Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool v Arsenal - Pre Match Thread

Read 36214 times
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Liverpool v Arsenal - Pre Match Thread
      Apr 16, 2009 08:08:59 am
      Tuesday 21st April 2009
      FA Premier League

Haven't seen this pre-match thread sticking around at the forum, so I thought I'll just start this.

Well for me, straight when the game starts we'll have a go at them. They're at the peak of their form of the season, but if we are gonna get 3 points for this, we've gonna do our best and shut out their men, especially people like Fabregas, Adebayor and van Persie and Arshavin. They are the four main key men that will potentially threaten us, so it's gonna be a tough encounter, but still winnable, and vital for our title hopes.

Arsenal's nearly out of the title race, well, mathematically possible but rationally impossible. With them lacking a solid defensive midfielder at the moment, Gerrard is the key factor for me in this game. Arsenal's defenders ain't exactly fast either so I reckon that we are just gonna go down the centre, using the Gerrard-Torres combo again to destroy them. Especially with potentially key players on the flanks for Arsenal, Walcott, Arshavin, Nasri, our fullbacks may be pinned back to our half so attacking down through the centre by Gerrard and Torres would be the most vital to secure victory. Alonso's effectiveness also comes into use, given that he can play the long balls up into the Arsenal half with them lacking Gallas, having the slowest of defenders Silverstre and Toure, I think Torres is gonna have an easy day out.

Arsenal is on an unbeaten run of 18 games in the EPL, but amazingly not in the title race. But with that confidence Arsenal's coming to Anfield makes this game as critical as ever. Make no mistake, this is the toughest of the 6 games we have remaining, and possibly this may be the wrong time to face them. But I reckon with us getting, pushing harder as ever since 1990, and having a geniune chance of winning the EPL, the lads will be up for this, the utmost importance of this game staring up in everyone's faces.

My prediction? 2-1 to Liverpool.  ;)
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2009 08:54:04 am by JD »
      FP928
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal 21th April 09 - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: Apr 16, 2009 08:27:04 am
      Well, that was fast. :)

However, I absolutely agree. This is probably the toughest match we have left, and we cannot afford to make any mistakes. Arsenal are on pretty good form at the moment, and scoring quite a few goals themselves. Our defence has to be solid.
      Agger should have a chance to start for this match.

Not so sure about my prediction just yet, but a win, any win, will do. Of course, I wouldn't complain if we end up netting at least three. ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal 21th April 09 - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #2: Apr 16, 2009 08:52:27 am
      With Arsenal in the semi finals of the Champions League and FA Cup, there is no excuse why we can't get 3 points at home.

I guess it's Javier Mascherano's job to handle Cesc Fabregas so Xabi Alonso can play his game, spread the play left and right so it opens space at the centre for Fernando Torres to have a run and probably Steven Gerrard to shoot. The left and right sides need to do a great job holding off Theo Walcott and Samir Nasri and also not forgetting Andrei Arshavin. If we can put Cristiano Ronaldo in the back pocket, I don't see why we can't handle them 3.

Need to contain Robin van Persie and Emanuel Adebayor as well. Adebayor will be a target man and van Persie has ability from long range.

Liverpool, go out and fight and get the 3 points and please do not concede unnecessary free kicks like we did against Chelsea. 
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Liverpool v Arsenal - Pre Match Thread
      Reply #3: Apr 16, 2009 10:26:50 am
      This is a tough game to call, but we need it more than them!

Im confident we can win, might be another thriller mind you, 3-2.

We should have Gerrard back, and hopefully no injury problems.
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Apr 16, 2009 11:23:22 am
      their defence is been weaken because of injures.so shouldnt be too hard for us to score.but we still cannot step off the gas.i think the score gona be 2-0 to us.torre and gerrard scores the goals.i want see agger and insua!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #5: Apr 16, 2009 11:29:21 am
      i say an astounding 4-1 victory to liverpool. we scored 4 against manure, 4 against real madrid, 5 past villa and 4 up chels**t arse so why can't we go for it against the arsenal. as long we can hold down fabregas and arshavin, then adebayor is worth s**t.
      Fowlers God
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 58 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 16, 2009 11:43:06 am
      Huge game in our season now...

