Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The Robbie (His name ISN'T Keano) Keane thread

Read 107974 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      The Robbie (His name ISN'T Keano) Keane thread
      Jul 28, 2008 06:41:52 pm
      WEll its offcial he has signed and its on the official website, I just wonder if we will get Gareth Barry now.. I for one hope we can find some way of getting him, but I still say 18 mill is way over priced , but what the F**k do I know..

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160674080728-1837.htm
      « Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 07:12:59 pm by JD »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Robbie Keane player thread
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2008 06:42:16 pm
      KEANE SIGNS 4-YEAR ANFIELD DEAL
      Jimmy Rice 28 July 2008 
        Robbie Keane has tonight put pen to paper on a 4-year deal at Liverpool Football Club. 
      Fourteen years after turning down the club he grew up supporting in favour of Wolves, the Republic of Ireland captain finally completed a dream move following a medical at Melwood.

Keane is the fifth summer addition to Rafa Benitez's first-team squad after the arrival of David Ngog, Diego Cavalieri, Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena.

The transfer is the sixth major move of a career which began with South Dublin side Crumlin United before the prodigious teenager burst onto the scene at Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1997.

A big-money move to top flight Coventry followed before Marcelo Lippi, manager of Italian giants Inter Milan, offered £13million for his services in 2000.

Keane would team up with Ronaldo and Christian Vieri in Serie A, though the move was to turn sour when Lippi was sacked.

A loan to Leeds United was arranged in December 2000, a deal made permanent six month later.

Unfortunately, Keane's arrival at Elland Road coincided with a growing financial crisis, and he was to join the exodus of stars in 2002 with a £7million transfer to Tottenham Hotspur.

Over the next few years the frontman, famed for his cartwheel goal celebration, finally settled, tallying an impressive 107 goals in 253 appearances and becoming a firm fans' favourite.

So good was his form in February 2006 that Inter president Massimo Moratti admitted his regret at letting Keane go.

Three months before departing for Merseyside he won his first senior honour as a player after helping Spurs beat Chelsea in the League Cup final.

The 28-year-old has also carved out a name for himself on the international stage having made up part of the so-called Golden Generation which emerged in the late 1990s.

The striker was part of the Irish side which triumphed in the 1998 European U18 Championships just months after making his senior bow against the Czech Republic.

His first international goal came against Malta in October 1998 and he is now the Republic's all-time record scorer ahead of Niall Quinn.

Keane famously scored a last-minute equaliser against Germany in the 2002 World Cup, one of three in the tournament.

Few were surprised when former Reds defender Steve Staunton handed him the captain's armband upon taking the Irish reins in 2006.
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2008 06:43:47 pm
      Looks like he has just signed a four year deal
      figure being released as 19 mill

Welcome to Anfield Robbie
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2008 06:44:13 pm
      Welcome Robbie Keane to the best club in the world.

Hope he scores lots and lots of goals for us and helps us win the title.
      (is that too much to ask for his first season??  :D)
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2008 06:59:47 pm by Bpatel »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #4: Jul 28, 2008 06:45:07 pm
      Welcome Robbie!
      Do us Proud
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jul 28, 2008 06:59:01 pm
      Welcome Robbie Keane! Good luck for the coming season.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Jul 28, 2008 07:00:39 pm
      G'luck Robbie. Quality signing IMO.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #7: Jul 28, 2008 07:01:04 pm
      Yes! Welcome to Anfield Robbie.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #8: Jul 28, 2008 07:01:30 pm
      Welcome Robbie. I think he's like an improvement on Kuyt. Just as hardworking, pours his heart out, but has skill and ingenuinity to go with it.

I'm quietly confident that he'll do great things here at Liverpool. Let's hope so...
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Jul 28, 2008 07:03:27 pm
      A big welcome to Robbie Keane! I have to admit I'm a bit surprised, in the end it went through quite quickly and without any fuss! :D Let's hope he can continue his excellent form wiith us, and form an excellent partnership with the other attacking players.

I gues we're going to know pretty soon if there's any money left for other players - it's not like we waited for the sale of Alonso before to tie this one up...

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #10: Jul 28, 2008 07:07:51 pm
      Great addition. Can't wait to see him playin in red.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Jul 28, 2008 07:12:19 pm
      Great addition. Can't wait to see him playin in red.

Yeah, and if there's one thing that's sure, it's that he's got the right spirit to match the shirt! Exciting times! ;D
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #12: Jul 28, 2008 07:14:45 pm
      Sky Sports are also reporting that we have made a big donation to Spurs biggest charity too which I guess was a little extra that made them agree not to complain to the FA which I think is fair and very noble :)

TEN THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT KEANE...
      Paul Hassall 28 July 2008 
        From the humble beginnings of Crumlin United through to the bright lights of the San Siro and the honour of being Ireland's record goalscorer - Robbie Keane is widely recognised as one of Europe's most talented strikers. 
      But how much do you really know about one of the most expensive signings in Anfield history?

Here are 10 things you may not know about our new striker:

1. According to his page on Bebo.com Robbie loves listening to music and picks out Blink 182, Robbie Williams, Ronan Keating and Eminem as some of his favourite artists.

2. Earlier this year Robbie married former Miss Ireland contestant Claudine Palmer in Ballybrack, with Reds fan Chris de Burgh performing at the wedding.

3. Robbie began his career at South Dublin schoolboy side Crumlin United where he first rose to prominence in the club's junior sides. It wasn't long before his talent was recognised and he moved to Wolves in 1995 at the tender age of 15. Within two years he was in the club's first team and immediately hit the headlines when he fired home a debut double in a 2-0 win over Norwich City.

