Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread

Read 425087 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Reply #3680: Apr 25, 2016 03:44:58 pm
      I was really impressed with Maguire in pre season... very impressed, was surprised Brad Smith got the nod ahead of him.

Possibly because he's more attacking than Joe mate although that side of Joes game has improved this season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3681: Apr 25, 2016 03:59:13 pm
      Good game, good result. 
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #3682: Apr 25, 2016 04:01:04 pm
      well done lads
      good game
      YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3683: Apr 25, 2016 04:08:53 pm
      Enjoyed the half or so I managed to watch, definitely like Maguire Debs can see why you rate him and as the lads at the end said it looked like Kent had something to prove and did well.

Sounds like Illori picked up an injury, hopefully he wasn't needed anyway but still it's another CB down.

Good win for the lads though, top stuff.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3684: Apr 25, 2016 04:47:04 pm
      Enjoyed the half or so I managed to watch, definitely like Maguire Debs can see why you rate him and as the lads at the end said it looked like Kent had something to prove and did well.

Sounds like Illori picked up an injury, hopefully he wasn't needed anyway but still it's another CB down.

I don't think Iloris injury was bad Luke, looked like he tweaked his calf as he tried to run it off before being subbed.

Kent was good 2nd half when Branners came on, they have a good partnership together and he finally seems to be filling out a bit too.

Maguire has improved his overall game a lot this season, he always looked a steady Eddie type in previous seasons.  Nothing spectacular but very dependable, a bit like Flanno but since playing at CB he's flourished and is getting further forward a lot more when at FB.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3685: Apr 25, 2016 04:49:01 pm

Ilori seemed in quite high spirits sat on the hill towards the end of the game when he was shown on camera so it shouldn't be anything too bad. His injury proneness does create worry though. He's not useful to anyone if he can't stay fit so I hope he overcomes this part of his game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3686: Apr 25, 2016 04:54:54 pm
      I don't think Iloris injury was bad Luke, looked like he tweaked his calf as he tried to run it off before being subbed.

Kent was good 2nd half when Branners came on, they have a good partnership together and he finally seems to be filling out a bit too.

Maguire has improved his overall game a lot this season, he always looked a steady Eddie type in previous seasons.  Nothing spectacular but very dependable, a bit like Flanno but since playing at CB he's flourished and is getting further forward a lot more when at FB.

Ilori seemed in quite high spirits sat on the hill towards the end of the game when he was shown on camera so it shouldn't be anything too bad. His injury proneness does create worry though. He's not useful to anyone if he can't stay fit so I hope he overcomes this part of his game.

Fair point about Ilori guys.

In terms of Maguire Debs I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him, not a bad bit of competition with Ilori/Lloyd-Jones pushing for game time that.

Kent with Ojo jumping ahead of him, sounds like the u21 is ticking along quite nicely.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3687: Apr 25, 2016 05:00:51 pm
      Fair point about Ilori guys.

In terms of Maguire Debs I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him, not a bad bit of competition with Ilori/Lloyd-Jones pushing for game time that.

Kent with Ojo jumping ahead of him, sounds like the u21 is ticking along quite nicely.

We could have used Lloyd Jones this season mate and I doubt Jürgen's had a proper look at him yet due to him playing and training at Blackpool but I can see quite a few of the 21s getting some senior game time next season.  Not regularly perhaps but enough to keep them hungry for more.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3688: May 03, 2016 10:49:24 pm
      21s beat Chesterfield 5-0 tonight. 

Not sure of the 2nd half scorers but Lennon got 2 and Kent 1 in the first half.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3689: May 06, 2016 08:43:32 pm
      Last game of the season for the U21's and not even on LFC TV, ridiculous!

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3690: May 06, 2016 08:53:59 pm
      Last game of the season for the U21's and not even on LFC TV, ridiculous!

Is it Man City?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3691: May 06, 2016 09:01:41 pm

Yup last I checked we were 1 down.
      No Stewart, Randall, Brannagan or Pedro which may suggest they play on Sunday.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3692: May 06, 2016 09:09:02 pm
      Yup last I checked we were 1 down.
      No Stewart, Randall, Brannagan or Pedro which may suggest they play on Sunday.

It's a game that was meant to be played a few weeks ago on the same night that we played Dortmund. Probably not been able to sort out it being on TV with it being a re-scheduled game.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3693: May 07, 2016 10:31:53 am
      It's a game that was meant to be played a few weeks ago on the same night that we played Dortmund. Probably not been able to sort out it being on TV with it being a re-scheduled game.

a couple of days ago my sky planner showed that the game was on live but when I went to skyplus it I noticed it had gone so not sure what happened.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3694: May 07, 2016 12:45:52 pm
      a couple of days ago my sky planner showed that the game was on live but when I went to skyplus it I noticed it had gone so not sure what happened.

lost 2-0
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3695: May 15, 2016 12:58:06 pm
      Dan Cleary and Alex O'Hanlon have been released.  All the best for the future lads.

I expect a few more will follow in the coming weeks.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3696: May 15, 2016 01:23:30 pm
      Dan Cleary and Alex O'Hanlon have been released.  All the best for the future lads.

I expect a few more will follow in the coming weeks.

Think your right Debs, happens each season, I expect one or two to come aswell come August.

YNWA
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3697: May 15, 2016 01:42:51 pm

Think your right Debs, happens each season, I expect one or two to come aswell come August.

