Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Liverpool v PSV - Pre Match

Read 13470 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Liverpool v PSV - Pre Match
      Sep 28, 2008 12:09:37 am
      Well with the win over Everton fresh in our memory, it's time to move on and next on our list is our first home match in the Champions League group stage against PSV. Now our form in this year's European Cup hasn't had us overly chuffed in terms of performances but we're still picking up results.

I wouldn't risk anyone who isn't 100% because I don't see PSV coming to attack to be honest. No need for players to pick silly niggles in a match that shouldn't cause us too many problems. I'm thinking mainly of Mascherano here. Masch's been struggling the last few weeks, no need for him to be rushed back for this when he won't be overly worked.

With Gerrard and Torres showing some sort of form recently and Robbie Keane improving with each game, I think going forward we have no problems. Our defence has always been sound. Out wide isn't looking like such a problem with Reira out there as it was with Benayoun. Hopefully we'll see the wide areas improve again before the next international break.

European nights are always good at Anfield, this won't be any different. We can give a message to the rest of the teams in it by giving PSV a real stuffing.

Come on Reds!!!!!
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2008 07:00:57 pm by JD »
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Re: Liverpool v PSV
      Reply #1: Sep 28, 2008 12:15:10 am
      We could get off to a right good start with a win here, I can't see us scoring many though ;) get Babel up with Torres for this one I say and have Pennant and Reira on the wings.  If we see no results then Keane as a super sub :)

I'd be happy with 2-0.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Sep 28, 2008 12:54:31 am
      We could get off to a right good start with a win here, I can't see us scoring many though ;) get Babel up with Torres for this one I say and have Pennant and Reira on the wings.  If we see no results then Keane as a super sub :)

I'd be happy with 2-0.

Reina
               Skrtel         Agger
      Arbeloa                       Aurelio
                     Xabi Alonso

Pennant       Gerrard       Riera
                    Babel   Torres

Subs: Cavalieri, Dossena, Hyypia, Carragher, Mascherano, Kuyt, Keane.

^^ I agree with AJ, although I think Carragher needs to rest as he's not getting any younger. This will be a fun game. 4-0, anyone? ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Sep 28, 2008 01:23:37 am
      I think same line up as today except Masch in for Alonso, Agger for Skrtel and Babel for Keane
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #4: Sep 28, 2008 01:26:39 am
      On the same lines Kenny , but why Agger for Skrtel ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Sep 28, 2008 01:39:55 am
      ^^^^^^^

I just think that because of how well Agger played the other night and the fact he is desperate to play will convince Rafa to play him against PSV and we all know it won't be Carra that gets dropped so it will more than likely be Skrtel . Although it could be Arbeloa but I doubt it because that would mean Carra at right back.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #6: Sep 28, 2008 01:46:19 am
      Good point Kenny , at the end of the day its up to Rafa.  IRWT.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #7: Sep 28, 2008 05:06:20 am
      -----------------------------Pepe------------------------------

Arboloa--------Skrtel-------------Agger-----------Aurelio

Pennant------Gerrard-----------Lucas-----------Babel

------------------Torres------------Keane-----------------

I would really let Alonso (who most likely got a knock from Cahill) and Javi rest up with a huge game away to City on the weekend and I would really consider utilizing our depth in the CB position to give Carra a full week rest for the City game. I think a line-up like this should see us get the result we want, especially at home.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Sep 28, 2008 08:25:54 am
      Lets continue with the good start we had at Marseille and go for a good win over P.S.V.If we can take 3 points from each of our first 4 games in Europe it will take any pressure off and we can concentrate on the league.I feel we will be to good for P.S.V. and look forward to Keane breaking his duck and Stevie getting his 100 goal and Torres to finish them off.Some team has got to get a hiding at Anfield and it might as well be P.S.V. so here goes 4nil to the mighty REDS.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Sep 28, 2008 12:04:20 pm
      PSV dont seem to be a huge attacking threat.

-------------------Reina--------------------

Arbeloa---Carragher--Agger--Aurelio

Babel------Gerrard-----Alonso------Riera

---------------Torres---Keane----------------

Although I want Pennant to play babel needs to start more, we dont give him nearly enough time on the pitch in my opinion. Dont need Masch for this, Alonso was fantastic yesterday dont think he should be dropped. Aurelio and Agger should both play in my opinion, looked good when they have played and the best going forward in their respective positions. Torres and Keane both play again, they looked good together yesterday so why break it up now would just be taking a step back in my opinion.

