Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Ryan Babel (Real Madrid)

Read 14477 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Ryan Babel (Real Madrid)
      Nov 25, 2008 11:17:49 am
      Real Madrid are stepping up on their search for attacking options with the latest links to Liverpool forward Ryan Babel.
      As Ruud van Nistelrooy is out for the season, the Primera Liga champions are now looking to take Babel to the Bernabeu in January.

The Dutchman, usually a winger but also comfortable in a central strike role, has been frustrated Anfield this season having started just once in the Premier League, but Rafael Benitez insisted Babel still has a future at Anfield.

"He's improving and he's working hard and trying to learn and have a proper understanding of the Premier League, and hopefully we will see the best of Babel this year," he told the Daily Express.

"But he is still a young player and he needs to change some things and he will be better. He knows that sometimes he can be a very good player for us and he is trying."

With the Reds said to be looking to offload players to raise cash for their own foray into the transfer market, a US$22.7 million (£15m) bid may sway hearts and minds at the Merseyside club.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't say he should leave. He still has a future as he's young. Give him some time and he has shown in certain games last season that he can be one of the future.

Your thoughts?
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008 03:21:06 pm by JD »
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Real target Liverpool forward
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2008 11:26:08 am
      He's a great prospect. I am a touch worried he might be tempted by this with what he's said in the media over the past couple of weeks.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2008 01:20:37 pm
      We bought him for 11 to sell him for 15 would not be bad business..although id prefer he stays
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2008 02:24:07 pm
      Damn.  I saw the title and thought it was Voronin they were after.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2008 03:09:21 pm

I was fooled as well. I thought Real Madrid wanted Fernando Torres!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2008 04:47:52 pm

Living in a dream world mate ;).

Babel shouldn't be allowed to go, far too much promise. He'll get his chance, and eventually he will definitely be a first team player in a few years. Patience Ryan, patience...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,194 posts | 3390 
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2008 04:49:02 pm
      If we can get 15 million for him, I'd take it. At this moment in time that's not a bad price for him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2008 05:07:14 pm
      Wont happen and even if they did make an offer I hope and think Rafa would reject it on the spot. I thought they were targetting Agger in the winter, not heard anymore about that for ages.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2008 06:38:19 pm
      I wouldn't get rid of Babel unless it was silly money (20m).
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2008 07:03:12 pm
      He's one for the future. I wouldn't get rid of him.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Ryan Babel - Real Madrid
      Reply #10: Nov 26, 2008 12:43:34 am
      If we can get 15 million for him, I'd take it. At this moment in time that's not a bad price for him.

That's the thing isn't it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see him leave. But at this moment in time he's obviously not doing any good on the bench and he's not doing much when he's coming off it. And it would be a profit.

More than likely paper talk anyway though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,194 posts | 3390 
      Reply #11: Nov 26, 2008 12:54:18 am
      That's the thing isn't it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see him leave. But at this moment in time he's obviously not doing any good on the bench and he's not doing much when he's coming off it. And it would be a profit.

More than likely paper talk anyway though.

Exactly mate, Babel may well be a star in the future but he isn't at the moment. For 15 million (the reported price) we could buy a player who is a star now. People'll say we can raise it by selling four or five sh*t players, but looking back at Benitez' track record in the transfer market, if he sells four players, he'll want replacements for all four of those players.

As I've said, 15 million I'd take.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Nov 26, 2008 01:00:05 am
      For 15 million I'd probably take it. I don't even think Rafa sees him getting into his side for another 2 years. Hence buying Riera and Keane.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #13: Nov 26, 2008 12:17:14 pm
      I think 15 million may be too good for all parties considering he isnt considered a first teamer and had limited chances but will leave for a healthy profit. But if he's frustrated here, he wont have much fun competing with Raul, Robben, Higuain, Saviola, Sneijder, Van Der Vaart, Drenthe and Marcelo plus Horsey face when he comes back. Just stick to it Ryan, patience is a virtue.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Nov 26, 2008 01:03:12 pm
      I think this will test Ryan's loyalty, if he's going to kick it all off like Ronaldo did in the summer, he can go.  He's going to be a great player when he reaches the age of 25 - 26.

My only worry is that he will F**k us off any way if he becomes to big headed with his talent.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #15: Nov 26, 2008 01:14:40 pm
      Ryan Babel has reiterated his desire for increased first-team opportunities at Liverpool but insists he is not going to quit Anfield.

