Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (8.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      4 (7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      28 (49.1%)
      Curtis Jones
      6 (10.5%)
      Diogo Jota
      2 (3.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      8 (14%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      2 (3.5%)
      Harvey Elliott
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2024 06:27:56 pm

Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 10641 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Re: Arsenal 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Feb 05, 2024 01:01:25 pm
      Who are people putting the blame on for the 2nd? I'm seeing half for Ali and half for Virgil.....both good points to argue why the other was at fault.

For me Ali needs to stay put and give Virgil a shout, despite the bounce he's well ahead of Martinelli and in control of the situation......a situation made into a calamity by Ali's decision making.

Well since Virgil has come out and taken responsibility for it, I'd put it on him. Also at fault for the first goal and didn't cover himself in glory for the third either.

It happens...he had a sh*t day. He's got credit in the bank to have a blunder now and again.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #691: Feb 05, 2024 01:28:55 pm
      It was clear Arsenal knew they needed this result (think they celebrations showed that) and were up for it but we didn't match their intensity, particularly in the first half. Weird because I felt between from the start of the second half until their 2nd goal the game was there for the taking (didn't think Arsenal controlled nearly as much during that period of the game as they did the first half).

A lot of poor showings individually and really only positive I would take is the return of Thiago.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #692: Feb 05, 2024 02:07:30 pm
      Still top, still clear, still in our hands. So despite another defeat in North London, not a great deal has changed. Do our job in the remaining games as we still end the season as champions.

The game itself was a F***ing mess from start to finish. We just never got going. Somehow we went into the break level and then started the second looking better but quickly found ourselves back on the back front. I also don't know if we had a single throw in during the entire game where we threw it forward, everything seemed to go backwards to the centre halves then to Ali.

One of the biggest worries was we didn't seem to be able to deal with the Arsenal press. It was very much a performance of last season rather than this. And coming off the back of our best performances of the season against Chelsea was a real shot of the blue.

While a number of individual errors cost us the goals, the collective performance was nowhere near good enough. And for once this season, the subs made by Jürgen made no difference whatsoever.

Alisson - not for the first time this season, he's made costly errors in big games. Was caught in no-mans land when Arsenal came to Anfield for their goal and was poor against City. Yesterday made a mess of the second and third goals.

Alexander-Arnold - the only way I knew he was on the pitch was because of the space Martinelli was in every time he got the ball and I knew we weren't down to ten men (yet). Absolutely shocking non-performance.

Konate - got absolutely done for pace by Martinelli, not helped by Trent doing his Claude Rains impression. Red card might have been harsh but it was two yellows. Don't think we can complain too much on that.

Van Dijk - had a few shaky moments against Chelsea and went even further backwards yesterday. First goal seems to be glossed over because of the sh*t for the second. But first goal was just as poor defending. Didn't get close to Odergaard and was in no-mans land as they broke free, leaving a huge space in behind. Second he should have dealt with the ball. Third didn't exactly get a decent block in either. He's been top drawer for most of the season, especially since the Newcastle red card, but yesterday was not his finest hour and a half.

Goalmez - probably our best defender on the night. Was surprised to see him being the full back who was moving into midfield and not Trent but that's by the by. Dealt with Saka reasonably well, once again. Was just unfortunately shackled with a number of others who had very bad off days.

Gravenberch - it's still very early in his Liverpool career and as someone who thought earlier in the season he'd been the best buy of the lot it pains to me say but time is already starting to run out for the lad. I don't know if he's guilty of trying too hard to impress because he's not an automatic starter or the lack of a run of games is hindering him but he's not doing anything to make himself noticed for the right reasons.

Mac Allister - other than his shooting, he was head and shoulders our best player. He was the one Liverpool player who did show some composure on the ball. Was willing to take it and try to get us up the pitch. His turnaround from the opening few weeks/months has been incredible.

Jones - his usual dallying performance first half, second was a lot better for the opening few minutes. Gradually became less effective on the second 45 though but so did the entire team. He certainly wasn't alone in that regard.

Gakpo - he certainly is falling into the trap of trying too hard. One particular instance where he was carrying the ball down the right towards the corner flag, had plenty of times to lay the ball off but didn't. Just kept trying to do everything on his todd and in the end didn't even win the corner out of it.

