Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Howard Webb

Read 32484 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Howard Webb
      Reply #46: Sep 20, 2010 12:14:23 am
      Its a interesting one. Would love to know the official verdict

I'm pretty certain it would've been a penalty. For arguments sake, say a player is lying down and he handles inside the box, but the rest of his body is outside the box, it would have to be a penalty.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #47: Sep 20, 2010 12:16:22 am
      I'm pretty certain it would've been a penalty. For arguments sake, say a player is lying down and he handles inside the box, but the rest of his body is outside the box, it would have to be a penalty.

That actually makes sense.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #48: Sep 20, 2010 07:16:13 am
      Man United deserved their win. I think Howard Webb didn't do badly at all.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #49: Sep 20, 2010 12:43:59 pm
      I didn't think he was too bad.

Should of been sent off. He acknowledged it was a foul, what he didn't acknowledge was he was the last man and should of been sent off.

He made the right call with the Carra handball. It was ball to arm, not arm to ball - therefore by definition, it was not a penalty even if it was in the box.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #50: Sep 22, 2010 02:28:38 pm
      Should have been a red, I don't know how it can be argued against. He was brought down by the last man when he was through on goal. Red card.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #51: Sep 22, 2010 02:31:15 pm
      He made the right call with the Carra handball. It was ball to arm, not arm to ball - therefore by definition, it was not a penalty even if it was in the box.

He got that right, yeah, I'll give him that.  But it is not like he did us a favour, just applied the rules properly for a change
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #52: Sep 22, 2010 02:33:11 pm
      Should have been a red, I don't know how it can be argued against. He was brought down by the last man when he was through on goal. Red card.

Was speaking to an arsenal fan yesterday, he said, last man, blatant red, no question
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #53: Sep 22, 2010 02:42:22 pm
      It wasn't a red in my opinion, more clumsy than anything. Yellow was the right decision  :D
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #54: Sep 22, 2010 02:43:31 pm
      Was speaking to an arsenal fan yesterday, he said, last man, blatant red, no question

He's wrong.  Last man isn't an automatic red - it's become the general basis or norm of what distinguishes a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity, which is the red card offence.  Howard Webb was fully within his rights to issue either a yellow or red card as he saw fit.  The last man rule isn't actually a rule.  So tell your Arsenal mate to read the rules before trying to enforce them.  

Me personally, I would have issued a direct red (even if there was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that VDS would have collected the ball from Torres), but I'm a strict referee.  I deem a last man tackle when the attacker is facing the goal as a denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity regardless and I am well within my rights to do so.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #55: Sep 22, 2010 02:43:54 pm
      It wasn't a red in my opinion, more clumsy than anything. Yellow was the right decision  :D

Of course it was clumsy, no-one is saying it was a bad foul or malicious, but it was a foul, he stopped a clear goal-scoring chance and he was the last man - deffo red.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #56: Sep 22, 2010 02:45:59 pm
      He's wrong.  Last man isn't an automatic red - it's become the general basis or norm of what distinguishes a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity, which is the red card offence.  Howard Webb was fully within his rights to issue either a yellow or red card as he saw fit.  The last man rule isn't actually a rule.  So tell your Arsenal mate to read the rules before trying to enforce them. 

Me personally, I would have issued a direct red (even if there was no doubt in my mind whatsoever that VDS would have collected the ball from Torres), but I'm a strict referee.  I deem a last man tackle when the attacker is facing the goal as a denial of an obvious goalscoring opportunity regardless and I am well within my rights to do so.

Yeah, it was a clear goal scoring chance, we said that, just too lazy to type it.  See above :) I should have elaborated.  Anyway, Nando had the ball, therefore it was a goalscoring chance ;)
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #57: Sep 22, 2010 02:49:41 pm

Normally I don't have any gripes with what you say, you seem to know your stuff, but I have to disagree with you here. How can it not be red when he's brought down by the last man with a clear goal scoring chance?

Anywhere but OT and that's a red 100% of the time.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #58: Sep 22, 2010 02:55:37 pm
      Yeah, it was a clear goal scoring chance, we said that, just too lazy to type it.  See above :) I should have elaborated.  Anyway, Nando had the ball, therefore it was a goalscoring chance ;)

We think it was a clear goal scoring chance - Howard Webb obviously didn't (I'm guessing it's to do with how quickly VDS scooped the ball up afterwards) and the point I'm trying to make is he is well within his jurisdiction and is 100% keeping within the laws of the game by issuing a card, either yellow or red and that's really all there is to it.  The last man rule isn't actually a rule though, so you can't base an argument on it.

