Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Gerrard to be charged with affray

Read 36184 times
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Gerrard to be charged with affray
      Dec 29, 2008 10:55:20 am
      DO NOT SPECULATE on what may or may not have happened - this is for discussion surrounding press released articles.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7802932.stm#id7800000/7803700

England and Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard has been arrested following an alleged assault.

The incident happened at about 0230 GMT at a pub in Southport. Six men were detained later in a nearby street.

The men, four from Huyton, one from Formby and one from Litherland, remain in police custody.

A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries which are not believed to be life threatening.

The men from Huyton are aged 33, 31, 29 and 19. A 28-year-old from Formby and an 18-year-old from Litherland are also being questioned.

Gerrard, 28, is Liverpool captain and scored twice in his team's 5-1 victory over Newcastle on Sunday.

*****************************************************************************************************************************

I'm shocked!! I wouldn't expect this kind of behaviour from our captain.  >:(
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009 12:12:23 pm by JD, Reason: Title changed. »
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Re: Gerrard Arrested!!
      Reply #1: Dec 29, 2008 10:56:54 am
      Oh dear. That's taken a shine of things.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #2: Dec 29, 2008 10:57:11 am
      Not good news at all 

>:( >:(
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #3: Dec 29, 2008 10:57:16 am
      I'm shocked!! I wouldn't expect this kind of behaviour from our captain.  >:(

Why? What has he done? Has he been CHARGED?

Someone could have punched him and he could have protected himself. Who knows?

As for it being 2.30am, he has a right to celebrate without a match on the horizon, and it doesn't mean he was drunk.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #4: Dec 29, 2008 10:57:44 am
      This is seriously bad. I can't believe he would do such a thing. He could be looking at 5 or 6 months at least if it's true.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2008 10:58:45 am

As for it being 2.30am, he has a right to celebrate without a match on the horizon, and it doesn't mean he was drunk.

It doesn't read very well does it?

"Gerrard Arrested"
      Bpatel
      • Started Topic

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2008 11:00:11 am

The details are unclear as it was breaking news on the BBC website! All we know so far he's just ben arrested for alleged assault as the article says.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Gerrard Arrested For Alleged Assault!!
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2008 11:02:26 am
      I bet it was some pissed up gobs***e shandy boy who deserved what he got.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Dec 29, 2008 11:05:50 am
      I think I will wait and see how the story unfolds, probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #9: Dec 29, 2008 11:15:38 am
      Stevie may be our captain and a role model ,it dont mean he cant have a life and not enjoy himself none of us know the facts ,so we should just wait and see what comes out,he might have been defending himself from some shithead,do any of us really believe he would just assault someone for no reason ,i dont think so.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Dec 29, 2008 11:17:13 am
      The fact of the matter is you have to have some evidence against someone to arrest them.

I hope this isn't true if it is I think I can wave goodbye to number 19.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2741 
      Reply #11: Dec 29, 2008 11:19:16 am
      The Echo's take...

Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard arrested after disturbance

Dec 29 2008 Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL FC captain Steven Gerrard was one of six men being quizzed by police today after officers were called to a Merseyside bar.

The 28 year-old was arrested in the early hours of this morning following a disturbance at the Lounge Inn, in Bold Street, Southport.

A 34 year-old Southport man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

His injuries are not though to be serious.

Police arrested six people on suspicion of section 20 assault in nearby Lord Street.

As well as Gerrard four men, aged 33, 31, 29 and 19 and all from Huyton, and an 18 year-old from Litherland were arrested.

The Liverpool FC star spent the rest of the night in the cells and was still being quizzed about the allegation this morning.

A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "We are investigating an assault in the early hours of the morning.

"Officers attended a licensed premises where they detained six people on suspicion of Section 20 assault. They are still being questioned."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2008/12/29/liverpool-fc-captain-steven-gerrard-arrested-after-disturbance-100252-22566878/
      sckinny
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | -13 
      Reply #12: Dec 29, 2008 11:21:07 am
      This is bound to rattle the Yanks. No doubt, every journalist in the land will be pestering them for a quote and we all know what chaos follows when either of them starts talking - god help us!

mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 29, 2008 11:29:46 am
      Well nobody knows what happened only the people who were there at the time of the "alleged assult".Stevie G is innocent until proven guilty.
      Stevie is a good role model for the club and probaly one of his mates has stuck up for him,some bitter blue or manc giving him abuse.Also he is not a big drinker so i can`t imagine him being drunk. 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #14: Dec 29, 2008 11:30:14 am
      I think I will wait and see how the story unfolds, probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Beat me to it
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #15: Dec 29, 2008 11:33:43 am
      Well nobody knows what happened only the people who were there at the time of the "alleged assult".Stevie G is innocent until proven guilty.
      Stevie is a good role model for the club and probaly one of his mates has stuck up for him,some bitter blue or manc giving him abuse.Also he is not a big drinker so I can`t imagine him being drunk. 

Well said. Bound to be a bitter involved, particularly with us top.

Innocent until proven guilty, but enough to tar his name once it hits the headlines. Nicely leaked by the police, too.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #16: Dec 29, 2008 11:37:00 am
      calm down!

chances are stevie wont be lining up against preston, so first things first, he is well entitled to go out for a few pints with his mates, who he probably hasn't seen much of over christmas.

as for the bbc, they're a shower of tossers.  'his injuries are not believed to be life threatening', for F**k sake...please!  i twisted my ankle over christmas, it hurts a bit, but it's not life threatening either.

chances are the lads were out for a few pints, somebody was talking when they should've been listening, and a guy has ended up with a black eye and a busted nose.

nothing to get too excited about if you ask me.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2008 11:38:47 am
      This is seriously bad. I can't believe he would do such a thing. He could be looking at 5 or 6 months at least if it's true.

i doubt it mate
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 29, 2008 11:40:21 am
      I wonder what Rafa`s view on this is ?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2008 11:44:28 am
      Come on reds we know that gerrard was defending himself from an attack not attacking someone. if he wasn't drunk he would do nothing to harm his first title. support him in bad and good moments.
      'Steve Gerrard Gerrard...' YNWA our skipper.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #20: Dec 29, 2008 11:44:46 am
      Having worked in Southport, I know what the inbreds up there are like. Full of glory hunting mancs and bitters, so it'll have been a comment from them or something about his missus.

Or he's just living up to the song. Either way he's probably showing he's not a soft touch!
      sckinny
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 120 posts | -13 
      Reply #21: Dec 29, 2008 11:47:29 am
      Correct me if I'm wrong but all these reports say that several men were arrested. So assuming that some of them could have been drinking and needed to sober up, they were held over night... The point is that we don't even know if Gerrard was personally involved. He'd have be held along with the rest until they are able to be questioned - this morning for example. He's not known as a drinker and would be the most identifiable in any group. So, inevitably he'd be singled out, especially if he was the target of anyones anger.

Once it all becomes clear what went down he could have been just a bystander... With his mates looking out for him. We just need to see what happens in the next few hours before we go jumping to any negative conclusions!!!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2008 12:00:19 pm
      Shall remain on the fence here for the moment - we have practically no information to go by! The information right now is that there has been "an alleged assault", not that Gerrard has allegedly commited an assault - there is a world of difference in the two phrases!

More information will probably be released (or leaked!  ::)) throughout the day, and we'll know better where things stand.

My personal opinion for the moment is that I find it highly unlikely that Gerrard was directly (physically) involved unless in self-defence.

Quick Reply