Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Liverpool V Newcastle Pre Match Thread

Read 20737 times
      MsGerrard
      Liverpool V Newcastle Pre Match Thread
      Apr 30, 2009 12:03:52 pm
      Sunday 3rd May at Anfield. 1.30 K.O

LIVERPOOL V NEWCASTLE: STAT ATTACK

Ged Rea 30 April 2009

Here are all the important pre-match stats and facts ahead of the visit of Newcastle United this weekend.
      Liverpool V Newcastle Premier League

# Head to head: (League only)
      At Anfield: Liverpool 48 wins, Newcastle 11 wins, Draws 14.
      Overall: Liverpool 70 wins, Newcastle wins 40, Draws 37.

# This season Liverpool won 5-1 at Newcastle back in December. Steven Gerrard scored twice with Sami Hyypia, Ryan Babel and Xabi Alonso (penalty) also scoring. David Egdar scored United’s goal.

# In five of Liverpool’s last six wins over Newcastle Steven Gerrard has scored. He now has six goals in total against them.

# Dirk Kuyt scored his first Liverpool goal against Newcastle in the fixture on this ground in September 2006.

# Liverpool have won 18 and lost seven of the 31 Premier League meetings between the sides.

# The Reds 5-1 win at St James last December was Liverpool’s biggest ever win on Tyneside.

# Home and away Liverpool have won six of the last seven meetings scoring 19 goals in the process.

# Steven Gerrard's next goal will be his 118th for the club, placing him joint 12th with Ian St John in the club’s all-time goalscoring list.

# Liverpool are just one goal short of recording 300 in the Premier League under Rafa Benitez.

# Liverpool's next goal will be their 50th in all competitions at Anfield this season.

# Dirk Kuyt is one goal away from equalling his best tally in a Liverpool shirt. He scored 14 in all competitions in 2006-07.

# Liverpool's biggest League win here over Newcastle came in August 1967-the Reds winning 6-0. Their heaviest defeat by Newcastle on this ground was by a 5-1 margin in December 1907.

# The last Liverpool player to score a hat-trick in this fixture was Michael Owen in a 3-0 win here in May 2001. Michael had previously achieved the feat for the Reds at St James’.

# There has been only one goalless draw at Anfield between the sides in the last 79 years. That came in February 1970. In all meetings home and away there hasn't been one since February 1974 - a run of 49 games.

# Liverpool have won 12 and drawn two of the last 14 Anfield league meetings.

# The Reds have scored 34 goals in the last 13 League meetings with Newcastle at Anfield.

# Ryan Babel's last goal for Liverpool came in the win at St James Park in December.

# Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have started just 11 Premier League games together this season scoring 14 goals between them in those matches.

# Torres has scored 49 goals in 81 games for the Reds. If he scores he will achieve the feat in the 6th quickest number of games for the club.

# A victory will give Liverpool their third league ‘double’ over the Magpies in the last four seasons.

# If Liverpool score four times it will be the first time in 28 years they have done so in four successive home league games and only the 7th time ever.

# The Reds current tally of 66 goals is one short of the Reds best ever tally under Rafa Benitez in a league campaign, which they achieved last season. Two goals will give them their highest league total for eight years.

# Going into this weekend’s fixtures only Aston Villa (21) had used fewer players than Liverpool’s 23.

***********************************************************************************

Yet another vitally important game in our quest for number 19.

Pleased that Stevie will be back for this fixture, even though Newcastle are struggling terribly, I still want to see Rafa put out a strong team and would be more than happy to see a repeat of last night's Reserve fixture win of 5-1 against the Geordie's......and of course the same scoreline from St. James Park earlier on this season.

I think we have a full squad to pick from, so Rafa will be spoilt for choice, as Nemeth didn't play last night, I would love to think that Rafa is thinking about putting him on the bench.

With only one home game left after this one  :( where's the season gone to  :o three points is vital again to keep the pressure on manure and lots of goals will help the goal difference.

I'm travelling up to this game, which may probably be my last game this season  :(

Roll on July with the pre-season.

Good luck Liverpool, one final push now lads and we can still do this.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: Liverpool V Newcastle Pre Match Thread
      Reply #1: Apr 30, 2009 12:13:07 pm
      Ours for the taking really. They are a poor side and although they are fighting for survival we really should beat these, especially at Anfield. If we can beat them 5-1 At St. James' Park then we can do the same at home.

Come on Liverpool.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #2: Apr 30, 2009 12:37:37 pm
      I can foresee another goals galore in Anfield...4-0 drubbing of Newcastle!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #3: Apr 30, 2009 12:54:01 pm
      we need to put newcastle to the sword and smash as many as possible.

the leauge could go to goal difference.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #4: Apr 30, 2009 12:58:14 pm
      we need to put newcastle to the sword and smash as many as possible.

the leauge could go to goal difference.

