Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool's Hard Pubs.

Read 32125 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Liverpool's Hard Pubs.
      Jan 02, 2009 06:00:15 pm
      I have to ask, are there any hard pubs in Liverpool now.

Back in the 70,s I used to go away to sea for 4 months at a time, one time I was on leave for 2 months, I was down in my dads pub on the dock road, and my dads boss came in, and we where talking and asked me how I was doing, I said I was bored, only been home for 2 weeks. So he asked me If I would like a little job for 4 weeks as a head barman, I said great where do you want me to go, he said the Eagle & Child in Page Moss. I new nothing about the pub, so he said can you start tomorrow, and I said yes, and off went my dads boss, saying goodbye to my dad.

About 10Min's later my dad asked what we where talking about, so I told him about the job for 4 weeks. Well to say my dad went a bit mad, he was jumping up and down saying no son of mine is working in that pub, and he tryed the rest of the day to get hold of his boss, but could not, so I said to my dad I will try it, I have given my word to be there at 10 the next morning.

By this time lots of people had told me lots of stories about the Eagle and Child. So the next morning I left my flat on edge lane to start work in the pub, lets just say I was shiting myself, after all the stories I had been told about it.
      For those who don't know it, it was a big pub in Page Moss, it used to be one big pub, but they found out one manger could not run the pub, so they put a  bricked wall down the middle, so you could not get from one half to the other with out going outside, and it was run by two mangers.

The half I was in, was the lounge, it would sit about 4 to 500, god it was big. After a few days when they got to know me, and a good few dockers went in there who I new from my dads pub, I was OK. But I have to say it was one hard pub, if a fight broke out the police would not come into the pub, they used to wait out side for the ones who where trown out.

I have to say, after the 1st few days I had a great time there, you could buy anything in there. I remember saying to one of them that my mam and dad are thinking about buying a caravan in a few years so they can go on a few holls, f**k me a few days later the man came to me and said come outside and look at this, and there where two caravans there, he said what one would your dad like, I said they where only talking about it, and not for a few years, they have nowhere to put a caravan on the dock road.
      Dam he says, I go back into the pub and 5Min's later there where two fire engines there, he had sent both of them on fire.

I will say it again, I had a great time there and was sorry when my time was up, and I went back for a lot of years just to say hello.

The Eagle & Child nick name was the Bird and the B***ard.

I could tell you lots of stories about this pub, but maybe later.

Do you know of any hard pubs, and do you have any stories to tell.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2009 06:06:40 pm by redkenny »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,128 posts | 2772 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Liverpool,s Hard Pubs.
      Reply #1: Jan 02, 2009 06:13:33 pm
      Had a few pints in a pub called the dart and shamrock on Gildart street once after a game. Some right shady characters in it. Didnt stay long enough to see it in full swing
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Liverpool's Hard Pubs.
      Reply #2: Jan 02, 2009 06:15:22 pm
      My dad grew up right by the Eagle And Child mate, Fincham Close. He's always said that if people knew who you were, you'd be alright. But if you weren't known, then you could cut the atmosphere with a knife if you walked in.

One time he went in there with his mate, Liverpool beat Bristol city 3-1 that day. When he went in the whole place went quiet and it was heaving. There was mesh on the bar. He asked the woman for two pints and when she turned round she had a big shiner! Thankfully some fella came up to him, tapped him on the shoulder and said 'how's your auld fella lad'. After that everyone started talking again....  :lmao:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #3: Jan 02, 2009 06:21:52 pm
      My dad grew up right by the Eagle And Child mate, Fincham Close. He's always said that if people knew who you were, you'd be alright. But if you weren't known, then you could cut the atmosphere with a knife if you walked in.

One time he went in there with his mate, Liverpool beat Bristol city 3-1 that day. When he went in the whole place went quiet and it was heaving. There was mesh on the bar. He asked the woman for two pints and when she turned round she had a big shiner! Thankfully some fella came up to him, tapped him on the shoulder and said 'how's your auld fella lad'. After that everyone started talking again....  :lmao:

Small world. My grandad grew up in Fincham Square.

Never went in the Eagle and Child, and it's not there anymore.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #4: Jan 02, 2009 06:23:21 pm
      Last time I was in Liverpool I ended up in some pub between the cinema and the bus station. No idea what it was called but it seemed dodgy enough.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Jan 02, 2009 06:28:08 pm
      Last time I was in Liverpool I ended up in some pub between the cinema and the bus station. No idea what it was called but it seemed dodgy enough.

In the city centre?

Small world. My grandad grew up in Fincham Square.

Never went in the Eagle and Child, and it's not there anymore.

Small world indeed!!! Did you ever go in the Bluebell down the road from it? That was a rough one - only just been knocked down as well.

