Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you pay £17m for Mascherano ?

Yes
      (91.2%)
      No
      (4.4%)
      Buy someone else
      (4.4%)

Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)

Read 249286 times
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Re: The Javier Mascherano thread
      Reply #46: Aug 26, 2007 11:38:13 am
      I think he'll play against Toulouse.....along with Crouch and Benayoun.

According to Football Manager 07, the fee to make his transfer permanent is 20 million pounds.....ouch.
      And its usually accurate when it comes ot these things.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #47: Aug 26, 2007 12:10:08 pm
      I wouldn't judge the fee by football manager by any means. It's obviously an estimated amount, I think we will secure Mascherano if he can show us what he's all about. Rafa did play Masch in our biggest games last season against Chelsea and Milan.. only Mascherano could of limited Kaka and I feel that Lucas, Alonso are not capable of that and Sissoko is not Rafa's preferred choice.

Mascherano has a burst of pace, his passing is as good as Alonso's, his tackling is as good as Carraghers, his reading of the game is better than anyone, he's a player we should make ours. He is a player that wins the ball and unlike Sissoko and Alonso, as soon as he wins that ball he instantly looks forward to get the game flowing in attack for us, thats what I like about him and thats why even if at £20m thats how much he'll cost then thats how much we should pay. Man Utd were not scared to fork out £36m on Carrick and Hargreaves so why should we be scared to fork out £20m on a world class holding midfielder, probably the best holding midfielder in the world. He was voted Argentina's best player in Copa America in a team full of superstars such as Lionel Messi, Roman Riquelme, Carlos Tevez etc etc.

If anyone thinks that Alonso, Sissoko or Lucas can make up for the loss of Mascherano then think again, these players have nothing on Mascherano at all, Mascherano is head and shoulders above those three and we must secure the signing of him at the end of the season whatever the cost!

Just to remind you guys about his quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://youtube.com/watch?v=vIXq3quFt5s&mode=related&search=
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #48: Aug 26, 2007 01:25:49 pm
      A bit of exaggeration ;D.

his passing still needs a lot of work, and is certainly NOWHERE near as good as Alonso's.
      His defending though....is phenomenal.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #49: Aug 26, 2007 01:36:46 pm
      his passing still needs a lot of work, and is certainly NOWHERE near as good as Alonso's.

What are you talking about? Alonso's passing isn't even all that. How many times does Alonso get a difficult pass right these days? I might be being a little too critical on Alonso here but his passing is only to do with accuracy, he doesn't make clever through ball passes like Fabregas does, he'll only make a across field pass which I've seen Mascherano make plenty of times. Mascherano's passing imo is as good as Alonso's.. Alonso gives away far too much possesion, he's careless, he's slow and when his passing doesn't go well then thats his game gone.

I don't think Alonso is LFC first team class to be honest with you, like I said I might be a bit too critical of him but what qualities has he proven to be Liverpool class? I'm NOT his biggest fan, he's dissapointed me for two seasons and this one has started off just as bad. I hate to say this but Carrick is as good as Alonso.

I would play Mascherano and Gerrard in the centre in a 442 formation. No 451 or 433 formation, it's got to be 442 its that simple. I haven't over hyped Mascherano, if I had then why has he been voted the best Argentina player in Copa America? It's down to you now to see if you've got an answer!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #50: Aug 26, 2007 07:43:46 pm
      Agree with Ra Ra Rafa on this. Mascherano is pure class and certainly should be an LFC player. He'd definitely be worth the a big fee in my opinion. He seems like a great reader of the game and he's a tough player to get past. I'd have to say in most games I'd have him partnering Gerrard in the middle.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #51: Sep 11, 2007 11:14:03 pm
      Does any one have any thoughts on Mascherano's future. It seems we have him secured for this season on loan. Following that, do you think he will extend his stay? Will he go to the highest bidder like his mate Tevez, or mabey he will want to stay but the price will be to high. I hope to Christ he stays at any price.! ???
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #52: Sep 11, 2007 11:47:18 pm
      I would imagine some big clubs will want to pay some big money to secure Mascherano as a 'full time' midfielder.

