Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Portsmouth vs Liverpool - Pre-match

Read 16713 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Portsmouth vs Liverpool - Pre-match
      Feb 05, 2009 03:21:03 pm

Live on Setanta Sports 1

Okay, we're out of the FA Cup but there's no point talking about 'what ifs' as it's all over. Yes, I hate losing to Everton but at least we're still in the race for the title and in the Champions League. Remember 2006/2007? We were thrashed by Arsenal in both the League and FA Cups but we went on to reach the Champions League Final. This season, may still end in glory for us.

With Steven Gerrard out, I guess we've got to go 4-4-2. And I have a feeling, we'll depend on Fernando Torres who looks to have come back in form last week with a brace. We've got 3 pretty tough games against Portsmouth, Man City and Real Madrid - all without Steven Gerrard.

There's no excuse, we can't afford to drop points anymore. The lads must do their best to win all these games.

------------------------------------------Reina----------------------------------------------

Arbeloa-------------Carragher-------------------Hyypia/Skrtel--------------Aurelio

Benayoun--------------Mascherano-----------------Alonso--------------------Riera

--------------------------Kuyt---------------------Torres----------------------------------

That looks like the best one at the moment. I feel Hyypia should get a game as we're gonna come up against Peter Crouch.
      Not sure about Kuyt at the moment but probably him ahead of Ryan Babel. Benayoun should start after his impressive performances the past few weeks.

Come on Xabi, Benayoun, Riera, put some good supplies in and win the game.
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 03:24:09 pm by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Portsmouth vs Liverpool - Pre-match
      Reply #1: Feb 05, 2009 03:32:53 pm
      Yes! Onwards and upwards. I'm happy to move on and think about more important games.

And I'd be happy to go along with your selection Ad.

I think with Gerrard out, changing to 4-4-2 and having Kuyt up with Torres will be good to try. Torres will have to play yet with all the running about he done on his own last night, it might be beneficial to have someone to share the graft up front.

We could also give Babel a go up with Torres, drop Riera or Benayoun to the bench and have Kuyt on the right.

Somehow, I think it will be Kuyt behind Torres in that Gerrard position though.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Feb 05, 2009 03:36:39 pm
      Is Xabi suspended for this game after his fifth booking against Chelsea?  And I'm guessing Lucas will be suspended too so who will partner Masch?

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I've a feeling this could be another 0-0.  Hope I'm wrong though.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3: Feb 05, 2009 03:39:37 pm
      Rafa will stick with 4-2-3-1 for this Im sure.

& he will use the squad, esp. after 120 mins last night.

- Arbeloa - Carra - Squirtle - Aurellio -
      ----------- Masch - Xabi --------------------
      -El zar ----- Yossi -------------- Babel -
      --------------- Torres -----------------------

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #4: Feb 05, 2009 03:39:54 pm
      Don't you think Benayoun has been playing pretty well, redkenny?
      I think he deserves a start.

Fernando can come up with a goal out of nothing but good supplies would really be helpful too!

- Arbeloa - Carra - Squirtle - Aurellio -
      ----------- Masch - Xabi --------------------
      -El zar ----- Yossi -------------- Babel -
      --------------- Torres -----------------------

Will Squirtle use his water gun against Peter Crouch? :D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Feb 05, 2009 03:40:59 pm
      Are xabi & lucas both suspended ?
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #6: Feb 05, 2009 03:47:01 pm
      5 yellows.

Portsmouth are the whipping boys at the moment, just hope we can add to their misery!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #7: Feb 05, 2009 03:49:43 pm
      Liverpool has to take advantage of Portsmouth's poor run of form and Man City's poor away form.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Feb 05, 2009 03:55:17 pm
      I forgot about Alonso, but I was under the impression his suspension starts after the Pompey game?

Edit:

Just had a look, Lucas is out.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #9: Feb 05, 2009 03:59:07 pm
      Is Xabi suspended for this game after his fifth booking against Chelsea?  And I'm guessing Lucas will be suspended too so who will partner Masch?

Sorry to sound pessimistic but I've a feeling this could be another 0-0.  Hope I'm wrong though.

