Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Are CD Singles officially extinct?

Read 6959 times
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Are CD Singles officially extinct?
      May 13, 2009 07:29:33 pm
      As none of the big music retailers seem to have them anymore, well not online anyway!

I'm trying to get hold of Lilly Allen, Not Fair, if anyone knows where I can purchase said media I would be ever so grateful.

Cheers peeps  ;D

AJ
      slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Re: Are CD Singles officially extinct?
      Reply #1: May 13, 2009 07:38:20 pm
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #3: May 13, 2009 08:08:53 pm
      I hope there not Extinct AJ, I'm a serious Record collector and Have every number 1 Album and Single on the various formats that they've been released on through the years which now means Cd's.
      I don't agree with downloads as there is no Physical copy so to speak, so it could mean the end of my collecting I hope not as i've been collecting for over 30yrs !
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #4: May 13, 2009 08:12:31 pm
      I hope there not Extinct AJ, I'm a serious Record collector and Have every number 1 Album and Single on the various formats that they've been released on through the years which now means Cd's.
      I don't agree with downloads as there is no Physical copy so to speak, so it could mean the end of my collecting I hope not as I've been collecting for over 30yrs !

I know what you mean I have not bought any for a while and just went on Tesco, HMV, Play etc and they only have downloads or full albums.  I think it is good to have a physical copy of music as there are many ways it can be played as apposed to restricting it to Phone, PC and mobile.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: May 13, 2009 08:17:10 pm
      Your point about on line stores been out of stock is right though I ordered the LFC single from HMV they told me straight away it was ot of stovk and I only received a copy last week having pre-ordering it !
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #6: May 13, 2009 08:28:09 pm
      Your point about on line stores been out of stock is right though I ordered the LFC single from HMV they told me straight away it was ot of stovk and I only received a copy last week having pre-ordering it !

Rubbish, surely a sale is a sale, FFS HMV BUY MORE SINGLES!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: May 13, 2009 08:32:10 pm
      I suppose its a case of supply and demand, I think  they don't want to buy stock in incase there left with it, inthe case of Downloads outselling hard copies !,
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #8: May 13, 2009 08:33:50 pm
      These download's etc are killing music. I want something that i can hold. My i Pod lasted only just over 12 months, and now will have to be replaced. Also i live in Newcastle and cannot get my hands on a copy of Fields of Anfield Road as HMV here refuse to order it - despite the fact that it is a top 20 single-. Their Internet site always says it is out of stock. If Woolworth's or Zavvi were still around then wouldnt have this problem as they stocked the top 40 CD single's  
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #9: May 13, 2009 08:37:07 pm
      I got mine of HMV internet but it took ages, place an order with them Phil and sit and wait !.
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: May 13, 2009 08:41:39 pm
      These download's etc are killing music. I want something that I can hold. My I Pod lasted only just over 12 months, and now will have to be replaced. Also I live in Newcastle and cannot get my hands on a copy of Fields of Anfield Road as HMV here refuse to order it - despite the fact that it is a top 20 single-. Their Internet site always says it is out of stock. If Woolworth's or Zavvi were still around then wouldnt have this problem as they stocked the top 40 CD single's  

RIP the single.....
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #11: May 14, 2009 10:56:40 am
      Just as Vinyl a Big No, the companies make a lot of money out of them you can still get them if you shop around or even on the web.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #12: May 14, 2009 11:30:16 am
      I don't agree with downloads as there is no Physical copy so to speak, so it could mean the end of my collecting I hope not as I've been collecting for over 30yrs !

Wow Frizzby - that must be some serious collection you've got there! Big respect. I too have gathered a sh*t load of music 'round me down the years. From Vinyl & Cassette to CD I must have gathered about 300 bits n bobs.

However, about 2 years ago, i embraced mp3s/downloading as the way forward. I have all my music (now about 1500 albums and 2,700 singles) on two external hard drives which i back up periodically.

The thing is; CD singles are (now) targeted at pre-teen kids who may only want one song and can't afford an album. H.M.V., for e.g., only stock best selling singles. When we take into account the PC literacy of most kids then the death knell is well and truly sounding for CD singles.

It would be an awful shame if you stopped now Frizz - just look at downloaded MP3s/PC/Hard Drives as the next, natural, progression.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #13: May 14, 2009 12:14:44 pm
      Thanks for that B.B.B. ! The entire collection is somewhere close to 10,000 items ! 
      I can't really agree about downloaded MP3's/PC/Hard Drives being the next general progression as its not the piece of metal/plastic thats collectable but the content, which you can't touch or appreciate as much as a CD or Vinyl disc.
      I just can't give up on them but understand that they'll be worthless to my kids in years to come !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #14: May 21, 2009 12:56:53 am
      Haven't bought a physical single for ages.

Can anyone seriously be arsed going through the hassle of taking CD's out of players and putting a new one in etc..

F**k, imagine if we still had tapes!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: May 21, 2009 12:57:40 am
      I've got about 9,000 songs on my iTunes.  I think it's about 45Gb.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: May 21, 2009 01:01:32 am
      I think its funny when people refer to recording things by saying , ive taped it, usually to V+ sky+ type boxes,
      But i do also have a few cd singles as i djed for years, what a waste of money, and cds scrated so easy, remember when they were first introduced "they will last forever with perfect play every single time", then you load one in with a finger mark on and it makes the most annoying noise of all time.
      give me a vynil scratch any day.
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #17: May 21, 2009 01:47:39 pm
      I think its funny when people refer to recording things by saying , ive taped it, usually to V+ sky+ type boxes,
      But I do also have a few cd singles as I djed for years, what a waste of money, and cds scrated so easy, remember when they were first introduced "they will last forever with perfect play every single time", then you load one in with a finger mark on and it makes the most annoying noise of all time.
      give me a vynil scratch any day.

Yea I know what ya mean vynil is coming back around
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: May 22, 2009 01:48:45 pm
      Haven't bought a physical single for ages.

Can anyone seriously be arsed going through the hassle of taking CD's out of players and putting a new one in etc..

F**k, imagine if we still had tapes!
      Cassette sales are on the up in the U.K. J.D. !
      It was on GMTV this week, what the omitted to tell us though was the fact that the police still use them in interviews and with the increase in crime and terrorism its ony logical that sales would increase, nothing at all to do with music !
      AJ
      • Started Topic

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #19: May 26, 2009 10:11:02 pm
      Cassette sales are on the up in the U.K. J.D. !
      It was on GMTV this week, what the omitted to tell us though was the fact that the police still use them in interviews and with the increase in crime and terrorism its ony logical that sales would increase, nothing at all to do with music !

I never thought of that, it's a wonder they ain't gone digital like the rest of the world but I guess it's harder to delete a tape than it is to wipe an mp3!

Quick Reply