Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Howard Webb

Read 32310 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Howard Webb
      Apr 22, 2009 03:35:25 pm
      Apparently has been given the job of reffing the FA Cup Final this season. I know he was our ref for the Arsenal game last night, but he is on a five year break from South Yorkshire police where he serves as a sergeant.

Now I did not know that!
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Re: Howard Webb
      Reply #1: Apr 25, 2009 12:53:28 pm
      I have no doubt that he's the best ref on the planet. Just firm and brings about that authority of his everytime. His stern look and a serious face also adds to his credit.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Apr 25, 2009 03:56:50 pm
      Hmm I don't know, he definately has his authority but some of his decision making is questionnable at times.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Apr 25, 2009 06:13:48 pm
      Hmm I don't know, he definately has his authority but some of his decision making is questionnable at times.

Yeah agreed. But he's better than Riley or Dowd or that c**t Styles. Their decision making is questionable constantly.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Apr 25, 2009 07:18:23 pm
      Hahaha bollocks to this thread.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #5: Apr 25, 2009 07:22:21 pm
      Tosser.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 25, 2009 07:25:52 pm
      Arsehole
      Ov3rdose
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,961 posts | 17 
      Reply #7: Apr 25, 2009 07:27:32 pm
      Bich
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 25, 2009 07:28:18 pm
      absolute disgrace not fit to ref a sunday league match
      tw*t
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #9: Apr 25, 2009 07:34:38 pm
      Yeah agreed. But he's better than Riley or Dowd or that c**t Styles. Their decision making is questionable constantly.

Take it back. He's sh*t.

I certainly hope he doesn't go back to being a police officer, dreadul decisions and punishments.
      CupidStunt
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 74 posts | -3 
      Reply #10: Apr 25, 2009 07:39:35 pm
      F***ing tosser w**ker b***ard arsehole
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Apr 25, 2009 07:40:36 pm
      I have no doubt that he's the best ref on the planet. Just firm and brings about that authority of his everytime. His stern look and a serious face also adds to his credit.

Retract this immediately!!
      lfc_gerrard
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 21 
      Reply #12: Apr 25, 2009 07:58:19 pm

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2009 09:01:44 pm by lfc_gerrard »
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 25, 2009 09:55:18 pm
      Is it this kind of coppers we have in the country?

Disgrace.

xxLiverPrinc3ssxx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,018 posts | 62 
      • *****YNWA*****
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2009 11:20:39 pm
      Take it back. He's sh*t.

I certainly hope he doesn't go back to being a police officer, dreadul decisions and punishments.

Wow, imagine he did?? Kinda scary to think that these are the kinda people we have in our police force...
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2009 11:58:32 pm
      Polish PM 'wanted to kill Howard Webb'

WARSAW, June 13 (Reuters) - Poland's prime minister said on Friday he felt like he wanted to kill Howard Webb when the English referee awarded the injury-time penalty that allowed Austria to snatch a 1-1 draw at Euro 2008.

Ivica Vastic's late equaliser on Thursday meant Poland had to settle for one point from their first two games in Group B.

'As the prime minister I have to be balanced and collected,' keen soccer fan Donald Tusk told reporters. 'But last night I was speaking very differently about the whole thing, I wanted to kill.

'Referees make mistakes and this was an obvious error that harmed us all. I thought it would have been better if we had lost in the first half when Austria had their chances and not after 93 minutes due to an obvious mistake.'

Austria missed three gilt-edged opportunities in the opening exchanges before Roger Guerreiro put Poland ahead when he was clearly offside in the 30th minute.

UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said Webb had made the correct decision about the penalty in a Friday news conference.

Polish radio reported that Webb may get police protection at home after receiving internet threats from members of Britain's large Polish community.

'We have been made aware of the threats to Howard Webb by the Polish media,' a South Yorkshire police spokesman told Reuters.

'We have not personally seen the internet threats but if they are genuine we will be investigating them and trying to locate the sites.

'Our boys I'm sure will be in touch with Howard. We are ready to do everything necessary to provide security for him and his family.'

Webb was based at Sheffield as a policeman but is taking a five-year break to concentrate on his refereeing career.

Poland now face a difficult task to qualify for the quarter-finals when they meet group winners Croatia in their final match in Klagenfurt on Monday.

