Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Ryan Babel (Various)

Read 19988 times
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Ryan Babel (Various)
      May 27, 2009 11:24:21 am
      Liverpool to permit Ryan Babel departure

Ryan Babel could be the first high-profile departure from Liverpool as manager Rafael Benitez plans his summer restructuring.

It is understood that following talks with the Dutch international's agent, Benitez has told the winger he is free to talk to other clubs about a possible £11 million move.

Babel arrived at Anfield in July 2007 and has scored 14 goals in 91 matches for the club - although only 42 of those were as a starter. But despite early promise, he has failed to hold down a regular place in the side and has mainly been used as an impact player from the bench.

He has reportedly asked for assurances that he will be given more of an opportunity next season.

But following discussions with the player's agent, Winnie Haatrecht, Benitez has been unable to offer such guarantees after starting with Babel only six times in the Premier League this term.

It has appeared likely for some time that Benitez would be prepared to listen to offers for Babel, and now he is ready to use the 22 year-old to raise cash.

Babel was signed from Ajax, who on Tuesday appointed Martin Jol as their new manager, but the asking price to re-sign their former player would rule out the Dutch club.

The youngster has admirers in England, with Aston Villa, Tottenham and Arsenal believed to be showing interest.

Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside.

Barry's future at Villa is again in doubt with the club's owner Randy Learner claiming the player would stay at Villa Park after discussions started over a new contract.

But Barry is known to want Champions League football, and Liverpool could sweeten a possible move by including Babel as bait. Villa still want £10m for Barry and a swap deal may suit all parties.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5392251/Liverpool-to-permit-Ryan-Babel-departure.html

Thoughts?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Re: Re: Ryan Babel Player Thread
      Reply #1: May 27, 2009 11:29:29 am
      Good news.

Don't think he's cut out to be a Liverpool player, he has really failed to push on from last season.

I also hate his attitude. Look at Yossi and how he was so determined to get in the first team and when he got a chance he grabbed it with both hands and look at him now. Pushing for a first team place every week and probably our most improved player since the turn of the year.

All Babel does is moan.

I really won't be disappointed to see Ryan leave.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Ryan Babel (Various)
      Reply #2: May 27, 2009 11:32:48 am
      I still think we should get some more money from him!  We bought him for £10,000,000 - that means a £1,000,000 profit?

Other teams like Madrid would probably pay higher because they like throwing their money around (Diarra).
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #3: May 27, 2009 11:33:51 am
      As long as it's not Xabi Alonso. I would flip if the Ryan's and Xabi's names were swapped in the article. Just a bench player right?
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #4: May 27, 2009 11:33:58 am
      11million sounds nice! I wouldn't be in favour of a swap for Barry though n I don't think that O'Neill will go for it anyway.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: May 27, 2009 11:34:49 am
      Wont be too sorry to be honest, although i would prefer the cash rather than a swap with Barry.

"Benitez needs cash to fund a spending spree that could bring Carlos Tevez, David Silva and Gareth Barry to Merseyside".

A bit of optimism here i think.  Although i would love to see Silva and Tevez at Anfield
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #6: May 27, 2009 11:36:03 am
      Swapping Babel for Barry could work in our favor,Babel is a 10mil player so we wouldnt have to pay extra for Barry.Rafa is convinced Barry is the one for us so who we to judge Rafa,and Babel has been really disappointing this season.Let him go,bring in extra funds i say!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #7: May 27, 2009 11:37:55 am
      I still thinks that Rafa should not sell him to another PL team. If he wants to sell him, either Serie A or La Liga will be great but not Arse...nal
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #8: May 27, 2009 11:44:10 am
      Good Riddence,

I like Babel i really do, i believe that with time he will be what we refer to as "world class" but i still havent forgiven him for the "on the bench all the time" comments.

Look at Yossi, he shut up, got on with it and cemented himself into the first team.

Babel just seems lazy.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: May 27, 2009 11:51:49 am
      To be fair Ryan has been pish for a long time and yet he was still given more leeway than Keane. Any money we can recoup for him will be a result and the sooner the better. Mardy git.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #10: May 27, 2009 12:02:09 pm
      I have to disagree with the comments about him turning out to be World Class.  I really just can't see it.

