Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Ryan Babel (Various)

Read 19985 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Ryan Babel (Various)
      Reply #115: Jun 28, 2009 04:39:20 pm
      I wana bum babel just to get it back on topic

Thats worse than when i proposed for him to do a nudie run to get him out of his shell.

Still could do with it, could make him more lively on the pitch.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #116: Jun 28, 2009 04:47:59 pm
      Thats worse than when I proposed for him to do a nudie run to get him out of his shell.

Still could do with it, could make him more lively on the pitch.

;D I will give you a 20p mix up if you streak starkers up to babel after he scores a goal I will even increase your rating + 1 every day for the whole of next season ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #117: Jun 28, 2009 07:32:22 pm
      True but sometimes players just need a change of scenery to find themselves again and I am sure that has happened with Kewell in his day was a Class act for Leeds and you don't lose Class its permanent.

In the same breath by Loaning Babel out to say a club like Newcastle where he would get a game week in and week out he would get that change of scenery maybe his confidence would go up and he would return to us a better player ?

You think being at Newcastle would help his confidence? Another championship club, maybe :D Newcastles a depressing place to be id say, look what its done to everyone thats there, the only time Shearer smiled was when he heard the jokes at Anfield :D

I believe if he survives the transfer window and is still a Liverpool player, then keep him here and see if he can fight a bit more and show a more mature attitude. Hes got talent, i wanna see it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #118: Jun 28, 2009 07:41:10 pm
      You think being at Newcastle would help his confidence? Another championship club, maybe :D Newcastles a depressing place to be id say, look what its done to everyone thats there, the only time Shearer smiled was when he heard the jokes at Anfield :D

I believe if he survives the transfer window and is still a Liverpool player, then keep him here and see if he can fight a bit more and show a more mature attitude. Hes got talent, I wanna see it.

To be honest mate I'm from just outside of Newcastle myself and the good old thing with the Geordies is they are fighters and they wont desert in mass (supporters that is) and they will be there to roar their club on in the face of adversity.

Its looking increasingly likely that a Newcastle take over will completed by the end of the month and Shearer will be installed as Full Time Manager. Thats why I stated Newcastle as the place for Babel to go as shearer is looking to offload the crap that took them to the championship and build a squad to bounce straight back up and who better for Babel for to learn from than one of the most prolific scorers the premiership has seen ?

All tho  I must agree i'd love to see him realise his potential with us
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #119: Jun 28, 2009 07:51:12 pm
      A Fulham type club maybe. One with ambition but with a good leader in Hodgson and Murphy. Would set him out but i doubt it, and i'd much rather get the money for him now.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #120: Jun 28, 2009 08:00:39 pm
      To be honest mate I'm from just outside of Newcastle myself and the good old thing with the Geordies is they are fighters and they wont desert in mass (supporters that is) and they will be there to roar their club on in the face of adversity.

Its looking increasingly likely that a Newcastle take over will completed by the end of the month and Shearer will be installed as Full Time Manager. Thats why I stated Newcastle as the place for Babel to go as shearer is looking to offload the crap that took them to the championship and build a squad to bounce straight back up and who better for Babel for to learn from than one of the most prolific scorers the premiership has seen ?

All tho  I must agree I'd love to see him realise his potential with us

Yes but the supporters dont run the club, at this stage the club is in alot of turmoil and i cant see it being beneficial. Although, if they get taken over and stabilise than good. But i dont want any of our players going there at the present time, just my opinion though.

Yeah a place like Fulham would be good, any of those clubs in the premiership that are looking at building. Thinking about it, it would be better for him to stay in the premiership as well so he is still getting that same premiership pressure.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #121: Jun 28, 2009 08:04:41 pm
      A Fulham type club maybe. One with ambition but with a good leader in Hodgson and Murphy. Would set him out but I doubt it, and I'd much rather get the money for him now.

I thought about selling Babel but the thing that scares me is its clear to everybody the lad has vast amounts of untapped potential and somewhere under his sulky moody exterior there is a cracking world class just waiting to burst on to scene.

It could go one of two ways for me one way is babel will never realize his potential and will become a forgotten man.

or

He could get some games under his belt in his proffered position get his confidence up and become a world beater in his own right. I rather this option he do with us than be the one who got away and thats why i suggested a loan as i thought it may be right to help his development.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #122: Jun 28, 2009 08:35:38 pm
      I think with Babel we have to play him or let him go he is doing us nor himself any good as a bit part player.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #123: Jul 02, 2009 12:07:26 pm
      There's not exactly what one would call a rush to beat Rafa's door down, cheque book in hand, to get Ryan's signature.......they must have watched him play.  ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #124: Jul 02, 2009 12:30:40 pm
      In all honesty mate if you set aside last season, which can not have been good for his confidence seeing the likes of Robbie Keane arrive (one of his positions) and Albert Riera arrive (one of his positions also) considering he had a good impact in his debut season.

