Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Dropping sponsor this April?

Read 15042 times
      samdoddsred
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 47 posts |
      Jan 21, 2009 08:15:58 pm
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2009/01/21/afc-liverpool-shirts-honour-the-hillsborough-96-100252-22741095/

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=46247304278&ref=nf

Would be nice to see LFC follow suit and wear a similar message on the shirts for the game nearest the 20th Anniversary, I'm sure Carlsberg could be convinced.

What are peoples opinions on this as a mark of respect and maybe mounting a wider opinion? (maybe start on the main topic board?)
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2009 04:18:41 pm by samdoddsred »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2009 09:20:37 pm
      ^^^ I think that's a wonderful idea.

We play Arsenal at home on the 18th April.

Adidas should bring out a special commemorative 20th Anniversary shirt to mark the occasion and the shirts could be auctioned off afterwards to raise funds for the families of the Hillsborough tragedy.

JFT 96

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Re: Dropping sponsor this April?
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2009 09:23:39 pm
      Let's face it - there is plenty of ideas the club could do.  I'm sure that shirt ^ would outsell the current third kit as well.

The FA might shout at us again though.  :mad:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2009 09:32:29 pm
      Let's face it - there is plenty of ideas the club could do.  I'm sure that shirt ^ would outsell the current third kit as well.

The FA might shout at us again though.  :mad:
      The FA owe us Big time. I remember them saying we could take as much time we needed after Hillsborough, to complete the season. In the end I think we had to play 7 games in 21 days.
      I think this is a great idea, Scum played in a retro Shirt for the Munich anniversary last year. So we should have no problem. May be a shirt with all the names of the 96 embroiled into a weave.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2009 09:38:51 pm
      Moved it before me JD.

Good point samdoddsred. I think this notion should be spread all over the place. And I'm sure Carlsberg could be convinced too - I would be only too happy to spread the good word of Carlsberg's understanding and compassion.

As JD mentions though, the FA will certainly have something to say about it. But I can't see why they would have any problem with the same thing that AFC Liverpool already display on their shirts, just for one game.

It would be a show of remembrance.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2009 09:42:19 pm
      The FA owe us Big time. I remember them saying we could take as much time we needed after Hillsborough, to complete the season. In the end I think we had to play 7 games in 21 days.
      I think this is a great idea, Scum played in a retro Shirt for the Munich anniversary last year. So we should have no problem. May be a shirt with all the names of the 96 embroiled into a weave.

Sounds like a great idea, I think Tranmere had a shirt like that a couple of seasons ago, they had all their season ticket holders names embroidered into the shirt.  It looked brillliant.

I think that would be a very fitting tribute to those that lost their lives and a lovely keepsake for the families.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 2799 
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2009 09:55:11 pm
      It's a great idea but the FA will go mad again.

I think if they can replicate the home shirt Liverpool were wearing in '89 it would be good. The names of the 96 is a fantastic idea, but I can't see it happening with the FA being so tight these days.
      OBY
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2009 09:56:58 pm
      I think its a great idea to be honest. And yeah, United got to wear one so should we. only problem we could have with the FA is that they love United and not us, no doubt that they'll throw roadblocks wherever they can.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2009 10:16:15 pm
      It's a great idea but the FA will go mad again.

I think if they can replicate the home shirt Liverpool were wearing in '89 it would be good. The names of the 96 is a fantastic idea, but I can't see it happening with the FA being so tight these days.
      I think its a great idea to be honest. And yeah, United got to wear one so should we. only problem we could have with the FA is that they love United and not us, no doubt that they'll throw roadblocks wherever they can.

The way I see it though, the FA can only throw their toys out of the pram if we intend to use a game to campaign for something. That's why they were not happy about the Michael Shields shirts our players had on warming up for a game. But because it wasn't actually 'in game', there wasn't much they could do about it.

In this instance, we would be remembering. Not campaigning. So there's not much they can really have a problem with.

This is all about the club and Carlsberg for me.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3349 
      Reply #9: Jan 21, 2009 10:31:44 pm
      I can see some sort of shirt being made for the 20th anniversary but as a merchandise shirt only.

I don't the current board of the club will be prepared to fork out money on making new shirts that they're not getting any money back on and the FA will make any excuse to hush away the incident as they know they were at fault as anyone for the disaster of 89 taking place at all.

I think it'll be a sh*t fans can buy for arguements sake of around £30, with £20 per shirt going to the club and the other tenner going some way to helping the families.
      samdoddsred
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 47 posts |
      Reply #10: Jan 22, 2009 12:37:01 am
      Moved it before me JD.

Good point samdoddsred. I think this notion should be spread all over the place. And I'm sure Carlsberg could be convinced too - I would be only too happy to spread the good word of Carlsberg's understanding and compassion.

As JD mentions though, the FA will certainly have something to say about it. But I can't see why they would have any problem with the same thing that AFC Liverpool already display on their shirts, just for one game.

