Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match

Read 34726 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match
      Dec 16, 2008 01:10:11 am

Arsenal v Liverpool
      Sunday 21st December
      Kick off 4pm - Live on Sky Sports 1

Think probably most of us have managed to get the Hull game out of our system by now - it's been a struggle for me, I must admit.

So it's time to move on and focus on this big game.

Personally I think this could prove more of a test than the away game to Chelsea. Like us, Arsenal have turned up for the big games so far this season. So I reckon it will either be like a game of chess or a game that will see you go through a plethora of emotions. I'm not sure which one I'd prefer...

I think we can beat them though. We are due a win and the way this season is going, what you expect and what you hope for seems to be vice versa.

We can not afford to be slack at the back though. We all know these lot pose a good threat on the attack in more than one way. And we can't afford to be shy in attack.

Use the best players for the job. Obviously I'm expecting it to be another 4-5-1 formation, but it will be interesting to see if Kuyt is up on his own again after the Hull game. Not sure about anyone else?

If Dangerous Dossena gets picked to play, he needs to stay back all game and let Reira/Babel look after the attack down the left. Gerrard can also help out there too. Personally, I'd rather see Insua ahead of DD though.

Whether it's Hyypia or Agger with Carra will also be interesting too.

The key area for me though is midfield (as always). We have to stop them playing and make sure we pose a real threat from more than just one player on his own. Alonso and Gerrard really have to boss this game. That is the key!

Let's prove we've at least improved on the other big three.....all we have to worry about is the draws then!

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Arsenal v Liverpool - pre match
      Reply #1: Dec 16, 2008 01:42:11 am
      Maybe Its time to put Babel upfront while Keane plays behind him. Babel may just have a brilliant game.Benanyun before Kuyt for me. We need experienced players for this game.

My preferred line up

Reina

Carragher  Hyypia  Agger
                  Arbeloa                           Riera
                                Mascherano
                         Gerrard          Alonso
                                     Keane
                               Babel
      Rafa switched a formation to this format once when we needed that win against one of these teams that got a red card. We got that win.
      nzal
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #2: Dec 16, 2008 03:05:20 am
      I agree -we need another striker up front with Keane - I  think Arsenal are definitely weaker in the central defence than in the past .How about 4-2-4 with Stevie and Masch in central midfield and Kuyt and Riera wide?
                                                                           Reina
                                              Arbie        Carra               Agger   Aurelio/Insua

Kuyt           Stevie              Masch          Riera

Babel                 Keane                                                                               
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #3: Dec 16, 2008 04:01:41 am
      i would be interested with the keane babel pairing up front, maybe in a sub later in the game of el zhar.
      whts with torres, i thought he'd be back by now?!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #4: Dec 16, 2008 05:28:15 am
      GK - Reina
      DF - Arbeloa, Carra, Agger and Insua(unless Aurelio is fit)
      MF - Kuyt, Mascherano, Xabi and Riera
      St - Stevie behind Keane

That is probably the strongest for me with Babel, Benayoun and El Zhar playing some part later in the game depending on what the score is like at the hour mark.

At the moment, our away form is much better than our home. At the same time, Arsenal aren't easy to beat at Emirates especially when they play their title rivals.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Dec 16, 2008 07:24:06 am
      Its time to get back to winning ways and what better than to beat Arsenal at the Emirates. On our day we can beat any team  so here is to the MIGHTY REDS making us proud this weekend.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #6: Dec 16, 2008 07:35:17 am
      I wouldn't play Sami for this. They don't pose much of an aerial threat other than Adebayor, but Carragher can handle him.
      ---------------Reina
      Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Insua
      -------Alonso------Gerrard
      Kuyt------------------------Riera
      ----------------Keane
      -----------Babel
      westerlies
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Dec 16, 2008 07:36:25 am
      I'll like to see Insua play too. He played well against BR, solid and confident. Bring back Keane, put Kuyt back to the right and Agger partner with Carra. Hope Rafa can give more time for Babel, don't bring him on around 80min, it's better to give him at least 30min IMO.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #8: Dec 16, 2008 07:38:20 am
      We need to win this one of that I have doubt , if only to show everybody that the top 3 so called clubs are BEHIND us ! we seem to be a lot less motivated for the 'other' Clubs and I think that's been our undoing, Rafa telling to boys to treat every team the same and the boys actually doing it is different.  2-0 to us  :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Dec 16, 2008 07:52:34 am
      Left back is our trouble spot here, they have pace to burn down the flanks. I think Arby can handle Nasri as he seems to cut in alot and not move out to cross.