Babel is a confidence player he needs to feel the support of his manager team mates and fans alike and with the new arrivals maybe he felt he was pushed down the pecking order before a ball was even kicked. I know he's moody and sulky but aren't all the greats look at Cantona Di' Canio and players of their like they are all temperamental but its their ability when thriving on confidence that makes them the players that they were (I'm not saying Babel is any where near their standard but he has the potential to be).

Maybe Babels first season he was so full of confidence as he was signed as a big money signing for one of his age and he must have thought that Rafa really rated him and he got off to to a flying start. He was magnificent for us that season and showed a lot of promise and potential. So maybe like I said the arrivals of Keane and Riera hampered his confidence and progression let alone the arrival of Ngog (one of Babels positions again) and the emergence of Benayoun who in my opinion had a fantastic second half to the season(again one of his positions).

So lets not be too hard on Babel he's a young lad with obvious potential and qualities and lets just hope he can apply himself a bit better get a good pre season under his belt and really push on for a place in the managers thoughts and the starting XI as if he can re-capture or excel the form of his debut season as if he can he is quite clearly an effective weapon in our armory
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #125: Jul 02, 2009 03:46:46 pm
      What is this obvious potential Babel has?

I mean the lad has expressed pace and a Jimmy Case like shot. Other than that he has sod all. He's not strong, he's not aware, his control is more like a 60 yard clearance, he is one dimensional because he doesn't trust his left foot, he's not great in the air, he's not good enough.

Time to cut our losses and sell him for a cut-down price.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #126: Jul 02, 2009 04:06:55 pm

I mean the lad has expressed pace and a Jimmy Case like shot.
      Other than that he has sod all. He's not strong, he's not aware, his control is more like a 60 yard clearance, he is one dimensional because he doesn't trust his left foot, he's not great in the air, he's not good enough.

You kind of answered your own question. Potential by no means makes a player a finished product, it means he could be, if he continues to work hard and improve. Babel has loads of potential, just not the heart or work-rate to fulfill it.

That's why everyone presumes that he could turn into a world class player, with a lot of maturation, obviously.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #127: Jul 02, 2009 04:49:40 pm

I mean the lad has expressed pace and a Jimmy Case like shot. Other than that he has sod all. He's not strong, he's not aware, his control is more like a 60 yard clearance, he is one dimensional because he doesn't trust his left foot, he's not great in the air, he's not good enough.

Thats why I used words such as a lot of promise and potential, its obvious Babel is by no means the finished article but he has got something about him. When he's confident he's got goals in him has the pace to strip to defenders and defenders hate pace as Fernando showed with Vidic, they find it hard to deal with.

His control granted he needs to work on, his awareness will come with minutes on the pitch (remembering the dutch league or any other league for that matter is not played at the pace of the premier league). He's only young had a flying start to his career here and then something went wrong in his head, what that was we can only speculate but what ever it was contributed to his poor performances.

I was hoping we could loan him out for 6 months or a season and see how he develops playing week in and week out for a lower team, he may then go on to become a better player increasing his stock as well as his value to the contrary he may not, IMO with the early promise he showed he is worth holding on to.

If we were to discard every player who had a poor season Kuyt would not be here Alonso would not be here Carragher would not be here and so on and so forth. Sometimes you have to nurture a talent and if you ask me Ryan Babel is talented and if any one can get him to sort him self out and knuckle down its Rafa. He may just need to take more on board as Torres said Rafa is all ways trying to improve parts of your game to make you a more complete player.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #128: Jul 02, 2009 05:33:51 pm
      His potential was encapsulated in his goal against Arsenal in the CL blistering pace, strength and a good finish now what isn't to like about that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #129: Jul 02, 2009 06:09:19 pm
      You kind of answered your own question. Potential by no means makes a player a finished product, it means he could be, if he continues to work hard and improve. Babel has loads of potential, just not the heart or work-rate to fulfill it.

That's why everyone presumes that he could turn into a world class player, with a lot of maturation, obviously.

No Babel doesn't have loads of potential. That's the point.

He has two attributes which I pointed out earlier - pace and a shot. That's not loads of potential. That's an average player.