It would be a show of remembrance.

Nice one for moving it over JD/Redkenny

samdoddsred
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 47 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 22, 2009 01:47:59 am
      http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=46247304278

Facebook group page to show your support. Also put a link to this page if thats ok JD/Redkenny?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #12: Jan 22, 2009 02:35:01 am
      That would be a great idea but I am not sure how the FA will react to this, as mentioned the Mancs wore a retro to mark the Munich disaster only fair of them to do us a similar favour.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #13: Jan 22, 2009 08:40:08 am
      Yea but, the Mancs get away with everything when it comes to the FA.

Seeing how this is the worst disaster involving fans the world has seen, it would be shambolic if it wasnt allowed by these overpaid, fat pricks in suits.
      embkauka
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 22, 2009 09:33:29 am
      By the way for how long will CARLSBERG be our sponsor?
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #15: Jan 22, 2009 11:26:22 am
      Yea but, the Mancs get away with everything when it comes to the FA.

Seeing how this is the worst disaster involving fans the world has seen, it would be shambolic if it wasnt allowed by these overpaid, fat pricks in suits.

*Cough* David Gill *cough*!!!!

I think the fact that it is the 20th anniversary we need to take the extra step. Arsenal at home on the 18th, it is just the perfect game!

If we are not able to wear a special commemorative shirt then I agree we should wear the home kit from 89. The FA would have no reason to argue, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to back it up. They let the mancs do it last season so there is no logical reason saying that we can't do it.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #16: Jan 22, 2009 01:24:57 pm
      ^^^ I think that's a wonderful idea.

We play Arsenal at home on the 18th April.

Adidas should bring out a special commemorative 20th Anniversary shirt to mark the occasion and the shirts could be auctioned off afterwards to raise funds for the families of the Hillsborough tragedy.

JFT 96

YNWA

Exellent idea.
      samdoddsred
      • Forum Jari Litmanen
      • Started Topic

• 47 posts |
      Reply #17: Jan 22, 2009 04:17:54 pm
      762 members in the last 15 hours who have joined is beyond what I thought we would acheive in such a short space of time.
      Anyone that can join who is a member on facebook please do so and ask every red you know worldwide to do likewise. Together we can all make this tribute happen.

YNWA
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Jan 22, 2009 04:38:19 pm
      762 members in the last 15 hours who have joined is beyond what I thought we would acheive in such a short space of time.
      Anyone that can join who is a member on facebook please do so and ask every red you know worldwide to do likewise. Together we can all make this tribute happen.

YNWA

Well in mate! That's boss that. I'm sure the numbers will keep growing as well.

I've emailed SOS - as I'm sure a few other people probably have as well.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #19: Jan 22, 2009 05:22:04 pm
      I just joined.

946 members so far Whooooooooooooooo!
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #20: Jan 22, 2009 05:23:55 pm
      The FA would have absolutely no reasonable  grounds to refuse, if the shirt was a commomorative one like AFC's. We werent allowed to have JUSTICE on the shirt as it was deemed a political message by the vodkat league.

Its not a commercial issue either, a one off shirt, with a message printed on it to commeemorate the anniversary. The cost of doing it for Adidas and LFC would be allmost nothing.  The team kits produced for that day could then be signed by the players and Auctioned  to raise funds for the 3 Hillsborough groups.

Carlsberg are not an unreasonable company, as they showed by binning off that Co-promotion they had planned with the S*n; when overwhelming fan opinion was that it should never go ahead, they binned it ASAP. Must have fu**ed the S*n off big style. So its possible they might waive having their name on the Shirt for one match.

I think this is more than doable, get the Union involved, they would speak to LFC, Carlsberg, and the Hillsborough groups.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #21: Jan 22, 2009 05:30:02 pm
      Top idea, wearing the 89 shirts is the most likely

But then, what happens with the Candy issue?

Ive got my dads Adidas Jacket from 89, with Candy on the back so i'll be wearing that either way.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #22: Jan 22, 2009 05:42:44 pm
      The FA would have absolutely no reasonable  grounds to refuse, if the shirt was a commomorative one like AFC's. We werent allowed to have JUSTICE on the shirt as it was deemed a political message by the vodkat league.

Its not a commercial issue either, a one off shirt, with a message printed on it to commeemorate the anniversary. The cost of doing it for Adidas and LFC would be allmost nothing.  The team kits produced for that day could then be signed by the players and Auctioned  to raise funds for the 3 Hillsborough groups.

Carlsberg are not an unreasonable company, as they showed by binning off that Co-promotion they had planned with the S*n; when overwhelming fan opinion was that it should never go ahead, they binned it ASAP. Must have fu**ed the S*n off big style. So its possible they might waive having their name on the Shirt for one match.

I think this is more than doable, get the Union involved, they would speak to LFC, Carlsberg, and the Hillsborough groups.

Exactly Jonesy mate. Totally agree.

Quick Reply