Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Sunderland V Liverpool (Premiership is back)

Read 27494 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Sunderland V Liverpool (Premiership is back)
      Aug 15, 2008 12:07:43 am
      Well now that the season is under way and the Champions League is at the back of our minds again we can look forward to our Premiership opener against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light this Saturday.

Hopefully we'll put in a better performance but I'd take a scrappy 1-0 win all day just to get three points on the table. I think it's imperitive we start with a win and get a good solid start in. Gerrard will start in my opinion whether he's 100% or not. I'd be surprised if there's too many changes from Wednesday's game though.

My side:
      25) Reina
      23) Carra
      5) Agger
      37) Skrtel (if fit)
      17) Arbeloa
      8) Gerrard
      14) Alonso
      26) Spearing
      15) Benayoun (because we have no one else)
      7) Keane
      9) Torres

Sunderland have strenghtened this summer with a few proven Premiership players (Malbranque, Diouf, Tanio, Cimbonda) Carlos Edwards is back to full fitness who missed most of last year but their top scorer from last year Kenwyne Jones is still out. Chopra is suspended (i think) because of a red card in a pre-season so their forward line may be led by Dwight Yorke or Diouf.

I've predicted a 3-1 win.
      RedArmy96
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts | -1 
      • What we achieve in life, Echoes in eternity
      Re: Sunderland V Liverpool (Premiership is back)
      Reply #1: Aug 15, 2008 12:21:57 am
      I dont care who scores as long as we win!

I can see us starting with:

--------------Reina----------
      Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Dossena
      Kuyt-Gerrard-Alonso-Benayoun
      -----------Torres-Keane-------

Ill say a 2-0 win with Benayoun and Torres scoring

P.S Thank god footballs back :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Aug 15, 2008 01:37:50 am
      im going for the same line up as against liege except gerrard instead of plessis

3-0, torres 2, keane ;)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #3: Aug 15, 2008 02:01:08 am
      I can see us starting with:

--------------Reina----------
      Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Dossena
      Kuyt-Gerrard-Alonso-Benayoun
      -----------Torres-Keane-------

That would be my line-up, think with those players we should be able to beat the likes of Sunderland (who have did them-selves good over the summer with some nice additions)

I would be interested to see who makes the bench for this one. I would have to guess;

Diego, Sami, Skrtel, Aurelio, Plessis, Pennant, N'gog
      thedeftone
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #4: Aug 15, 2008 02:09:41 am
      15) Benayoun (because we have no one else)

Dont be dissing our man Yossi! I think he is a great player, that should be used as often as possible. He always works hard and always has the chance of scoring goals, great asset to the team imo
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Aug 15, 2008 06:10:18 am
      Its about players who have proven themselves so far, not their talent for mine. I hope for some players to be axed for this week because simply, they dont deserve to play after that. My side:

Reina

Darby         Carragher           Skrtel           Dossena

Pennant      Gerrarard          Alonso            El Zhar

Torres            Ngog

But i think Rafa may go for:

Reina

Arbeloa       Carragher          Agger          Dossena

Kuyt            Gerrard            Plessis          Benayoun

Torres             Keane

Personally, Ngog and Darby warrant a starting birth this weekend. They have been brilliant in pre season and Ngog is the only striker who has troubled the defence constantly. Darby, he played a brilliant game at RB, he defended very well and got up field in attack.

I know Keane will play to build the Nando/Gerrard/Keane partnership though.

El Zhar may surprise some but he is a flair player, he can actually cross and is a winger. Great shot on him (V Cardiff anyone?) and good passing game. Pace on him too so i think he could do very well.

I think it will either be 1-1 or 4-1 to us, big gap i know but we either continue our rut or come out with a show, hopefully its the latter.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Aug 15, 2008 07:09:39 am
      Its about players who have proven themselves so far, not their talent for mine. I hope for some players to be axed for this week because simply, they dont deserve to play after that. My side:

Reina

Darby         Carragher           Skrtel           Dossena

Pennant      Gerrarard         Alonso            El Zhar

Torres            Ngog

But i think Rafa may go for:

Reina

Arbeloa       Carragher          Agger          Dossena

Kuyt            Gerrard            Plessis          Benayoun

Torres             Keane

Personally, Ngog and Darby warrant a starting birth this weekend. They have been brilliant in pre season and Ngog is the only striker who has troubled the defence constantly. Darby, he played a brilliant game at RB, he defended very well and got up field in attack.

I know Keane will play to build the Nando/Gerrard/Keane partnership though.