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=546293&&cc=5739

Don't blame the PM
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #16: Apr 26, 2009 05:06:13 pm
      I've always questioned people when they've claimed that he's the best English ref. It's Wiley by a mile for me.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #17: Apr 26, 2009 05:45:43 pm
      I've always questioned people when they've claimed that he's the best English ref. It's Wiley by a mile for me.

I happen to agree with you after that sh*te display yesterday from webby, he was also crap in our game against Arsenal, worst too refereing displays ive seen from Howard he is usually very good but after this last couple I have to say Wiley is piping him for top spot.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #18: Apr 27, 2009 12:11:37 am
      :lmao:

'...that night, i wanted to kill' :D :D :D
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #19: Apr 27, 2009 11:39:59 pm
      Well well well, he was meant to be the referee for the FA Cup final this season... but the FA have decided he is not the right man...... Martin Atkinson wil now take charge of it.

solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #20: Apr 29, 2009 09:56:56 pm
      PISSING AGAINST THE WIND

Jeff Winter; 29 Apr 2009

I am sure that I have used this title before but what the hell. I can’t think of a better way to describe my feelings.

We live in a nasty world. People are not happy and the lack of money/jobs has put many people on edge.

A policeman friend of mine says that a long hot summer is not what is required as many expect violence as people lash out as their dissatisfaction with life festers and comes to a boil.

Whatever the reason, we are all angry and less tolerant of anything.

When it comes to football, we all know better. We can all pick better teams and know better tactics than the professionals and obviously, when it comes to referees, everybody knows how easy a job it is to do, and could do a darn site better than the “wankers” who control our matches at present.

Every week, I receive scores of emails. They are mostly on the same subject, just the names of the teams and senders change depending on which team has lost out due to a perceived dubious decision.

Much of these comments are fuelled by bias and belief of what the so-called experts have fed them with their factually incorrect comments.

However, there are many occasions, perhaps far too many occasions, when the officials have got it wrong. Human error is what it’s called - at least I hope that is what it is.

If I were to read and believe everything I see, it is part of a much bigger conspiracy against anyone outside the “Top Four”.

I call them that because despite being labelled the “Big Four”, they are actually, without doubt, the top four because they are a class apart from the rest.

Everton and Villa are creeping towards them and Spurs and Manchester City might have the finances to throw down a challenge eventually but the rest of the sides in the Premier League are purely there to make up the numbers.

Refereeing decisions - good, bad or indifferent - are not going to change what is a very predictable League.v Sure, the odd result here and there gives everybody hope but did anyone seriously think that the “Big Four” would not be the “Top Four”?

Following Saturday’s Manchester United v Spurs game I quickly received my first two emails:

From: Bad decisions DO NOT even themselves out over the season

So much for Howard Webb supposedly being the best Premiership official. He proved today that he is firmly in Man Utd's pocket.

Hi Jeff

How can one corrupt referee be allowed to change the course of the Premiership and will Howard Webb get a medal as part of Man Utd's title winning team?

Comments such as these are now common place. Indeed, this article will encourage more to spout their bile as they look for reasons why their own side did not win.

When a referee makes an honest decision and someone does not like it, then the answer is obvious; he is corrupt, bent, useless etc.

Grow up!! You sound as pathetic as a spoilt kid who has not got his way!!

Howard Webb has cost Liverpool the title, has he? To be honest, I don’t remember him playing up front for Liverpool in the home games when they failed to beat vastly inferior opposition. I also don't recall him starring in the defence that let Arsenal run riot last Tuesday night.

No, the ref has been and always will be the easy target.

Before everyone rants on and lists the 101 decisions that have gone against their side this season, think on and recall the ones that have gone your way as well.

Perhaps they do not even themselves out perfectly but then list the number of cock-ups that your side has made in defence and the number of goal chances that have been missed.

Are all the players who make these mistakes corrupt, or are they just useless?

Many state that there is too much money at stake and that video technology is the answer to everything. Well, if players did not cheat and dive at any given opportunity and if referees were perfect, then perhaps we would not need to bring that subject up after every decision.

It ain’t going happen because the authorities have said it won’t.

The clubs could not afford it anyway and it would kill the flow of the game. Most importantly, however, is that it would cost too many ex-players their lucrative jobs as 'experts'!!