Let's hope winning number 19 may sway his decision.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #53: Sep 12, 2007 10:04:41 am
      As far as I was aware I thought we had an option to buy for a pre-agreed price at the end of his loan, although I don't know what that price is. If this is correct then surely we agreed a price that would be affordable to us. In my eyes he's worth around £15m, although I would stretch to £20m if that's what it took to secure the deal.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #54: Sep 12, 2007 08:34:43 pm

According to Football Manager 07, the fee to make his transfer permanent is 20 million pounds.....ouch.
      And its usually accurate when it comes ot these things.

he signed for us after fm07 came out so dont know where you've got that from
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #55: Sep 14, 2007 06:55:32 pm
      he signed for us after fm07 came out so don't know where you've got that from
      no he's on a loan 18 month loan, that ends at the end of this season, but we have to pay a fee at the end of his loan to get him permanently, not sure how much it is though. As for Alonso, i think some of you are being a bit to critical on him, if he could add a few more goals to his game then he would be a world class midfielder.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #56: Sep 14, 2007 08:33:54 pm
      As far as I was aware I thought we had an option to buy for a pre-agreed price at the end of his loan, although I don't know what that price is. If this is correct then surely we agreed a price that would be affordable to us. In my eyes he's worth around £15m, although I would stretch to £20m if that's what it took to secure the deal.

I googled it and there seems to be a consensus that when we arranged the loan he was on the market for €25M (euros).  Damn cheap for a player that took Kaka (in footballing terms) out of the European Final in Athens.  I've seen nothing since to change my mind on this and like EddieC I'd go up to £20M for his services.  Just hope we have got a option to buy price written into the loan deal as his value must be rising and I can think of two Spanish and several Italian sides who would probably pay a lot more than that.

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #57: Sep 14, 2007 08:45:15 pm
      If you put things into perspective for prices for midfielders :-

Carrick  -  Man Utd   fee to rise to £18.6m
      Hargreaves  -  Man Utd   £17m

Then a figure of around £20m does represent the bargin of all bargins compared to the above.

In my honest opinion, we have to buy him. No questions about it.
      The lad is quality, and for quality you have to pay the £££'s
      We would only make a rival's team stronger and increase there quality if we didn't buy him.

Please note, any spare cash left from Smiggers / MsGerrard's holiday fund will be put into the 'Let's buy Masch outright fund'.
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #58: Sep 14, 2007 09:18:12 pm
      Yep, Masch is worth the money. He is an excellent partner and foil for Gerrard, and could alternate with Sissoko.
      I have been a bit disappointed with Alonso over the last season or so, but I feel he is more of an attacking midfielder, and could deputise for Gerrard, with Momo or Masch alongside him.
      terrone
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #59: Sep 14, 2007 09:35:54 pm
      Masch is the man as far as i'm concerned. If he can, Rafa tha Gaffa needs to make his loan deal permanant ASAP. I watched the Tulouse game, and went to the Derby game, and with Stevie G's absence  both Masch and Sissoko were outstanding.A 4-0 and a 6-0 without Gerrard? Awesome!
      I think if Rafa does have to wait until the end of the season to sign him on full time, then for me that should be the very first signing he makes. Even if he only makes one signing, then Masch should be it.

Cheers,
      T.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #60: Sep 15, 2007 08:58:31 am
      Yep, Masch is worth the money. He is an excellent partner and foil for Gerrard, and could alternate with Sissoko.
      I have been a bit disappointed with Alonso over the last season or so, but I feel he is more of an attacking midfielder, and could deputise for Gerrard, with Momo or Masch alongside him.

I wouldn't say Alonso'a an attacking midfielder, more a cross between a holding mid & a deep lying playmaker. He does his best stuff from a bit further back where he has room to see the play going on in front of him & spot the gaps to make a killer pass. Whilst not being world class he still has a very good defensive game, and is able to deal with all but the very best in that role. I think the way Benitez plays we will nearly always see Alonso or Mascherano on the teamsheet, with either Gerrard & Sissoko who play higher up the pitch alongside them.
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #61: Sep 16, 2007 01:00:28 pm
      We've yet to see a Mascherano/Gerrard partnership this season....which is our strongest IMO.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #62: Oct 11, 2007 10:35:44 pm
      Can't believe their has not been any discussion about his comments today.

