Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Hull City v Liverpool - pre match thread

Read 19840 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Hull City v Liverpool - pre match thread
      Apr 23, 2009 08:20:18 pm
      Saturday 25th April
      3pm kick off

Less than 48 hours to go until the kick off of another vital must win game for the reds.

I'll be interested to see if Insua and Skrtel start this one ahead of Fabio and Agger. Nothing else other than the league now so it's not as if players will be rested for another competition.

We all know mistakes happen in football. And there were mistakes made in the last game. Will be interesting to see if anyone is a casualty of those mistakes on Saturday as well too.

First player on my teamsheet would be Yossi..

Some stats for the stato's:

This is Liverpool's first visit to the Kingston Communications Stadium.

Their last visit to the city saw them win 5-1 at Boothferry Park in a League Cup tie in September 1999.

The last league meeting in Hull came in January 1960 when a first half Jimmy Melia goal gave the Reds a 1-0 win.

Earlier this season Hull came to Anfield and drew 2-2. They were two up inside 22 minutes thanks to Paul McShane and a Jamie Carragher own goal. Within ten minutes the scores were level thanks to two Steven Gerrard strikes.

Liverpool have never lost to Hull in any of the 13 meetings in all competitions with the Reds winning ten.

Only one Liverpool player has ever scored a hat-trick against the Tigers. Ian Callaghan scored all the Reds goals in a 3-1 League Cup Replay at Anfield in December 1973 with the game being played on a weekday afternoon to conserve power.

Liverpool have won 10 times on the road in the league this season. Only Chelsea with 11 have won more.

One more point will give the Reds their highest number won in a season under Rafa Benitez away from home. In 2005-06 they won 10 and drew four as they have done so far this campaign.

Hull have not won at home in the last eight games picking up just three points in that time.

However, on their travels they have won at Arsenal, drawn at Chelsea and Liverpool and though losing at Manchester United still scored three times.

The match and post match thread from this fixture at home last year, can be read here
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Hull v Liverpool - pre match thread
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2009 08:21:36 pm
      Insua in.

Fingers crossed on Gerrard, although Benayoun deserves to stay - as does Kuyt. Decisions decisions.

Shame Benny can't play on the left.
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Re: Hull City v Liverpool - pre match thread
      Reply #2: Apr 23, 2009 08:28:02 pm
      0-2 liverpool  place ya bets now  :P
      john jones
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 23, 2009 08:31:01 pm
      0-4 we are going to put the pressure on.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Apr 23, 2009 08:34:33 pm
      I'm pretty sure we're going to get a very positive reaction from the disappointment of the result on Tuesday so I'm pretty confident.

This game is a little bit too early for Gerrard I think so I'll play Yossi behind Torres, Kuyt on the right and Dossena on the left with Insua at full back.

When do United play by the way? Is our kick off earlier so we can pile the pressure back on?
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #5: Apr 23, 2009 08:34:56 pm
                      Reina
      Arbeloa Skrtel Carragher Aurelio

Alonso
                   Mascherano
      Kuyt                              Riera
                  james08kop
                          Torres
      james08kop
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -2 
      Reply #6: Apr 23, 2009 08:39:45 pm
      I'm pretty sure we're going to get a very positive reaction from the disappointment of the result on Tuesday so I'm pretty confident.

This game is a little bit too early for Gerrard I think so I'll play Yossi behind Torres, Kuyt on the right and Dossena on the left with Insua at full back.

When do United play by the way? Is our kick off earlier so we can pile the pressure back on?