The Dog And Gun in Crocky was another one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #6: Jan 02, 2009 06:29:50 pm
      Went in the Bluebell and in the Rose and Crown at the other end of Bluebell Lane.

Somebody got stabbed about an hour after I was in there one night (nowt to do with me folks!)

It's turned in to some kind of eatery now!
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Jan 02, 2009 06:31:35 pm
      The karaoke pub! :D The One And Only!

(hmm, cant remember what its called.. Kenny?? Hihihiii)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2009 06:36:42 pm
      The karaoke pub! :D The One And Only!

(hmm, cant remember what its called.. Kenny?? Hihihiii)

The Liffe!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

That's not really a hard pub though Watt, more along the lines of Irish and very drunk people pub. hehe. MsG and AussieRed have also sampled the delights of the Liffe.

Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2009 06:38:01 pm

Aye, I'm trying to find the exact spot on google earth.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2009 06:38:44 pm
      Aye, I'm trying to find the exact spot on google earth.

Penny Farthing?

That one by the Empire is the only other one I can think of and that's not bad at all.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2009 06:46:02 pm
      The Liffe!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

That's not really a hard pub though Watt.....

It is. Its a die hard tough pub. The toughest of them all. The karaoke puuuub! Yeeeeey!!

(You can cut the tension there as well. Promise. Very hard.)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2009 06:50:59 pm
      The Dog And Gun in Crocky was another one.

Me mum used to work in there Ken, one night there was a big fight broke out and there was a fella lying on the floor with his throat cut !
       :o     Its been knocked down now, maybe a good thing eh ?  ;)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2009 06:55:22 pm
      i hear the lounge in southport can get a bit rough on a sunday night  :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #14: Jan 02, 2009 06:55:23 pm
      It is. Its a die hard tough pub. The toughest of them all. The karaoke puuuub! Yeeeeey!!

(You can cut the tension there as well. Promise. Very hard.)

;)

Me mum used to work in there Ken, one night there was a big fight broke out and there was a fella lying on the floor with his throat cut !
       :o     Its been knocked down now, maybe a good thing eh ?  ;)

Yeah. I think there's probably a good number of the old school hard pubs from back in the day that are either closed or knocked down now. Can't believe your mum worked there Smiggs!

Penny Farthing?

That one by the Empire is the only other one I can think of and that's not bad at all.

I reckon it's probably the Penny Farthing as well.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #15: Jan 02, 2009 07:00:48 pm
      Was down there on London Road I think.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #16: Jan 02, 2009 07:01:16 pm
      ;)

Yeah. I think there's probably a good number of the old school hard pubs from back in the day that are either closed or knocked down now. Can't believe your mum worked there Smiggs!

I reckon it's probably the Penny Farthing as well.

It was probably me mum that started the fight  :lmao:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Jan 02, 2009 07:04:47 pm
      Was down there on London Road I think.

Hmmm. Can't be the Penny if it was on London Rd then. This one's got me!! I'll end up driving down there to have a look if I can't think of where you mean!  :lmao: Was it on the corner by a set of traffic lights?

It was probably me mum that started the fight  :lmao:

:lmao: No chance!! Your mum's lovely Smiggs!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #18: Jan 02, 2009 07:06:43 pm
      That pub might be the Legs of Man on the corner.  Used to be nice upstairs years ago, it was a cocktail bar, me and me mates used to go in and buy a jug of Pimms !!  :D

Don't know what the bar downstairs was like though.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #19: Jan 02, 2009 07:12:11 pm
      Hmmm. Can't be the Penny if it was on London Rd then. This one's got me!! I'll end up driving down there to have a look if I can't think of where you mean!  :lmao: Was it on the corner by a set of traffic lights?

We had just been in the Odeon and the pub was very close, pretty sure it was London Rd because we just nipped out and crossed the road to head down toward the coach station.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Jan 02, 2009 07:18:21 pm
      We had just been in the Odeon and the pub was very close, pretty sure it was London Rd because we just nipped out and crossed the road to head down toward the coach station.

Ahhh, the coach station and not the bus station. I think I know which one you mean now, but I can't remember what it's called. I was thinking you were headed towards the big bus station by Lime St.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #21: Jan 02, 2009 07:20:04 pm
      Ahhh, the coach station and not the bus station. I think I know which one you mean now, but I can't remember what it's called. I was thinking you were headed towards the big bus station by Lime St.

Sorry, coach I meant. It was between the Odeon and Norton Road is it? The Odeon is gone now though. :(
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Jan 02, 2009 07:24:43 pm
      Sorry, coach I meant. It was between the Odeon and Norton Road is it? The Odeon is gone now though. :(

Yeah the National Express is on Norton Road. And the Odeon has moved to Liverpool1 - looks miles bigger and better! Next time you're here you should go.

Quick Reply