The latest to emerge is Craig Burley, a poor man's Andy Gray, who spouted his bile whilst doing co-commentary with Jon Champion at the Manchester United v Spurs game.

It was "the penalty incident that changed the game" he said. Do me a favour, Manchester United were running them ragged and it was only a matter of time before Spurs capitulated and United ran away with it!!

According to Burley though, it was not a difficult decision - anyone could see it!!

Well, excuse me, but when you have watched an incident on numerous occasions from the benefit of an elevated position, and when you have slowed it down, then perhaps things might appear clearer. Ah ha, video technology - that would have sorted it!!

But was it a penalty or not? In my opinion - which is not borne out of bias for any club involved in the title race (actually I would have liked to see Liverpool win it!) - is that it was a penalty.

Howard Webb would see the keeper - the erratic Gomes by the way - throw himself at the feet of Carrick and then up-end him. Does anyone disagree that the keeper actually brought him down? Carrick did not dive, he was clattered.

Yet thanks to slow motion video technology, we can now see that the keeper actually got a touch on the ball which makes it alright. Or does it?

I thought that we had been educated by the Law makers - a point that Burley and Co. constantly forget - that if you take the ball and the man, it is reckless and therefore a foul.

It most certainly is when an outfield player does it and it is definitely the case if the incident occurs outside the penalty area.

So are there different rules for keepers and when offences occur inside the box? Don’t answer that one.

Whatever it was, the decision does not make the referee corrupt or a United supporter, although that is the easy option for the idiots who neither know nor care about the game, just the result.

Howard Webb is an excellent referee who, whilst not being perfect, has gained universal respect for how he controls games.

He has made and will make mistakes - all refs do (even Collina) - but he gets the majority of high profile games, both domestically and abroad, because of his ability.

Of the ten games between the "Big/Top Four" this season, he has taken charge of six of them, plus a whole host of other big derby games. This week he is officiating a UEFA Cup semi-final as well.

I know that he wanted to go on TV after Saturday’s game to put his point of view across but the authorities would not allow him to do so. This in itself tells a story.

Don’t get me wrong, if you have read my articles this season you will know that I feel very strongly that all is not well in the refereeing world. This is largely due to weak leadership and the lack of support from the authorities.

There are also some refs who, in my opinion, are not good enough to be doing the big games but as in all other aspects of life, their faces fit.

Some do seem to bottle it when it comes to making a decision against one of the big boys - more about Arsenal v Boro in my column for the Evening Gazette on Friday!!

However, Howard Webb most certainly does not fit into that category. He is an excellent official (in fact he is our best). He is an honest man who has worked very hard to get to where he is.

Perhaps the dickheads who describe people who do a job that they would never have the balls or ability to do themselves should think of that before throwing infantile comments around.

There you are, I am sure that my words will have changed many minds!! Or am I just pissing against the wind?

If you want to discuss any of my opinions get in touch via Jeff Winter's official website.

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/other/0809010.html
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #21: Apr 29, 2009 10:09:42 pm
      Celebrity Referees

Everton fans have been making referees famous since the 1970's, with Clive Thomas being the flag bearer for all who followed. His name is etched into Evertonian folklore with the likes of Dixie Dean, Duncan Ferguson and Preki. Fortunately for him, for all the right reasons, Collina was already the most famous referee on the planet before he disallowed a Duncan Ferguson goal at Villarreal.

But referees are no longer dependent on giving controversial decisions against Everton to make themselves a household name; they're doing all the hard work themselves these days.

There is recent controversy surrounding Howard Webb and his decision making, most notably because of his decision last weekend to award a penalty to Man Utd when they were 2-0 down at home to Tottenham. Everybody else on the planet seems to agree it was a bad decision and never a penalty, apart from the celebrity seeking ex-referee that is Jeff Winter.

This man has his own website, constantly getting involved in radio shows and appearing on TV, yet dared to criticise ex-players that appear on TV and radio shows to give their opinion in his latest little rant, as they're apparently trying to achieve celebrity status by doing so. How are their actions any different to yours then Mr.Winter you hypocrite.

Read here for what he has to say - (insert link to Jeff Winter's rant)

He defends that decision from Howard Webb, and it's just a shame we can't see him doing so in person, to see if he can do so without a smile across his face. Now this is my biggest criticism of referees; their refusal to hold their hands up and admit they were wrong. Everybody makes mistakes, and I don't buy into all this "he was bribed" nonsense, but if Howard Webb came out after the game and admitted he'd got it wrong, I don't think many would have an issue. Interestingly, Webb has spoken out today to admit his "mistake". There's a first. Albeit a few days too late.

