Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool FC vs Chelsea (Champions League QF) - Pre Match

Read 31909 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Liverpool FC vs Chelsea (Champions League QF) - Pre Match
      Apr 06, 2009 07:28:31 am
      Wed 8th April
      Kick off 19:45
      Live on Sky Sports 2

Well it that annual tradition we have come to have under Rafa. Liverpool vs Chelsea in the Champions League for the 5th year in a row. I don't know what to expect from the guys really, having been really focus on the league this competition seems to have gotten pushed to the back burner but I know it would be sad to lose to them in the knock-out stage again.

I know the supporters will be up for it and I guess Chelsea will now have to buy flags for the return leg to get some "atmosphere" into the ground  :f_whistle:

I think the key is keeping the clean sheet at home, away goal cost us last time out and I think we can keep a clean sheet that we can score at the Bridge and get this done but it will be tough.

Anyone care to guess Rafa line-up?
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2009 10:30:05 am by JD »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Pre-Match Liverpool FC vs Chelsea (Champions League QF)
      Reply #1: Apr 06, 2009 07:30:41 am
       :D  Just getting my crystal ball out adam !! 

We should do this easily, as you say, a clean sheet is vital, then we can finish it of at Stamford Bridge.  Wonder if Yossi will get a start ?  ;)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Apr 06, 2009 07:38:04 am
      Wonder if Yossi will get a start ?  ;)

It is hard to say, Kuyt will play for sure because he will stick on Ashley Cole like glue and I feel Rafa didn't use Riera on the weekend so he can play him for this game. I know Drogba missed the game on the weekend, hope he will be out for this game because he always seems to play great against us though I think we would done better last year in the away leg if Skrtel wouldn't of got hurt because he has the pace and power to deal with him unlike Carra, Agger or Sami
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #3: Apr 06, 2009 08:38:57 am
      Tough call this one. Well obviously with Aurelio not in squad and Yossi only on for 15 minutes, they should be playing this. Its gonna be a hard game but at the moment our combo is working to its maximum and so we're got to fully take advantage of this.

Having closely observed Chelsea's performance with Newcastle at the weekend, they're not exactly on a good run of form now, perhaps their win was a little scrappy. Considering Shearer's appointment just late on it was a little impossible for him to turn this in the troubled Toon. Yes, but Chelsea did not exactly play well, they were suffering from the effects of that loss at Spurs. If we up the tempo more and play with urgency, we would be in for a great shout to take the first game at Anfield. A two goal lead would be vital, but still very possible because our Kop will be in full voice.

Well, my choice for the first XI would be.

-----------Reina-----------
      Arby-Carra-Skrtel-Aurelio
      --------Masch-Alonso----
      ----Kuyt--Gerrard-Benayoun
      ----------Torres!--------
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Apr 06, 2009 08:41:15 am
      Exact same team as redsonfire for me. Dirk and Yossi are vital in attack, so both must play. Masch is back and hopefully Fabio too.

1-0 win.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Apr 06, 2009 09:50:03 am
      I don't reckon Yossi will start.  It'll be Kuyt and Riera on the flanks I reckon.

Alsonso and Mascherano in the middle, Gerrard and Torres in attack and then Fabio starting in defence alongside Carra, Skrtel and Arbeloa. Pepe in between the sticks.

I don't usually like guessing the team, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't the team sheet.

Need to get this tie sorted as soon as possible.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2009 09:50:47 am
       We should have no problems with Chelsea this time round,there will be no own goals from J.A.R. and we are more solid at the back.It would be nice to do a Real Madrid on Chelsea as that would really demoralise them.Rafa and the Mighty REDS please keep that winning run going.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Chelsea (Champions League QF) pre match
      Reply #7: Apr 06, 2009 10:02:46 am
      isnt Marsh got ban for this game?because of the yellow cards at real marid game?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Apr 06, 2009 10:03:41 am
      isnt Marsh got ban for this game?because of the yellow cards at real marid game?

Mascherano is, yeah. Lucas it is then.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #9: Apr 06, 2009 10:11:12 am
      Yossi is a very important player for this game. It was pleasing to see how well he did at Fulham, he rounded it off with a well taken goal. People like Yossi is exactly what we need to move forward to strengthen the team, most of our players that get onto the pitch play with the heart and seldom with the brain. 

I see Yossi and possibly Gerrard/Torres only doing that in the squad. Kuyt is a extremely motivated hardworker, 100% commitment, 100% heart, but 0% brain IMO. But people like Yossi is the key to unlock a mean defence, as seen a few occasions this season already. Yossi can spot runs from players, has developed a good understanding with them and he is one of them that can just create a through ball out of nothing, one of them who can just come out with a moment of brillance to change the game in our favour. Yossi's very underrated imo. This kind of creative player who knows how to look not only the next move, but the next next move as well.

Tie him down to a new contract, Rafa.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 06, 2009 10:25:43 am
      Yossi vs Riera is an interesting one. I feel Riera on his day, offers more going forward. I still look at Yossi and think he looks very light weight, especially up against a strong, physical team like chelsea. However, Yossi does do his bit working back, which no doubt endears him to Rafa esp in a game like this.
      Overall I think Rafa will go for Riera, he's rested him and despite Yossi scoring on sat, I think he'll stick with his first choice.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,607 posts | 6930 
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Chelsea (Champions League QF) - Pre Match
      Reply #11: Apr 06, 2009 10:30:45 am
      isnt Marsh got ban for this game?

