Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Prematch - Liverpool v West Ham

Read 13752 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Prematch - Liverpool v West Ham
      Nov 28, 2008 11:58:47 pm
      Well the Premiership is our main focus again now. We've got a side who have just ended their current run without a win, so they'll be looking to keep that going which could prove difficult for us. We're without Torres again, which either means back to one up top  :f_wah: or two out of Keane/Kuyt/Babel/Ngog. I personally think it'll be one up top and that one will be Keane.

We'll have the knowledge of what Chelsea have done before we play and hopefully Aresnal can do us a favour there. Even a draw for Scolari's men wouldn't be too bad for us, but no matter what they do we must win because I feel another draw at Anfield will have a lot of fans doubting us again. Some fans made it clear they weren't happy with the goalless draw at Fulham, so another game where we drop points could have the same effect. A must win game and a game we can providing we settle early.

During the Marseille game one or two looked very tired, but this is not the game to give them a rest because we need full strenght (or at least full from what's available) in every Premiership game.

If I remember rightly, I've gone for a 2-0 win.
      « Last Edit: Dec 01, 2008 08:39:42 am by JD »
      MsGerrard
      Re: Prematch - Liverpool v West Ham
      Reply #1: Nov 29, 2008 12:11:31 am
      Seems odd that this match is being played on a Monday night...........not right in my opinion and I'll miss my badminton.

Bloody Television companies.

Anyway, we need to get back to winning ways again, with no Torres, I guess we'll all be looking to Robbie Keane (if Rafa plays him) sure he will, to stick that ball in the back of the net, cos we haven't really got anyone else have we, and unlike Nando, Keane can't and shouldn't play up front on his own especially at home.

So will it be Babel? N'Gog or one of the younger lads from the reserves? We will have to wait and see but I'd love to see Nemeth given a go up front.

I'm going for a win for Liverpool............I should think so I hear you say, but will it be 2-0, 2-1, 1-0  :( or will we be daredevils and get 3  ;) To be honest any win will do me, but it would be nice to make things comfortable for ourselves for a change.

So I'll stick my neck out and go for 3-1.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Nov 29, 2008 12:16:24 am
      DLS i think this is a match we MUST shine in, certain attackers must show their possible worth to the cause now, if they dont then its surley curtains for them.

im going for a 4-0  as its about time LFC pulled their fingers out and gave us something to shout about, we may be top of the league but we are not top of our form

shining players i think that can pull us through to have a glorous christmas are

KUYT....this man plays out of his skin whenver he can and is really an adoped scouser,

GERRARD...... huytons biggest export since the jimmy kelly murderers song....and the kingpin of the side, he is coming close to king kennys achievements as one of liverpools best now

ALONSO.........dynamite this year, he has got to be one of liverpools players of the season already

CARRAGHER..........no explanation required

MASCHERANO.......fire in his guts.... he is from the same background as half the scousers so in my mind he is a virtual scouser

AGGER.................th is man is class on a stick, powerful, and a natural defender

with these players we can win the leage, and we can blow away the bubbles of west ham

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Nov 29, 2008 06:10:31 am
      I don't need to state the importance of this game or in fact of every game we play.

This game is being played at home and it is a MUST win for us and we don't need to bother what the other title rivals' resuts are but let's just hope Chelsea slip up against Arsenal and Man City do us a favour against United.

Like it has been stated, play the full strength team. We can't be thinking it'll be easy against team having a bad run of form as we know what happened at Anfield this season. Play the full strength team and remove them when we are winning. We'd have many days left before we play Blackburn.

Come on lads, get out there, put in your class performance, lift up our hopes, get the 3 points and don't forget to score 3 and concede none so I can get 5 points in the Prediction League :P

The 3 points is more important, though.
      scouseuk
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | -3 
      Reply #4: Nov 29, 2008 08:46:07 am
      we cant afford to drop points at any stage now
      its a must win  game
      time to step up the pressure on chelsea and score more goals
      if they want to be seen as the team that cant do it
      fire them up and kill them off in the first half
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Nov 29, 2008 10:35:35 am
      Unfortunatly I feel the result will depend upon the Chelsea result. I know it shouldn't but its just a feeling.
      I hope we don't go for the 4-5-1 at home, but a similar formation to last wednesdays, without the second half performance, of course. I think Keane will play and probally should any way, just hope he gets the run of the ball and cuts out the fancy stuff, Saying that I think Stevie may have a blinder as he seems to be pumped up for the League at the moment, Masser has no sympathy for the Hammers so expect him to be booked at least. 2-0 to us. Kuyt and Stevie. One Early goal, and one at the end of the first half.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #6: Nov 29, 2008 12:11:24 pm
      I think we probably will have to play 4-5-1 with the injuries we have now.

