Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Would you pay £17m for Mascherano ?

Yes
      (91.2%)
      No
      (4.4%)
      Buy someone else
      (4.4%)

Javier Mascherano (FC Barcelona)

Read 249274 times
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Re: The Javier Mascherano thread
      Reply #69: Oct 12, 2007 08:51:17 am
      I agree with the general feeling here, that we certainly should retain his services. He is without doubt a superb defensive mid, who's best years are still to come...and that is an encouraging prospect.
      torreson
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -6 
      Reply #70: Oct 12, 2007 10:34:28 am
      he is brillaint defensive midfielder, he can be added to attack as well!! i wouldn't like to see him play for other team!!! keep him liverpool dont let him off.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #71: Oct 12, 2007 10:54:56 am
      I love that moment in the athens final when Kaka skilled Risse and the whole croud went wild and then the next moment Masch comes out of nowhere and butchers him with a perfectly legal tackle and emerges with the ball. The look on Kaka's face afterwards was like "WTF?".

There arent many players of this class in the world let alone available on the market. The extension of his contract must be top priority for Rafa.
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #72: Oct 12, 2007 02:30:07 pm
      I reckon we should buy him out right if we can, i'm amazed that he couldn't get into the west ham team, sell sissoko to raise money if need be, as in my opinion he's the weakest midfielder we have, and i include Lucas in that statement too.
      KopSecret
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts | -1 
      Reply #73: Oct 12, 2007 03:14:41 pm
      We leased him from MSI for £1.5m for the 18 month loan with an option to acquire his economic rights and player registration for £17 million.

He's worth every penny  8)

But with FIFAs upcoming change in rules regarding 3rd party (MSI) player ownership, all that could change !!

http://www.myanfield.net/2007/10/fifa-could-open-door-for-mascherano.html
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #74: Oct 12, 2007 06:38:14 pm
       WE  cannot part with mascherano ..he has proven he is class and hard worker    .I am sure if we let him go he will be  immediately signed by one of our rivals in england or europe because he is a world class player
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #75: Oct 12, 2007 09:23:23 pm
      Mascherano is pure class. Coming close to being the best at defensive mid and still developing. Would be snapped up by a miultitude of clubs if he became available. If he isn't signed by Rafa, that will show just what direction we are headed in. I can only assume he hasn't been playing regularly as he has needed time to write all the noughts on the end of his contract fee.  Ha. Ha.Ha.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #76: Oct 13, 2007 01:06:27 am
      does any one notice he spends more time sliding than standing? haha. hes a legend, we cant let him go.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #77: Oct 14, 2007 06:52:10 pm
      I'm getting panic when news flooding in saying that Barcelona is interested to sign Masch comes Jan. Rafa and the club will need to do its utmost to keep Masch.. Barcelona is not stupid, they only go for players with a proven talent or can be developed into a world class star. Could it be something that Barcelona sees in Masc that Rafa can't? I for one feel that Barcelona could see the "attacking talent" in Masch. that Rafa couldn't. We had glimpse of what Masc. could do when he's in possession of the ball against Spurs, and at one instance he dribbled to the edge of the box, lost direction and headed for the goal and almost scored. This could be the hidden (attacking) talent that Rafa needs to develope to make Masc. into a complete midfield player. And when he partners SG we will have a solid pair of midfielders who knows how to defend and attack, that's what midfielders are expected of.

As for the other midfielders, Xabi can only pass well, he can't go pass defenders like Masc. and when called upon for defensive duties, he's almost hopeless while Momo is the opposite could defend well but when switch to attack he's near to hopeless.

Masch. needs to develope an understanding with the strikers when he's on the attack, particularly the coordination of their movement and positioning which is badly lacking at the moment. If they could sort that out, they'll be awesome.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #78: Oct 15, 2007 07:53:09 pm
      We leased him from MSI for £1.5m for the 18 month loan with an option to acquire his economic rights and player registration for £17 million.

He's worth every penny  8)

But with FIFAs upcoming change in rules regarding 3rd party (MSI) player ownership, all that could change !!

http://www.myanfield.net/2007/10/fifa-could-open-door-for-mascherano.html

hold on, so what is the situation with masherano, did we but him for £17 million, surly he isnt on loan!
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #79: Oct 15, 2007 09:36:03 pm
      hold on, so what is the situation with masherano, did we but him for £17 million, surly he isnt on loan!

its complicated...i think msi definitely hold more than 50% of his rights.he is currently on a 18 month loan.

imo,i think we should sign him for sure.he was one of our best players last season.he obviously likes it here and wants to stay.Also, there are not many better players available in his position...so why not!
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #80: Oct 16, 2007 09:50:05 am
      I think that it will say a lot about of Rafa's intention if he signs him.

Rafa would have to be crazy to let Masch go.We all know that we have a true star in the making and if we retain his services long term and sign an attacking midfielder in the summer we will have better balance.

red benno
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #81: Oct 16, 2007 10:48:36 am

the lad is different class and will bring the best out of Steven Gerrard
      mmxxii
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      • You'll never walk alone
      Reply #82: Oct 16, 2007 11:12:15 am
      I hope he stays at lfc for a long time, we need him to win the prem, I think so anyway.
      We will be a stronger team with his power-play in centre, not many players get past him.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #83: Oct 16, 2007 07:55:51 pm
      Who wouldn't pay the 17 mill for him? Explain.

I think we should definately pay it for him, he is in a different class when it comes to being a defensive Midfielder, if he could attack an score some goals then we could possibly have a player who is on a par with Stevie. Whatever happens Rafa, make sure we get him!
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #84: Oct 17, 2007 01:11:00 am
      Think of it this way.
      Carrick-17 mil.
      hargreaves-20 mil.

mascherano>>>>both.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #85: Oct 17, 2007 12:13:21 pm
      Think of it this way.
      Carrick-17 mil.
      hargreaves-20 mil.

mascherano>>>>both.

Absolutely.  In a totallly different class.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #86: Oct 17, 2007 01:05:39 pm
      Worth every penny - world class does not come cheap - and Javier IS world class.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #87: Oct 17, 2007 01:51:11 pm
      Javier is away with Argentina - so that's him not playing on Saturday...

If SG gets injured today we have a hell of a problem on Saturday - Xabi to come to the rescue in time??
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #88: Nov 06, 2007 09:48:25 pm
      Buy him...Buy him ASAP.
      This guy is just class!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #89: Nov 06, 2007 11:12:51 pm
      Buy him...Buy him ASAP.
      This guy is just class!!

I think we all agree he is a player we should ensure doesn't leave Anfield.  Just the kind of player who allows Gerrard to play in that free role.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #90: Nov 07, 2007 07:56:09 am
      He didnt have much to do last night, that team hardly had a sniff of the ball. However, he did show some great passing though.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #91: Nov 07, 2007 08:42:55 am
      He's just like MOMO.... with skills. :P

He Chases, tackles, wins possession for us all the time and can put a decent pass in. Buy him ASAP so no vultures come circling.

Quick Reply