Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Ryan Babel (Various)

Read 19980 times
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Re: Ryan Babel (Various)
      Reply #46: Jun 03, 2009 07:03:53 pm
      Good question, that would be utterly retarded in truth...We will see something different Babel next season, hopefully he mirrors Benny's performance an attitude to the T
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #47: Jun 03, 2009 07:11:31 pm
      Either he's given next year to prove his worth, (which is his intention) or to be sold elsewhere to raise money for other transfers.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #48: Jun 03, 2009 08:18:50 pm
      Ryan Babel is a good option as a last ten miniute throw of the dice and personally i think Raffa should have played him in a striker roll as he fullfilled in the dutch league.

Actually, he mostly played as a winger in the dutch league too, rarely as a striker. He was always the one wanting to be a striker, even back then. But even back then, in the dutch league, he never scored much.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Jun 03, 2009 08:28:46 pm
      Actually, he mostly played as a winger in the dutch league too, rarely as a striker.

Actually he was on the left side of a 3 pronged attack as opposed to actually playing as winger.
      Torres_LFC9
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #50: Jun 03, 2009 08:34:52 pm
      Id snap anything over £8.5 million up for Babel, may come good in another league, but hasnt always produced.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #51: Jun 03, 2009 08:56:59 pm
      Actually he was on the left side of a 3 pronged attack as opposed to actually playing as winger.
      I disagree, during his time at Ajax he mostly played on the left as winger, maybe not the conventional winger because he's rightfooted, but still. Charisteas/Rosenberg/Huntelaar played as box strikers, Rosales/Leonardo as winger on the right. It was quite the classic 4-3-3 Ajax system. Though in his last year Babel also switched more often to right winger because of injuries of Rosales and Leonardo. He really didn't play much different than he does now when he plays at liverpool, the big difference just is that at Ajax he wasn't really obligated to defend.
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #52: Jun 04, 2009 09:46:04 am
      Rubbish, a loan to a Championship club would be the worse thing we could do. Babel is a confidence play as many have pointed out. How would denting his confidence by making him play in the Championship accomplish anything?

If he is a confidence player (which is usually the stigma that gets attatched to players who just arent doing it at a high level) then a loan spell would mean he was getting to play some football and come back a better player. Maybe the championship would be too much of a drop for him but at the moment he is not by any means good enough to be wearing a red shirt at present and i dont know about you but i want to win the league next season and you cant do that with players who are as inconsistant as Babel.
      OBY
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 73 posts | -1 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #53: Jun 04, 2009 11:38:57 am
      i dont know about you but i want to win the league next season and you cant do that with players who are as inconsistant as Babel.

I agree with Robbie. we need players who can perform to come off the bench rather than ones who can't. a loan spell at a club where he'll get first team football would really help him.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,917 posts | 1476 
      Reply #54: Jun 04, 2009 11:52:53 am
      If Rafa is really letting him go, then he can be used as a bargaining chip for some of our targets. Throw him in for a cash plus player David Silva swop.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #55: Jun 04, 2009 12:44:52 pm
      Sending him out on loan is a terrible idea, it would only break his confidence even more,We payed alot of money for him 2 years a go, He's got 30 caps for the Netherlands and will be 23 in december, ther's no way he's going to agree to go on loan to the championship. Besides if he can't be sold to raise money for other transfers ther's no harm in giving him next season to prove his worth.
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #56: Jun 04, 2009 03:11:34 pm
      Sending him out on loan is a terrible idea, it would only break his confidence even more,We payed alot of money for him 2 years a go, He's got 30 caps for the Netherlands and will be 23 in december, ther's no way he's going to agree to go on loan to the championship. Besides if he can't be sold to raise money for other transfers ther's no harm in giving him next season to prove his worth.

Are Liverpool FC really at that stage where we should be testing players to prove thier worth? I dont think so. And neither does Raffa who proved this by admitting his mistake of signing Robbie Keane and soon waving him off, im glad he got rid of the dead weight.
      If we are serious competitors for the league we need sure bets and unfortunately Babel isnt one. saying there is 'no harm' in giving him a run about next season could be the difference between a trophy and dissapointment.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #57: Jun 04, 2009 03:40:58 pm
      Well what's gonna benefit the team the most, having him come off the bench trying to prove himself or having him playing on loan in the championship? You suggested we loan him out, how is that going to win us the league? Like I said he should either be sold to raise our transfer funds or remain in our squad. You seem to think having Babel in our squad means we won't win the league. Surely he has some sort of worth to our team, he did come on and score the winner against United what's to say he cant benefit our team next season?
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 04, 2009 04:45:49 pm
      Its pretty obvious if Raffa loaned him he would get cover for that position.
      No single player can win or lose you the league over the whole season i never said that thats a foolish remark. What i did suggest is we can do without players who blow hot and cold.

Im not completely against Babel but not a great fan, he has amazing pace but doesnt know when to use it and a powerfull strike burt doesnt get himself into enough shooting positions thats why i believe the best of Babel is yet to come and we should loan him to round his skills.

I wouldnt want to end up throwing him away just yet which is why i suggested the loan look at Anelka i bet Arsenal are kicking themselves that they werent more patient with him now Chelski are arguably getting the best from him.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #59: Jun 04, 2009 05:05:45 pm
      I don't think Babel would agree to being loaned out though, He's far too high a standard of player to go to the championship and loaning him out to a Premiership side could be disastrous. I just think he's worth having in our squad next year, unless we can use him to fund for another player. Potential outside our first XI is in short supply, It's only the likes of Babel and Lucas that can break into our side at the moment. Loaning him out would only unsettle him even more so. He's shown enough potential to be given one more year at the club IMO. I agree we should be patient with him, but by involving him more in the first team, not by destroying his confidence through a loan deal.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #60: Jun 04, 2009 05:16:43 pm
      Well, he didn't have a great season , last season but he's shown that he's a good enough for the Premier League in his first season. He scored a pretty good amount of goals that season and was very impressive but didn't looked up to the mark in 2008/2009.

