Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Ryan Babel (Various)

Read 19996 times
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Re: Ryan Babel (Various)
      Reply #23: May 27, 2009 02:09:39 pm
      I think selling Babel is a mistake, He's been a victim of the Rafa effect, that is playing him out of position with rarely any starts. Even when Torres was injured he wasn't given a decent run upfront. He's one of the few players outside our first XI with a bit of potential, he's expressed his determination to stay and improve next season. So I think he should be given some more time at the club unless the cash raised goes to a worthy replacement.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #24: May 27, 2009 02:10:34 pm
      The movements in the exchange rate may help us here.

We bought him for about 16 million euros (which was then 11 million pound).  I think that is about 12 million euros now, so you never know.  A European club could buy him back for far less than he was first sold and we could end up getting more money, if you catch my drift.

But alas, I think a 9 million euro (8 million pound) would be the kind of figure we will land.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #25: May 27, 2009 02:17:02 pm
      I think selling Babel is a mistake, He's been a victim of the Rafa effect, that is playing him out of position with rarely any starts. Even when Torres was injured he wasn't given a decent run upfront. He's one of the few players outside our first XI with a bit of potential, he's expressed his determination to stay and improve next season. So I think he should be given some more time at the club unless the cash raised goes to a worthy replacement.

Dont agree with you here. Babel is going to be 23 very soon and he doesnt look like fulfilling his potential. Instead, it looks as though his standard compared to the 07/08 season has decreased. Although I have to say that he is being played out of position, he can utilise his pace and acceleration on the left flank and when he often does it, he runs into space and constantly gets blocked out which I find very frustrating.

With quality players in the team, how is he going to get his chance if he just keeps on whining? He keeps going to the press, and this is what frustrates me as well. Can he just prove his worth on the training pitch? As much as I dont think Lucas is that good a player, he is mature enough and has a good mentality. Babel is sort of in the similar position and situation as Lucas but his professionalism, as compared to Lucas, is sh*t.

Also, he has to stop complaining he is being played out of position because to be honest, I dont see Babel as a clinical finisher either, just someone who packs a punch in his shot.  With people like Yossi working harder in training, and just because of Yossi does well and gets a run in the first team, this proves that anyone, who has a good mentality and proves to Rafa in training will get his chance.

But does Babel have a good mentality? No. And certainly he's a player who is stagnating, so I think we should sell him asap.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #26: May 27, 2009 02:19:37 pm
      To be honest he's one of the players I thought 'well if we're selling someone to raise cash for a big money signing we should sell him'. Flashes of a good player, but just not often enough and I think now is the time to sell before his value decreases.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #27: May 27, 2009 02:34:48 pm
      Babel Out To Impress
      Liverpool winger Ryan Babel hopes to show next season that he is ready to fulfil his potential.

The Dutchman was regarded as an exciting prospect for the future when he arrived at Anfield from Ajax in 2007.

He has shown glimpses of his ability but has struggled to hold down a regular starting spot and realises it is now time to deliver.

The 22-year-old accepts that he can no longer hide behind his youth and he is determined to establish himself as a key player with the Reds.

"You are a talent until you are 23," Babel told the Dutch Football Association's official website.

"At that moment you can't say 'Sorry I am just a young player'. At that moment you have gained enough experience to play a major role.

"Coaches say 'You are still young, you have time'. But they won't say that about Lionel Messi. He is young and he is good, so he will play."

Proud

Babel's future has been the subject of speculation but he maintains that he is happy at the club.

"I am very proud to be a part of this team," he explained.

"Before I made the transfer to Liverpool, of course I knew the club and the Beatles but apart from that not a lot about the city.

"It has completely changed. If you are there, you appreciate Liverpool. Then you can see how big this club is."

Babel accepts that he found it difficult to adjust to the training methods used at Liverpool when he first joined the club.

He said: "At Ajax there was time to do some individual exercises at the end of the training. I really enjoyed that.

"Nowadays it isn't possible, unfortunately. At Liverpool we had to leave the pitch to move on inside.

"The next game could not be far away. They won't take any risks that you will get injured.

"In the first season I had problems with that as I didn't play a lot. I am now used to it. To take some moments of rest are important."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5254396,00.html

I think he showed enough potential in 07/08 for us to have a reason to keep him, He's admitted himself he's found it hard 2 adjust to Liverpool's training methods and so on but also that he is ready improve next season. I don't think we'll get the full 11 million myself, I think the price will be whittled down to around 7 or 8, so IMO selling him would be a bad decision, he's one of the more promising youngsters in our squad and I think he should be given more time to show his potential. I think selling him would be like selling out any promise we have in our squad.
      « Last Edit: May 27, 2009 08:33:08 pm by CRK »
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: May 27, 2009 02:58:15 pm

If he was willing to stay and improve, would he have asked for a loan move to Ajax? No.
      Also, he'd chase down every ball, track back and work hard in his few appearances.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #29: May 27, 2009 03:07:22 pm
      Did you read the article? It seems to me that he wants another chance next year but Rafa wants him gone this summer. I reckon with a break this summer he'll come back a better player next seasn. But that's just me it seems.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: May 27, 2009 03:12:44 pm
      Did you read the article? It seems to me that he wants another chance next year but Rafa wants him gone this summer. I reckon with a break this summer he'll come back a better player next seasn. But that's just me it seems.

