Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Thierry Henry talks about Steven Gerrard and Awards

Read 6267 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Thierry Henry talks about Steven Gerrard and Awards
      Nov 21, 2008 07:43:35 am
      http://LINK

“It’s a disgrace that Liverpool captain has never won player award” claims ex-Arsenal striker
      by stresster on November 20th, 2008

We’ll soon find out who is officially the best player in Europe and the World, with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi vying for the accolades. However, this former Gunner reckons that there’s one player who should have been recognised by now, especially after his heroics in 2005.

Setanta reports that on the eve of the awards ceremony, Thierry Henry has bemoaned the fact that Steven Gerrard has not collected the Ballon D’Or trophy after some fantastic seasons playing for Liverpool. The Frenchman is positively astounded that the scouser didn’t lift the award in 2005 after guiding his team to Champions League success in Istanbul.

“I find it a disgrace that he didn’t win European Footballer of the Year in 2005 after Istanbul. For me, he is one of the best ever.

“Whenever you play Liverpool you know you have to get him out of the game. If not, it’s all over for you.

“He’s a midfielder and if you look at all the important goals he’s scored - well I can’t even think of a striker in the world who has scored as many important goals, never mind a midfielder. How many times has he done it in the dying seconds of a game? I am trying to think of a striker now who does it - there aren’t any. Think about it.

“For me, and I have always said this, he will be regarded as one of the greatest midfielders ever when he finishes his career. No doubt.

Liverpool supporters, do you agree with Henry’s assertion that Gerrard will go down in football folklore when he retires, not just in the Anfield annals of history? The Frenchman certainly appears to be a big fan of the midfielder, who famously nearly made the switch to Chelsea a few seasons ago but decided against it at the last minute.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162097081120-1129.htm (Full Interview)

________________________ ________________________ _

Totally agree with Henry here.

Isn't it a bit funny that the best players mostly come from the La Liga or Serie A? Makes me wonder what else our Captain has to do to earn a little more than props

PAST WINNERS

KakĂĄ AC Milan 2007

Fabio Cannavaro Juventus / Real Madrid 2007

Ronaldinho Barcelona 2005 (The year we won the Champions League)

Andriy Shevchenko AC Milan 2004

Pavel Nedvěd Juventus 2003

Ronaldo Inter Milan /Real Madrid 2002

Roberto Carlos Real Madrid 2001

Michael Owen Liverpool 2000

RaĂșl GonzĂĄlez Real Madrid 1999

LuĂ­s Figo Barcelona / Real Madrid 1990

Rivaldo Barcelona 1997

Zinedine Zidane Juventus 1996

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008 07:49:41 am by solodee »
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Re: Thierry Henry talks about Steven Gerrard and Awards
      Reply #1: Nov 21, 2008 07:56:10 am
      Totally agree with him. I have a sneaky suspicion Henry wants to join Liverpool, because of some of his great comments. He's also said before that anfield is the best stadium he's ever played at.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2: Nov 21, 2008 09:30:49 am
      I would love him at Anfield BUT it isn't going to happen. He seems a loyal person and even though he left Arsenal, he still wouldnt join another premier league club. If he did i think he would want a stupid clause in his contract saying that he doesnt have to play against Arsenal haha.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Nov 21, 2008 11:15:20 am
      He'd like to pair up with Stevie but his past with Arsenal unables him to do so.
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #4: Nov 23, 2008 11:37:08 pm
      i would love to see henry come to liverpool and link up with alonso mascha torres and stevie G. i think that would be a force which would have everyone making brown trousers time!
      mancslayer
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      • Mancs = Devil Worshipers
      Reply #5: Nov 24, 2008 12:47:54 pm
      can you imagine henry torres and gerrard all in one team we would in informal terms "kick ass"
      But to the original question yes of course stevie should have won the Ballon D'or by now not that ponce Ronaldo and can anyone remember anything that Ronaldinho did in 2005 that was better than Stevie G I think not it doesnt help that Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini seem to hate the premier league and astoundingly still havent awarded us the world cup even tho we have the best fans, stadiums and facilities in the world do deal with it. Name one stadium (apart from the Emirates) more fit to host the world cup final than wembley sorry kind of going of topic but yes stevie should have won at least three times by now

Quick Reply