What's up with you people.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/10/11/liverpool-and-mascha-the-big-love-in/

“I’m very happy here. I feel settled and would like to play at the new stadium,” said Mascherano.

“I love playing for Liverpool and if the manager wants to keep me then I’d definitely stay for a long time.

“Liverpool are one of the world’s biggest teams. They’ve got history, tradition and success and great fans.

“Rafa’s always used rotation so why would he stop it when it has brought him so much success?

“I know if I want to play I need to work really hard. We have good players in every position so no one has the right to start every match.”

We have to purchase him before 30th June 2008. The rumoured valuation is £17 million?  I think this is a substantial amount of money - do you think we should be paying this?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #63: Oct 11, 2007 10:55:37 pm
      Can't believe their has not been any discussion about his comments today.

What's up with you people.

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2007/10/11/liverpool-and-mascha-the-big-love-in/

“I’m very happy here. I feel settled and would like to play at the new stadium,” said Mascherano.

“I love playing for Liverpool and if the manager wants to keep me then I’d definitely stay for a long time.

“Liverpool are one of the world’s biggest teams. They’ve got history, tradition and success and great fans.

“Rafa’s always used rotation so why would he stop it when it has brought him so much success?

“I know if I want to play I need to work really hard. We have good players in every position so no one has the right to start every match.”

We have to purchase him before 30th June 2008. The rumoured valuation is £17 million?  I think this is a substantial amount of money - do you think we should be paying this?

Great to hear that!!

And yes, it's a lot of money but he's 'proven' quality and belongs in our engine room. He's only going to improve. Imagine letting him go to a big rival?....
      MsGerrard
      Reply #64: Oct 11, 2007 10:58:44 pm
      Great to hear that!!

And yes, it's a lot of money but he's 'proven' quality and belongs in our engine room. He's only going to improve. Imagine letting him go to a big rival?....

Yeah, but I'm not quite sure if he's worth 17 million, although I wouldn't want to see him go elsewhere
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #65: Oct 11, 2007 11:08:19 pm
      I'd say pay it, he's worth it.He's proven himself as a excellent holder , he's also beginning to go forward recently ,all he needs to do hit the target when he shots which i'm sure will come.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #66: Oct 11, 2007 11:29:35 pm
      If you put things into perspective for prices for midfielders :-

Carrick  -  Man Utd   fee to rise to £18.6m
      Hargreaves  -  Man Utd   £17m

Then a figure of around £20m does represent the bargin of all bargins compared to the above.

In my honest opinion, we have to buy him. No questions about it.
      The lad is quality, and for quality you have to pay the £££'s
      We would only make a rival's team stronger and increase there quality if we didn't buy him.

For me, this says it all.

He is pure class. Reads the game very well, he's tough and determined, he'll run all day long, he can pass the ball and is probably one of the hardest players to get past in the league. And he is still improving!!!!! We have the added advantage of him knowing the players and managment.
      As Tommo said, the lad is quality and for quality you have to pay the money.

U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #67: Oct 12, 2007 07:07:36 am
      17 million pounds is change for a player of the class of Mascherano.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #68: Oct 12, 2007 08:30:23 am
      Quote from: EddieC  on September 12, 2007, 10:04:41 AM

I googled it and there seems to be a consensus that when we arranged the loan he was on the market for €25M (euros).  Damn cheap for a player that took Kaka (in footballing terms) out of the European Final in Athens.  I've seen nothing since to change my mind on this and like EddieC I'd go up to £20M for his services.  Just hope we have got a option to buy price written into the loan deal as his value must be rising and I can think of two Spanish and several Italian sides who would probably pay a lot more than that.

This was my response in September and my opinion on this matter hasn't changed.  In fact I am now even more enthusiastic knowing that Javier wants to play for Liverpool FC and it was not just a way of escaping the nightmare of West Ham.

Quick Reply