Yes I read the article, but until I see him trying his heart out for the shirt, I won't believe his words.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #31: May 27, 2009 03:35:04 pm
      Hmm I think if we collected 11 million and it ensured we bought the likes of David Silva then i could understand it, but I untill he leaves I'm supporting him to improve next season.
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #32: May 27, 2009 04:01:41 pm
      Wouldn't be that dissapointed with him leaving, i'm all for giving players time and letting them develop but with babel i can't see him developing into someone worth keeping and especially now with us trying to win the league, we don't have the time to give him, can't risk it. Ok, would consider keeping him as more of a squad/substitute player but he obviously isn't happy with that so in my opinion, he can move on!

11 mil sounds good enough to me, we could definitely use that!
      Redbud
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #33: May 27, 2009 04:25:31 pm
      He is still young I think he could still be a great player for Liverpool, but I just pray we dont let him go for a song....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #34: May 27, 2009 06:05:41 pm
      I still think Ryan will make a big impact, but it won't be with us, G-Force says Rafa played him out of position, but the fact is he should have shown us a little more to his game from wherever it was, Ryan tried a few positions from centre forward or right side, left side, and other than the odd goal he always seemed to run down blind alleys, his crosses were poor, and he was caught offside on a few occations, the offside always show if a players is on top of his game and more often than not, Ryan wasn't.....Lets hope we get a decent price, and who knows we may even get most of the money back.....
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,845 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #35: May 27, 2009 07:04:02 pm
      Can't see Rafa selling him for less than £ 11-12 million , after all we have groomed him for premiership football at the very highest level ,his international standing with Holland must increase, with us he's played european football ,so at 22 years old his potential must be 11-12 million ,must confess i did wonder if he would make the grade with us in time but as already stated we can't turn that sort of money away
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #36: May 27, 2009 07:38:00 pm
      To be honest he's one of the players I thought 'well if we're selling someone to raise cash for a big money signing we should sell him'. Flashes of a good player, but just not often enough and I think now is the time to sell before his value decreases.

Like a lighthouse, occasional flashes of brilliance but otherwise nothing
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #37: May 28, 2009 09:33:45 am
      Tottenham Hotspur Linked With Liverpool's Ryan Babel

The Netherlands international forward has been told he can leave Anfield this summer in search of more regular first-team football

28 May 2009 08:15:49

According to a report in the British tabloid The Daily Mail, Tottenham Hotspur could be willing to take Ryan Babel off Liverpool's hands during the close-season.

It was claimed on Tuesday that Reds manager Rafael Benitez told the 22-year-old's agent that the player is free to leave Anfield this summer.

Apparently, the 30-time capped Netherlands international is unhappy at starting just six Premier League games and 13 times in total during the 2008-09 campaign, especially as he had begun 29 matches the previous year.

Benitez has made it clear that he cannot guarantee the versatile 6ft forward, who can play on the wing or through the middle, will be a regular in the starting XI next year.

It is suggested that the former Ajax star is most likely to end up in either the Primera Division or Serie A should he decide to leave the Merseyside outfit.

However, if he chooses to remain in England, a switch to Spurs could be on the cards as manager Harry Redknapp is reported to be up for the challenge of helping Babel realise his potential.

Liverpool paid £11.5 million to land Babel in 2007, but it is thought they will accept a bid in the region of £8m.

£8m? We could do for more,no?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #38: May 28, 2009 01:16:00 pm
      His agent said he is not leaving today, he wants to become a regular and win trophies.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #39: May 28, 2009 01:18:35 pm
      His agent said he is not leaving today, he wants to become a regular and win trophies.

Bye Bye Ryan!

His agent might say he wants to stay, but if Rafa wants him gone, I'd say he was going.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #40: May 28, 2009 01:22:40 pm
      Hmm I think if we collected 11 million and it ensured we bought the likes of David Silva then I could understand it, but I untill he leaves I'm supporting him to improve next season.

My thoughts exactly, he's a Liverpool player and therefore he has  my support until her goes.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #41: May 28, 2009 09:13:21 pm
      I might be in the minority but i want to see him for another season ,i just think he has something different we have had far worse than him at anfield and they were given longer to adjust ,i admit he has frustrated me on times this season ,but he is a red and until he is not he has my support .
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #42: May 28, 2009 09:15:40 pm
      Bye Bye Ryan!

His agent might say he wants to stay, but if Rafa wants him gone, I'd say he was going.
      Undoubted potential in this lad, but my view that I've expressed before, is that there is something missing  in the thing between his ears. He just doesn't seem hungry enough to want to win a place in the team, Benny is a good analogy and look how well he has done recently. That Ryan was how to win a place in the team. As HUYTON said if Rafa has decided to sell, then he's as good as gone and anything above 10 million is a good price for him.
      JayDLFC
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 290 posts | -1 
      Reply #43: May 29, 2009 01:48:34 am
      i hope babel does stay hes a good winger but even better if he learns how to pass and not be so greedy
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #44: Jun 03, 2009 03:41:56 pm
      Ryan Babel is a good option as a last ten miniute throw of the dice and personally i think Raffa should have played him in a striker roll as he fullfilled in the dutch league.

Hes not cut out as a winger for a club of our magnitude at the moment. Maybe a loan out to a championship club would be what he needs to get to the standard we are looking for.
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Reply #45: Jun 03, 2009 06:23:03 pm
      Ryan Babel is a good option as a last ten miniute throw of the dice and personally I think Raffa should have played him in a striker roll as he fullfilled in the dutch league.

Hes not cut out as a winger for a club of our magnitude at the moment. Maybe a loan out to a championship club would be what he needs to get to the standard we are looking for.
      Rubbish, a loan to a Championship club would be the worse thing we could do. Babel is a confidence play as many have pointed out. How would denting his confidence by making him play in the Championship accomplish anything?

Quick Reply