Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Reds sign Jordy Brouwer

Read 7294 times
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reds sign Jordy Brouwer
      Jan 24, 2007 01:02:11 pm
      Liverpool have announced the signing of Ajax starlet Jordy Brouwer.

Brouwer has come through the ranks at Ajax's famed academy and he is highly-regarded at the Dutch club.

Liverpool have moved to snap up the striker as he had not signed professional terms with Ajax.

Brouwer is Liverpool's third new arrival of the January transfer window following the signings of Daniele Padelli and Emiliano Insua.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry believes Brouwer will prove to be a good acquisition for the club.

"We have made a good signing for the future in Jordy," said Parry.

"He has had a youth contract at Ajax, but has opted to build his career at Liverpool.

"We have been monitoring his progress and look forward to developing his potential at Anfield."

Another youngster arrives at Liverpool happy to say it looks like building for the future is top of our agenda.
      The pessimist in me asks the question, how did we get him from Ajax so easily? do they have more than enough strikers or wasnt he good enough for them?
      Maybe it was all down to the persuasive powers of Rafa and Rick Parry, anyway good luck to the lad and hopefully a star in the making.
      « Last Edit: Jan 27, 2007 12:44:06 am by Jabba »
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Re: Reds sign Jordy Brouwer
      Reply #1: Jan 24, 2007 01:58:24 pm
      i think as he was on a youth contract we can still offer him a contract, if he accepts we have to pay some compensation to ajax but nothin major??

it could be when we offered a contract ajax did as well but he decided to come to us and there was nothin they could do about it?

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Jan 24, 2007 02:12:07 pm
      I think as he was on a youth contract we can still offer him a contract, if he accepts we have to pay some compensation to ajax but nothin major??

it could be when we offered a contract ajax did as well but he decided to come to us and there was nothin they could do about it?

Found this on Sky Sports 21 Jan

Liverpool are reportedly ready to raid Ajax for youngster Jordy Brouwe.

The Reds are believed to have agreed a deal to bring the Holland Under 19 international to Anfield.

Brouwe has come through the ranks at Ajax's famed academy and he has caught the eye of Liverpool scouts with some impressive performances for club and country.

Ajax technical director Martin van Geel claimed he was surprised by Liverpool's interest as they were unsure if Brouwe was good enough to make the breakthrough at the Amsterdam ArenA.

"We didn't have the complete conviction that he was ready for it," Van Geel told AD Sportwereld

"Internally we have talked about Jordy a lot.

"That doubt stayed after Liverpool expressed their interest.

"I say that without bitterness, because I wish Jordy all the success at Liverpool."

It looks like they dithered about and Liverpool stepped in, the line "We didn't have the complete conviction that he was ready for it," is a bit bemusing as i dont remember Ajax losing players like this before. Maybe the scouting system has changed and we will pick up a few more promising youngsters as Arsenal have instead of paying £30m for players like some other clubs do (you know who i mean!)
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #3: Jan 24, 2007 03:55:53 pm
      well it will be intrestin to read the match reports to see how he's gettin on......

we havent really had alot of luck with the youngsters we've signed recently!!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #4: Jan 24, 2007 04:17:17 pm
      Appartantly this one isnt all that either.Ajax didnt think he could make the grade,so didnt put up\a fight for him.Dutch jurno just been on the radio saying that he doubts this lad will ever get to the first team
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #5: Jan 24, 2007 05:45:58 pm
      the thing is that in the summer we brought some attackers (kuyt and bellamy) and now either he wont get any games or one of our other strikers wont hardly play ??? ??? ??? ???
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #6: Jan 24, 2007 06:50:30 pm
      He's a player for the future ross.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,630 posts | 6940 
      Reply #7: Jan 24, 2007 10:24:41 pm
      Rafa's really putting some effort in to building a second string XI of promising international youngsters just like Arsenal.

A good sign not only for our future but that Rafa sees his future at Anfield too.
      Tallfc
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 477 posts |
      Reply #8: Jan 24, 2007 11:17:32 pm
      Rafa's really putting some effort in to building a second string XI of promising international youngsters just like Arsenal.

A good sign not only for our future but that Rafa sees his future at Anfield too.

Some very good points.
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #9: Jan 24, 2007 11:43:30 pm
      Players develop at different ages, remember someone called micheal owen?
      Cy
      Reply #10: Jan 25, 2007 02:06:28 pm
      I think it's a good move, if he delivered and get very good, we made a bargain, if not, we didnt take any risk and didnt spent a massive amount of money..

RAFA got a plan, I like this as JD mentionned that sound like he is seeing his future at anfield..Good on him..
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Jordy Brouwer
      Reply #11: Jan 25, 2007 09:41:46 pm
      anyone know anything about are newest signing? av heard that he is an excellent player but does anyone know what position he is or how much we got him for?
      NWA
      • Forum David Johnson

• 218 posts |
      Reply #12: Jan 25, 2007 10:06:10 pm
      anyone know anything about are newest signing? av heard that he is an excellent player but does anyone know what position he is or how much we got him for?

All i know is that he is a 18 year old striker
      Also a Dutch U21 International
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #13: Jan 26, 2007 06:21:39 am
      Definitely good for the future but does anyone else feel we are bringing to many foriegn young players in who may not make the grade. This has been good for Arsenal's success but does anyone really want a team of foreigners for the future with no british players?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #14: Jan 26, 2007 07:15:30 am
      Definitely good for the future but does anyone else feel we are bringing to many foriegn young players in who may not make the grade. This has been good for Arsenal's success but does anyone really want a team of foreigners for the future with no british players?

Thing is mate, British young players are being priced out of the market. Walcott £12m, and Garath Bale around £10m.
      If just one of these foreigners turns out to be a regular first teamer - then we've effectively saved on a huge transfer fee.
      I just hope they can play competitive football, instead of Reserve team football - loan them out !!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #15: Jan 26, 2007 07:28:36 am
      Thing is mate, British young players are being priced out of the market. Walcott £12m, and Garath Bale around £10m.
      If just one of these foreigners turns out to be a regular first teamer - then we've effectively saved on a huge transfer fee.
      I just hope they can play competitive football, instead of Reserve team football - loan them out !!

Good point mate! I agree the price of young British players is ridiculous and with the likes of Chavski paying over the odds for young players(SWP, Bridge, Johnson) no one else really stands a chance!
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #16: Jan 26, 2007 10:18:12 am
      i think rafa's new youth policy will yeild devidends in a few years to come.Its good to start signing youngsters for the future.Its good to build a second string side capable of participating in the premiership as well as cup matches.This is important in view of rafa's rotation system.I hope it works ot for rafa.Good luck to the new ajax kid as well as Emiliano and Padelli

Quick Reply