "He has quality, though. He can keep the ball and pass it, and he has good movement.

"I think he has game intelligence, and yes, okay, he needs to improve physically a bit, but that will come with time and he works really hard.

"It would be difficult to compare him to anyone now, I would advise the supporters to see him play and then it will be easier for them.

"There are players with his qualities in England but the supporters can decide whether he is like Emmanuel Adebayor or Nicolas Anelka or whoever. I don't like to think too much about this."

joe_lfc_4lyf
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 77 posts | -2 
      • King.
      Reply #19: Jul 28, 2008 06:30:24 pm
      Bit Of A Poor Record But Got High Hopes For The Fella
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #20: Jul 28, 2008 07:11:02 pm
      Very interested by Rafa's comments there! I have to admit when I saw his age and price-tag I thought he was going to spend a bit of time with the reserves to settle in, even if it was just for one season or so. Obviously Rafa (and his team of scouts of course! :D) have seen something special in this lad if they think he's going to be fighting to get into the starting XI at some point next season, especially considering we've just signed Keane!

Definitely one to keep an eye on then - maybe one day he's going to be on that list of Liverpool's best value buys! ;)
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #21: Jul 28, 2008 10:51:13 pm
      http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/28/Premier-League-Benitez-on-Ngog/

Rafa Benitez believes summer signing David Ngog will be ready to make an immediate impact for Liverpool.

The unheralded 19-year-old joined The Reds from Paris Saint Germain for £1.5 million last week and is viewed by many as one for the future.
      However Benitez expects Ngog to be challenging for a first-team place this season.

"He is training with the first team," Benitez told Liverpool's official website. "Maybe he would find it difficult to play 90 minutes right now, but he will be able to.

"Normally he will be available for the first team next season. He is a player who wants to improve quickly, so he will learn and then settle down.

"We have known the player for one or two years. He was in the last year of his contract and was a good price. He is a young player and has a lot of experience to gain, but he can also give a lot to us now as well as in the future."

Benitez did admit that Ngog will have to improve the physical part of his game if he is to realise his potential but the Spaniard refused to compare Ngog with other recent French imports to The Premier League.

"He can play as a target man, but he is not strong because he is still very, very young," said Benitez. "He has quality, though. He can keep the ball and pass it, and he has good movement.

"I think he has game intelligence, and yes, okay, he needs to improve physically a bit, but that will come with time and he works really hard.

"It would be difficult to compare him to anyone now, I would advise the supporters to see him play and then it will be easier for them.

"There are players with his qualities in England but the supporters can decide whether he is like Emmanuel Adebayor or Nicolas Anelka or whoever. I don't like to think too much about this."
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _______

Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #22: Aug 04, 2008 05:30:09 pm
      Who is this fella? I saw his goal, he's still young but think Nemeth and Pacheco got more natural talent.

Quick Reply