::)

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Apr 06, 2009 10:51:06 am
                         Reina
      Arbeloa Carragher Skrtel Aurelio
                   Lucas Alonso
      Kuyt                              Riera
                        Gerrard
                  Torres
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #13: Apr 06, 2009 11:15:52 am
                         Reina
      Arbeloa Carragher Skrtel Aurelio
                   Lucas Alonso
      Kuyt                              Riera
                        Gerrard
                  Torres

Have to agree with that. I would be very happy with that team. Every one of these players has been on great form recently. I know Yossi has been brilliant but we have to keep in mind he is only back from injury. Imo that is the reason he only played the 15 mins against Fulham. It would be a huge loss to lose him for the second leg. Let him play the super sub role until he is 100%.

I wouldn't take anything for granted with this game. We beat Scolari's Chelsea twice this season. It gives us a mental advantage but Hiddink has this team playing a different style. No doubt Rafa has a plan for Hiddink's style of play but as far as I'm concerned the two games earlier in the season were against a different team.

Our mistake at Anfield last season was not Riise's fault, it was a deadly team error. We switched off in the last few minutes and let them inch their way up the pitch. You can say what you want about that own goal, but we all know we should never have let Chelsea get that far up the pitch to put in the Cross. This season however we are definitely playing for the full 90 and beyond. We have shown that against Chelsea at Anfield scoring in the 89th and the 92nd minutes. And more recently against Fulham scoring in the 93rd minute.

Last season we had all the talent to beat them. This year we are even stronger while they are just older. I can't see anything other than a win, if the lads are up for it!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #14: Apr 06, 2009 11:26:23 am
       :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry but made me laugh, it seems we should be afraid on Wednesday  :lmao:

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~1614008,00.html
      « Last Edit: Apr 07, 2009 07:03:50 pm by HUYTON RED »
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #15: Apr 06, 2009 11:28:11 am
      Having closely observed Chelsea's performance with Newcastle at the weekend, they're not exactly on a good run of form now, perhaps their win was a little scrappy.

It can't be more true. Chelsea's two goals were due to Newcastle's mistakes. Looking at our current standard of play, we couldn't have committed those errors.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #16: Apr 06, 2009 11:57:01 am
      According to Sky Rafa's dropping hints that Yossi wont be starting on Weds, Stevie's got a slight groin injury but is expected to start. Then again there's no way Rafa's gonna show his hand before he has to, so you can't take anything as true un less someone is ruled out. Can't wait for this one though, well up for it. It was the own goal that did us in the end last year so a clean sheet is vital. And yes, we were all a bit flat yesterday after the Villa collapse but heads up reds, theres still a lot of football to be played. This is a massive tie and so important to everything left in our season, let's give them a real anfield welcome.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #17: Apr 06, 2009 12:08:28 pm

Hahahaha! How pathetic!
      Adz
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,192 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 06, 2009 12:09:33 pm
      Yes, Mascherano is suspended.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #19: Apr 06, 2009 12:29:13 pm
      Its been such a long time since we have been able to say we dont care who were playing its all about us. If we continue our fine form and with Rafa obviously keeping something up his sleeve I am actually again relaxed about tomorrow night .(at the moment anyway).We now have a squad playing well that gives us many options so I think maybe Rafa will put Stevie alongside Xabi and Yossi up with Nando.Good point too is we dont have J.A.R to score for them.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,720 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #20: Apr 06, 2009 12:40:22 pm
      Massive tie this one.

Looking forward to it though....I think we're going to miss Masch but I'm glad he'll be available for the 2nd leg. Fat Frank would be probably be more dangerous in front of his own supporters so it's comforting to know Masch will be there to nullify him.

Hopefully Lucas can play a blinder and take FF out of the game in the first leg. We might all hate Lumplard but he's capable of slipping through a thru ball that could send Drogba or Anelka on their way. If that happens I'm quiet sure that JC & Skittles can handle them but they have to be right on top of their game.

I'd love to see Benni start after his heroics on the weekend but the only place I could fit him in would be in behind Fernando...which would mean Stevie dropping back to midfield to partner Xabi, with Riera playing left wing. Now is not the time for experimenting however and I fully expect SG to take up his normal role behind FT, Riera start with Aurelio playing LB. Benni on the bench.

Hopefully he wont need to do what he did on the weekend as we should be 3 or 4 up by the time he's summoned. He can just add the icing on the cake.

Come on you REDMEN

P.S I'm confident of a win here because I know MsGerrard will be in the crowd...hopefully she gets to see us hammer another side into oblivion  ;)
      arkles lad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,986 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 06, 2009 12:41:32 pm
      Can anyone confirm that stevie lad can definately play wednesday night,i thought he picked up a yellow against madrid and another yellow in a previous game?cheers
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #22: Apr 06, 2009 12:52:22 pm
      Can anyone confirm that stevie lad can definately play wednesday night,i thought he picked up a yellow against madrid and another yellow in a previous game?cheers

No, but that Steven Gerrard should be playing though! Theres only Mascherano who will be suspended, although I did hear Steven had picked up a slight on Saturday, he'll be fine for Wednesday.

Quick Reply