Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Legendary Reds

Read 26247 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: The reminisce about old players thread
      Reply #115: Sep 19, 2012 10:25:58 pm
      Ray Kennedy was one of my favourite players when I was a young lad.

It's very sad that he has had Parkinson's Disease since he retired from playing.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Legendary Reds
      Reply #116: Sep 20, 2012 05:21:29 am
      Merged.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #117: Sep 22, 2012 08:04:06 pm
      Terry mac, think the goal I'm thinking about was the fifth one in a 5-0 win over spurs. Lots of first time passing and the cross from heighway onto macs head was just truly magic. Think this would be my favourite goal ever.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #118: Sep 22, 2012 08:17:38 pm
      Terry mac, think the goal I'm thinking about was the fifth one in a 5-0 win over spurs. Lots of first time passing and the cross from heighway onto macs head was just truly magic. Think this would be my favourite goal ever.

Is this the goal you are thinking of?

Terry McDermott - Liverpool - Tottenham 7-0

If it is, Bob Paisley described it as the best goal he had seen in his time at the club. Terry Mac starts the move in his own penalty area then runs the length of the pitch to finish it off at the other end.

Great goal.  :gt-happyup:
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #119: Sep 23, 2012 09:47:31 pm
      Yes that's the goal I was thinking about, what a team we had then, most of that team would be in a greatest Liverpool select.
      Thanks for posting it HTH.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #120: Sep 24, 2012 12:03:09 am
      Heighway was some player , his crosses were sublime.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #121: Sep 24, 2012 03:29:15 am
      Terry McDermott - Liverpool - Tottenham 7-0

Now ok, we're not talking quite the same level (I played in the Uttoxeter & District Sunday League Second Division) but I scored one just like that!
      I was playing at LB and our keeper had taken a knock so left me to take the goal kick. My mate Rob was playing at RB and was making his way up to the half way line. I hit a diagonal to him and immediately started running up the pitch. He got held up for a few seconds by players challenging him then crossed to the far post just as I was coming in to rise like a salmon and nod the ball home  8)
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #122: Sep 25, 2012 04:39:03 pm
      Now ok, we're not talking quite the same level (I played in the Uttoxeter & District Sunday League Second Division) but I scored one just like that!
      I was playing at LB and our keeper had taken a knock so left me to take the goal kick. My mate Rob was playing at RB and was making his way up to the half way line. I hit a diagonal to him and immediately started running up the pitch. He got held up for a few seconds by players challenging him then crossed to the far post just as I was coming in to rise like a salmon and nod the ball home  8)

Nice. They all count.  ;)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #123: Sep 26, 2012 09:18:46 am
      Heighway was some player , his crosses were sublime.
      It should also be remembered he was able to play in any of the 5 forward positions in the days when we had a centre forward,2 inside forwards and 2 wingers.Yes the man was that good and versatile.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #124: Aug 20, 2015 07:58:14 pm
      Tommy Lucas

D.o.B - 20/9/1895
      Position - Defender
      1st team games (goals) - 366 (3)

Born in St Helens towards the back end of the 19th Century, Tommy Lucas went on to enjoy over a decade in the Liverpool side between the years of 1919 and 1932. He'd amass a total of 366 games during that time, a total only bettered at the time by his team-mates Elisha Scott, Donald MacKinlay Tom Bromilow, Ephraim Longworth and former Reds ace Arthur Goddard.

Signed by Tom Watson during the middle of World War I, Lucas would have to wait around three years to make his proper Liverpool debut though did play in several war-games. His debut finally arrived just a week before his 24th birthday in a two one victory in the first season back after the Great War. A last minute winner from club captain, Donald Mackinlay, ensured Lucas' Liverpool career began with a victory. It also ensured Aston Villa remained rooted to the foot of the table.

His second appearance came a week later on his birthday, again against Villa and the outcome was the same - Liverpool win. That would be the last time Lucas tasted victory though until the turn of the year when we defeated Sheffield United two nil at Anfield. During that time we also changed manager from George Patterson to David Ashworth.

Lucas continued his progress the following year with a further thirty-two appearances and again hit the thirty mark the year after in 21-22 as Liverpool won the League for the first time since 1906. During the title winning year Tommy scored his first and second goals for Liverpool within a month of each other. His first came at Anfield in a comfortable four nil victory over Preston while his second also came in a four nil victory at Anfield, this time though against Middlesbrough as Liverpool topped the table.

As we looked to retain the League Title however, Lucas was persistently overlooked and played in just a single game that year under new manager and former Liverpool great in his own right, Matt McQueen. And in McQueen's first full year in charge (23-24) Lucas was firmly re-established in the side making 33 appearances at the heart of Liverpool's defence.

McQueen remained manager for the next three seasons and in each Tommy played forty or more games for the Reds. He also scored his third, and final, goal for the goal during that time in a five nil victory against Cardiff at Anfield. McQueen's final year was the 27-28 campaign where he was replaced by the returning George Patterson in March 28. Lucas was left out of the side for all of Patterson's time that season.

And the following year he added just five games the following season as well, which included the final three games of the season. It looked as if Tommy's time at Liverpool was up but his appearances in those final few weeks of the 28-29 campaign persuaded Patterson to keep faith with him and Lucas went onto play thirty-two appearances in 29-30.

He bettered that at hit a career high of forty-three the following year, topping the appearance charts, with Archie McPherson, for the only time in his Liverpool career.

Entering his twilight years, Tommy made just twenty appearances in his final two years at the club, eventually bowing out to a three two defeat at the hands of Arsenal at Anfield in October 1932. He left Anfield for Clapton Orient (later Leyton Orient) along with lesser known Reds Ted Crawford and Alastair Henderson in July 33.

