Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

The huge Anfield problem

Read 311004 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,722 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #1978: Aug 19, 2014 07:18:26 am
      Yep, sick of hearing oppo supporters singing Anfield's a library!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #1979: Aug 20, 2014 07:25:06 pm
      I'm slightly annoyed with the lack of vocal support on the Kop during yesterday's opening game against Southampton.

It was the opening game of a new season, at Anfield, as runners up. The atmosphere should have been electric throughout the game. However, I counted only 4 times when the Kop were in full voice. Two of these occasions were after we'd scored and one was at the start of the game.

Perhaps the lack of vocal support was due to nervousness. What has annoyed me though is that I, like many others, have found it impossible to purchase tickets for any game. If I'd have been able to buy a ticket, my vocal backing would have been constant, as it ha been every time I've been to Anfield. It almost feels like there were a lot of wasted tickets yesterday.

Obviously my thoughts have been put forward in a respectful manner.

Pete F

YNWA

Tbh was the same against Stoke last season.
      djp
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #1980: Aug 21, 2014 12:15:52 am
      Tbh was the same against Stoke last season.

Which is ridiculous considering the team's success last year compared to the year before that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8543 
      Reply #1981: Aug 21, 2014 11:23:25 pm
      Which is ridiculous considering the team's success last year compared to the year before that.

Early season is always like that though, the atmosphere builds as the season goes on, plus no point blowing ourselves out, we have to pace ourselves, we have Champions League nights as well. If it's anything like last season, we're gonna be fu**ed by May!!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,481 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1982: Sep 17, 2014 02:56:29 pm
      Funny what a midweek CL game does for the noise. At times you could hear Ludo over us, but was suitably impressed with the noise we made considering what it's been like recently.

Villa made a lot more noise last Saturday than us.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1983: Sep 17, 2014 05:30:03 pm
      Too many glory hunting bast*rds going to games now. Only follow us for the success. After all we have won 11 trophies in 25 years including 1 whole league title
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1984: Sep 17, 2014 06:22:48 pm
      Too many glory hunting bast*rds going to games now. Only follow us for the success. After all we have won 11 trophies in 25 years including 1 whole league title

Perhaps you'd prefer to follow 97% of clubs who've never won anything like that many. Or the many clubs who've won nothing and don't expect to win anything. You're not exactly a hero to follow one of the clubs who've won the most trophies over the years
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1985: Sep 17, 2014 06:26:18 pm
      It's a regular occurence that the 20,000+ season ticket holders make less noise than our travelling reds, which is disappointing.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      Reply #1986: Sep 17, 2014 06:33:50 pm
      Perhaps you'd prefer to follow 97% of clubs who've never won anything like that many. Or the many clubs who've won nothing and don't expect to win anything. You're not exactly a hero to follow one of the clubs who've won the most trophies over the years

Yes Im a hero for following a football team because that's what heros do after all. Are you one of the oul grumpy bas**rds from the main stand by the way who snarl if anyone dares sing a song, you did say your a main stander didn't you? You give off that impression
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      Reply #1987: Sep 17, 2014 06:35:42 pm

And you missed the main point being your suggesting non scousers are glory hunters for following Liverpool. If they were glory hunters theyd have fooked off long before now Jim long before. Ever cross your mind that people outside the L postcodes might just love the club?
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1988: Sep 17, 2014 06:36:32 pm
      It's a regular occurence that the 20,000+ season ticket holders make less noise than our travelling reds, which is disappointing.

Ridiculous thing to say. The ST holders are spread all over the ground and the away fans are concentrated in one area. Many of the ST holders aren't kids and most are in areas that have never sung anyway. Some aways are quiet these days as well. You're not comparing like with like.