Definately, if we get another big win United will be shitting it. They know just as much as us the importance of goal difference this season and we currently have the advantage on that.
      flafson
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts |
      Reply #5: Apr 30, 2009 01:13:16 pm
      I want to see Kuyt, Stevie, Yossi and Torres play together on the front.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #6: Apr 30, 2009 01:16:03 pm
      All depends on Rafa mate! I wish they go and tore Newcastle defence apart, be ruthless and predatorial inside the 6 yard box. Then we can see not even 4 but 7 goals past hapless Newcastle.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #7: Apr 30, 2009 01:16:48 pm
      Nothing to lose. Just go all out and try to score alot of goals to up our goal difference and of course, try to keep a clean sheet, ;D. Hopefully we can score like 4 or more but I'd like to see 10!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Apr 30, 2009 01:17:00 pm
      I'm forecasting 6-0  ;D
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #9: Apr 30, 2009 01:20:40 pm
      Wow! a bit ambitious but achievable there MsG
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #10: Apr 30, 2009 01:24:31 pm
      One of my best friends is a Geordie and he, along with many other Toon fans are brushing this one aside, Newcastle have their priorities on Borough at home.

Cant see Newcastle getting anything other than a -4 for their visit to Anfield.

4-0 for me. 
      MsGerrard
      Reply #11: Apr 30, 2009 01:36:17 pm
      Wow! a bit ambitious but achievable there MsG

Yeah I know.....but if we can score 5 at St.James Park, I'm sure we can go one better at home, and with Stevie back firing on all cylinders, Torres will be rampant on Sunday I reckon  ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #12: Apr 30, 2009 01:37:37 pm
      One of my best friends is a Geordie and he, along with many other Toon fans are brushing this one aside, Newcastle have their priorities on Borough at home.

Cant see Newcastle getting anything other than a -4 for their visit to Anfield.

4-0 for me. 
      still have to bo on our guard,cant afford any slip ups or suprises,newcastle are still a threat,so we must deal with them as that.
      cant let these mugs stop our chance for the 19th.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #13: Apr 30, 2009 01:40:47 pm
      Right now we have Yossi, Alonso, Kuyt and some other who can score. So Newcastle should be worried. I don't see them solid in defense and the way we're playing right now, it's like a David Jr vs Goliath come this Sunday.
      KOYFP
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts | -3 
      Reply #14: Apr 30, 2009 01:46:44 pm
      Liverpool 4 Newcastle 0

no matter how much i try i can't see anything other than a rout, infact just the four is being optimistic from a United point of view.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 30, 2009 02:08:58 pm
      I have no doubt that we'll win this going on our last few performances. I feel we need to keep a clean sheet this time however to regain some confidence in defense. Heard that Stevie is back which will obviously help things. I'll go for 3-0.
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #16: Apr 30, 2009 02:13:12 pm
      with all these predictions of 3s and 4s am gona a say a nice easy 2-0 torres double
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #17: Apr 30, 2009 02:16:20 pm
      I don't know what to expect but I know that there has not been a 0-0 result for a long time between the two clubs. I can see this being a 4-1 game, Kuyt double, Torres and Aurelio
      passenger815
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 30, 2009 02:20:14 pm
      This was a match that 3-4 weeks ago I thought might be a tricky one come this tage of the season, with Newcastles supposed firepower and the fact they would be fighting for survival, but having seen how toothless they've looked in the last few weeks against Tottenham and Portsmouth, I'm much more relaxed.

2-0 - Yossi and Torres
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: Apr 30, 2009 02:45:16 pm
      I presume this match date has been changed, if not I have really screwed up my off-duty.

Really hope Stevie is back, and I have been wondering if he was carrying the groin injury into the 1st leg game against Chelsea and that is why we played so badly.

I hope we destroy them, play them off the park, personally I do not mind Shearer but Newcastle as a whole, yuk!

I also unfortunately expect Torres to get a kicking as that is the only way desperate teams can handle him, 3to5 - nil.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #20: Apr 30, 2009 02:47:32 pm
      Here are all the important pre-match stats and facts ahead of the visit of Newcastle United this weekend. 

Newcastle are sh*t.

Liverpool are boss.

Wonder if they'll be bringing their free plastic flags and scarves from last Monday night.

Hope Joey Barton gets the sh*t kicked out of him.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #21: Apr 30, 2009 03:03:14 pm
      Newcastle are sh*t.

Liverpool are boss.
      :lmao:

but seriously, do you have a source / reference to qualify these facts. ::)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #22: Apr 30, 2009 03:04:51 pm
      Although there are no certain three points in any Premiership game, I do feel this is as easy a game as possible. Newcastle are sh*te and are well on their way to the Championship which is exactly where they belong. In our rich vain of goalscoring form this could very easily be double figures for Liverpool.

If Stevie starts then all the better but even without him I think this is a walk in the park. Torres leaves his best form for Anfield in the league, Kuyt has just bagged himself a couple, Xabi got a goal last weekend, Yossi's playing as well as he has done since moving to Liverpool and we will be boosted by the return of our captain, even if he starts on the bench.

Also this is a perfect chance for our defence to sort itself out. We've been leaking a few goals of late, in games where we've had no choice but to go all out attack, so against a very poor side our defence can get back to being as tight as a gnat's arse.

And as MsG touched on in the opening post, with no Nemeth in the reserves last night there's a good possibility he'll be involved in the first team this weekend. Although after reading the reports from last night's 5-1 win for the reserves, it was Ngog who took the plaudits which may just keep him ahead in the pecking order for the game against Newcastle.

Quick Reply