Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

England National Football Team

Read 356978 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #115: Sep 07, 2009 02:18:37 pm
      You want to win a game from a dive?

Oh dear, is that how desperate you Croat's are? ;)
      stevieg86
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #116: Sep 07, 2009 04:15:15 pm
      England World Cup or Liverpool Champions League? Liverpool every single time. The thought of John Terry lifting the WC doesn't sit too well with me. I imagine I would feel differentley if Stevie G was skipper (which he should be!)
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #117: Sep 07, 2009 04:28:55 pm
      Yeah obviously but that isn't what this thread's about.

Just because we support Liverpool doesn't mean we can't England. I'd personally love to see us lift the WC.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #118: Sep 07, 2009 04:37:16 pm
      The thought of John Terry lifting the WC doesn't sit too well with me.

Sits fine with me. I don't care who it is lifting the World Cup for England if we win it, I just want to see us win it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #119: Sep 07, 2009 05:32:51 pm
      Just because we support Liverpool doesn't mean we can't England. I'd personally love to see us lift the WC.

Sits fine with me. I don't care who it is lifting the World Cup for England if we win it, I just want to see us win it.

Keep dreaming boys.

It will be the Brazilians all the way in South Africa. Hope Spain can challenge them, but I seriously can't see past Brazil.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #120: Sep 07, 2009 07:15:06 pm
      Keep dreaming boys.

It will be the Brazilians all the way in South Africa. Hope Spain can challenge them, but I seriously can't see past Brazil.
      i'd love to say argentina, they are my favourite. but the biggest problem now is that they are finding it hard to even qualify.  :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #121: Sep 07, 2009 08:44:08 pm
      i'd love to say argentina, they are my favourite. but the biggest problem now is that they are finding it hard to even qualify.  :laugh:

I like Argentina too, but their defence is woeful, they're missing Gabriel Milito, but even then I can't think of one decent right-back they have and Zanetti's not getting any younger. Insua would easily get in at left-back if Heinze is his only competition.

And if they were to qualify, they seriously need to get rid of Maradona and get a more qualified coach.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #122: Sep 08, 2009 12:58:19 am
      Ross yes I would like to win from a dive, just given the injustice that Eduardo will get slated for being a diver in every ground around the Premier league where Rooney gets applauded for doing the same.

I also like the Argies but there is only so much a team can do with an unqualified coach and a grand father in the middle of the park.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #123: Sep 08, 2009 10:00:10 am
      What does Heskey really bring to the England team..?? What does every England manager see that I cannot about this player..??

I'm fed up hearing from so called experts that he holds the ball up well, brings people into play and wins a few headers. This is the least a so called premiership and international player should be capable of.  You wouldn't back him in a tight match when the big chance came his way.

With his size and strength he should be terrorising defenders the way Drogba does but he doesn't because he doesn't have the bottle for the fight.

If my memory serves me right he had a great season with us and then after that he was garbage - I could never understand why he started so many matches.

I want a striker of so called international calibre to worry the opposition, make them think all the time not be there for the odd flick on etc.

His strike rate is appalling and general play not far off that level.

I just don't get it.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009 10:59:04 am by SM »
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #124: Sep 08, 2009 12:36:50 pm
      ^

I actually agree with you mate. You would think Heskey would be brilliant... but he just isn't.

Okay yeah, he holds the ball up, but the fact of the matter is that he's a striker, he's supposed to score goals, and his strike rate is appaling. Then you might argue that he's not about scoring goals, but he doesn't get many assists either. Plus he's getting old. I'd much rather have Carlton Cole up front - same kind of player with more techincal ability with an eye for goal aswell as the potential to set goals up. If not on current form then it's got to be Defoe hasn't it really?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #125: Sep 08, 2009 12:39:42 pm
      I am sure Crouch would be able to do a much better job then Heskey.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #126: Sep 08, 2009 04:21:22 pm
      I am sure Crouch would be able to do a much better job then Heskey.

No doubt. Even Crouch though frustrates me at times. I'd rather have Cole or Defoe at this moment in time up front with Rooney.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #127: Sep 09, 2009 10:45:21 am
      Capello thanks Bilic

England boss Fabio Capello has thanked Slaven Bilic for motivating his team ahead of the World Cup clash with Croatia.

