Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Alvaro Arbeloa (Atletico Madrid)

Read 2777 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Alvaro Arbeloa (Atletico Madrid)
      Nov 16, 2008 01:07:12 pm
      From Sky Sports - not the best source I agree but it does have player quotes.

Liverpool full-back Alvaro Arbeloa insists he is in the dark over rumoured interest from Primera Division side Atletico Madrid.

Atletico are reportedly monitoring the former Real Madrid and Deportivo La Coruna defender with a view to bringing the Spain international back to his homeland.

However, when asked if he knew anything of the speculation, Arbeloa said:

"No. I have a contract with Liverpool for one more year.

"We've not spoken about renewing it, not knowing if (Liverpool manager Rafa) Benitez will continue...It seems to me a little soon to talk about this."

Arbeloa, who signed at Anfield from Depor in January 2007, went on to spell out that he has no doubts about the future of captain Steven Gerrard.

"A while ago there was some talk of Madrid wanting Gerrard; they can forget that, he will never move from here in his life," Arbeloa added in Spanish newspaper AS.

"He and (Jamie) Carragher are the ones here who the fans love a huge amount, and they love the club a huge amount.

"Now the dream of everyone is to win the league, as it is 18 years since Liverpool last achieved it and it hurts, but it will not be easy."

It seems the lack of a Rafa contract is starting to impact upon the players judging by the bit I've highlighted
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Re: Alvaro Arbeloa (Atletico Madrid)
      Reply #1: Nov 16, 2008 02:07:24 pm
      it seems to me that if we win the leauge this season and rafa has not had the contract he desires then not only will he walk,but most of the spanish players will follow suit.
      the duo need to pull their finger out and start giving contracts to the players that are our spine.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2008 03:13:10 pm
      Yea our one good right/left back this season will be sold.... no chance
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2008 03:37:50 pm
      Like i've said before,

it's important Rafa stays, if he goes, his Spanish armada follows
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2008 03:48:31 pm
      Don't want him to go but like I said about Reina earlier in the season, if they're here only for Benitez and not for the shirt then stuff them. They should want to stay at this club because they have an affection with the club and feel pride wearin the shirt, not because of a manager.

I'm not sayin players don't move to clubs because of a manager, but he should want to stay for the fans who've loved him and play for the badge.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2008 03:55:30 pm
      Yeah, but one of the reasons they came here was because of the Spanish connection.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #6: Nov 16, 2008 03:58:32 pm
      Yeah, but one of the reasons they came here was because of the Spanish connection.

Yes I pointed that out but even that shouldn't make any difference. When Liverpool Football Club come callin for you, you jump at the chance. We're still one of (if not the) biggest clubs in world football and our name is still held in the highest regard throughout world football. Everybody in the world knows the name of Liverpool Football Club and it's not the kind of opportunity you turn down or throw away just because another person has left the club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #7: Nov 16, 2008 04:01:15 pm
      Yeah, you're right. You don't leave the club just because the person who brought you and relates well to you has left the club.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2008 08:59:43 am
      Yes I pointed that out but even that shouldn't make any difference. When Liverpool Football Club come callin for you, you jump at the chance. We're still one of (if not the) biggest clubs in world football and our name is still held in the highest regard throughout world football. Everybody in the world knows the name of Liverpool Football Club and it's not the kind of opportunity you turn down or throw away just because another person has left the club.
      I agree with you 100%,it reminds of a story i read about Mark Lawrenson when he signed for us,he said he was in a hotel waiting to be picked up by Bob Paisley and he was shitting himself he was that nervous because a club like L.F.C. and the great Bob Paisley had signed him.Now whatever you think of him as a pundit he was not a bad player.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2008 10:14:44 am
      If he goes, not saying he will, then he wont be moving on a free. Especially when he is a key player for us and a Spanish international where we could really get a good price should he, somehow, not be in Rafa's plans.

Definately moving to to Atletico would be a backwards step for him in terms of his career. Yes they have had defensive problems and he would walk in to the side but being first choice at Liverpool and being first choice at Atletico are two completely different things. Especially when everyone loves us back in Spain.

Career wise, stupid. If its the surroundings he is missing then i understand though. Thats the only reason i can see being the issue.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2008 03:09:46 pm
      regardless of what club you are playing for,if the club does not have the loyalty to give the manager the contract he desires,then the club have no belief in him,thats how it works with certain players,when a manager comes in for them then he has belief in that player and shows him that he is confidence in him,then that player shows him loyalty.
      most of the spanish players were not good enough  to be internationals for ther country,untill they started playing for rafa at liverpool,barring torres.
      lets not forget arebola used to play for real madrid,and i never heard of him untill rafa bought him,great buy.
      NandoTheLegend
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts |
      Keep your Hands Off!
      Reply #11: Mar 01, 2009 09:18:44 pm
      Atletico Madrid have targeted Liverpool right-back Alvaro Arbeloa and could offer £7m for the Spaniard. (The People)

Arbeloa is class and should not leave.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Keep your Hands Off!
      Reply #12: Mar 01, 2009 09:23:00 pm
      Any link please
      BIG BOB
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #13: Mar 01, 2009 09:25:05 pm
      you should only get rid of players if you have better ones to come in. as theres not that much quality around i think he should stay.
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #14: Mar 01, 2009 09:45:33 pm
      you should only get rid of players if you have better ones to come in. as theres not that much quality around I think he should stay.

Shown beautifully yesterday when we had Skyrtel at right back...
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #15: Mar 01, 2009 11:57:38 pm
      We need to keep Arbeloa he is a good player
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #16: Mar 02, 2009 12:11:18 am
      Not for 7mill anyway
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Mar 02, 2009 12:30:11 am
      Arboloa is the only experienced right back at the club that doesn't has his arse glued down to the melwood medical room. It would of been difference if we have someone else because 7m quid for him would be a good return when you think we only paid 2m for him two and half years ago.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #18: Mar 02, 2009 12:32:10 am
      He wanted to leave in the summer... because he said he wanted his kids to get educated in Spain... but was persuaded to stay.... I think he may leave, he may request to leave and if the price is right, i fear he will go.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #19: Mar 02, 2009 12:46:30 am
      There was already a topic about this, merged the two threads.

I don't think Arby will be going anywhere - he's our only right-back.
      gilly
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #20: Mar 02, 2009 08:23:12 am
      Definately dont want him to go.he gets better each game

Quick Reply