El Zhar may surprise some but he is a flair player, he can actually cross and is a winger. Great shot on him (V Cardiff anyone?) and good passing game. Pace on him too so i think he could do very well.

I think it will either be 1-1 or 4-1 to us, big gap i know but we either continue our rut or come out with a show, hopefully its the latter.

Who's this newbie? Hope he's good enough to control our central midfield!  :P

I agree with you about Ngog, I think he's done enough to deserve a start this weekend, though I doubt Rafa will start him. It's funny, Rafa starts playing the same XI and we're asking for rotation! :D I think we've been brainwashed! :D Seriously though, I do think 1 or 2 changes would be for the best, to remind the players that they can't put in such a dismal performance and then expect to get picked the following match.

Maybe Spearing in midfield instead of Plessis as has been suggested and Ngog for Keane. Like that we'd still have some quality on the bench should we need to shake things up in the second half, and Keane would probably (hopefully) be raring to go by then!
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #7: Aug 15, 2008 07:13:58 am
      Gonna be hard fought game 0-1 to the 'pool. Keane with the goal.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Aug 15, 2008 07:25:39 am
      Torres touch should get sharper with each game now all we need is for Keene & Torres to click as up until now we have seen Keene trying to hard he needs a goal made by Torres or the other way around then maybe the confidence between the two will come. Sunderland are a physical team and they like us are bedding new players in and this time out we will be ready.

Steavie G will be back in for Plesis but other than that Rafa could take out Dosena with maybe Jamie moving over with Skyrtel coming back other than that we need our players back from them games....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Aug 15, 2008 09:09:24 am
      Who's this newbie? Hope he's good enough to control our central midfield!  :P

I agree with you about Ngog, I think he's done enough to deserve a start this weekend, though I doubt Rafa will start him. It's funny, Rafa starts playing the same XI and we're asking for rotation! :D I think we've been brainwashed! :D Seriously though, I do think 1 or 2 changes would be for the best, to remind the players that they can't put in such a dismal performance and then expect to get picked the following match.

Maybe Spearing in midfield instead of Plessis as has been suggested and Ngog for Keane. Like that we'd still have some quality on the bench should we need to shake things up in the second half, and Keane would probably (hopefully) be raring to go by then!

:D :D The wireless keyboard on the computer f*cks up after you use it abit, either doesnt show they letters you press, which does my head in, or shows to much. Thats technology for ya.

Agree on Spearing though, if not Alonso, i hope for Spearing to play along side GERRARD. I dont think Masch or Babel, who ever comes back first, should play right away, give them a little break and play them after.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Aug 15, 2008 09:13:25 am
      Its good to have the season kick offback again,its been a long time since we beat Spurs 2-0at Spurs on the 11th of May.All we need now is for the MIGHTY REDS to go out and get a good result against Sunderland to start the season and bring the league trophy home to Anfield where it rightfully belongs.I see Aurelio has pronounced himself fit for the match so it will be interesting to see what RAFAS selection will be.Picking 3-1 to us with Keane, Torres and Kuyt to do the business for us.
      LauraMc
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 15, 2008 10:51:46 am
      To be honest I dont really mind who's starting tomorrow as long as we've got Gerreard in midfield because I think the absence of him last Wednesday night played a part in why neither Torres or Keane were fed the ball very much. I really hope we win though...I havn't been looking forward to the season starting this year like any other year and I think if our first game gives us three points on the table our team would have more confidence.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Aug 15, 2008 10:58:16 am
      This team that we played standard but gerrard not plessis. it think that torres and a midfielder will score but we will be one down diouf scoring.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #13: Aug 15, 2008 11:12:21 am
      I can't see diouf scoring, he'll spit at another fan before he scores a goal against liverpool ;D. 2-0 to Liverpool, torres and benayoun.

my team for the sunderland game..

reina

arbeloa       carragher     agger*     dossena

kuyt          gerrard       alonso     benayoun

keane          torres

* - skrtel if fit
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 11:15:44 am by mcarz »
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #14: Aug 15, 2008 12:04:45 pm
      I really hope we put in a good showing and get the new season off to a good start.
      I went for a 3-1 win, don't know who will score as long as we do!