530pm they play
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Apr 23, 2009 09:04:17 pm
      Whats the craic with Stevie for this one? Apart from Stevie my only change would be Insua for Riera with Aurelio pushed on

We will surely score 4 but a 1 nil win will do thanks  ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Apr 23, 2009 09:18:40 pm

Good. Gives us another chance to pile on the pressure as I said.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 23, 2009 09:20:23 pm
      Reina
      Arbeloa Carragher Agger Insua
      Alonso Macherano
      Kuyt Benayoun Babel
      Torres

This is a good team, more then capable of beating Hull City. Babel,Kuyt and Benayoun are all more then capable of swapping around playing in any of the three positions behind Torres.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #10: Apr 23, 2009 09:24:15 pm
      Stevie sounded pretty positive when asked on tuesday whether he'd be fit so hopefully things turn out well and we have him back.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #11: Apr 23, 2009 09:26:11 pm
      I can see a goal-fest in this match, but this time all the goals are ours. ;)

5-0 i'm going for, with or without Stevie. Although i hope he's fit enough, we miss him.

Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #12: Apr 23, 2009 09:37:20 pm
      3-1 Liverpool, Torres (2) and Babel/Riera (Whoever plays on the Left)
      King of the Kop
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 59 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 23, 2009 09:39:43 pm
      Well Boy's i'm going for 4-0! Purely cos our boy El Nino Torres will rip the tiger's to shreds,
      4-4 WITH Arsenal I rubbed my eye's I couldn't believe it!! well done to the lad's for getting back into the game like they did.

Hull City beware cos the back lash is coming And it will be you that get's it to boot!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Apr 23, 2009 09:43:18 pm
      Got a feeling Torres will be getting his 50th competitive goal for us in this fixture.

Am i right in saying this is our last 3pm kick off this season? (not that we had many anyway :D)
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 23, 2009 09:50:41 pm
                                       Reina
                    Arbeloa    Carragher  Agger   Insua
                                Masch         Alonso
                      Benayoun      Gerrard      Dosenna
                                      Torres
      Yossi  to partner Nando upfront if Stevie unfit. Kuyt & Reira to come on when game getting stretched
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 23, 2009 09:50:53 pm
      The Liverpool XI for the game against Hull City at Anfield on Saturday, 25th April (hopefully): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Benayoun, Babel, Torres. (4-2-3-1)

Subs: Cavlieri, Skrtel, Aurelio, Dossena, el Zhar, Riera, N'gog.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 23, 2009 09:57:14 pm
      Stevie sounded pretty positive when asked on tuesday whether he'd be fit so hopefully things turn out well and we have him back.

I wouldn't rush him back unless he is 100% on the bench though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Apr 23, 2009 09:57:38 pm
      Let's face it, we didn't really expect to get 3 points from every single one of our last games, Arsenal hopefully will be the one that we did drop points, at least though it wasn't all 3.

Time to put the pressure right back on United, 3 points is exactly what we need and we'll get it, I just don't think the lads will F**k this one up.

Hopefully Gerrard back, if not I think Benayoun has proved he is more than capable of covering for him.

C'mon the reds!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Apr 23, 2009 10:08:38 pm
      Hopefully the inflammation on Gerrard's testes will have soothed enough that he can close his legs. Because otherwise, he won't be able to run and therefore he won't be able to play ;)

I think a nice 2-0 or 3-1 win for us will do nicely, followed by defeat for the mancs, two red cards and broken legs for several of their players... :)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Apr 23, 2009 10:13:09 pm
      I think a nice 2-0 or 3-1 win for us will do nicely, followed by defeat for the mancs, two red cards and broken legs for several of their players... :)

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Surely a nice 4-0 or 5-0 win will do for us?....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Apr 23, 2009 10:21:06 pm
      Gerrard not ready so it's hands to the pump, so play with your heads and the heart will follow, the last thing I want to watch is us being gung ho, unless it's called for in the final 15mins. My blood pressure can't take anymore.

I hope insua is back and in this I go along with Brian and would push up Aurelio in place of Riera, otherwise same team again.

kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 23, 2009 10:22:11 pm
      I'm definitely more confident going to places like the kc stadium than i would have been say 2 seasons or more ago. Even though hull are scraping for survival, our lads are after maturing enough and are playing such a good brand of attacking football at the moment, that we should see this one through. Not sure about scoring 4 though. A nice 2-0 will do with nando netting 1st to get onto 50 goals.

Quick Reply