Jota - one of his quiestest games for a very long time. Was dropping deeper and deeper to get involved in the game, when the danger was actually in behind the Arsenal back four. Would have had another goal to his name had Gabrielle not punched the ball in for us.

Diaz - persistence for the goal but that really was about it from Lucho. I said after the Chelsea game that his influence on games is becoming a lot more regular than just five or ten minutes here and there as was the case for the first 18 months of his Liverpool career but not yesterday. But I think that comes down to how much we were on the back foot and our inability to get the ball forward quickly.

Robertson - came on, didn't do much.

Elliott - his hard work is vital in some games, his lack of ability is a hinderance in games like this. He helped Diaz out on one occassion when Lucho was at right back and just running backwards with the ball rather than laying it off to a team mate, Harvey was the one who actually dispossessed Diaz and swung it over to Robbo.

Nunez - didn't really threaten in behind, maybe wasn't fit with the foot injury. Had one good chance that he wildly thrashed over the bar/wide of the post and then laughed at Gabriel's reaction.

Thiago - that's all we F***ing needed, flash harry trying to be flash.

Overall the lack of energy and desire was worse for me than the result. Arsenal away is always a tricky fixture and we can also lose down there but at the very least we need to fight - we didn't.

Hopefully though this is just a hiccup. First half of the season we lost one game in North London, fingers crossed that our only defeat in the second half is in North London as well.

Brush it off, tw*t Burnley on Saturday and get back on track.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #693: Feb 05, 2024 03:55:11 pm
      What pisses me off is Arsenal aren’t that good and we made them look like the invincibles, and as for the carry on from Arteta if Jürgen did half of what he did he would have been sent off
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #694: Feb 05, 2024 04:06:06 pm
      I’m gutted (especially since I live in London and surrounded by Arsenal fans).

However, maybe a nice wake up call and we can learn from it - move on and start another great run.

Cockneys are all the same so you should be use to it.  :lmao:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,973 posts | 666 
      Reply #695: Feb 05, 2024 04:12:59 pm
      Still top, still clear, still in our hands. So despite another defeat in North London, not a great deal has changed. Do our job in the remaining games as we still end the season as champions.

The game itself was a F***ing mess from start to finish. We just never got going. Somehow we went into the break level and then started the second looking better but quickly found ourselves back on the back front. I also don't know if we had a single throw in during the entire game where we threw it forward, everything seemed to go backwards to the centre halves then to Ali.

One of the biggest worries was we didn't seem to be able to deal with the Arsenal press. It was very much a performance of last season rather than this. And coming off the back of our best performances of the season against Chelsea was a real shot of the blue.

While a number of individual errors cost us the goals, the collective performance was nowhere near good enough. And for once this season, the subs made by Jürgen made no difference whatsoever.

Alisson - not for the first time this season, he's made costly errors in big games. Was caught in no-mans land when Arsenal came to Anfield for their goal and was poor against City. Yesterday made a mess of the second and third goals.

Alexander-Arnold - the only way I knew he was on the pitch was because of the space Martinelli was in every time he got the ball and I knew we weren't down to ten men (yet). Absolutely shocking non-performance.

Konate - got absolutely done for pace by Martinelli, not helped by Trent doing his Claude Rains impression. Red card might have been harsh but it was two yellows. Don't think we can complain too much on that.

Van Dijk - had a few shaky moments against Chelsea and went even further backwards yesterday. First goal seems to be glossed over because of the sh*t for the second. But first goal was just as poor defending. Didn't get close to Odergaard and was in no-mans land as they broke free, leaving a huge space in behind. Second he should have dealt with the ball. Third didn't exactly get a decent block in either. He's been top drawer for most of the season, especially since the Newcastle red card, but yesterday was not his finest hour and a half.

Goalmez - probably our best defender on the night. Was surprised to see him being the full back who was moving into midfield and not Trent but that's by the by. Dealt with Saka reasonably well, once again. Was just unfortunately shackled with a number of others who had very bad off days.