It's not that he isn't a good player. He may not have been given enough games to get a form running, coming onto the pitch usually for that last 25-30 minutes and that isn't easy. And he probably didn't help himself, failed to impress when he was given a start. Yeah, he's missed a few sitters in front of goal but all footballers, even great ones do at one point of time(Steven Gerrard against Bolton!! :P). Lucky for him, the two games he's missed (Porstmouth and WBA), were wins.

We've seen him give Sergio Ramos, Spain's first choice left back a torrid time when we played Madrid at Anfield. We've seen him shoot from 25 yards, with power. He has pace and is said to be one of the most skillful player in Liverpool.
      I believe he has the ablities, qualities and potential but may be not the attitude at the moment. He should learn from Yossi Benayoun. Lack of first team at the start but pushed, and continued improve and eventually playing a vital role towards the end.

I wouldn't loan him out to Championship. I think there's only two options here. We keep him in our squad this coming season as he could be a decent back up. Alternatively, we can cash him in to bring a player that plays a similar(or multiple) position, A.K.A. David Silva.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #61: Jun 04, 2009 05:19:27 pm

I wouldn't loan him out to Championship. I think there's only two options here. We keep him in our squad this coming season as he could be a decent back up. Alternatively, we have to cash in for him to bring a player that plays a similar(or multiple) position, A.K.A. David Silva.

Agree with you there. People shouldn't forget the promise he showed in his first season.
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #62: Jun 04, 2009 10:17:23 pm
      The only reason i mention the championship is because Rafa wouldn't want him playing for a side who we could come up against, as you rightly said before SGF. how about the idea of a loan abroad? That probably makes more sense. That way he gets to play week in week out for 90 mins and can be rained back in when hes a more complete payer. Also he still gets recognised by his country if hes playing for a club that's at least UEFA cup standard?

Gerrard's game benefited hugely from Raffa controversially playing him on the right so perhaps to get the best from Babel he might fit in better in a striking roll. Its an option it just means we have to focus on buying a world class left winger. Hopefully Raffa will try this sort of thing out in pre season and not experiment when it counts!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #63: Jun 04, 2009 10:19:00 pm
      The only reason i mention the championship is because Rafa wouldn't want him playing for a side who we could come up against, as you rightly said before SGF. how about the idea of a loan abroad? That probably makes more sense. That way he gets to play week in week out for 90 mins and can be rained back in when hes a more complete payer. Also he still gets recognised by his country if hes playing for a club that's at least UEFA cup standard?

Gerrard's game benefited hugely from Raffa controversially playing him on the right so perhaps to get the best from Babel he might fit in better in a striking roll. Its an option it just means we have to focus on buying a world class left winger. Hopefully Raffa will try this sort of thing out in pre season and not experiment when it counts!

The club could just put in his loan deal that he cant play against us.
      Robbie F God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #64: Jun 04, 2009 10:41:28 pm
      yes that is a possibility could also put in his loan deal that he has to get a decent hair cut.
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Reply #65: Jun 04, 2009 10:49:20 pm
      Ive said it a million times before he doesnt have the heart to succeed at our club
      yiou have got to have the hunger, passion and desire to fight for your place at lfc at this is simply what he is lacking
      he said it himself towards the end of the season and told the echo how he knows hes not a 'youngtser' anymore so he knows he has to step his game up!
      tbh didnt see any imporvement and obv rafa didnt either otherwise he would have been given his chance in the first team like yossi was in the final few games!
      Thnk our best option is to just get shut off him and let players thru who want to actuaaly play for the club!
      Id rather have a player with the passion like Kuyt, than someone who has the potential but simply can be assed to show it like Babel.
      mankini
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #66: Jun 05, 2009 09:06:58 pm
      babel dont get me started a poor first touch,completely unaware of whose around him cant cross and a poor goal return 11million 11mill what a waste of money there is no chance of getting that return at best 6 mill take it as soon as possible who scouted him .the first time i saw him put on a red shirt i thought oh know has no chance of a long term liverpool career another bad benitez buy way too many for me
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #67: Jun 17, 2009 10:40:06 am
      Anfield flop Babel given way out of Liverpool by Rijkaard

Frank Rijkaard is ready to announce his arrival as Galatasaray manager by offering to end Ryan Babel’s mounting frustration at Liverpool.

As Rafa Benitez looks to tie up the £17m signing of Glen Johnson today, former Barcelona coach Rijkaard will attempt to replenish Liverpool’s coffers with an £8m offer for his Dutch compatriot.

Rijkaard was appointed by Galatasaray earlier this month and funds are unlikely to be a stumbling block, but convincing Babel to make a fresh start in Turkey might be.

Babel has become exasperated with his lack of opportunities since leaving Ajax in a £12million deal two years ago.

He is believed to favour a move to Spain or Italy, though, if he cannot attract interest from another Premier League club.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1193558/Anfield-flop-Babel-given-way-Liverpool-Rijkaard.html
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #68: Jun 17, 2009 10:47:51 am
      I think Babel would be a good player for us if Rafa played him more

He payed £11.5m for him and he doesn't even play him :mad:

Quick Reply