He also won three caps for England.

Tommy sadly passed away in December 53, long before most of us were around however he will be remembered as one of the early Liverpool legends and a part of the double title winning teams of the early 20s (even if he only picked up a medal for the 21/22 win).

Tommy Lucas, a Legendary Red!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #125: Aug 21, 2015 10:36:45 pm
      Brian Hall

D.o.B - 22/11/46
      Position - attacking midfielder
      1st team games (goals) - 224 (21)

Glaswegian born Brian Hall was in Liverpool long before his football career came about. He was studying mathematics in Liverpool University when he signed his amateur papers for Liverpool Football Club and with a Bachelor of Science degree to his name, he signed professionally in the summer of 68. His university background earned him the affectionate nickname from the Liverpool faithful of "Little Bamber" after University Challenge host, Bamber Gascoigne. (Fellow Red Steve Heighway was known as "Big Bamber")

Hall eventually made his Liverpool debut in April 69 when he replaced Roger Hunt as a second half substitute in a goalless draw at the Victoria Ground against Stoke. Five days later he again came off the bench, this time against Leicester and for Geoff Strong as Liverpool won 2-1 at Filbert Street. Not a bad introduction to first team football, your first two games see you going against Gordan Banks and Peter Shilton as your opposing goalkeepers.

The following season saw Brian play even fewer games, making just one appearance though he was an unused substitute on a few occasions as well. He was one appearance in the 69/70 season was on Boxing Day when he replaced Bobby Graham as we strolled to a 5-1 victory at Turf Moor. (I must admit, I've never heard of Burnley's keeper that day - Peter Mellor)

Moving into the 70s, Brian gained more opportunities and finally made his Anfield debut, again from the bench, when he replaced John McGlaughlin in a four nil victory over Huddersfield. In September 1970, he won his first start for the club in the League Cup at Field Mill against Mansfield. Who'd have thought it eh? Even in the 70s, we were throwing in youngsters for the League Cup. As the season progressed he began starting more and more games but his first goal for the club appeared elusive.

But when it did come, it's the sort of goal we all dream of. Scoring the winner at Old Trafford. It gets better though, it was against Everton in the FA Cup semi final. Considering we hadn't won a trophy since the League in 66, this was the opportunity for Shankly's new side to prove their greatness. Before the Cup final against Arsenal though, Brian would net his first League goal when he scored the only goal at the City Ground against Nottingham Forest.

Brian was one eight players to play in all seven FA Cup games that year but of course it all ended in disappointment as we lost the final to Arsenal's double winning side.

With the arrival of Kevin Keegan in 71, Brian saw fewer opportunities come his way. He still achieved a credible thirty-three games over the course of the year and got himself on the scoresheet twice in the process, once against Hull and then against Man United - both at Anfield. With the Keegan and Toshack partnership starting to find it's feet by the time 72/73 rolled around, Brian played even fewer games making thirty-one appearances that campaign.

The season did end with a League Title and a UEFA Cup winner's medal for Brian though. However the UEFA Cup medal may have a bittersweet taste for him as in the first leg of the final he started ahead of Toshack, only for the game to be postponed due to Anfield being waterlogged. In that time Shanks, spotted that Monchengladbach's defence had a weakness in the air so for the rearranged game decided to put Toshack back in the side in place of Hall. While Brian later replaced Steve Heighway towards the end of the match, he was left on the bench for the second leg in Germany.

After an in-different start to the 73/74 season, Brian firmly established himself as a regular starter for Bill Shankly's side. With Hall in the side, Liverpool went all the way to Wembley again to play Newcastle in the FA Cup final. This time Brian was on the winning side and added another winners medal to his collection. During the game was the incident I'll always remember Brian for when he "ducked" under the ball and allow Keegan to open the scoring. Brian maintains he purposely ducked because he heard Keegan shout leave it, I'm not so sure.

Make your own minds up;
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKYiN0aUB8w (around the 2:50 mark)

With Shanks leaving at the end of the season, Brian played under his first "new" manager since arriving at the club when Bill's assistant, Bob Paisley took over the reigns. Brian remained an important member of the first team during Bob's first year, getting forty-five games over the course of the season.

However, Paisley wanted to put his own stamp on the side and Brian was unfortunately one of those who was deemed surplus to requirements after the 75-76 season. His final game for the club was as a substitute against Barcelona in the semi final of our successful UEFA Cup run. He got a UEFA Cup winners medal that year but didn't make it off the bench in either leg. His final start for the club was back in December 75 and his final goal a month earlier.

He was sold to Plymouth in the summer of 76 but made a return to Anfield with Burnley in the FA Cup of 79. It wasn't a happy return as the Clarets lost three nil.

That wasn't the final time Brian Hall returned to Anfield though because he became our head PR Officer in the early 90s. A job he would hold for many years.

After battling with leukaemia, we sadly lost Brian in July of this year but he will always be remembered by Kopites all around the world.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #126: Sep 19, 2015 04:15:47 pm
      Interesting to think that not one of our current players can you see ever being considered a legend
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,280 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #127: Sep 19, 2015 07:49:27 pm
      Grobbelar? :)
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #128: Sep 19, 2015 09:06:18 pm
      Where the hell is RAY KENNEDY?  One of the top five players of all time. Sir Bob turned a double winning Arsenal striker into the best left sided midfielder in europe.

Sir Bob once said that out of all the players he had in his sides , Kennedy was the most sought after by the top european clubs every season. A F***ing god of a player.

Quick Reply