Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Golf

Read 111768 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Golf
      Reply #322: Jul 22, 2013 02:15:42 am
      Well done Phil. Great win by a great guy and a great golfer.

Tiger who?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #323: Jul 22, 2013 08:05:21 am
      I was hoping Westwood would do it but Phil was my next choice.

Great round yesterday to clinch it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #324: Jul 22, 2013 10:02:23 am

Yeah this all over

LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #325: Jul 22, 2013 11:28:44 am

Tiger who?

Agree, mate .  Lefty is defo a class act.  Anyone see the presser afterwards? He had his hand on the trophy the entire time, like he never wanted the moment to end. 

Heard if he wins a US Open , he would be one of only 6 golfers to win all 4 majors. Always find myself rooting for him, and he just came out of nowhere yesterday. What a great round.  Thought Poulter had a chance after that great little run he had there, but it was Phil's day.

As for Tiger , man, he hasnt won a major since when, 2008? I think.  What happened , he looked like a shoe in to pass Nicklaus' record 18 majors. But now , he's been on 14 for 5 yrs.  With all the good up and comers I don't think he' s gonna make it. 5 more is a lot at his age.

Great tourney, I enjoy watching links style golf, damn those pot bunkers are hell. And the tall grass, better hit some fairways or forget about winning.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #326: Jul 22, 2013 08:39:42 pm
      Congrats to Phil. He is easily my favorite golfer.  He never has an attitude, he plays to win and he seems like a great person. I dont know anyone who doesnt like Phil.

I watched the last 2 days, Sat/Sun.  Muirfield is a weird, deceptively hard course. I dont understand how its such a tough course. Its has wide open fairways, large greens, minimal bunkers, no water and the bunkers are the deep, links style bunker but theyr'e not all over the place.

I would think as long as the weather is decent that it would be a fairly routine course but its just a monster. I dont get it. Its not as difficult as Bethpage Black or Marion but hitting par is almost impossible.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #327: Jul 22, 2013 11:54:49 pm
      Gutted that Mickelson won the Open, don't know why but I can't stand the guy.  Whenever there's a major golf tournament I hope that anybody but him wins it.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #328: Jul 23, 2013 12:02:13 am
      Gutted that Mickelson won the Open, don't know why but I can't stand the guy.  Whenever there's a major golf tournament I hope that anybody but him wins it.

I used to think I didn't like Mickleson Debs but before this Open and reading a bit about him and listening to a few interviews I quite warmed to him.

Badly wanted Westwood to win after he got into such a good position after Day three but the inevitable happened on the last day for him and he may well be another Monty.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #329: Jul 23, 2013 12:11:49 am
      I used to think I didn't like Mickleson Debs but before this Open and reading a bit about him and listening to a few interviews I quite warmed to him.

Badly wanted Westwood to win after he got into such a good position after Day three but the inevitable happened on the last day for him and he may well be another Monty.

I didn't watch any of this years Open mate, the cricket took precedence but I agree about Westwood, one of the best players in the World but could possibly never win a major.

My aversion to Mickleson includes never reading or listening to anything about him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #330: Jul 23, 2013 01:14:06 am
      Mickelson's wife had breast cancer which obviously affected his career as he helped care for her, he's not a rah-rah guy but a true family man. Flew out to his see his daughter graduate 8th grade and flew back the night before the U.S. Open.

You won't find a nicer guy in all of golf and probably in most of sport.

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't like him.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #331: Jul 23, 2013 10:12:02 am
      Yeah I agree FL

Phil always comes across as a lovely bloke.

And anyone who plays the game can only watch in awe at what he does with his wedges.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #332: Jul 23, 2013 12:08:44 pm
      Yeah I agree FL

Phil always comes across as a lovely bloke.

And anyone who plays the game can only watch in awe at what he does with his wedges.

That flop shot he plays is ridiculous PD. I've tried to practice it for when I play but I never have the guts to try it when I am keeping a scorecard ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #333: Jul 23, 2013 05:23:34 pm
      That flop shot he plays is ridiculous PD. I've tried to practice it for when I play but I never have the guts to try it when I am keeping a scorecard ;D

Damn right mate..

What i love is how he has about 3 wedges in his bag every round so he has the exact loft for any situation.

I remember seeing him one shot in a comp a few years back where he hit a high loft in, probably a 64, and he got that much spin on it it literally stopped and set spining on the spot for a few seconds.

Look at this one, (i couldnt find the one i was talking about)... Anyone who plays knows how tough this is..

Id be bumping with a 9 iron safely all day

Phil Michelson Flop Shot

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #334: Jul 23, 2013 06:09:29 pm
      Damn right mate..

What i love is how he has about 3 wedges in his bag every round so he has the exact loft for any situation.

I remember seeing him one shot in a comp a few years back where he hit a high loft in, probably a 64, and he got that much spin on it it literally stopped and set spining on the spot for a few seconds.

Look at this one, (i couldnt find the one i was talking about)... Anyone who plays knows how tough this is..

Id be bumping with a 9 iron safely all day

Phil Michelson Flop Shot

That's just stupid skill and touch right there.

You prompted me to look up some of his flop shots...look at this and tell me how foolish it is that someone can do this....