Also, if a referee has a bad game they seem to be "demoted" down to a lower league, as has happened with Howard Webb this weekend. He's been taken off Premiership duties and given the task of refereeing the Reading v Birmingham fixture in The Championship. Is this meant to be some sort of punishment for poor performance? And if so, why punish the sides in the lower leagues with a below par referee? If he's not good enough to referee one game, then why is he deemed fit to take control of another? It makes no sense, happens all too often and solves nothing. All it does is indicate the authorities think he's not good enough to referee the more "important" games.

An interesting thing I took from Jeff Winter's column, is the claim that Webb wanted to explain his decision after the game, but was gagged by the authorities. They didn't want him appearing on TV explaining his decisions. Why? If you want the general public and the players to respect referees, then stop being so protective of them. Expose them to the public and build a relationship with the press, media and supporters. Allow open dialogue and maybe trust might start to improve.

We now have ex-referees sat in TV studios after games giving their analysis on decisions made; why not have the actual referees themselves explaining the decisions they've made? It seems more and more referees are now trying to raise their own profiles in order to attain a role within the media when they eventually hang up their whistles.

I'm not going to go on and blame that penalty decision for handing United the title; however, it certainly didn't help. It also does nothing to deflect attention away from the Blackburn appeals for a penalty he waved away at Old Trafford a few weeks back, or the poor refereeing display Webb put up at Anfield last week. That turn around was down to Tottenham's collapse and loss of discipline more than anything, albeit aided by that scandalous decision to set the ball rolling. If we don't win the title this season it will be down to home draws with the likes of Fulham, Hull, Stoke, Man City and Everton, not because of penalties being awarded at Old Trafford and poor refereeing.

Back to the point in hand; I don't think Howard Webb's corrupt at all. I do however think he's been influenced by Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United machine. Rafa Benitez claimed the pressure Ferguson puts onto referees and the authorities had to stop, and claimed he held too much power in his now infamous "rant" at the turn of the year. It wasn't a rant, it was a list of facts that have all been supported with evidence in the months that have followed. Can anyone challenge the truth in anything he said during that "rant"? I don't think so.

Players and managers are constantly charged by the FA for their comments towards referees, with the exception of Alex Ferguson. Why are players and managers charged anyway, when all they are doing is repeating what thousands of others are doing when leaving the grounds or watching on TV? Why are referees above criticism?

Jermaine Jenas spoke out at the weekend, repeating what the vast majority of us were thinking; yet he is being hauled in front of the FA for his choice of words. He stated that Webb was influenced by the pressure of the game, the atmosphere and the sum of all those parts. He decided he was going to give a penalty before he had time to think about it. The speed of Webb's decision to award the penalty did nothing to dismiss that theory.

Webb himself has come out today and said he seen Carrick touch the ball, Gomes go down, then gave the penalty. He stated he never saw Gomes touch the ball, yet gave the penalty instantly without any consultation from his linesman. To give a decision like that you have to be 100% you've got it right, and he's just admitted he never had a clear view of the incident. That credits exactly what Jenas was saying, he made the decision without thinking; so why should he be dragged over hot coals for voicing his opinion? It's a joke.

Mike Riley having his Manchester United connections called into question by "The Chosen One" being a recent example of where others can see the treatment United receive from some officials, however substantiated those claims are concerning "Stretford Mike", as he is known to his friends. Or maybe it's all just a ploy of his to ensure his celebrity status on retirement; at least he'll be famous for something.

Maybe one of the current referees could secure himself eternal celebrity status, by standing up to the empire that Ferguson has built and bring it down. Ferguson and his empire have held too much power over the referees in this country for far too long. Have any of them got the balls to stand up and be counted? I doubt it. Or they're probably not allowed to.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/fanzine_fanzone/2009/04/celebrity-referees.html

Here is someone with more sense!

kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Howard Webb
      Reply #22: Sep 13, 2010 04:15:39 pm
      Allegedly he has been given the game on Sunday

poor excuse of a referee, always gets the big call's wrong and is a bitter Manc,

Your feelings on this?

Quick Reply