4. Former Spurs manager Martin Jol is a huge fan of Keane and once wrote: "Robbie always ensured there was a good atmosphere and spirit, whether it was organising games on the team bus or sitting down next to a guy who was by himself in the training ground canteen.

"Andy Reid was similar. I remember on a pre-season trip to France, Andy and Robbie leading everyone in a round of singing until 4am. I didn't want to stop them. I thought: "This is what a football team is all about."

5. Robbie was the Premier League's top scorer in the 2007 calendar year with an impressive tally of 19, and on December 26, 2007 he became only the 13th player in Premier League history to score 100 goals. It capped a remarkable year for the striker who notched up a total of 31 goals and 13 assists from just 40 starts.

6. Keane became the Republic of Ireland's all-time leading goalscorer in October 2004 when he grabbed a double in a 2-0 win over the Faroe Islands at Landsdowne Road to surpass Niall Quinn's total of 21. He now has 33 to his name.

7. Throughout Robbie's Spurs career he made a habit of a trademark goal celebration which saw him run to one the corner flags and perform a cartwheel and forward roll, before finishing by "firing" his hands like a gun.

It was something he continued until boss Martin Jol asked him to keep his celebrations more low key as he was worried his star striker may pick up an injury.

However, Keane did perform the move one last time to celebrate his 100th goal for the club in a 2-0 win against Sunderland on January 19, 2008. He became only the 15th Spurs player in history to reach that landmark.

8. When he's not leading the line on the football pitch Keane likes to relax with a good film and picks out Braveheart, The Shawshank Redemption, Shrek, Saw 2 and Liar Liar as some of his favourites.

9. Keane is already good friends with Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard and was on hand to celebrate the launch of Carra's city centre restaurant Cafe Sport England - despite hitting a double for Spurs just hours earlier in a 2-2 draw at Anfield in October, 2007.

10. Robbie was born on July 8, 1980 and shares his birthday with Wonder Years actor Fred Savage, American artist Beck and actor Kevin Bacon. 
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #13: Jul 28, 2008 07:17:23 pm
      Good signing I think, been fantastic for Spurs, at his prime, and Liverpool supporter as a boy. Hopefully he'll show the desire and ability to be a success, I'm confident enough that he will. The price isn't too bad, they were saying 25mil in the papers but 18 seems fair, plus he'll count as a domestic player for the CL squad.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #14: Jul 28, 2008 07:20:37 pm
      Yeah, and if there's one thing that's sure, it's that he's got the right spirit to match the shirt! Exciting times! ;D

too true mate, he's a passionate fella anyway but for his boyhood club he'll be clenched fists and more determined.

Me dad's just told me about some email on one of the news stations from a spurs fan that said "good luck to Robbie at Anfield and at least he'll be able to tell his grandkids that his last trophy came at Tottenham" :lmao:
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #15: Jul 28, 2008 07:26:30 pm
      More on the charity donation

Quote from: Sky Sports
      Complaint withdrawn
      Now the move has gone through Tottenham have announced they will not pursue their official complaint to the Premier League, but Levy did reveal Keane had handed in a transfer request in a bid to secure a move to Anfield.

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect," Levy told the club's official website.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction. I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."

Tottenham also revealed the official complaint was withdrawn after an apology and a donation to the club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation were made by Liverpool.

A club statement read: "Liverpool FC has also acknowledged that the way its website reported comments of its manager, which were widely covered by the media, was inappropriate and in light of that acknowledgement has apologised and agreed to make a donation to our club's main charity, the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation.

"Tottenham Hotspur has therefore agreed not to pursue its official complaint to the Premier League."

Thanks
      Keane also issued a statement, to express his thanks to Tottenham for his time at White Hart Lane.

"I would like to place on record my thanks to the board, players and fans of Tottenham for the past six years, which were the best and most enjoyable of my career to date," read the statement.

"I will never forget them. I would specifically like to thank chairman Daniel Levy for understanding, that, as a fan, joining Liverpool is a lifelong dream of mine and one I couldn't let pass me by.

"I hope one day the Spurs fans, who have been brilliant to me, can understand this too.

"I have only good things to say about my time at Tottenham and expect them to go from strength to strength under Juande Ramos and Daniel Levy."

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16: Jul 28, 2008 07:36:48 pm
      1st page ;D

welcome to Anfield, Robbie Keane!

he has always been a favourite of mine, I'm really glad to see him in a red shirt. Hopefully he will work very well with Fernando, scoring his wonder goals and making all the assists he usually does.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,225 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Jul 28, 2008 07:45:22 pm
      Welcome to Anfield Robbie. First Dubliner to play for the reds since Ronnie Whelan (Does Ritchie Partridge count?).
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #18: Jul 28, 2008 07:54:51 pm

Welcome to Liverpool Robbie

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=8fob012r4AM

A great sign for Liverpool, I like much this Player
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #19: Jul 28, 2008 08:09:11 pm
      Welcome to Anfield Robbie. First Dubliner to play for the reds since Ronnie Whelan (Does Ritchie Partridge count?).

oooh nice :D I love Ronnie Whelan!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #20: Jul 28, 2008 08:28:19 pm
      Hope he's playing against Lazio next week  ;)

Welcome Robbie, and like someone has already said it will be funny singing "Keano, Keano" !!  :lmao:  Who'd of thought it eh ??  ;) :D
      stevelfc1
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 28, 2008 08:33:30 pm
      SPARKYMARKY
      • Forum David Johnson

• 214 posts |
      • ian rush sent kendall to the bottle
      Reply #22: Jul 28, 2008 08:58:54 pm
      Welcome Robbie , help us get the title .. good luck .

Quick Reply