Thought Alonso misses Man City?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Feb 05, 2009 04:01:18 pm

That's what I thought as well as his suspension was supposed to start from the 8th Feb.

From the FA: Suspended from all football until the Club have completed 1 first team match for 5/10/15 cautions - start date 8th Feb
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #11: Feb 05, 2009 04:53:04 pm

------------------------------------------Reina----------------------------------------------

Arbeloa-------------Carragher-------------------Hyypia/Skrtel--------------Aurelio

Benayoun--------------Mascherano-----------------Alonso--------------------Riera

--------------------------Kuyt---------------------Torres----------------------------------

Think I would go with exactly the same team mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Feb 05, 2009 04:58:17 pm
      Was hopefully going to this game too but the woman who was going to give me the tickets has changed her mind :f_steam:

Hopefully they will put the FA Cup defeat behind them and carry on in the league with the momentum and drive we had picked up from doing Chelsea over.

3-0, Torres 2, Babel 1
      waclander
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #13: Feb 05, 2009 05:16:40 pm
      I'd go with the Torres/ Babel upfront very pacy and maybe sit back and counter for a change at least until were two nil up, some of our bets goals last year and this have been quick breaks we struggle against dug in opposition and I'd have Yossi in ahead of Kuyt been showing some good form lately.

When Is Insua back?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #14: Feb 05, 2009 05:31:21 pm
      i would go with babel behind torres just for pace and also give torres space to get behind defenders.

arebola----------carra----------skrtel----------aurelio

kuyt---------masc----------alonso----------riera

-----------------babel--------------------

------------------------torres----------------------------
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #15: Feb 05, 2009 05:32:22 pm
      Trying to rack my brain back to the Man United game when we didn't have Gerrard and Torres.

Keane was up front for that - so insert Torres there.

But I can't remember if Kuyt played up front, or if he played on the right and Benayoun played in Gerrard's position?

Anyone remember if it was 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 that day?
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #16: Feb 05, 2009 05:41:02 pm
                         Reina

Arbeloa Carragher  Agger  Aurelio

Benayoun Masch Alonso   Babel

Kuyt     Torres

Riera needs dropping for a couple of games. As a few people have pointed out he's gone way downhill recently. If we've got a decent lead by 65-70 minute then bring Torres off for Riera and stick Babel up top. I chose Agger over Skrtel as we're bound to be the more attacking team, and Agger is good at bringing the ball into the midfield. Which will hopefully push Alonso a five or ten yards further forward from time to time. As soon as Alonso entered Everton's third of the pitch in the second half yesterday he played a killer ball into Riera which he really should've done better with.

I'm quite worried about the City game. If Gerrard isn't fit and Alonso is suspended, we'll be looking pretty darn thin in the centre of midfield. Especially in an attacking midfield sense.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #17: Feb 05, 2009 06:21:09 pm
      I dont like Benayoun on the right he comes in and narrows things too much Id like to see him up with Torres.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Feb 05, 2009 06:21:14 pm
      Don't forget Babel would be playing against Glen Johnson and I think his pace would cancel Babel out. Riera might offer us something different, although we could bring him on if things weren't working I guess.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #19: Feb 05, 2009 07:03:24 pm
      Having to cope with injurys and suspentions I'm sure that Portsmouth will now expect to win and therein lies their downfall, I hope that Rafa starts with Babel along side Torres only because he has a better first touch than kuyt and kuyts distribution is not good in tight places like inside the 18yrd box, so I would like to see him in midfield because of his energy along with Xabi and Mascha. Wide right, Beny. Wide left, Reira. The defence takes care of itself with Aurelio Skrtel Carra Abeloa.

The only controversial place is kuyt in the middle but with his energy levels and our squad down to the bare bones he is well worth a try in that part of the field and who knows it may suit him......
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Feb 05, 2009 07:31:25 pm
      I've a bad feeling about this match, think we might draw it 0-0, Portsmouth aren't as bad as there results say lately, watched them against Villa a couple of weeks ago at home and thought they were the better team, would take a one nil now.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #21: Feb 05, 2009 07:44:04 pm

Think everyone would to be honest mate.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #22: Feb 05, 2009 08:44:32 pm