Can't believe we have to wait till Monday night.  It seems a while since we had a Monday night game and I hate em!

At least we will still be second though on Monday night.  Not bad and we can only watch the other games with our fingers crossed. Clearly we know it is a must win game after the last league run out.  All eyes will be on a performance to match.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2779 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Nov 29, 2008 12:28:02 pm
      A must win with hopefully the teams around us dropping points. West ham will use Fulham to give themselves confidence so for me we need to tear into them from the start. The big debate here i suppose is who plays? For me its 4 4 2 with Masch dropping out and Stevie in there with Xabi. Keane and Babel up top. Id like to see Insua get a chance at left back but an option I would consider would be Agger to left back and Sami in with Carra

my 11

REINA
      ARBE CARRA AGGER INSUA
      KUYTY STEVIE XABI RIERA
              KEANE  BABEL

Rafas likely 11

REINA
      ARBE CARRA AGGER DOSSENA
              MASCH XABI
      YOSSI STEVIE RIERA
               KUYT
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Nov 29, 2008 01:56:37 pm
      Its bad we r havnig the game on Monday. I would prefer we play on Saturday. Its better we get the points as early as possible and have the pressure back on the Blues instead of the other way round.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #9: Nov 29, 2008 02:13:53 pm
      Have to take our chances and kill the game off early. It's time for Robbie to step it up and show his worth. Stop missing 5 yarders week in week out, Robbie lad. We should not think about how the other teams are doing, we just have to win every game.

I am going to miss this game although i would like to watch it. It's 4 am on a Tuesday morning for me and I have school to go. Sorry Reds :(
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #10: Nov 29, 2008 03:19:34 pm
      Last weekend I said : this could be a good weekend with maure away to villa and arsenal away to city and...
      I'll say the same again this weekend.
      Manure away to city and chelsea play arsenal.
      WE HAVE TO WIN THIS ONE!!!!!! Arsenal can put in performances in the big games so we could have a chance to go 2 maybe even 3 points clear.

This would be my XI to start:

REINA
      ARBELOA   CARRA   AGGER    DOSSENA
                       MASCHERANO
      KUYT    GERRARD    ALONSO      RIERA
                            BABEL

But I think Rafa will play that side only replacing babel for keane.
      Also is skrtel fit yet? Or any time soon?
      Can't wait to see him back in the side
      Come on reds let's take top spot and keep hold of it !! :D

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Nov 29, 2008 03:22:28 pm
      I think the starting 11 should be:

Reina

Arby                     Agger             Carra                Insua

Xabi              Mash

Kuyt                               Gerrard                   Reira

Babel

No Keane, no Dossena, no more excuses for either they have been given time IMO, now others need a shot
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2008 03:51:42 pm
                                             Reina

Arby                     Agger             Carra                Insua

Xabi              Mash

Kuyt                               Gerrard                   Reira

Babel

I'd go with that but i wouldn't mind having Keane instead of Babel even though he misses those 5 yarders.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #13: Nov 29, 2008 04:07:53 pm
      I think the starting 11 should be:

Reina

Arby                     Agger             Carra                Insua

Xabi              Mash

Kuyt                               Gerrard                   Reira

Babel

No Keane, no Dossena, no more excuses for either they have been given time IMO, now others need a shot

I'd go for that as well Mag, but I'd have Gerrard on the right and stick Kuyt up with Babel. I think we'd kick their arses if we played that 4-4-2.

Reckon Rafa will go with Keane up on his own with Gerrard behind him though. And unfortunately, I think Dossena will be starting.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2008 05:51:50 pm
      I think after two very poor performances at home I think Rafa needs to change things up a little bit since we hit a bit of a poor patch.

