Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread

Read 426369 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Liverpool FC - The Reserves Thread
      Reply #3956: Nov 23, 2016 08:42:54 pm
      Virtue hat-trick, 4-0.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3957: Nov 23, 2016 08:48:41 pm
      Good to see Mattie getting some goals.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3958: Nov 23, 2016 08:55:36 pm
      All over, 4-0, wham, bam, thank you mam.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3959: Nov 23, 2016 10:39:30 pm
      Reports that Joe Gomez could be a great back up for the rest of the season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3960: Nov 28, 2016 06:05:41 pm
      U23s take on Derby tonight from 6.30pm on lfc.tv.  KO at 7pm.

Will be interesting to see the starting line up with us playing Leeds tomorrow night.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3961: Nov 28, 2016 06:34:22 pm
      holy crap,this poor kid doing the pre-game.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #3962: Nov 28, 2016 06:36:41 pm
      U23's line-up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LFC/status/803298719349149698

No Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ejaria, Stewart and Woodburn.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3963: Nov 29, 2016 05:16:46 pm
      Did anyone see this Derby match? If so, how did Pedro Chirivella look? he's been out for a while.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3964: Nov 29, 2016 05:19:58 pm
      Did anyone see this Derby match? If so, how did Pedro Chirivella look? he's been out for a while.

I watched it Rob, he did ok.  They all did and we should have won easily but we just couldn't score, no matter how much we peppered their goal.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #3965: Dec 02, 2016 06:36:47 pm
      https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/804752969409429504

Means there is a vacancy for a coach............step forward Stevie  :)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3966: Dec 02, 2016 06:50:04 pm

That's so random.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3967: Dec 02, 2016 07:30:31 pm

I'd imagine Critchley would step up from the 18s first mate or possibly even Pep could step in but not if it interferes with the Futures Group.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3968: Dec 02, 2016 09:17:52 pm
      I'd imagine Critchley would step up from the 18s first mate or possibly even Pep could step in but not if it interferes with the Futures Group.

I think Critchley has deserved the opportunity. Put somebody in charge of the 18's and maybe have Gerrard as an assistant or coach in the 18's as part of a new team.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3969: Dec 02, 2016 09:18:55 pm
        hmmmph.Not really happy about this,if true.Hopefully the people are in place for a seemless transition.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #3970: Dec 02, 2016 09:21:34 pm
        hmmmph.Not really happy about this,if true.Hopefully the people are in place for a seemless transition.

You don't have to be happy about it though. He's got the opportunity to become an assistant manager at a big Brazilian team, of course he's going to take it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3971: Dec 02, 2016 09:36:01 pm
      I think Critchley has deserved the opportunity. Put somebody in charge of the 18's and maybe have Gerrard as an assistant or coach in the 18's as part of a new team.

That would make sense mate although I'm not sure who we have to move to the 18s.  Pep helps look after the 16s, as well as the seniors at Melwood and works with the FG.

Maybe this guy?

First Name: Des

Surname: Maher

Job Title: U16 coach

Des Maher joined Liverpool from Preston North end and has gained fantastic experience working across age groups including the U14s,1 U15s, U16s and U17s over the last seven years.

As a coach he was one of the first in the country to complete the Advanced Youth award in 2015.

In recent years Des has enjoyed working alongside Michael Beale, Pepijn Linders and also many first team players whilst completing their coaching licences.

Maybe this guy is the link in for Stevie?

First Name: Tom

Surname: Culshaw

Job Title: U13 coach

Tom is a former academy defender who as a youngster was picked up by the club playing in the same local Huyton teams as his close friend Steven Gerrard.

As a schoolboy he represented England at international level playing for both U15 and U16 age groups, and at 16 he also graduated from the FA National School where he spent two years living at Lilleshall with future stars Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher.

He started as a youth team player and then signed professional forms at 17 and progressed to become the reserve team captain gaining experience training alongside established players such as Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman.

After playing Tom worked in coaching and education and became the football development officer at the LFC Foundation College where he designed and overlooked the U19 college football programme accommodating one ladies and seven men teams.

At the college he was also a qualified tutor teaching BTEC and NVQ qualifications in sport to the students.

Tom returned to the Academy in 2011 to begin coaching our current young players.

He said: "As a player I was lucky to come through the ranks alongside youngsters who would later become some of the best players in the club's history.

"Now being back as a coach I want to pass my knowledge and experience onto our talented group of players and help them fulfil their potential and become professionals at the highest level."
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3972: Dec 02, 2016 09:39:34 pm
      You don't have to be happy about it though. He's got the opportunity to become an assistant manager at a big Brazilian team, of course he's going to take it.