By the age of 22 (I think that's how old he is) you should have the basic skills of control, awareness and strength. He doesn't. He's not got all this potential people think he has.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #130: Jul 02, 2009 06:18:32 pm
      Very few if any have his pace which by general consensus is a major attribute for success in modern football. I am not 100% convinced but if he did get a run in the team we would be able to judge him better. However if Rafa paid that money for him and hasn't yet found him a starting place were does that leave the lad.
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts |
      Reply #131: Jul 03, 2009 01:27:28 pm
      I say do not sell him, he will improve a lot to play first team football and your going to see that from the matches
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #132: Jul 03, 2009 01:48:42 pm

He has two attributes which I pointed out earlier - pace and a shot. That's not loads of potential. That's an average player.

By the age of 22 (I think that's how old he is) you should have the basic skills of control, awareness and strength. He doesn't. He's not got all this potential people think he has.

A bit like Henry when he first came to Arsenal?

You may be right DLS but you also could be horribly wrong.  I hope you are.

in the meantime I'll continue to trust in Rafa's judgement.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #133: Jul 03, 2009 02:03:46 pm
      First season Ryan Babel showed so much potential..... sadly that just ebbed away last season. I hope he improves next season if he is still here somehow i don't hold out to much
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #134: Jul 03, 2009 02:41:42 pm

Potential
      existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality <potential benefits>

You're saying it's not possible for Babel to improve? That Babel isn't capable of stepping up his game because he hasn't yet, at the age of 22? That's complete bullshit, of course he could, I'd bet my house that he won't, but it's entirely possible. Potential by no means is a finished product, it means there's a foundation and room to grow. Nothing more nothing less.

Every player that signs for LFC has potential, only a select few fulfill their potential. Rafa obviously seen potential in Babel, or he wouldn't have bought him.

Also potential isn't defined by competing at the worlds largest stage, which Babel is trying to do. There's plenty of youngsters out their with loads of potential who are far worse than Ryan.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #135: Jul 03, 2009 02:53:27 pm
      Well by your theory anyone under 24 has potential to be a world beater.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #136: Jul 03, 2009 03:09:12 pm
      Well by your theory anyone under 24 has potential to be a world beater.

Not a theory, I pulled that quote straight out of Websters. I just applied the definition of potential to the world of football. If we're talking about someone's potential I want to talk about their potential, sorry, I'm a very literal person. I accept the fact Babel probably won't be a world beater, but saying he doesn't have potential just isn't true.

And yes, any youngster in football could become the next big thing. Some that are even older (than 24) have more potential than they do skill, Kuyt had a sh*t-tonne of potential when he arrived, now he's fulfilling it. Everything about Kuyt has improved, with the exception of his work-rate, which is consistently amazing. He was well over 25 when we started to see the best side of him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #137: Jul 03, 2009 03:10:18 pm
      Potential
      You're saying it's not possible for Babel to improve? That Babel isn't capable of stepping up his game because he hasn't yet, at the age of 22? That's complete bullshit, of course he could, I'd bet my house that he won't, but it's entirely possible. Potential by no means is a finished product, it means there's a foundation and room to grow. Nothing more nothing less.

Every player that signs for LFC has potential, only a select few fulfill their potential. Rafa obviously seen potential in Babel, or he wouldn't have bought him.

Also potential isn't defined by competing at the worlds largest stage, which Babel is trying to do. There's plenty of youngsters out their with loads of potential who are far worse than Ryan.

Well I don't remember saying Babel is incapable of improving. I just don't think he has as much potential as people like to believe. There's far too much room for improvement for him to become good enough. His bad skills outdo his good ones by a long, long way.

I've never said Babel should be a finished product but he should be a whole lot closer to being finished that what he currently is. Right now he'd be lucky to make our bench, for somebody with all this, so called, potential at the age of 22 that isn't good enough. If he was five or six years younger with his current skills we'd all be drooling over him, but he isn't. He's 22 and although not many players are world class at that age, those who are going to be an extremely good player know how to control a ball at the age of 22. They know how to go past a player rather than just run into them at 22.

Now you could argue that Babel is a big game player, scoring against Arsenal, Chelsea and United could prove this. But as far as I'm concerned every game for Liverpool Football Club is a big game and Babel doesn't perform well enough in about 75% of the games. He does strike me as one of these lads who wants the spotlight on him, constantly moaning when he isn't playing, having his own website, trying to pursue a rap career and his greed with a football. That's why I think he performs in these, so called, "big" games because that's when the global cameras are on show.

He doesn't have potential to become anywhere near good enough for this club on a regular basis.

A bit like Henry when he first came to Arsenal?

When he first came to Arsenal. Babel has been here two years and gone backwards - Henry moved forwards.

But not only is comparing Babel to Henry unfair on Ryan as Henry is possibly the greatest inport to the Premiership but it's also disrespectful to the former Arsenal legend. Henry was a genius with a football, so to even compare Babel to him is complete disrespect.

Quick Reply