YNWA

We've had a tendency to hold onto some of them for too long though Billy, sometimes hindering their opportunities of progression at other Clubs.  Some of the lads are 22/23 now and have barely, if ever, featured with the 1st team and never played anything other than youth footy.  They don't stand a chance of performing in the lower leagues without some pro experience, you need to be tough physically and mentally to succeed there and that's something that isn't taught in Academies.

As for coming in I've seen a few rumours of those we're after.  There's one 16 year old we've already brought in from City and another 15 year we're more than likely to get from them.

I believe Shamall George is about to sign his first pro contract with us too.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3698: Jul 05, 2016 02:32:15 pm
      Not only are the 1st team back in pre season but the Academy are as well with a few good games and a mini tour to kick start their season.

Liverpool FC Academy youngsters heading on tour to Germany

17:42, 4 Jul 2016
          Updated 17:42, 4 Jul 2016
          By James Pearce

Beale delighted with competitive schedule for his young Reds

Liverpool Academy youngsters are going on tour to Germany as part of their pre-season preparations.

Both the U21s and the U18s squads will fly to Munich next Sunday for two matches against Bundesliga 2 and Bundesliga 3 clubs.

They face Sonnerhoff on Saturday, July 16 with another game against Erzgebirge four days later.

On their return the young Reds will play a prestigious friendly against Celtic U21s at their Glasgow Academy base on Wednesday, July 27 before taking on Morecambe’s first team on Saturday, July 30.

Liverpool U21s boss Michael Beale said: “We fly to Munich for 12 days and play against a Bundesliga 3 first team followed by a match against a Bundesliga 2 first team.

“We will have a very young U21s group but it will be a fantastic experience for these young players.
      Brooks Lennon celebrates scoring for Liverpool against Celtic at Chester

“The Celtic game will be a great challenge for the boys as we had a very good game against them last season in the Premier League U21 International Cup.

“We also get the chance to play against Morecambe’s first team, which is a week before their season starts, so that will be another test for us as well as we get ready for the start of another season.

“These are all varied challenges for the boys but it’s brilliant because we get to play against first teams, which you don’t get during the season, so we have to grab every opportunity we get to do that.”

Liverpool U21s pre-season schedule

Sonnerhoff (A) - Saturday July 16, 7pm

Erzgebirge (A) - Wednesday July 20, 7pm

Rhyl (A) - Sunday July 24, 2pm

Celtic (A) - Wednesday July 27, 5pm, at Celtic FC Academy

Morecambe (A) - Saturday July 30, 3pm, at the Globe Arena
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3699: Jul 05, 2016 03:55:00 pm
      The U21s will play in the EFL Trophy (used to be the Johnstone's Paint Trophy right?) with 15 other Premier League U21 sides. They will have a group stage to guarantee three matches against League One and League Two first teams. Fans of those clubs don't like it, but should be good experience for our youngsters, especially as reports about intensity levels in U21 matches are rather dismissive.

Not sure of those group matches come before the Holidays. I assume so.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3700: Jul 06, 2016 02:40:45 pm
      http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx

More details on that released by The Football League. First group stage match in August. Academy teams must have at least 6 U21s in the lineup, while Football League clubs must have 6 "first-team" players in theirs.

At least one home match has to be at Anfield.

But now it appears this may not happen for us at all: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-likely-turn-down-11576325

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3701: Jul 07, 2016 01:19:52 am
      Not sure why it's only 6 u-21's, when the entry was based on being academy teams,let the kids play f.f.s.i'm not to arsed about the comp if they let over 21's in.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3702: Jul 16, 2016 08:31:52 pm
      Good work from the young lads today.

Jake Brimmer was on the mark as Liverpool U21s came from a goal down to clinch a 1-1 draw with German Bundesliga third tier team Sonnenhoff on Saturday.

The Australian midfielder netted with a sweet volley after good combination work between Brooks Lennon and Joe Maguire.

Brimmer then came close to a winner with a great effort from 30-yards out which was well saved.

Reflecting on the game, U21s boss Michael Beale told Liverpoolfc.com: "Sonnenhoff are a Bundesliga 3 team who finished seventh last year and have an average age of 26, so we were giving away a lot physically.

"This was their fifth pre-season outing while for us it was our first game so we knew we were in for a tough game.

"We conceded in the first minute to a very well worked team goal and had to dig deep in the first 20 minutes as their strength and intensity was very difficult for us to cope with.

"However we did warm into the game and Jack Dunn had a good chance well saved and we produced two or three very well worked moves that should have led to an equaliser.

"Herbie Kane was a strong influence in the game and both him and Bobby Adekanye worked chances for the team in the second half to maybe go on and steal a win.

"It was a good finish from Jake to get our equaliser after a really good move.

"Overall it was an excellent pre-season game against a physically strong opponent who were both older and at a more advanced stage of their pre season.

"This is the type of game we would like to play on a regular basis and it really pushed the players.

"We certainly have areas to improve on but as a starting base I am pleased. We have trained very hard in our pre-season training camp in Germany."

Liverpool U21s first-half team: George, Whelan, Maguire, Jones, Brewitt, Virtue, Lennon, Phillips, M Gomes, Hart, Dunn.

Second-half team: George, Lewis, trialist, Jones (Brewitt). Maguire (hart), Virtue (Phillips), Adekanye, Brimmer, Kane, Lennon (M Gomes), T Gomes.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/227925-brimmer-on-the-mark-as-young-reds-draw-in-germany

Quick Reply