Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him

Read 17799 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Nov 04, 2008 10:03:46 pm
      I just saw a comment on the BBC website saying someone had "lost a lot of respect" he had for Gerrard because of the penalty incident against Athletico Madrid.

I was wondering do you guys feel the same?

Is it alright to "play" for the penalty when you are desperate?

Can Gerrard ever comment on other "divers" again or will he be deemed to be a hypocrite?

I personally believe that he did dive and played for the penalty. It was a desperate time so I see why he did it. I hope he is honest and says the complete truth but I am not sure if he will.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Reply #1: Nov 04, 2008 10:06:25 pm
      He didn't dive. Far from it. He was barged over. I think the argument was, if it was shoulder to shoulder. As both Rafa and Stevie said, if that'd happen outside the 18 yard box we would've had a free kick (with probably no protests from the Atletico players).
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 10:12:48 pm by paulrobbo, Reason: added a bit »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2008 10:08:40 pm
      Firstly, when i first saw it i wa slike "Yes, but it shouldn't have been a penalty". Until Gerrard said what he said (about getting pushed in the back after heading if first) made me think that it was a definate penalty. I then saw the replay and still felt the same way.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2008 10:13:04 pm
      I think he did make the most of it, but there was contact, no where near the ball, in theory it is a penalty, but I think it was VERY soft.

No loss of respect, though. Class act 99% of the time.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #4: Nov 04, 2008 10:24:14 pm
      They can suck my balls as far as im concerned, thats the way the game is nowdays and if Ronaldo and Drogba and other wankers like that can get away with it then might aswell follow suite!

Nah..Being totally honest I dont agree with diving but when one of your own does it you cant help but shout for joy if it wins you something!

I dont think Gerrard dived anyway, top class player who held his nerve to clinch a deserved point at the very least!

You wont catch me complaining hehe!
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Nov 04, 2008 10:24:53 pm
      complete respect for ste... his momentum got him the penalty, nobody else would have the heart to jump in like that, its called passion, he has it for the reds, and he never gives up, well done steve you got us the point with a GREAT piece of play
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #6: Nov 04, 2008 10:47:03 pm
      I don't think he dove but the penalty was lucky to be given, BUT we got f***ed so many times during that game and the previous leg with penalties that were not given we should have gotten pens when we just stepped into the box. Every year I find myself saying I hope the refs in Europe will be better, and every year we get the same guys who are scared to make the proper but Big call, this needs to change and soon!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2008 11:02:05 pm
      10 times out of 10 that would have have been a foul out-side the box so why does it change once your inside. There were 4 pens in that game tonight but only one got given, all in all the ref was poor and so were the linesman but at least they got one decision right and thank god it was for us because we again should have had a few goals before they scored and in the second half we should have scored even more, (starting to remind me of past seasons). Hurry up back Nando we need you.....
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Nov 04, 2008 11:08:58 pm
      That was never a penalty but it was given Gerrard did make the most of it. There was contact but considering where Gerrard was in the box and the fact he's back was to the goal it should never have been given. It ended up earning us a valuable draw though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #9: Nov 04, 2008 11:14:39 pm
      If it'd be given up the other end then I'd be callin' their player all the cheatin' bas**rds goin' because it was minimumal in terms of contact. But we got it, he put it away and I don't lose any respect for Stevie because of it. At that time of the match, when you're one down, you have to be a little less sportsman like and go down easily.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Nov 04, 2008 11:52:30 pm
      Well done Stevie ,kept going till the end. It is either a foul or not, no such  thing as soft. It was a foul end off Gerrard got the ball , he didn't correct decision.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2008 12:16:54 am
      He did'nt dive, he got to the ball 1st and was hit in the back, and like he pointed out if it was anywhere else on the pitch then a free kick would have been given.

Also it just makes up for the one not given.

I would'nt pay any attention to that pillock who said it because it wa probably a manc or another jealous fan.

Steven Gerrard reflected on Liverpool's last-gasp draw with Atletico Madrid at Anfield and insisted: "It was a penalty." 
      The Reds remained on course for Champions League qualification after Gerrard picked himself up from being fouled in the area and slotted the spot kick high into the Kop net.

The final whistle was met with vociferous appeals from the Madrid players who felt the officials had got the decision wrong - but Gerrard insists there should be no controversy around the call.

"I'll have to have another look at it, but in my mind it was a penalty," he said. "I got there first and he came into the back of me. If it had happened anywhere else on the pitch it would be a free kick, so it was a penalty.

"I can understand their disappointment because of the timing of it. If it had happened at the other end we would have been livid. But that's football and we have to move on.

"It was a big result for us tonight and a big point. Good teams usually don't lose two games in a row and so it was important we got something.

"The first half wasn't good enough and we know that. We upped it in the second half, played at a higher tempo and pressed harder. We're still in a strong position in the group now.

"We showed a lot of character tonight and we have to take that into the next league game."

Link
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2008 12:19:26 am
      As they say, 'that's football'.

We should have had a pen before that incident anyway so justice was done in the end if it was a dive. Haven't seen the foul replayed yet.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2008 12:22:17 am
      He has dived in games before so I dunno why people are shocked about it. :f_doh:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2008 12:39:27 am
      He was knocked off the ball.  What a F***ing stupid topic to start.  In fact it's only staying up to provide you with embarrassment.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2008 12:43:50 am
      He was knocked off the ball.  What a F***ing stupid topic to start.  In fact it's only staying up to provide you with embarrassment.

yikes... :couch:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2008 02:59:06 am
      Definitely don't think it was a penalty but like SG said, if it happened anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick....agreed he got nudged in the back but it wasn't that forceful....would have been gutted if it happened down the other end.

End of story, we got it, SG converted and got us a point. Lets move on.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2008 06:27:54 am
      No dive that Atl madrid player did not attempt to go for the ball he went straight for Gerrard therefore a penalty simple as that, we all know if you dont play the ball its a free kick or in this case a penalty we should have had two of them any way for the hand balls but as it is the penalty on Gerrard was legit.

Even Big Phil said so  ;D

I think if some one could find the highlight of it you will see it was not soft Gerrard got slammed into with NO attempt to play the ball.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 06:33:12 am by dizzy141 »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2008 07:46:47 am
      It wasn't a pen full stop. I'm old enough to read someones face in an instant and Stevie knows exactally what he did!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2008 08:13:58 am
      If that penalty made the difference to winning  the European Champions Cup or losing would people still criticise Stevie Gerrard,I think not.As pointed out by other posters we should of had a legitimate penalty earlier.Anyway it was good to see Chelsea get a hiding by J.A.Rs Roma even if he only played for a couple of minutes. Sorry for going off topic MODS but it brightened my night when I saw that result.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2008 08:47:57 am
      I thought he got head butted from where I was sitting in the Kop. 

I seen it again on ITV when I got home, I thought maybe it was a bit of exaggeration from Stevie but I do think it was a pen.

But hey, as they say; what goes around, comes around. 

That was our 3RD clear cut penalty shout and we deserved at least one, but the most confusing part is that we got the one that looked the most unconvincing!

World Class penalty though, I do believe if the Goalkeeper saved it he would of ended up parrying it back at Gerrard. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2008 09:06:23 am
      Definately no loss of respect. A result driven business and he found a way to bring his team out of jail. We should have won in Madrid if it werent for the stupid ref so i see it as karma. We should have had 2 in the first 20 odd minutes this morning too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Nov 05, 2008 09:19:10 am
      It was a soft pen - don't get me wrong.  But as SG said - anywhere else on the pitch and it would have been a foul.

Quick Reply