Gravenberch - it's still very early in his Liverpool career and as someone who thought earlier in the season he'd been the best buy of the lot it pains to me say but time is already starting to run out for the lad. I don't know if he's guilty of trying too hard to impress because he's not an automatic starter or the lack of a run of games is hindering him but he's not doing anything to make himself noticed for the right reasons.

Mac Allister - other than his shooting, he was head and shoulders our best player. He was the one Liverpool player who did show some composure on the ball. Was willing to take it and try to get us up the pitch. His turnaround from the opening few weeks/months has been incredible.

Jones - his usual dallying performance first half, second was a lot better for the opening few minutes. Gradually became less effective on the second 45 though but so did the entire team. He certainly wasn't alone in that regard.

Gakpo - he certainly is falling into the trap of trying too hard. One particular instance where he was carrying the ball down the right towards the corner flag, had plenty of times to lay the ball off but didn't. Just kept trying to do everything on his todd and in the end didn't even win the corner out of it.

Jota - one of his quiestest games for a very long time. Was dropping deeper and deeper to get involved in the game, when the danger was actually in behind the Arsenal back four. Would have had another goal to his name had Gabrielle not punched the ball in for us.

Diaz - persistence for the goal but that really was about it from Lucho. I said after the Chelsea game that his influence on games is becoming a lot more regular than just five or ten minutes here and there as was the case for the first 18 months of his Liverpool career but not yesterday. But I think that comes down to how much we were on the back foot and our inability to get the ball forward quickly.

Elliott - his hard work is vital in some games, his lack of ability is a hinderance in games like this. He helped Diaz out on one occassion when Lucho was at right back and just running backwards with the ball rather than laying it off to a team mate, Harvey was the one who actually dispossessed Diaz and swung it over to Robbo.

Nunez - didn't really threaten in behind, maybe wasn't fit with the foot injury. Had one good chance that he wildly thrashed over the bar/wide of the post and then laughed at Gabriel's reaction.

Overall the lack of energy and desire was worse for me than the result. Arsenal away is always a tricky fixture and we can also lose down there but at the very least we need to fight - we didn't.

Hopefully though this is just a hiccup. First half of the season we lost one game in North London, fingers crossed that our only defeat in the second half is in North London as well.

As you rightly say...There's no shame in losing a game of football...but not trying isn't, and never has been acceptable. As Bill Shankly famously said: "It's a privilege to play for these supporters"....I'd say, less forgivingly  "Giving a F*ck isn't an option"
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #696: Feb 05, 2024 04:42:12 pm
      Pity there is no midweek game, meaning there will be too much time to dwell on, one of the team's poorest perfomances for a long time.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #697: Feb 05, 2024 05:19:37 pm
      Well time to reflect

We have played 8 games in the same period that Arsenal played 3

We have missed a lot of players in that period and last night missed three more from the starting line up

We were tired , lethargic and struggled to get any fluidity going

After half time we managed to get into the game a bit more and being honest without the mistakes from VVD I don’t think they would have got a winner

But it happened , it’s a poor performance but it’s still in our hands and we have a decent run of games coming up to recover

The mentality of the manager and the team will get them focused
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #698: Feb 05, 2024 08:05:20 pm
      Pity there is no midweek game, meaning there will be too much time to dwell on, one of the team's poorest perfomances for a long time.

Never mind when the next game is they should be chomping at the bit to make amends for that shower of sh*t they served up yesterday
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #699: Feb 05, 2024 08:17:36 pm
      Put in a good few crap first half's and that was as bad as any. Got a lucky goal. Showed a bit more second half but it was short lived. Not as if they're a poor team but their not world beaters either.

Be honest with ourselves, they could of battered us in the first half of the cup game, but for poor finishing.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #700: Feb 05, 2024 09:22:15 pm
      Lacking energy and urgency. I mean who can play in those feckin' shirts anyway . Look like friggin..I dunno...dinosaur pyjama's. Ludicrous.

Anyway only 4 games in February, League cup final.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #701: Feb 05, 2024 09:40:53 pm

As usual spot on mate, especially with everything you wrote about our back 5 and actually TBH the rest as well.