I think if we're lucky enough to get 8-10 million back for him we have done very well.  He just isn't cut out for this very highest level of football.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #11: May 27, 2009 12:02:56 pm
      I'm in favour of letting him go too.

His goals to games ratio really isn't great, even if he's been played out of position and he hasn't had a long run of matches in a row. For me it still doesn't explain how he doesn't chase down the ball the way the other players do, it doesn't explain how poor his first touch often is, and for a striker I haven't found him lethal within the 18 yard box.

I don't find that he took any of the opportunities given to him, he disappointed me this year, despite the extra difficulty our summer signings made for him. I can't see him fitting into our system either. He wants to be an out and out striker, but he'll never be happy on the bench behind Torres and he doesn't give us the required width on the wing. The best thing for both club and player would be him leaving.

Sadly, what disappointed me most was when he played against PSV in the Champions League. He looked truly outstanding, chasing down players, determined and confident, really up for it. It was a shame that he could raise his game to impress his countrymen when he was looking for a transfer to Ajax, but not to help our title push.

If we get more than £10 million I'll be happy. It would repay what we paid for him and boost our transfer budget. Obviously I'd want more than that, but I'd accept the figure quoted in the article.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2009 12:27:12 pm by ayrton77 »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #12: May 27, 2009 12:07:22 pm
      I think it would be best for everyone if he leaves he'll never be good enough for liverpool because he is too lazy and he always has to have his own way it is a shame though because this guy was supposed to be big.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: May 27, 2009 12:12:30 pm
      10 Million would do it for me, Ryan has been my biggest disappointment this season, after a few excellent performances last season I was hoping for huge things. only for him he to be a bit of a damp squib.

Sorry Ryan 10 million could be put to better use in the summer
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: May 27, 2009 12:26:54 pm
      Not much credibility in that article IMO but if Ryan really is in this position then ciao! For 11 million, for sure. His value will only drop because, well, he's not the best is he?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #15: May 27, 2009 12:32:25 pm
      Good riddance.

If we get 11 million I'd snap their hand off because we'd be lucky to get any more.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #16: May 27, 2009 12:33:54 pm
      I'm not surprised Rafa's trying to get rid of him.

Has been very lazy and hasn't shown any signs of improvement this season.

I hope we get a nice big profit. 
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #17: May 27, 2009 12:38:19 pm
      If he wants to be a world class player he's got to work for it ...many people are putting him up on a pedestal ...but you know what ...at 22 he's not longer a ' potential star' we should sell him and buy David Silva, 23 and already a class act . I've had enough of Babel moaning and I don' think he he what it take to be in our first team and whenever he payed as a striker he dissapointed and never showed much talent , there were a few of those moments but not enough to make me want him to stay .
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: May 27, 2009 12:56:36 pm
      Not much credibility in that article

I appreciate there weren't any quotes or anything, but pretty much the same article was run in the Liverpool Daily Post today, which gives a bit more weight to it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: May 27, 2009 01:12:18 pm
      I appreciate there weren't any quotes or anything, but pretty much the same article was run in the Liverpool Daily Post today, which gives a bit more weight to it.

Dont doubt its true mate, i think Rafa see's he should move on its just the constant use of neutral stances. Keeps saying 'reportedly' and 'understood'.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #20: May 27, 2009 01:16:58 pm
      Dont doubt its true mate, i think Rafa see's he should move on its just the constant use of neutral stances. Keeps saying 'reportedly' and 'understood'.

:D

I know what you mean, sounds like when people say a friend's friend told them, stuff like that.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #21: May 27, 2009 01:52:05 pm
      Count our losses on this lad. We'll be lucky to get 8 million for him.

He could be a world beater, but doesn't have the mentality. Shame.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #22: May 27, 2009 01:58:13 pm
      Dissapointed with Babel I thought he had a very good season last year and was expecting him to put his head down and strive for world class but he never did.

It will be sad to see him go he put in some great performances in the CL I will always remember his celebration against Newcastle.

Quick Reply