One week since we will have played, Arsenal will have played twice..

Hopefully the rest we will have attained will help get us the victory to apply pressure at the top, thats all we can do at this moment..

6 games left, 3 tricky ones in my opinion begiinning with Arsenal next week...

We need a win, 1-0 will do.
      Roland G
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 16, 2009 11:43:22 am
      It's going to be a cracker. We'll be flying out the blocks. All we can do for now is continue winning and keep up the pressure on the Mancs. It may be our toughest game on paper but the game isn't played on paper. We should take it one game at a time and respect our opponents until they step onto the field.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Apr 16, 2009 12:10:25 pm
      Huge opportunity this.

First off, Dossena cannot play left back for this match. Walcott or Arshavin would run rings around him. Therefore if he's going to play it has got to be left wing although to be honest I don't see him in the starting eleven.

Van Persie and Adebayor are very talented forwards. Neither are blisteringly quick however which is an advantage to us in terms of our centre backs. I think Carragher, Skrtel, Agger and Hyypia can all play and do a good job if called upon.

Fabregas is back which is obviously a huge plus for Arsenal, he's always a danger, he has the ability to unlock a defence with one pass and he has goals in him too. I'm guessing Mascherano will be taking care of Fabregas although having said that I expected him to play against Lampard on Tuesday. We might see Alonso up against Fabregas and Mascherano against whoever they choose to partner Fabregas in midfield, most likely Denilson, Diaby or Song.

An advantage for us is that they have huge defensive problems at the minute in terms of injuries, although I don't know whether their main back line is going to be back or not in time for the game. Last night their backline was Eboue, Toure, Silvestre and Gibbs which is obviously pretty far from their first choice defenders.

Another advantage for us is that they are playing a crucial semi-final match against Chelsea on Saturday and therefore there is a chance their players could be tired going into our match on Tuesday, especially when taking into consideration their injury problems.

I personally feel that in almost every position on the pitch we have a better player and I think we should be able to see off Arsenal. I think the Torres and Gerrard combination could potentially rip them apart. Also the match being at Anfield obviously helps.

The club have said that they think Gerrard should be fit in time for this match, I hope so because we really do need to get a result from this.

I think we can expect to see this line-up (depending on the fitness of Aurelio I guess although I hold a large amount of confidence in Insua if he is asked to step him. He played very well against Arsenal at The Emirates).

Expected Liverpool Line-up

Reina
      Arbeloa Skrtel Carragher Aurelio

Alonso
                   Mascherano
      Kuyt                              Riera
                  Gerrard
                          Torres

Expected Arsenal Line-up (Depending on the fitness of injured players)

Fabianski

Eboue Toure Silvestre Gibbs

Fabregas Diaby
      Arshavin                    Nasri

Van Persie Adebayor

Carragher and Skrtel will deal with Van Persie and Adebayor.
      Aurelio and Arbeloa should be able to deal with Arshavin and Nasri.
      Alonso and Mascherano can take care of Fabregas and Diaby.
      Gerrard and Torres. Enough said really.

Liverpool home win.

Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 16, 2009 12:32:29 pm
      I reckon our team line-up should be: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera, Torres
      Compared to the Arse: Fabianski, Eboue, Toure, Silvestre, Gibbs, Fabregas, Song, Nasri, Arshavin, van Persie, Adebayor

Reina is better than Fabianski
      Arbeloa is better than Eboue
      Carragher is better than Toure
      Agger is better than Silvestre
      Aurelio is better than Gibbs
      Alonso is better than Fabregas currently
      Mascherano is better than Song
      Nasri is better than Riera
      Arshavin is better than Kuyt (just)
      Gerrard is better than van Persie
      Torres is better than Adebayor

On this basis, Liverpool win 9-2.  Divide by 2 and round down equals 4-1.