Pennant, Skrtel, Dossena, N'Gog etc on the bench.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,636 posts | 130 
      Reply #10: Sep 28, 2008 12:33:30 pm
      I hope the relationship between keano and torres works aginst PSV as well. And torres is hungry for more goals!
      In the centre we should start with gerrard and alonso ( lil cisse says that before;-) )
      Hope we go on to a good 3:0 victory;).
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Sep 28, 2008 12:38:27 pm
      Kuyt will play IMO as he has experience of PSV from dutch leagues and TBH he has been getting better every game. I think lil ciise has it spot on, but kuyt will be on the RW and Pennant will come on at 72minutes
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #12: Sep 28, 2008 12:49:39 pm
      Kuyt will play IMO as he has experience of PSV from dutch leagues and TBH he has been getting better every game. I think lil ciise has it spot on, but kuyt will be on the RW and Pennant will come on at 72minutes

Yeah i agree, Kuyt is more likely to start. Im happy with him starting but i would be happier with Babel starting i think, he looks good this season and has played a big part in three of our wins already. He looks more confident and assured this season. Im hoping he will get to start but i also want to see Riera start again and Keane and Torres continue their partnership upfront in this game.

I dont want to underestimate PSV but we have experience playing them and i think we have what we need to beat them.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: Sep 28, 2008 01:37:21 pm
      I'm feeling very, very confident after the Everton game!!

I reckon this time Keane will definitely get on the scoresheet, he played well against Everton, and I'm confident he'll score!! I can also see Kuyt get on the scoresheet, if he plays!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Sep 28, 2008 03:29:54 pm
      PSV are packing it. Saw an interview with one of them today saying Liverpool are a massive club etc etc and that they would be thrilled to get something out of it. Says alot really.

Reina

Arbeloa       Skrtel         Agger       Dossena

Babel        Gerrard        Lucas          Riera

Torres        Keane

Cavalieri   Carragher   Alonso   Benayoun    Kuyt    Aurellio   N'Gog

I put Lucas in because i'm not sure how Xabi pulled up. If he's ok then play him in for Lucas. I cant see Kuyt not starting but thats the side i'd go for.

If Kuyt is going to play because of his experience in Holland, surely Babel must too?

3-0
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #15: Sep 28, 2008 05:57:42 pm
      Who,s going to the match, and is anyone meeting up.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #16: Sep 28, 2008 06:03:22 pm
      I don't see why people would mess around with the centre halves. We are a long way from guarenteed a place in the knock out stages, we've got to take this game seriously just in case PSV do get the odd attack and every side gets at least one chance per game.

I'm one of Agger's biggest fans and really want too see him in the side but not on Wednesday night. Once we've qualified from this group then you can start switiching and changing but lets get there first. If we were to lose and it's a fault of Agger can you imagination the press reports the following night. Laying all blame on Benitez for rotation again. We don't need that. Dan Agger will just have to wait for an injury or suspension and then take his chance with both hands as well as continue to impress in the Carling Cup.

For me it's got to be our best eleven for Wednesday and take another three points.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Sep 28, 2008 06:15:44 pm
      Who,s going to the match, and is anyone meeting up.

Will be in the Cabbage beforehand mate.

I never take any European game for granted - in fact I wouldn't be surprised if this one is more tricky. I can see them sitting back and letting us ask all the questions. Something we've found pretty hard lately apart from playing the mancs and the bitters.

It's a great sign to have Torres with his scoring boots on again though. His confidence in his ability will have swollen after the derby, so sitting back against us might not mean they'll keep a clean sheet.

Get stuck into them from the off and try get an early goal. If we can do that, I think we'll have the game won well before the final whistle.

Plus I'm willing to beilieve that Bpatel is right about Keane. This will be the game!!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Sep 28, 2008 07:54:49 pm
      Plus I'm willing to beilieve that Bpatel is right about Keane. This will be the game!!

One of them will :)
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #19: Sep 28, 2008 07:57:25 pm
      The Cabbage, where is that, and what time
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Sep 28, 2008 08:03:18 pm
      I can help with the where is it bit

where the letter A is

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #21: Sep 28, 2008 08:03:56 pm
      The Cabbage, where is that, and what time

Half way up Breck Road Graham, more or less opposite the LFC Supporters Club and right next to Georgesons Garage  ;)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #22: Sep 28, 2008 08:12:57 pm
      i think we have to continue with the torres keane partnership.  the goals will eventually come for robbie, and it's important that they are both given the time to work on their partnership.  i would like to give babel a shot on the right wing, as dirk is sure to start against man shity so be best to give him a rest for this one.  probably have masch in for xabi if he does have a knock after saturday.

Quick Reply