Bilic has stirred up the clash at Wembley by suggesting England have lost their "Englishness" under Capello.

Capello is not worried about the comments and feels Bilic has done his own team-talk for him as he will not have to motivate his players to beat Croatia after Bilic's outburst.

Capello's men can qualify for South Africa with victory against the side that denied them a place at Euro 2008 - but there is the added incentive of proving Bilic wrong after he stirred up the mind games this week.

"Thank you Mr Bilic," Capello said. "It is the best. I have no need to motivate my players after this. It's fantastic assistance.

"He prepared the game. He tried to provoke a reaction. For me, thank you. That's fantastic assistance."

"I like the English spirit. I saw this spirit in a lot of games that we've played.

"It is impossible to win without spirit. We suffered sometimes during first halves and played better second halves, and it would have been impossible to do that without spirit."
      Dream

Victory for England against Croatia will secure England's place in South Africa next summer and for Capello it will be a realisation of a dream.

"It was always my dream to be here. I always said that," added Capello.

"I think it's the dream of every manager (to reach the final of the World Cup). Now, my dream is first to go to South Africa. This is the dream. Afterwards, there'll be another dream.

"The goal when I took over England was to get to the finals. When I came here, people said that - with Croatia - it would be a very difficult group psychologically, so I wanted to give the players belief."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5545440,00.html

Quality way to respond. Hope we give 'em a good beating tonight.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #128: Sep 09, 2009 02:03:31 pm
      F**k off Capello have a cry why dont you?!

Its good to see that Bilic's comments have got under his skin and the players.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #129: Sep 09, 2009 02:04:53 pm
      F**k off Capello have a cry why dont you?!

Its good to see that Bilic's comments have got under his skin and the players.

Whine whine. :D

Let's be honest, Bilic's comments were stupid. All they are going to do is make us more up for it.
      stevieg86
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      Reply #130: Sep 09, 2009 02:46:39 pm
      What does Heskey really bring to the England team..?? What does every England manager see that I cannot about this player..??

I'm fed up hearing from so called experts that he holds the ball up well, brings people into play and wins a few headers. This is the least a so called premiership and international player should be capable of.  You wouldn't back him in a tight match when the big chance came his way.

With his size and strength he should be terrorising defenders the way Drogba does but he doesn't because he doesn't have the bottle for the fight.

If my memory serves me right he had a great season with us and then after that he was garbage - I could never understand why he started so many matches.

I want a striker of so called international calibre to worry the opposition, make them think all the time not be there for the odd flick on etc.

His strike rate is appalling and general play not far off that level.

I just don't get it.

With you on this one, he hasn't been at his best for a while. He 'does a job' for England, but is this enough to warrant a starting place for your country? I'd expect him to be involved from the start again tonight.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #131: Oct 10, 2009 02:28:58 pm
      Is it today we play Ukraine or tomorrow?

Is this the match that is going to be on the internet? So annoying.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #132: Oct 10, 2009 02:36:08 pm
      We play them today.

Yes it is online viewing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #133: Oct 10, 2009 02:36:32 pm
      Cheers.

Balls.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #134: Oct 10, 2009 02:38:59 pm
      With you on this one, he hasn't been at his best for a while. He 'does a job' for England, but is this enough to warrant a starting place for your country? I'd expect him to be involved from the start again tonight.

Heskey is in the side basically because of his size and the way he holds the ball up.

He's big and numb yes but he holds the ball exceptionally well and brings other players into the attack who're far better finishers than he is such as Shrek, Lampard and Stevie so i think his strike rate doesn't bother Capello all that much.

The fact we've gone un-defeated in the campaign so far suggests Capello is justified in his selection of the big man.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #135: Oct 11, 2009 10:35:18 am
      one minute England are going to win the World Cup then they play like a bunch of part timers
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #136: Oct 11, 2009 10:46:59 am
      They're sh*te. Glad it was online only and I didn't have to avoid it on TV. Although I admit to watching about 5 minutes of it on Iraqgoals. When it froze I just fu**ed it off.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #137: Oct 11, 2009 10:54:20 am
      Here we go.

When we win we're brilliant, when we lose we're the worst team in the world.

Anything else I should add to that? :-\

Quick Reply