Do I think he bottled it?  No, given the fact he was letting the game flow and being a little loose about fouls the entire game and to both sides equally.  If a ref is consistently strict or consistently lax, I'm fine with it.  If a ref is strict to one team and not to the other, that's not ok with me.  I do think however he should have issued Nani a booking for simulation though.

I do like this automatic red card everytime Nando's got the ball and he's fouled though, because when you think about it that way - it really is an obvious goalscoring chance, isn't it? :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #59: Sep 22, 2010 04:03:05 pm
      Normally I don't have any gripes with what you say, you seem to know your stuff, but I have to disagree with you here. How can it not be red when he's brought down by the last man with a clear goal scoring chance?

Anywhere but OT and that's a red 100% of the time.

Its only my opinion, i don't always get it right  ;D However, VITEZ explains it perfectly  :)

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #60: Sep 22, 2010 04:05:41 pm
      vitez

Are you really a referee?
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #61: Sep 22, 2010 07:03:27 pm

He's Howard Webb.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #62: Sep 23, 2010 01:34:52 am

Yes, but only for the young ones on a Saturday afternoon - hardly worth writing home about.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #63: Sep 23, 2010 08:37:00 am
      Yes, but only for the young ones on a Saturday afternoon - hardly worth writing home about.

Reply 54 doesn't say that  ;D
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #64: Sep 23, 2010 09:09:45 am
      We think it was a clear goal scoring chance - Howard Webb obviously didn't (I'm guessing it's to do with how quickly VDS scooped the ball up afterwards) and the point I'm trying to make is he is well within his jurisdiction and is 100% keeping within the laws of the game by issuing a card, either yellow or red and that's really all there is to it.  The last man rule isn't actually a rule though, so you can't base an argument on it.

Okay, interesting.  I've been trying to find it online to watch it back again, but can't find anything.

Regarding consistency, why did he send of Mascherano last year then?  Surely that was a similar situation (ignoring the fact that Masch let go outside of the box)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #65: Sep 23, 2010 10:41:22 pm
      Okay, interesting.  I've been trying to find it online to watch it back again, but can't find anything.

Regarding consistency, why did he send of Mascherano last year then?  Surely that was a similar situation (ignoring the fact that Masch let go outside of the box)

Me too, couldn't find nada.  He got it wrong last year, I would have rewarded Mascherano for being smart in how he committed his professional foul as he let go once the box approaches.  At the end of the day, he's human and prone to errors - it's been like that for 85,000 years, people are going to make mistakes, it sucks balls when it's your team on the wrong end of it but at the same token I remember my greatest night as a football fan, the ref certainly helped us on our way (Istanbul 2005).  Adds to the passion and excitement of football, it's a beautiful game with so many emotions, it's like life itself - you get your ups and downs.

Consistency is relative and people are subject to change, looking at player's form as an example.  You usually gauge it over any given period, for example we say Maxi hasn't been hitting his best of late or Reina was great last year (whereas he's made a couple of mistakes this year, not having a dig at the man - would marry him if I could).  Webb made a mistake last year IMHO, but his mistake was to do with not realising Masch let go before Nani (was it Nani?) marauded into the box, this year he was much better.  So to answer your question, I think he got it wrong last year.
      red-machine
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 151 posts |
      The Official Howard Webb Is A Tw*t Thread!
      Reply #66: Jan 09, 2011 02:44:41 pm
      Sorry mods had to start this because i am so pissed off that Howard Sucks Fergies f***in Cock Webb gets every single match we play against the scum and he fucks us up royally every single time!

Feel free to add to my anger and hit the thanks if you like this thread!

Please leave this up mods im sure a lot of people are ready to contribute!
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Re: The Official Howard Webb Is A Tw*t Thread!
      Reply #67: Jan 09, 2011 02:54:59 pm
      Webb is just carring on the Man U favouritism Mike Riley always did for the mancs ,who decides what refs for what games yes youve guessed it Riley
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Re: The Official Howard Webb Is A Tw*t Thread!
      Reply #68: Jan 09, 2011 03:02:07 pm
      Yes he is...no need for a thread though

Quick Reply