The Dutch winger has found it difficult to force a place in Rafa Benitez's starting XI this season as the Reds mount a Premier League title challenge.

Benitez has rotated his squad less than in the previous campaigns, meaning fringe players such as Babel have not been handed as many starts.

And the 21-year-old, who has previously voiced his frustrations at a place among the substitutes, admits he is disappointed he has not had a regular chance to impress from kick-off.

"The rotation system is a thing of the past and I'm one of the victims of that," Babel told Sportweek.

Patience

"The team is winning a lot, so you don't alter things just like that.

"Each season has about 60 games. 'I must work hard and wait for my chance,' is what you hear, but I've shown enough patience. I want to play.

"You get better and develop when you play. On the bench, nothing happens. Of course I'm disappointed when I don't play, that seems clear to me."

However, Babel - who has forged a 'super-sub' reputation following a series of match-winning performances from the bench - is not set to seek a Merseyside exit.

"I don't want to go," he said. "My contract runs until 2012. I don't give up that easily."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,194 posts | 3390 
      Reply #16: Nov 26, 2008 03:43:27 pm
      The reason you're not getting chances from the start Mr Babel is due to fact that when you do start you very rarely do anything worthy of a starting place. Do you remember the Spurs game in the Carling Cup?

Sorry but moaning to the press (again) is not the way to go about it lad, get you head down and continue to work at your weaknesses to make you a better player then you might get a run of starts. If you're not gonna do that then leave in January.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #17: Nov 26, 2008 03:49:54 pm
      Anyone else think he should start upfront with torres on monday against west ham?
      Keane always complains only playing 70 minutes even when he's sh*t. I prefer him to Keane to be honest
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #18: Nov 26, 2008 04:17:12 pm
      The reason you're not getting chances from the start Mr Babel is due to fact that when you do start you very rarely do anything worthy of a starting place. Do you remember the Spurs game in the Carling Cup?

Yet in the other games he started he played quite well, especially the game away in France.
      Nightwolf
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #19: Nov 26, 2008 04:21:32 pm
      IMO the most underated liverpool young player.

Players such as lucas (who imo is soooo overated) get the time and chances which babel just doesnt get.

Look at the impact he made against man u, came on and scored a (sumwhat lucky) goal to win the match. What more does he need to do to prove himself?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,194 posts | 3390 
      Reply #20: Nov 26, 2008 05:27:29 pm
      Yet in the other games he started he played quite well, especially the game away in France.

Sorry mate but I can't agree. In France all Babel done (that I remember) was win the penalty. I thought he was static for the rest of the game.

Against Crewe in the league cup he was again disappointing where he didn't seem to be interested. Same with the Portsmouth game where he might as well not been on the pitch.

Fair enough he's only had a handful of starts, but in every start he's had this year I don't think he's looked interested and has wasted the chance when they've came about.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #21: Nov 26, 2008 05:27:34 pm

Sorry but moaning to the press (again) is not the way to go about it lad, get you head down and continue to work at your weaknesses to make you a better player then you might get a run of starts. If you're not gonna do that then leave in January.

Doesn't sound to be moaning too much to me. He states that he understands why he's being left out, but that he's desperate to get some action - pretty understandable!

I like this comment the best:

Quote from Ryan Babel
      "I don't want to go," he said. "My contract runs until 2012. I don't give up that easily."

That's the spirit!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,194 posts | 3390 
      Reply #22: Nov 26, 2008 05:35:12 pm
      Doesn't sound to be moaning too much to me. He states that he understands why he's being left out, but that he's desperate to get some action - pretty understandable!

Well he wants to try taking the limited chances he does get. When you don't get many games, it's vital you make the most of the chances you do get. This season, Ryan Babel hasn't. He scored the winner against United, he was rewarded with a start against Marsielle where I personally thought he was poor. He had a blinder against Chelsea from the bench and was rewarded with a start against Portsmouth, where again I thought he was poor.

This is why he isn't playing, because he's had chances and done nothing (but win one penalty) in his starts. He's got no one to blame but himself as to why he's still on the bench, so going to the press bemoaning the fact that he wants more games is just a waste of time when he's not done anything during his starts. If he had blinders every time he managed to get a start, then he'd have the right to want more games but when you've been pretty much none existant during your starts the last thing to do is complain about why you're not starting. Head down, hard work and take the next chance that's what he should be doing.

Quick Reply