Jesus, excuse me for having an opinion.Everything's great.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3973: Dec 03, 2016 06:43:49 pm
      Great to see Gomez getting another full game and Ojo got 65 minutes after being out since pre season. 

Pretty disappointing that we've not done better in this tournament but we were very unlucky not to win our games against Porto and Wolfsburg.  Had them run ragged but as has been the case a lot this season, we've failed to score when on top.

Noticed that Juanma has started to have some influence in recent games too, he's been putting some great crosses/passes into the box for our forwards.

Sheyi Ojo returns as U23s fall to Leicester cup defeat

Steve Hunter
      @Shunter77

Sheyi Ojo made his comeback as Liverpool U23s went down to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Leicester City in their final Premier League International Cup game at St George's Park on Saturday.

The former MK Dons youngster played 65 minutes as he made his first appearance since pre-season after overcoming his recent injury woes.

Joe Gomez also stepped up his bid for fitness as he played his third 90 minutes since returning to action.

Harry Wilson had given the young Reds a first-half lead with a header from a Juanma cross.

However, the young Foxes turned the game around in the second 45 minutes thanks to two goals from Layton Ndukwu.

The second of Ndukwu's goals was a simply sublime Xabi Alonso-style effort, as he picked up the ball around the halfway line and arced the ball over Kamil Grabara and into the net.

Michael Beale's side carved out some glorious opportunities in reply but just couldn't find the equaliser.

Reflecting on the game, Beale told Liverpoolfc.com: "First of all it was good to see Sheyi back and he did well.

"Overall it was a poor performance from the standards we have set ourselves recently.

"We were slow getting started but then grew into the game and scored a really top class team goal via Juanma's cross and Wilson's header.

"Brooks Lennon was twice put clean through on goal with just the goalkeeper to beat but was denied by the Leicester goalkeeper.

"They then equalised with a goal on the counter attack and then a fantastic goal changed the game.

"We responded well but it wasn't to be today and overall it sums up our cup campaign where we haven't done as well as we would of liked.

"We now look ahead to Tuesday's game against West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League Cup, when we will be looking to get back to our normal selves and especially in our defensive pressing and work ethic that was a little bit missing today."

Liverpool U23s: Grabara, J Gomez, Juanma, Ilori, Sakho, Williams, Wilson, Chirivella (Alves 65), Lennon, Brannagan (M Gomes 65), Ojo (Virtue 65).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3974: Dec 06, 2016 05:03:11 pm
      I see the U23s have a match tonight vs. West Brom in a  cup competition (similar to League Cup I gather) and a friendly tomorrow vs. Nurnberg. Shades of the preseason Barca/Mainz two matches in 24 hours.

Hopefully this time, NOBODY will be called upon to play twice in two days.

I suppose we'll know the lineup for tonight soon enough, but I wonder what the respective lineups might be. I see nine players listed in the first team squad that probably did not go to Spain (Sakho, Gomez, Ilori, Randall, Brannagan, Stewart, Ojo, Chirivella and Grujic (surely he needs a game more than training just now). Beyond that there are 39 outfield players and six goalkeepers listed on the official web site in the Academy/U23 squad(s). The U18s game a game Saturday, but that would still leave 32 or so players available for these two matches, along with the nine from the first team.

How do they sort this? If you are Sakho, for instance, would you rather play against a German first team (from the 2nd division) or  in an official U23 competition (I'm guessing the former). Do Liverpool mix up the teams or go with a definite first team then 2nd team. I'm guessing all the players who might be part of the squad for Sunday vs. West Ham would play tonight, rather than Wednesday.

Pardon my meandering curiosity. Just always interested in how the younger players are coming along.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3975: Dec 06, 2016 05:39:37 pm
      I see the U23s have a match tonight vs. West Brom in a  cup competition (similar to League Cup I gather) and a friendly tomorrow vs. Nurnberg. Shades of the preseason Barca/Mainz two matches in 24 hours.

Hopefully this time, NOBODY will be called upon to play twice in two days.

I suppose we'll know the lineup for tonight soon enough, but I wonder what the respective lineups might be. I see nine players listed in the first team squad that probably did not go to Spain (Sakho, Gomez, Ilori, Randall, Brannagan, Stewart, Ojo, Chirivella and Grujic (surely he needs a game more than training just now). Beyond that there are 39 outfield players and six goalkeepers listed on the official web site in the Academy/U23 squad(s). The U18s game a game Saturday, but that would still leave 32 or so players available for these two matches, along with the nine from the first team.

How do they sort this? If you are Sakho, for instance, would you rather play against a German first team (from the 2nd division) or  in an official U23 competition (I'm guessing the former). Do Liverpool mix up the teams or go with a definite first team then 2nd team. I'm guessing all the players who might be part of the squad for Sunday vs. West Ham would play tonight, rather than Wednesday.