YNWA
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Apr 16, 2009 12:37:18 pm
      I don't really think Arshavin can be compared to Kuyt because they are completely different. Kuyt is a world apart in terms of his work ethic, but okay yeah for argument's sake :).

At least we still win!
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Apr 16, 2009 12:45:27 pm
      As the FA Cup/Champions League are their only chances for success and have a decent lead over Aston Villa in 4th place.. do you think Arsenal would be take some mind off the league game?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Apr 16, 2009 12:53:14 pm
      As the FA Cup/Champions League are their only chances for success and have a decent lead over Aston Villa in 4th place.. do you think Arsenal would be take some mind off the league game?

Well their not exactly going to go out to lose but yeah you may have a point. They could rest players or potentially lose focus a bit seeing as there isn't much for them to focus on anymore in the league.
      bigpowli
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 16, 2009 01:04:02 pm
      Hi all, first post.

I can see this being a turning point for the remainder of our season. Win = a must, and will give us the momentum to carry on and push the Mancs to the wire. Hate to say it, Lose = season over realistically. Draw = probably the same.

I saw Clayton Blackmore on Sky Sports this morning, writing MUFC off for the league, exclaiming that "Liverpool are getting all the luck at the moment so it's in their hands". I couldn't disagree more with that - it just takes one look at the table, and at the respective squads.

However, we won't be giving up just yet... so I see a difficult game and a 2-0 win. YNWA!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Apr 16, 2009 01:13:52 pm
      Too much emotion in our team to lose this. That massive roar when the players were introduced will lift them.

3-0 win.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Apr 16, 2009 01:16:26 pm

Charlie "Boy" George.

Michael Thomas.

This one ......... is ours.

Up The Arse  :lmao:
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #16: Apr 16, 2009 03:22:12 pm
      Here's what i'd play for this:

Reina
      Arbeloa   Carra   Agger   Insua
      Masch   Xabi
      Kuyt   Stevie   Dossena
      Nando

Dossena in for Riera (granted I didn't see the second leg of Chelski) but recently he hasn't been very good and the 1 game Andrea started at left wing I was very impressed.
      Insua in for Aurelio not really any reason, I suppose he's better defensively than Aurelio, and Arshavin can be tricky. Although I'm not bothered who plays there.

We'll edge it, I think. Expect a tight game. 4-0.
      redsonfire
      • Started Topic

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2009 03:29:14 pm
      We'll edge it, I think. Expect a tight game. 4-0.

;D you actually think that we'll edge it but 4-0 to us. Haha.
      zzlamezz123
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2009 04:48:32 pm
      We have to win all our remaining games from now on and this is definitely the toughest one...but i think we have enough quality to win it...I think we might win 2-0 ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2009 05:53:22 pm

No, I think Wenger hates Liverpool and is jealous of Benitez.  The last team he wants to win the title out of the trio is Liverpool.  He will field his strongest side and prepare them for nothing but a win and take Liverpool out of the title race.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 16, 2009 06:40:10 pm
      I think Insua will definetly start. Much more pace than Aurelio.
      I think Left wing is wide open: Riera, Dossena, Aurelio, Babel, benyaoun?

Everyone else is pretty obvious.
      I don't think Wenger will go easy on us, but they should be pretty tired with only 3 days to recover, and we have a week and a bit. We should be all over this!
      3-1
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #21: Apr 16, 2009 07:47:27 pm
      Good to have this topic open early, gives us something to look forward to! Anyway, think this match will definitely be one of the hardest we have left, if not the hardest. But, with all the emotion and momentum at the minute, think we should get a win. Torres is on a run at the minute so see him nicking 1 or 2! come on lads!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #22: Apr 16, 2009 08:27:18 pm
      I would be surprised if Insua started this game, Rafa will always opt for experience with big matches and with that in mind I think Aurelio will get the call. I think the line-up will be much what people expect unless there is a injury.

If there is one thing that should work in our favor is we should be fresher than them since they play 2 games in between this game.

Quick Reply