Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Martin Kelly (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163603 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Martin Kelly Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Aug 13, 2014 06:33:28 am
      I think it's time for him to go, hard to be ruthless but we can't risk playing him time after time hoping he'll get back to the fitness he once had, if it never works we look like idiots and we're out of the title hunt.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1036: Aug 13, 2014 09:08:07 am
      Best of luck Martin. Hope your injuries are truly behind you and you get lots of game time with Palace.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #1037: Aug 13, 2014 10:50:27 am
      Sad to see him go. I mean he was probably worth 15, 18m  at one pt.

I think we can be fairly sure that the knee has been seriously damaged. I can't remember the exact state of it. But clearly Martin is finding it all harder.

I wonder if complete reconstruction may have worked. Richard Steadman in Colorado completely redid Craig Bellamy's knee, and he regained all his pace+mobility.

1.5 or 2m is a pretty big knockdown. But sh*t happens. Hope he does really well at his new club.
      Martin could have been the local heartbeat of the team, once Stevie retired. But it wasn't to be.

I wonder if he might ever claw back a high level of mobility over a few years? He's also young enought to reinvent himself as a midfielder.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #1038: Aug 13, 2014 10:54:37 am
      Is LFC crazy.

Selling Kelly for 1.5 million. With a view to 2 million

Its a total rip off. Same with the Jonjo deal.

We end up paying over the odds for players and then sell ors for a cheap.

Real bad move. Not impressed at all. Dampened my estactic mood from the Moreno signing

He barely played mate ? Why keep him on the payroll? Who would pay more for him right now? He won't make our team so he won't even get to put himself in the eyes of other teams.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #1039: Aug 13, 2014 02:09:25 pm
      Not saying he shouldn't be sold.

All i'm saying is he was sold for a cheap while we get ripped off by other clubs.

Why sign Ilori for 6 million or is it 8 million and we cant even get 4 or 5 million for Kelly.

Might not make the grade here but he is definitely worth more than 2 million. Same way we sold Jonjo on a cheap last season and bought Luis Alberto for 6  million.

Its just crazy. The Kelly deal is definitely a rip off regardless of if he played or not.

The scums sold wes brown for 5 million - injury plagued, past his prime.

And i could give you a whole catalogue of palyers unless we are actually saying Kelly is sh*t in which i will totally disagree - injury or no injury
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1040: Aug 13, 2014 02:15:00 pm
      Why sign Ilori for 6 million or is it 8 million and we cant even get 4 or 5 million for Kelly.

Despite all the quoted prices on Ilori, Brendan did come out and say that the £7m quoted was way above what we paid, didn't of course put a price on it.

Might not make the grade here but he is definitely worth more than 2 million. Same way we sold Jonjo on a cheap last season and bought Luis Alberto for 6  million.

Jonjo didn't have an injury record reminiscent of Frank Spencer. He also had great potential and only left for first football after we signed players to take his spot in the first team. Kelly wouldn't even make the bench here this season.

The scums sold wes brown for 5 million - injury plagued, past his prime.

I agree they got more than what he was worth but it was a Fergie bum chum, so what do you expect?

And i could give you a whole catalogue of palyers unless we are actually saying Kelly is sh*t in which i will totally disagree - injury or no injury

That's where this becomes subjective and your opinion is affected. He may not be "sh*t" but if he can't make our bench is never going to get any game time here what use is it keeping him. The benefits of loaning out a 24 year old are slim after he's been "fit for a season" according to his own words. So after being fit for a season we see what level he's at this pre-season and unfortunately he was woeful from my perspective.

He was given a contract extension and improvement while injured. High wages (when compared to what they pay further down the league) will keep his price down plus our need to get him off our books. Personally think it's a fair deal.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1041: Aug 13, 2014 03:52:32 pm
      Maybe it's a right time. Best of luck in the future Martin, YNWA.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Re: Martin Kelly (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)
      Reply #1042: Aug 15, 2014 04:34:07 am
      Good luck to Martin, always thought he was gonna be a player for us, never really eventuated which is a shame. Think he'll be good for Palace
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1043: Aug 15, 2014 07:59:56 am
      Not a great start for Kelly.
      Gaffer gone on the same day.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1044: Aug 15, 2014 07:38:33 pm
      Not a great start for Kelly.
      Gaffer gone on the same day.