If you're talking about the Kop most of them are getting on and in days past would have moved to other areas. That's not going to happen now especially as it's cheaper for seat. There are some gripes in there though.
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1989: Sep 17, 2014 06:45:04 pm
      And you missed the main point being your suggesting non scousers are glory hunters for following Liverpool. If they were glory hunters theyd have fooked off long before now Jim long before. Ever cross your mind that people outside the L postcodes might just love the club?

We've won more trophies than anyone overall. And even in the recent past we've still won more trophies than a couple of clubs. They follow the club for the reflected glory and for the kudos and showing off at the office.

If you're trying to make out you're just an average fan you're talking crap. It's funny that all these latch on types don't follow Gillingham or Carlisle United. I might listen to what you say about glory hunters then.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1990: Sep 17, 2014 07:01:39 pm
      I was right at the back of the Kop in 306 last night.....we never stopped singing all game....trouble is, we are in the minority and I could tell quite a few didn't know all the words to a lot of the songs....ye get ye education from the Kop !!

Listen, learn, sing !!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #1991: Sep 17, 2014 07:15:05 pm
      We've won more trophies than anyone overall. And even in the recent past we've still won more trophies than a couple of clubs. They follow the club for the reflected glory and for the kudos and showing off at the office.

If you're trying to make out you're just an average fan you're talking crap. It's funny that all these latch on types don't follow Gillingham or Carlisle United. I might listen to what you say about glory hunters then.

In the recent past, we have won the Carling Cup in 2012, you have to go back another 6 years for another trophy.

Not the CV for a glory hunter if you ask me.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #1992: Sep 17, 2014 07:17:49 pm
      I'm Croatian and I started to support Liverpool in 1996 at age of 13. Reason? The fans. When I first heard Anfield YNWA I was amazed  I could identify whit that and i felt that the love of the LFC fans is the same as the love we have for our club (Dinamo Zagreb). As I like football and do not watch only Dinamo Zagreb I started to follow LFC as well and every year i liked it more.

So I would not call myself glory hunter. It was never my intention to support any other club then my native, it was not in my plan it just happened.

Buty I can understand what you mean by glory hunters. A lot of people that i encounter started recently to be fans of Barca. But that are people that do not know much about football and do not even care that much. For them it is like a fashion. But there are a lot of people out there that are not like that and it is unfair to put them in a same basket.
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1993: Sep 17, 2014 07:19:23 pm
      In the recent past, we have won the Carling Cup in 2012, you have to go back another 6 years for another trophy.

The sacrifices these people make are amazing.Are you really trying to make out that they don't follow us cos of fame and history?If you are I don't believe you.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,481 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1994: Sep 17, 2014 07:28:20 pm

Agreed. As I've stated in the past, it seems like we go one verse through and it just stops completely. Not sure if it's because the Kop starts it off and then others sing but as soon as everyone has finished one round the whole song stops. As ridiculous as it sounds we are just short of having someone at the front with a megaphone starting off chants, but I'm sure that would aggravate too many of our current match goers. Also it shouldn't resort to something as silly as that anyway.

I was sitting over in PK6 in the main stand for the Villa game right beside the tunnel that seperates the main stand from the away fans in the Anfield Road end. Have to say they sang all game, and didn't give up... just like we do when we are playing away.
      Somehow I feel some of our away match goers do not attend a lot of the home ones, that's just an assumption and opinion, for the pure reason there is so much noise from us at away games.

I do feel like others need to get involved though. As stated where me and the aul fella were sitting, absolutely nobody wanted to sing around us. Are people embarrassed to sing? Do they not know the words? Maybe we just need to start getting songs going from different areas of the ground rather than relying on the Kop as much.
      Problem again is, you are sitting next to someone maybe that will give you funny looks for singing in the first place, or on some occasions someone who tells you to stop singing.

Funnily enough, I check every time I get the chance to get to a game, how many people use their mobiles during the game and it amazes me. I would take maybe a picture or two before the game depending where I'm sitting but I'd give the game my full attention while it's on, but I find it funny how many camera flashes you see during the game.