Even remember that Gakpo moment, yelling at him to pass the F***ing ball!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #702: Feb 05, 2024 09:59:49 pm
      Even remember that Gakpo moment, yelling at him to pass the F***ing ball!

You and me both mate.

This was his first Premier League start since Boxing Day, which considering the amount we rotate and Mo hasn't been available for most of January is pretty poor for Cody. And probably only started yesterday because of Darwin's injury.

He has started three of the four cup games in that time though, so maybe it is sinking into him that Jürgen doesn't see him as good enough to start in the League. And because of that he feels extra pressure to impress when given the chance. But the way to do that is make the team better, not do everything on your own.

Mad how quickly football changes because at the backend of last season, Gakpo was almost nailed on to start every game because he'd almost become the new Bobby in that false 9 position. Now he's the least likely to get a game when everyone is fit.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #703: Feb 06, 2024 02:39:12 pm

Spot on. The only thing I'd add is something about Jürgen's performance. While we're not world class managers sitting behind our keyboards, I think it doesn't take one to realize that JK went into this one with a completely wrong reading of that Arsenal team and bad preparation. Of course, it doesn't help that they beat us in intensity for everything you can do on a football pitch, the most obvious one having been the press, but we still looked completely clueless as to what to do with and without the ball and half time did not help.

Completely uncharacteristic from Jürgen as he is one of the best managers in the world over a 2 games period. Usually, you can surprise him the first time your teams meet, but in the return leg, he'll be the one surprising you. Sunday wasn't anything like that as it seems its Arteta that managed to do a number on him instead.

With all that said, this is only the second game we lose this season and, to be honest, if you look back at the injustice that went on during that Spurs game you could say this is the first game we lost this season. It just happens to be our luck that we're constantly fighting against a City side that requires you to lose only 2 or 3 games or draw one too much and next thing you know you lost the league by one point despite collecting more than 90 of those. Anyway, back to my point, there's no sense in dwelling too much over that game, lets look forward and start another long winning run to end the season as strong as we can.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #704: Feb 06, 2024 07:04:55 pm
      Sound post that, mate. As usual.
      I don’t think we’ll see a performance like that again under Jürgen.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 188 
      Reply #705: Feb 07, 2024 09:12:15 am
      Perspective

We were missing

Szob,
      Salah
      Endo
      Fit Robertson
      Fit Nunez

Take out 4-5 key players form Arsenal

Ode, saka, and couple more. We would have won but it’s amazing we competed with such an elite team

Team looked gassed and we were carrying that disgrace Trent who should be sent to the reserves for his lack of worth ethic in refusing to sprint when standing on the half way line and just jogging back to cover his own position

Get salah back and we can see what happens
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #706: Feb 07, 2024 10:40:31 am
      May be Trent has to shake off the hollywood stardust and get his head down and do the hard yards. Back to basics.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #707: Feb 07, 2024 11:39:24 am
      Perspective

We were missing

Szob,
      Salah
      Endo
      Fit Robertson
      Fit Nunez

Take out 4-5 key players form Arsenal

Ode, saka, and couple more. We would have won but it’s amazing we competed with such an elite team

Team looked gassed and we were carrying that disgrace Trent who should be sent to the reserves for his lack of worth ethic in refusing to sprint when standing on the half way line and just jogging back to cover his own position

Get salah back and we can see what happens

and Bradley.
      His dynamism as RWB returned a dimension to the game lost without him.
      His sub the last game v Arsenal when he came on against Martinelli turned the game in Liverpool's favour.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #708: Feb 07, 2024 06:02:41 pm
      and Bradley.
      His dynamism as RWB returned a dimension to the game lost without him.
      His sub the last game v Arsenal when he came on against Martinelli turned the game in Liverpool's favour.

And basic mistakes! If those fundamental errors weren’t committed, the score would have been toe to toe and we might not have lost.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #709: Feb 08, 2024 10:25:49 am
      And basic mistakes! If those fundamental errors weren’t committed, the score would have been toe to toe and we might not have lost.

Two key errors from players we would normally bet the house on to clean up.
      sh*t happens. We move on.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #710: Feb 08, 2024 02:51:03 pm
      Bets in for Thiago to be injured by the next game.

Time to collect your winnings

Quick Reply