I think we'll see more of this formation;

Reina

Skertl/Carragher - Carragher/Hyppia    -    Agger

Arbeloa                                     Alonso                                    Dossena

Kuyt                     Gerrard                    Keane

Torres

YNWA
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008 12:32:26 pm by Jrwanderer »
      Evilone
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | -1 
      Reply #15: Aug 15, 2008 12:29:43 pm
      Oh my good is will soon start! i must buy Canal+ so i can se all the Liverpool games :D

i think Liverpool will do gigigiggiig whit Sunderland so it will be a gigigig result 4-0
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2008 01:06:32 pm
      If anyone fancies playing fantasy Rafa they are in for a very frustrating season. >:D

I think he'll go with the same team that played against Liege with Gerrard in for Plessis but his does not give us any width as Kuyt and Benayoun tend to tuck in and don't run to the byeline.  The alternatives we have at the moment are for Pennant an El Zhar.  i think I'd go with Pennant on the right and Benayoun on the left.

But what do I know?

3 - 1 to the REDS anyway which shows what an optimistic bleeder I am given the woeful performance on Wednesday. :o
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #17: Aug 15, 2008 01:32:30 pm
      We seriously have to improve of the left flank but options are limited (Yossi must think it's xmas he's been playing so much)
      I think we should start with Dosenna and put his performance @ Liege down to experience then Carra and Agger in the middle and Arbeloa on the right.  Midfield I would start Yossi Gerrard Plessis and El Zhar with Keane playing off Torres.

We should be ok with this team and maybe put Pennant on @ half time to give us the extra width.

2-0 to us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Aug 15, 2008 02:03:10 pm
      Personally im not impressed by some people (this isnt a slag at them at all) choosing some guys who dont warrant a game at all.

We cant just play the same side and say 'oh bad luck about the other night', we have to show bad performances wont be tolerated.

Axe Yossi, Dirk, Damien and Arby. I'm saynot saying definately axe Robbie and Andreas because they are still settling in but those others dont deserve to even be in the side after that.

Playing these guys over and over doesnt really show the massive squad Rafa boasts about. Using guys again after they have a shocker really kicks our youth and guys who are playing very well but dont have the reputation, guys who are busting their asses off and actually playing good footy deserve to be in the side.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #19: Aug 15, 2008 02:27:40 pm
      From lfc.tv

Steven Gerrard has been passed fit for Liverpool's Barclays Premier League opener at Sunderland this weekend. 
      The Reds skipper was used as a second half substitute against Standard Liege in midweek and came through without any reaction to the thigh injury which forced him to miss the end of the pre-season programme.

While Gerrard has been passed fit, manager Rafael Benitez will make late checks on a number of his other players before finalising his first team selection of the campaign for the clash in the north east.

Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun both sustained dead legs during the goalless stalement in Belgium while Martin Skrtel is continuing to recover from a groin problem. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #20: Aug 15, 2008 02:39:58 pm
      Personally im not impressed by some people (this isnt a slag at them at all) choosing some guys who dont warrant a game at all.

We cant just play the same side and say 'oh bad luck about the other night', we have to show bad performances wont be tolerated.

Axe Yossi, Dirk, Damien and Arby. I'm saynot saying definately axe Robbie and Andreas because they are still settling in but those others dont deserve to even be in the side after that.

Playing these guys over and over doesnt really show the massive squad Rafa boasts about. Using guys again after they have a shocker really kicks our youth and guys who are playing very well but dont have the reputation, guys who are busting their asses off and actually playing good footy deserve to be in the side.

I agree with you mate that bad perfomances won't be tollerated. I think it's easy to say drop Plessis because Gerrard is the obvious replacement and would be playin whether Plessis was man of the match or not. Kuyt can be replaced by Pennant with little problems but then you're lookin at El Zhar for Benayoun. From what I know and seen El Zhar is a very talented RIGHT winger. For a Premiership debut you don't really wanna be played out of position. I think our lack of real options down the left now Babel is in Beijing is troublesome. Benayoun is a much safer option, albeit not one I like, than a youngster like El Zhar. As for Arbleloa I thought he was our best defender on Wednesday. I'd have no problem if we decided to shift him to the left back and put Darby in as right back, but I wouldn't drop Arbeloa.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #21: Aug 15, 2008 02:42:30 pm
      El Zhar can play down the left and right. He's like Ryan in a sense on the left who likes to cut in but he can go on his left and cross though and actually passes when he comes in.
      redref
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 15, 2008 02:48:14 pm
      You really thought that Arbeloa was the best defender on Wednesday? Blimey I must have been watching a different game. I was screaming at him to keep it simple all game but the number of times he hoofed the ball up the wing for Kuyt when he wasnt in any space was unbelieveable.

I know its unlikely at this stage but I still want pool to show a bit more patience in games like this. Arsenal are a prime example of keeping possession of the ball when there isnt space to move into and its something that we need to do more often. Especially when our forwards arent getting time on the ball and the ball keeps coming back with interest.

Quick Reply