Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you pay £17m for Mascherano ?

Yes
      (91.2%)
      No
      (4.4%)
      Buy someone else
      (4.4%)

Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)

Read 249978 times
      CFT
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Re: The Javier Mascherano thread
      Reply #115: Nov 11, 2007 10:44:17 am
      He's world class. Simple as that. A brilliant modern-day footballer who has great passing and tackling ability. Him and Stevie in the middle can become the best midfield partnership around.
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #116: Nov 11, 2007 10:46:33 am
       Javier Mascherano has once again spoken of his desire to stay at Liverpool so he can form a long-term partnership with "one of the best players in the world". 
      The player Maradona described as a 'monster' is desperate to extend his Anfield deal beyond the summer, claiming Merseyside is the best place for him to become a world-beater.

"By staying here I will become a better player and that way I can help Liverpool to be more successful," said the 23-year-old, who already has 33 international caps to his name.

"It would also be fantastic to form a long-term partnership with Steve Gerrard - everyone knows he is one of the best midfield players in the world."

Mascherano's declaration comes just days after Rafa Benitez reiterated his desire to keep the midfielder at the club.

"I am calm and relaxed about it," added the Argentine. "From my point of view it is simple - I want to play for Liverpool, I want to sign a permanent deal.

"I have told Rafa Benitez this and he has told me he wants to keep me.
      "I have had enough of travelling the world from club to club. I want roots, and I want them here in Liverpool. I don't want to move again next summer but if I do not sign for Liverpool then I will not play for another club in England. Not Manchester United, not Chelsea or Arsenal.

"If I am not with Liverpool I don't want to be in England. It would be impossible for me to play against them in the Premier League because of the respect I have for the club. I want to stay in England, but only with Liverpool.

"The club created an opportunity for me which I am grateful for so no other English club will come into my thoughts." 
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #117: Nov 11, 2007 10:53:03 am
      Welcome back liverpaul!  Long time since you've posted on here!

Why should we pay any money for Mascherano at all?  United got Tevez as a free agent, because of West Ham doing a bit of dirty dealings.  Mascherano & Tevez came to the Premier League at the same time, same club, and the same method.

I don't see why we have to pay West Ham or those agents a penny if the F***ing Mancs can get Tevez for nothing!
      liverpaul
      • Forum John Barnes

• 409 posts |
      Reply #118: Nov 11, 2007 11:03:45 am
      cheers court :) good 2 be back  I totally agree with you and the peeps who own him must allow it to happen
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2779 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #119: Nov 11, 2007 11:54:41 am
      Come on board hand over the 17 mill to Rafa and get this lad signed up. He is the complete package ok he could add in a few goals but is there any player out there who youd rather have in your team when you havent got the ball? He hunts it down like he owns it and doesnt want the oppo to touch it. He can also pick out a pass and has a super engine for geting up and down the field

And having read today what he said he obviously has a stong desire to play fo us and has a respect for our club and saying he wouldnt play anywhere else in England proves this.

SIGN HIM NOW!! 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #120: Nov 11, 2007 09:43:18 pm
      Welcome back liverpaul!  Long time since you've posted on here!

Why should we pay any money for Mascherano at all?  United got Tevez as a free agent, because of West Ham doing a bit of dirty dealings.  Mascherano & Tevez came to the Premier League at the same time, same club, and the same method.

I don't see why we have to pay West Ham or those agents a penny if the f***ing Mancs can get Tevez for nothing!

Court, I hadn't even thought of that mate, good post. Why should we pay those agents all that money when the Mancs get Tevez for a 2 year loan deal for free? That's bullshit, not that Masch isn't worth the money, because he is class, but surely someone managing our finances must be asking the same question.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #121: Nov 11, 2007 11:48:32 pm

I don't see why we have to pay West Ham or those agents a penny if the f***ing Mancs can get Tevez for nothing!

Tevez is on a two year loan deal to the mancs isn't he? So they'll effectively have to pay a good bit of money to keep him when that runs out - if of course they want to keep him. I could imagine it would be more than £15m.

They've basically took a leaf out of our book concerning Mascherano. Get some good time to see if he's part of the long term plans. If he's not, then you haven't wasted millions. If he's quality and a vital part of the squad - like Mascherano is - then you pay the money!!!