I would go with something like

- - - - - - - - - - Pepe - - - - - - - - - - -
      Arboloa - - Carra - - Agger - - - Insua
      El Zhar - - Gerrard - - Alonso - - Babel
      - - - - - - - Keane - - - Kuyt - - - - - - -

Javi and Riera would sit this one out after they had poor couple of games and replace them with Babel and El Zhar. Replace Torres with Keane and push Kuyt to support him.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008 06:30:43 pm by adammac »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #15: Nov 29, 2008 05:54:50 pm
      Replace Keane with Torres and push Kuyt to support him.

Are you saying an injured Torres is better than Keane?

Javi will be up for this one, I'd leave him in.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 29, 2008 06:22:53 pm
      I'd go with that but i wouldn't mind having Keane instead of Babel even though he misses those 5 yarders.

But Keane would never get the ball so he could miss 5 yarders, he'd miss the ball altogether
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #17: Nov 29, 2008 06:45:36 pm
      If Keane plays, he needs to be the support striker to get the best out of him. Babel up front, Keane in the hole. Midfield of Kuyt, Mash, Alonso, Gerrard. Back 4 Arboloa, Carra, Agger and Insua. Reina  in the onion bag.
      I think with this we should be safe for 3 - 1 As long as we keep a high tempo to the game. If Chelski and  The Mancs fail to get a win, I fear we will not be as adventurous as we should be, because the win won't be as necessary. We need to play every game now like it's a final. C.O.Y.M.R. :scarf:
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Nov 29, 2008 09:34:02 pm
      Here's the chance to put Wednesdays second half to bed,I have an awful feeling Rafa will give Dosena another run out to try to restore some of his confidence but whoever plays I want to see some fire in the belly and a lot more determination than we have been showing lately. I agree with what GERNS says for the most part, one thing though I hope Rafa brings Stevie G back to the midfeild and like what a lot of you think maybe it's time to give Babel a spot along side Keane for a game or two......
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #19: Nov 29, 2008 11:57:06 pm
      Midfield of Kuyt, Mash, Alonso, Gerrard.

On paper looks great, on the field looks a shambles because there's no one on the left. I'd be disappointed to see that midfield if I'm being honest.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #20: Nov 30, 2008 12:47:22 am
      "Midfield of Kuyt, Mash, Alonso, Gerrard. "
      On paper looks great, on the field looks a shambles because there's no one on the left. I'd be disappointed to see that midfield if I'm being honest.

Same here. I really don't fancy those type. I think Riera - Xabi - Masch - Kuyt with Stevie in front of them is the best for me even if it means playing 4-5-1.

the danger playing Stevie at the centre in a 4-4-2 formation is if we are still 0-0 with 10 minutes left, he'd push more to try to be a match winner and it'll leave a hole at the centre. With Xabi and Masch behind him, Stevie can do whatever he wants, ;D.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Nov 30, 2008 01:24:16 am
                                     Reina

Arbeloa       Carragher          Agger          Insua

Kuyt            Alonso            Masch          Riera

Gerrard

Babel

Keane, Aurellio and Dossena dont deserve a spot so give those guys who are desperate for a spot a go. Its West Ham at home, perfect time to show us what they got.

I'm going to stick with my big predictions and say 5-0.
      KOPMKD
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts |
      Reply #22: Nov 30, 2008 02:05:56 am
                                     Reina

Arbeloa       Carragher          Agger          Insua

Kuyt            Alonso            Masch          Riera

Gerrard

Babel

Keane, Aurellio and Dossena dont deserve a spot so give those guys who are desperate for a spot a go. Its West Ham at home, perfect time to show us what they got.

I'm going to stick with my big predictions and say 5-0.
      I agree with you for 10 starters,but Babel in front?I don't think so man,i'd rather see Gerrard-Keane pairing upfront,Babel is a kind of player that need more space,wont have it in front of West ham box dont you think?He will get his chance replacing Riera on the wing for last 30 min.Monday is Robie night to find the back of the net i hope,he'll get his chances with Xabi's and Steavie's passes,lets pray he scores this time.
      I have a felling that Chelski will be held by Gunners,lets go on top alone please!!!Well,its eather felling or my F***ing desire ;)

Quick Reply