Where I was sitting for the Villa game, I just did not feel comfortable singing in that area when nobody else was going to join, mainly for the fear of just being told to stop. If I was in the Kop I'd have no issue trying to start off a chant because you won't get as many funny looks about it.
      When YNWA was being sung, I could hear maybe one or two voices around me singing plus myself. Obviously it's slow enough in terms of atmosphere at the start of the season but the Villa fans were right about it sounding like a library for the most recent game. We had a few moments where we'd start a song or two and then give up for like twenty minutes.

Just wish we could have the atmosphere of the CL semi against Chelsea all those years ago at every game. Performances do have a lot to with it and at the Villa game there was just tension right from the get go which I think contributed to the atmosphere being so bad.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1995: Sep 17, 2014 07:32:37 pm
      The sacrifices these people make are amazing.Are you really trying to make out that they don't follow us cos of fame and history?If you are I don't believe you.

Sacrifices? Lost me there.

Are you trying to to words in my mouth?

You said "And even in the recent past we've still won more trophies than a couple of clubs. They follow the club for the reflected glory and for the kudos and showing off at the office.

We have won one trophy in 9 years. That would not attract a glory hunter, City would as they are Johnny come lately in the trophy winning department.

CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Reply #1996: Sep 17, 2014 07:37:39 pm

The glory hunters are all following ManU, Chelsea, and City these days.  When I ask other American fans who they support, the ones who support those clubs never have a really good reason for their support and it usually boils down to a recently won title.  My original reason for supporting LFC was rather shallow as well, the fact that they share the name Reds with my favorite baseball team over here, but I would say that rules me out as a glory hunter.  I view my sports team allegiances like I view my marriage, 'til death do us part.  There are a lot of us like that over here.  No, I'm not scouse and I've never even been to Liverpool, but that doesn't make me a glory hunter and it doesn't take away from my passion.  Sure, I can't relate the way a local does, where the club represents where you're from as well, but I still love and support the club the best way I know how.  Maybe some of the people sitting on their hands in the stands have gotten to the point where take for granted being able to attend games.  When I finally get to a game, I'm not going to sit on my hands and act bored. 
      Jim B
      • Banned

• 60 posts |
      Reply #1997: Sep 17, 2014 07:41:29 pm
      Sacrifices? Lost me there.

Are you trying to to words in my mouth?

You said "And even in the recent past we've still won more trophies than a couple of clubs. They follow the club for the reflected glory and for the kudos and showing off at the office.

We have won one trophy in 9 years. That would not attract a glory hunter, City would as they are Johnny come lately in the trophy winning department.
      I said sacrifices because of the way you're trying to make out that these people are altruistic   You know full well that they geg on to the club because of the way it helps them see themselves as big time top fans.All the songs history and general fame attracts them as much as the trophies.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #1998: Sep 17, 2014 07:45:19 pm
      If you want a good sing song go to any of the ale houses round Anfield on match day because that is where the genuine fans are. Some of them go the game, a fair few don't but still make a racket in the pub while the game is on.

Chances are, you're not gonna get some stuck up c**t taking his business partner for a pint in the Park or the Albert etc. They're gonna be in the Boot Room (an overpriced, not all that nice restaurant by the way) or the Isla Gladstone.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #1999: Sep 17, 2014 07:45:57 pm
      I said sacrifices because of the way you're trying to make out that these people are altruistic   You know full well that they geg on to the club because of the way it helps them see themselves as big time top fans.All the songs history and general fame attracts them as much as the trophies.

What are you on about?

Where do you get that idea from this quote?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2778 
      Reply #2000: Sep 17, 2014 07:53:13 pm

Gloryhunters aplenty follow the club your deluded though if you think these are the ones arsed to go to games. Why the fook would they fork out all that money when nearly every Liverpool game is on the box? Don't be soft.

If you are a local you should find the affection "your" club has from people around the world. The attention it gives "your" city to.

Quick Reply