He joked, "I didn’t think I trained that bad yesterday!"
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1045: Aug 15, 2014 07:42:34 pm
      Maybe he wasn't a Pulis signing and that tipped it over the edge?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #1046: Aug 15, 2014 10:04:49 pm
      Gutted to see Martin leave but I can see why the club have decided to part their ways. Martin has fantastic potential, I would argue that 2 years ago he was the best up and coming defender at the club. He was also in the first team at this point and proving his worth. But the injuries have taken their toll, unfortunately. I am pretty confident that if it wasn't for the injuries, Martin would be in the Liverpool squad for years to come.

I wish him the best of luck at Palace, it sounds like a messed up situation that he is going in to and one that probably won't help his progression.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1047: Aug 16, 2014 01:29:43 am
      Maybe he wasn't a Pulis signing and that tipped it over the edge?

Nah, he loves our rejects. Crouch, Pennant, Adams, Diao, Owen, Matteo.

Unlucky yet again for Kelly though.
      hazlfc9
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #1048: Sep 04, 2014 04:39:20 am
      I honestly thought when Martin Kelly made him bow againsnt Lyon back in 09 that he was a candidate to take over the arm band from Stevie
      How times change... one of my favourites, all the best Martin YNWA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1049: Sep 04, 2014 06:26:32 am
      Looked ok for them so far. They've shipped a few goals in the mean time but personally he's looked good in a central role.

Even burst forward and nearly scored a belter against Newcastle but for a good save from Krul.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1050: Sep 04, 2014 12:31:29 pm
      Looked ok for them so far. They've shipped a few goals in the mean time but personally he's looked good in a central role.
      Been playing full back from what I've seen mate, but I agree made a solid start to say how many they've shipped.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1051: Sep 04, 2014 07:23:08 pm
      Been playing full back from what I've seen mate, but I agree made a solid start to say how many they've shipped.

Was he playing left back last time out?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1052: Sep 04, 2014 10:41:48 pm

You are right. Thought he started at centre back for some reason against Newcastle, probably just assumed that because Hangeland didn't play.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #1053: Sep 05, 2014 12:28:53 am
      Was he playing left back last time out?
      Yes played on right v Arsenal & WHU. Switched to left v Newcastle. I didn't see much of West Ham match but in the other 2 he was solid enough. Really liked the lad, but was best move for both parties. Wish him well except when he plays us.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #1054: Oct 31, 2015 04:42:32 pm
      Here's a player I wish we had hung onto. He has turned into a real solid fullback, and I still think he could play CB some day. Good to see you doing well Marty!!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1055: Nov 02, 2015 07:06:32 pm
      Here's a player I wish we had hung onto. He has turned into a real solid fullback, and I still think he could play CB some day. Good to see you doing well Marty!!

Me too, he's a smashing lad. Comes in the pub reasonably regularly with the Palace lads or his wife/girlfriend. Couldn't wish to meet a nicer or more unassuming fella.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,611 posts | 365 
      Reply #1056: Feb 07, 2023 11:31:37 am
      Was watching him last night on debut for Wigan. Was looking nice and solid then around the hour mark went down with what looks like another horror injury.

He looked a broken man being helped off the pitch. Felt really bad for him. Not sure he has it in him to do another rehab at his age and come back from it. He's on loan to Wigan who are bottom of the championship as it is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1057: Feb 07, 2023 12:58:39 pm
      Was watching him last night on debut for Wigan. Was looking nice and solid then around the hour mark went down with what looks like another horror injury.

He looked a broken man being helped off the pitch. Felt really bad for him. Not sure he has it in him to do another rehab at his age and come back from it. He's on loan to Wigan who are bottom of the championship as it is.

Flicked over onto that game, didn't seem a great game and switched. Sad to hear about Kelly's injury, hope he can come back from it.

Quick Reply