Reina

Arbeloa        Carragher         Agger         Insua

Masch            Alonso

Kuyt                                                  Riera

Gerrard

Keane

Cavalieri   Hyypia   Darby   Lucas   Benayoun   N'gog   Babel

I think we'll win this, we play better away from home and they are under immense pressure. Not to say it will be easy, we have to dictate terms and get on top of their midfield and with Masch and Xabi letting Gerrard lose i think it can be done.

Fabregas is key for this side, take him out of the game (legally) and it'll be a much easier task. They need leadership at a time like this and all their play goes through him.

Keane will be the match winner here, should he score i expect him to score 2 or 3. He will be hungry for it (well, he should be) and really needs to answer his critics. I think theres no better place to do it.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #10: Dec 16, 2008 09:55:32 am
      I like the look of your team Crouchinho.............t hat's who I'd pick personally, but I think Rafa will play Dossena  :(

There is something wrong if Rafa doesn't play Keane on Sunday.

My prediction........... a tight 2-1 to Liverpool.
      Stevie G-ks
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #11: Dec 16, 2008 11:20:49 am
       The best Formation Against Arsenal is !

---------------------------------------Keane-----------------------------------

------Riera(Babel)-----------------Stevie G-----------------------Kuyt---------

---------------------------Alonso--------------Mascherano-------------------------

--------Aurelio-----------Agger----------------Carragher--------------Arbeloa-------

----------------------------------------Reina------------------------------------------------
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Dec 16, 2008 11:50:47 am
      Still gutted after the Hull game to fully think a formation and game plan out.

From what I have read is some of the posts as usual there are far fetched predictions of 2-0 and such (who ever is this confident throw a few quid on it you will win your self a few beers) I like the look of your team Croucinho however one ammendment I would make is start Hyppia in the back for two reasons. Firstly Adebayor is physical and is not a pacey player and secondly Arsenal have conceided 70% of their goals from set pieces whether that be corners or 2 against Stoke via Delaps. So we would need Sammi for the aerial threat he provides I need not remind you of that cracker he scored in the CL QF last season and since then Arsenal have suffered in the centre of defense Gallas and Toure are nowhere near top form.

Maybe Agger on the left instead of Dossena I think it would be too big of a game to throw an apprentice in but I am sure he will cope better then Dossena.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Dec 16, 2008 11:53:12 am
       Isn't Aurelio still out injured ?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Dec 16, 2008 11:57:11 am
      Yeah Aurelio is still out!
      lfcinpa
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #15: Dec 16, 2008 02:31:17 pm
      Crouchinho.  Is Nasri back?  He's been out injured the last few games.  Arsenal seem to have a decent amount of injury concerns, but I think we can take them even at full strength.  Hopefully not another 1-1 like last season.

I'll go 2-1 to the Reds with Kuyt and Gerrard.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #16: Dec 16, 2008 03:21:16 pm
                                                                      N'gog

Keane

Riera                                                                          Kuyt

Gerrard             Alonso

Insua                      Carragher          Agger                   Arbeloa
      MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Dec 16, 2008 03:53:53 pm
      ^^^  No goalie then Witto, I know our back four are good but.........
      northennutta
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts | -2 
      Reply #18: Dec 16, 2008 03:59:13 pm
      NA defo gonna be
      gk - reina
      df- arbeloa, carra, hypia or agger and dossena
      Md - reiera alonso masc gerrard kuyt
      fwd- keane

Dossena will play because arsenal are havin some major troubles and injuries they are lackin wingers walcott and nasri are out so no1 to take d piss out of dossena at the back and wen he gets forward he can be good for us.
      hypia or agger dependin on defensive or attackin play hypia good at gettin forward more but i think agger slightly better defensively more reliable. tbh i wud go wit hypias experience thts what we have on arsenal a solid experienced team.
      probs the usual 65th minute babel on and if keane doesnt produce may be dropped round tht time to make room for ngog.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #19: Dec 16, 2008 04:04:11 pm
      ^^^  No goalie then Witto, I know our back four are good but.........
      ;D but its a bit obvious we will play Reina :)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #20: Dec 16, 2008 04:05:01 pm
      ;D but its a bit obvious we will play Reina :)

I know  ;)..........was only teasing  :)
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      Reply #21: Dec 16, 2008 04:33:12 pm
      I reckon we will beat these, we seem to put all our effort into the bigger games.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #22: Dec 16, 2008 04:40:17 pm
      Keane definitely needs to play, dropping him for a third straight game would mean something.....Keane will make good runs and would sooner or later score one of his 4 yarders.

Masch will need to mark Cesc Fabregas till he's bored.

-------------------Reina---------------------
      Arbeloa----Carragher-----Agger--------Aurelio/Insua
      Kuyt--------Mascherano------Alonso-------Riera
      -------------------Gerrard--------------------
      ------------------Keane----------------------

El Zhar, Babel and Benayoun to come on later depending on the situation.

Quick Reply