Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 11th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Bunking in. Right or wrong?

Read 6303 times
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Bunking in. Right or wrong?
      Apr 19, 2009 11:51:57 am
      I think I might of opened up a hornets nest last week, over the bunking in lark. It is a serious question because it has been part of my life since the 60's. I was brought up to bunk in by my peers at the game and it is a natural thing for me to do. It was openly discouraged by my parents and the Liverpool board. There must be a million stories of lads sitting next to the Royal families of Europe. I have many stories to share.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Re: Bunking in. Right or wrong?
      Reply #1: Apr 19, 2009 02:41:25 pm
      I think this would of been better off in the General Football Forum.

And for what it's worth, all that bunking lark could of caused serious problems in Athens.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #2: Apr 19, 2009 07:20:48 pm
      I think this would of been better off in the General Football Forum.

And for what it's worth, all that bunking lark could of caused serious problems in Athens.
         I think the trouble in Athens was caused by lines of police preventing legitimate ticket holders from entering the stadium. Once again the layout of the stadium was a disgrace. the organisation was little better. Nothing to do with bunking in i feel.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #3: Apr 19, 2009 08:21:13 pm
      I've already said my bit on this subject  :mad:

In a word...........Disgracef ul  :f_steam:
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Apr 19, 2009 08:22:52 pm
      At the risk of sounding stupid what is bunking in?
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #5: Apr 19, 2009 08:25:50 pm
      Haha, was just going to ask myself!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Apr 19, 2009 08:26:03 pm
      At the risk of sounding stupid what is bunking in?

Getting into the ground without paying  :mad:

Imagine if we all did that  :f_steam:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8685 
      Reply #7: Apr 19, 2009 08:34:29 pm
         I think the trouble in Athens was caused by lines of police preventing legitimate ticket holders from entering the stadium. Once again the layout of the stadium was a disgrace. the organisation was little better. Nothing to do with bunking in i feel.

Not quite true that seeing as most of my mates just walked through the checkpoints without getting their tickets checked. From their mouths (I jibbed it couldn't be arsed with the hassle), plenty were bunking in that night. Even worse were the horrible cu*ts robbing tickets off kids. Good job my brother and his mates didn't catch one of the lads that did that, they were gonna smash him everywhere. One of the lads said even worse was the bizzie stood there just laughing, well he wasn't a few minutes later when a can of ale twatted him in the face!
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #8: Apr 19, 2009 09:24:42 pm
      I saw one instance outside the ground where a rat snatched a ticket off a fan. believe me he would have been dealt with if caught, but there were a few fans who had no chance of qualifying for a ticket (myself included) and were determined to get in. We had been watching Liverpool in europe since the seventies, and suddenly it was becoming more difficult to get tickets. One reason was the increased popularity of our team from outside Liverpool. Another reason was the increased number of tickets handed to the corporates. Thousands of Elizabeth Taylors, Paris Hiltons and assorted gobshites with no interest in any team playing in the final. If they're getting in to watch MY team, then I'm not standing outside like the lollipop lady.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Apr 20, 2009 11:36:56 am
      I can understand why people do it. Because coorporate dicks who've never heard of Liverpool get tickets ahead of proper fans, but and a big but.
      Haven't we learnt, I know Hillsborough probably wasn't caused by this, but surely, surely we don't want another hillsorough.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #10: Apr 20, 2009 11:48:06 am
      I think I might of opened up a hornets nest last week, over the bunking in lark.

I don't think the timing helped.

Let's face it - 'bunking in' isn't just restricted to European games but to home games. Standing up in Champions League games in The Kop provides a perfect opportunity for people to pull all sorts of scams.  Maybe the club should stop printing duplicate tickets?

Anyway, I've never done it.  I don't agree with it for the principle that I may, ultimately, be preventing a genuine ticket holder from getting in.  Now I know full well a lot of ticket holders may well be part timers,  glory hunters - whatever - but the chance it could be holding back a genuine red is more than enough reason to think twice - not forgetting the potential impact on safety it could have.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: Apr 20, 2009 11:51:41 am
      Haven't we learnt, I know Hillsborough probably wasn't caused by this

There's no probably about it.  To be honest, this is another of the great lies from 20 years ago, that even by mentioning it shows that the great media lie still clouds people's judgement.

For the record, in the Leppings Lane end which I believe had a capacity of 13,000 - the number of fans inside that end were only 14 over the allocated number.  Hillsborough was NOT caused by the number of fans, but by the police penning the vast majority in to two central pens.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Apr 20, 2009 11:58:04 am
      Oh yeh I know that it wasn't. But it is possible that it could have contributed. I think everyone knows that it was the cops to blame, and also the designer for putting up the pens in the first place.

Quick Reply