Pardon my meandering curiosity. Just always interested in how the younger players are coming along.

I'd imagine they'll go with a pretty strong team in the Cup, then whoever needs game time such as Ojo, Grujic and possibly Gomez in the friendly.  We've more than enough players to cover the two games as you say mate.

The Cup game isn't on lfc.tv but it is on lfcgo for those who have the subscription, the friendly isn't on either format.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3976: Dec 07, 2016 03:51:31 pm
      so against West Brom the lineup was, as predicted by Debs, stronger: Kamil Grabara, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Maguire (Brooks Lennon, 71), Mamadou Sakho, Tiago Ilori, Pedro Chirivella, Cameron Brannagan, Ovie Ejaria, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Sheyi Ojo.

That lineup may not be far from our team against Plymouth or Newport County (minus Sakho, Ilori and the goalkeeper)

Against Nuremberg this morning we fielded (with Mike Garrity and Tim Jenkins coaching in place of Michael Beale): George (first game of the season after being injured during preseason), Whelan, N. Phillips, Masterson, Brewitt, Williams, Brimmer, Virtue, T Gomes (Dhanda, 65), Alves (Dunn, 75), Lennon.

Coaches mentioned it was Brimmer's first 90 minutes of the season. I am not familiar with him. Debs? I also see Jack Dunn played, does that mean his loan to Morecambe is now over? Masterson made the bench for an FA Cup match last season and Williams has gained some publicity for himself, some better than other.

BTW, did Grujic go to Barcelona? Because he didn't play in either of these.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3977: Dec 07, 2016 04:28:52 pm
      so against West Brom the lineup was, as predicted by Debs, stronger: Kamil Grabara, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Maguire (Brooks Lennon, 71), Mamadou Sakho, Tiago Ilori, Pedro Chirivella, Cameron Brannagan, Ovie Ejaria, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn, Sheyi Ojo.

That lineup may not be far from our team against Plymouth or Newport County (minus Sakho, Ilori and the goalkeeper)

Against Nuremberg this morning we fielded (with Mike Garrity and Tim Jenkins coaching in place of Michael Beale): George (first game of the season after being injured during preseason), Whelan, N. Phillips, Masterson, Brewitt, Williams, Brimmer, Virtue, T Gomes (Dhanda, 65), Alves (Dunn, 75), Lennon.

Coaches mentioned it was Brimmer's first 90 minutes of the season. I am not familiar with him. Debs? I also see Jack Dunn played, does that mean his loan to Morecambe is now over? Masterson made the bench for an FA Cup match last season and Williams has gained some publicity for himself, some better than other.

BTW, did Grujic go to Barcelona? Because he didn't play in either of these.

Jake Brimmer is an Aussie who we "spotted" as a 16yr old whilst we were in Australia on pre season tour 2 yrs ago, or actually we might have spotted him as a 14yr old 2 yrs previously then signed him once he turned 16.  Not sure why he's not played this season as he did feature for the u18s last season.  Good player mate and a boyhood Liverpool fan  :D

Jack returned from Morecombe a few weeks ago due to not getting enough game time after he'd had his usual series of niggling injuries.  Good to see him playing again though.

Masterson is our u18s Captain and yes he did make the bench for an FA Cup game, he's a CB and one of the lads who've been involved with Pep Lindjers in the Futures Group since he was 15.

Jordan Williams has been playing with the u23s but is just coming back from injury, I'm glad his misdemeanor hasn't effected his game time as he's a decent player and very versatile.

Not sure what's been happening at the Academy with injuries this season but Ojo, Williams and at least 2 others, whose names escapes me, have all been out with stress fractures of the spine.

No Grujic didn't travel to Barcelona so not sure why he's not been included in these games but he has been injured so maybe he's a set back as he was on the bench a couple of weeks ago after the one he picked up on International duty.

Good to see Mike Garrity stepping in for Beale, he's been working with the u23s since the start of last season so continuity wise, why not?  Whether that changes further down the line is another matter as we have far more experienced and better qualified coaches working at the Club with the other age groups.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3978: Dec 07, 2016 06:06:52 pm
      Thanks Deb,

Connor Randall and Kevin Stewart are two others who probably could use a game who didn't play in either, Pretty sure I saw Stewart in a photo from Barcelona. Not sure about Randall although he was in one of the pics the club put out from training today at Melwood.

All of this reminds me that it must add an extra element of seriousness/intensity/professionalism to training and matches at the U23 level (and younger) given how Klopp has shown he is willing to use young players in matches if they're good enough.

Quick Reply