Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Why are there so many liverpool fans in Norway

Read 10536 times
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Why are there so many liverpool fans in Norway
      Feb 27, 2009 09:51:58 am
      i found this article whilst googling about, also there was info that solkjare the xman u player used to be in the norweigan liverpool fans club...he he

Do you know where the word scouse comes from?

It's derived from the name lobbskause, a dish brought over from Norway by Norwegian sailors. The denizens of Liverpool, finding this dish to be cheap and easily made, ended up living off the stuff, hence scousers. A Norwegian word.

There use to be a large Norwegian community in Liverpool, by virtue of the large number of Norwegian merchant vessels docking there (myself being of norwegian/liverpool stock)

Also, there are a large amount of place names in and around Liverpool whose names derive from Norway and other Scandinavian countries (i.e, Thingwall, Irby etc). Thingwall use to be the Viking parliment of Britan, even the last battle between the anglo saxons and Vikings was at Bromborough on the Wirral (again a norwegian name).

Technically, Norwegians should be supporting Tranmere, since this is the only football team in the UK that has a Norse derived name (Heron bank). But they're sh*te.

Though the Breck Road is a Norse name (Breck being something to do with a sandstone ridge).

The Norwegian lads have always been coming to the football matches as far as i can remember, so i doubt its to do with Riise and other Scandinavian players like Littmanen etc.

In short, its historical associations stretch far beyond football, and of course, the Norwegians are a studious articulate and highly sensitive race of folk, so supporting any other team with a lack of history or red blooded passion would be out of the question.

Shalom!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Why are there so many liverpool fans in Norway
      Reply #1: Feb 27, 2009 10:54:35 am
      Ahhhhh makes sense now. Cheers robbyr.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,307 posts | 2850 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Feb 27, 2009 01:32:58 pm
      I always thought they were a smart race of people  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Feb 27, 2009 02:02:22 pm
      Oh right.

I always thought it was because they show replays of the 80's seasons on the tele. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,661 posts | 6958 
      Reply #4: Feb 28, 2009 12:46:13 am
      Oh robby robby.  Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your posts.

But surely with you being of 'Norwegian stock' you shouldn't have got these two wrong.

Solskjaer

Norwegian

But I love the way you're such a

Shalom back. ;)
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2009 11:36:12 am
      I always thought they were a smart race of people  ;)

I always thought they were a race of bearded fishermen! :P

Quick Reply