U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #122: Nov 12, 2007 12:39:29 am
      Actually, Manure have to pay 20 million pounds after the two year loan deal to keep him....
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #123: Dec 06, 2007 04:33:34 pm
      seriously i would rather spend the 17mil on a world class left winger, when kewell is fit he's the best at that role that we have got but i reckon we need someone who will run a pace and just wreck havoc! just think we can get a better player in a position that we need. if the figure in question was about 8-10 mill no prob but HAS HE PLAYED LIKE A PLAYER WORTH 17MILL I THINK NOT
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #124: Dec 06, 2007 04:41:06 pm
      he has played like a player worth more than that to be honest. no-one is better than him at his job of defensive midfielder and he only 23. he will only get better and to be able to mark players like kaka out of a game at that age is unreal.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #125: Dec 06, 2007 04:41:58 pm
      Mascherano without any hesitation imo...
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #126: Dec 06, 2007 04:56:57 pm
      Mash worth every penny and more!!
      andyb
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #127: Dec 06, 2007 05:58:57 pm
      Mash any day
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #128: Dec 06, 2007 10:00:48 pm
      Woodsie2b, his price is just. The lad is pure class. He's only young and he looks like he's been playing the game in Prem for decades. He covers all sort of ground until the final whistle, he's a nightmare to get past, he's very strong, he reads the game very well, he can tackle from behind without giving away a foul - which these days is a very tough task, he can pass the ball well, he's got vision - knows where his team mates are and he has passion!!! He's an important part of the Liverpool engine room and I'd much rather spend the money on him instead of some fancypants overpriced winger. That's not to say I don't think we could improve on the left. But to have such a quality player already settled in the side, in such an important area of the pitch, is a massive advantage

Hopefully we'll have the deal sorted sooner rather than later. Nice to read a bit positive news on the subject!:

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/12/06/benitez-insists-mascha-is-his/

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #129: Dec 06, 2007 11:43:36 pm
      There should be no doubt on this one in my opinion. Masch is worth every penny of the £17M it will take to sign him. When Claude Makelele was in his prime for Real and France, most people would agree that he was one of the most important players in the team. I feel that Masch will be that player for us and in my opinion will be an even better player than Makelele as he offers even more going forward. He has adapted so well to the team that you would think he had been there for years and at his age will only improve in the future.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #130: Dec 07, 2007 01:58:58 pm
      But, but how many of us noticed that he has the potential not only to defend but to attack as well. Its just that he's a bit lost when he gets the ball while Rafa needs to develop him further to attack. However, if he could cultivate the habit of starting an effective attack, which reminds me of Patrick Viera, not that he is in the same mould as Viera, he will then worth more than that 17M. I for one wouldn't fancy playing against him where he keeps bugging and harasssing you throughout the game.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #131: Dec 07, 2007 03:34:12 pm
      Tevez is on a two year loan deal to the mancs isn't he? So they'll effectively have to pay a good bit of money to keep him when that runs out - if of course they want to keep him. I could imagine it would be more than £15m.

They've basically took a leaf out of our book concerning Mascherano. Get some good time to see if he's part of the long term plans. If he's not, then you haven't wasted millions. If he's quality and a vital part of the squad - like Mascherano is - then you pay the money!!!

The manner in which this deal has been conducted by our manager only goes to illustrate to us just how astute he is. He got JM on a 18 month loan to evaluate him - with a prearranged purchase price, straight forward and transparent!!  If Rafa prices him at 17 mill then that good enough for me.  Mark my words as see what he is worth in 3 years time!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #132: Jan 08, 2008 06:04:03 pm
      Hopefully £11 million for Momo will help pay a large portion of the Mascherano money.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #133: Jan 09, 2008 11:13:22 am
      I heard on the Spanish radio yesterday that the Italians are only interested in loan deals... Inter apparently wanted Momo on loan... and have now decided for Maniche on loan instead.

For me it's pretty clear that if Momo has to go... it's got to be for a cash up-front transfer to help fund Masch deal.
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Mascherano Wanted For Olympics
      Reply #134: Jan 19, 2008 05:21:11 pm
      Liverpool could be on a collision course with the Argentinian FA over Javier Mascherano's possible participation in the Olympic Games.

Argentinian Under 23 national team coach Sergio Batista has included the Reds' midfielder in the list of players for this summer's Olympics, along with Bayern Munich's Martin Demichelis and Juan Roman Riquelme, who plays for Boca Juniors.

The Games take place from 8th-24th August, which would mean Mascherano missing the start of next season's Premier League campaign if he plays.

Speaking of the situation, Batista told the Argentine media: "Riquelme is a player that I like very much. I spoke with him and he wants to be at the Olympic Games.

"I have also included Mascherano because he is very important for the midfield of any team and Martin Demichelis can give his experience to the defence.

"These three players will surely be in the friendly match that we will play on 6th February against Guatemala in Los Angeles.

"Then in August we will have to see if their clubs let us have them for playing in China."
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008 05:28:41 pm by redkenny »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Mash Wanted For Olympics
      Reply #135: Jan 19, 2008 05:26:06 pm
      Confussed there for a minute, Mashed potato at the olympics! and why on this board, but I see now, said the blind man when he could not see at all, but he may not be a 'Pool player in the summer ???

(Title of topic changed from Mash wanted for the olympics)
      « Last Edit: Jan 19, 2008 05:30:10 pm by RedPuppy »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #136: Jan 19, 2008 05:39:09 pm
      Topic merged now RedPuppy. Keeps the confusion down doesn't it.

You're right though, how are we supposed to know if there is going to be any collision with the Argentinian FA when we don't even know if he's going to be a Liverpool player!!

Get him signed up so we can argue with the Argentinian FA!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #137: Jan 19, 2008 07:14:42 pm
      We have the right to allow it or not dont we?

Quick Reply