Don't hit me in the nuts Phil

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #335: Jul 23, 2013 06:11:51 pm
      Seriously.....he hits this shot and it goes backwards.....

WTF
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #336: Jul 07, 2014 09:03:26 pm
      So a couple weeks back a buddy of mine wanted to see how many holes of golf we could play in a day. We started at 6:45am and played all day, finally having to quit around 6:30pm due to Thunderstorms. We finished 63 holes and likely would have gotten in 72 had the weather not stopped us.

I started with a 90, the next round was 100 and I went downhill from there. Was a lot of fun and next year we are going to do it again and shoot for finishing 72.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #337: Jul 08, 2014 09:25:55 am
      looking forward to seeing Phil at Hoylake next week. the mans a genius and a fraud as he isn't actually left handed he just plays that way which makes him even more remarkable. Nice story about John Singleton who is a local lad who has come through qualifying.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #338: Feb 03, 2015 02:43:16 pm
      Open Championship: Sky wins rights; BBC to show highlights
      Sky will broadcast the Open Championship from 2017 after winning exclusive live rights.

The broadcaster has signed a five-year deal to show the oldest of golf's major championships, the R&A announced.
      The BBC, which has previously broadcast the tournament live, will now show a two-hour daily highlights package between 20:00 and 22:00.
      The BBC will show this year's Open at St Andrews and the 2016 tournament at Royal Troon live on television.

From 2017, the BBC will continue to provide live radio coverage of the tournament on BBC Radio 5 live, and to cover the tournament online.

Director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater said: "We're obviously disappointed that we were unable to retain live TV coverage of The Open Championship.

"However, we're pleased to be continuing our 60-year partnership with the R&A and feel that a comprehensive two-hour highlights programme - a format which has already proven successful - in a prime-time slot over four days will allow us to continue to bring all the best action and key moments from The Open to a large free-to-air audience on TV, radio and online."

Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A said: "We have enjoyed a long and successful relationship with the BBC and, although the nature of that relationship is changing from 2017, we are delighted that the BBC will broadcast prime-time highlights and that the Championship will continue to benefit from extensive live coverage on Radio 5 Live and online.

"Importantly, the new agreement will enable us to increase substantially our support for golf in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
      "That our increased commitment to golf in both countries is to be supported by both Sky Sports and the BBC is a hugely positive step for our sport."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/31114083

This does not affect me as I don't watch golf, and I don't subscribe in "Believe in Better"

But yet again Sky is buying another top sports event. I suspect the populous will loose interest in this as they have done with cricket and rugby.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #339: Feb 03, 2015 04:26:25 pm
      Open Championship: Sky wins rights; BBC to show highlights
      Sky will broadcast the Open Championship from 2017 after winning exclusive live rights.

The broadcaster has signed a five-year deal to show the oldest of golf's major championships, the R&A announced.
      The BBC, which has previously broadcast the tournament live, will now show a two-hour daily highlights package between 20:00 and 22:00.
      The BBC will show this year's Open at St Andrews and the 2016 tournament at Royal Troon live on television.

From 2017, the BBC will continue to provide live radio coverage of the tournament on BBC Radio 5 live, and to cover the tournament online.

Director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater said: "We're obviously disappointed that we were unable to retain live TV coverage of The Open Championship.

"However, we're pleased to be continuing our 60-year partnership with the R&A and feel that a comprehensive two-hour highlights programme - a format which has already proven successful - in a prime-time slot over four days will allow us to continue to bring all the best action and key moments from The Open to a large free-to-air audience on TV, radio and online."

Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A said: "We have enjoyed a long and successful relationship with the BBC and, although the nature of that relationship is changing from 2017, we are delighted that the BBC will broadcast prime-time highlights and that the Championship will continue to benefit from extensive live coverage on Radio 5 Live and online.

"Importantly, the new agreement will enable us to increase substantially our support for golf in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
      "That our increased commitment to golf in both countries is to be supported by both Sky Sports and the BBC is a hugely positive step for our sport."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/31114083

This does not affect me as I don't watch golf, and I don't subscribe in "Believe in Better"

But yet again Sky is buying another top sports event. I suspect the populous will loose interest in this as they have done with cricket and rugby.

The Open is one event that I always thought was guaranteed being free to air.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #340: Feb 03, 2015 04:42:43 pm
      The Open is one event that I always thought was guaranteed being free to air.

Same here Si, pissed me off when I heard about this this morning.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #341: Apr 09, 2015 10:07:15 pm
      Jordan Spieth absolutely tearing it up at Augusta right now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #342: Apr 09, 2015 10:11:03 pm
      Love The Masters.

Any highlights on tonight on BBC?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #343: Apr 09, 2015 10:13:10 pm
      He's now two birdies away from the first ever 10 under round in major history.

Love The Masters.

Any highlights on tonight on BBC?

Nothing tonight mate, think it's on tomorrow morning and at 7pm. Saturday and Sunday are live on BBC I believe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #344: Apr 09, 2015 10:17:03 pm
      He's now two birdies away from the first ever 10 under round in major history.

Nothing tonight mate, think it's on tomorrow morning and at 7pm. Saturday and Sunday are live on BBC I believe.

Aye. Just seen that.

I'll definitely see the Sat/Sun shows.

Quick Reply