Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

England National Football Team

Read 359714 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: England National Football Team
      Reply #2208: Apr 24, 2016 03:05:42 pm
      Seriously? For a striker his goal record is terrible.
      I was a bit surprised to see people wanting Welbeck too. I think I would take Walcott or Rashford in that last spot, but you know it will be Rooney going and being in the first team. Faster we get knocked out in the group stage and Hodgson gets sacked so we can get a manager that will drop Rooney the better. If you remember Glenn Hoddle had a similar problem in 1998 where he had to drop Gazza. There is no place in football for sentiment. Rooney may he been good but he is not a goalscorer anymore.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #2209: Apr 24, 2016 03:53:03 pm
      Rooney is captain you F***ing dickheads, of course he will be going.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2210: Apr 24, 2016 05:34:53 pm

My post
      Rooney is captain you F***ing dickheads, of course he will be going.

Easy buddy
      My post was in regard to who I would select and not what Roy will pick.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2211: Apr 24, 2016 05:49:01 pm
      My post
      Easy buddy
      Defoe and Welbeck  :lmao:
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2212: Apr 24, 2016 05:55:08 pm

Defoe is a damn fine striker. Always gets goals. Always backs himself. Confidence is never an issue for him.
      Welbeck can play across the front line, is quick, physical and has experience. When fit he is a talented and versatile player.
      You really are a muppet Riba. Utter muppet.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #2213: Apr 24, 2016 05:59:07 pm
      My post
      Easy buddy

tbh swap Rooney for Defoe and I'd pretty much agree with most of who you picked.

But that is the whole reason Rooney will go is because he is captain.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2214: Apr 24, 2016 06:04:41 pm

You need to f**king grow up. Stop making a F***ing tit of yourself time and time again on this forum.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2215: Apr 24, 2016 06:21:40 pm
      Yeah. That's the problem
      I ho
      tbh swap Rooney for Defoe and I'd pretty much agree with most of who you picked.

But that is the whole reason Rooney will go is because he is captain.

Really think that the best way for England to evolve, perhaps get further in the competition and even be able to entertain us for a change is to select a squad that is as premier league style and fearless as possible.
      The only change I would make now I have had a few hrs to think about it is Drinkwater for Wilshire.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2216: Apr 24, 2016 06:22:41 pm
      You need to f**king grow up. Stop making a F***ing tit of yourself time and time again on this forum.

100% agree
      It's staggering what a tool riba comes across as

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2217: Apr 25, 2016 09:22:20 am
      100% agree
      It's staggering what a tool riba comes across as
      Defoes age means he probably isn't going to have the fitness  to play at such a level for that long. He has done that well in the league, by the time it is Euros he will be worn out. Euro 2016 will also be a hot summer not a mild saturday afternoon. If he goes he probable won't be able to start a match so later in the euros can't be relied on if we need to rotate players. Welbeck is nowhere near our best option. He is better for England than Arsenal but we have better. Rooney is going because he is captain, if he was not I would imagine Walcott or Rashford to get the last spot for a striking role. We might be better picking a couple of strikers that have not had full seasons. Sturridge could stand out well if he is still fit. Rashford and Walcott have not been over used either. People put ovr emphasis on how people have done in the league to the extent player fatigue is ignored. That is why we didn't win anything recently.... but sure pick Defoe and we will hear the same old... player fatigue  and it is too hot.... etc excuses.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016 09:38:11 am by Ribapuru »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #2218: Apr 25, 2016 07:07:59 pm
      1) Recently, LMFAO.
      2) yeah thats the reason, sure, why not?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2219: Apr 25, 2016 07:10:02 pm
      Defoes age means he probably isn't going to have the fitness  to play at such a level for that long. He has done that well in the league, by the time it is Euros he will be worn out. Euro 2016 will also be a hot summer not a mild saturday afternoon. If he goes he probable won't be able to start a match so later in the euros can't be relied on if we need to rotate players. Welbeck is nowhere near our best option. He is better for England than Arsenal but we have better. Rooney is going because he is captain, if he was not I would imagine Walcott or Rashford to get the last spot for a striking role. We might be better picking a couple of strikers that have not had full seasons. Sturridge could stand out well if he is still fit. Rashford and Walcott have not been over used either. People put ovr emphasis on how people have done in the league to the extent player fatigue is ignored. That is why we didn't win anything recently.... but sure pick Defoe and we will hear the same old... player fatigue  and it is too hot.... etc excuses.

That's a better presentation of your opinion countering mine.
      So your point as regard to Defoe not having the fitness to play at that level, i would counter that and say that I have picked him as part of a squad and not as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pick but rather as a striker off the bench player who is, in my opinion a fantastic opportunist.
      He is scoring for a poor relegation threatened team and is playing week in week out. Therefore, fitness, form, confidence and the ability to handle the pressure are all evident in him
      Welbeck is a versatile player across the front line. I see him as a jack of all trades as opposed to a master of one. We already have Kane, Vardy & Sturidge who can all play the middle either holding up, pressing the defense, off the shoulder and are able to operate from wider areas and move in. We are very lucky to have 3 such players but an option of a player who works hard, has pace and strength and the attitude to play the wide areas is a bonus.
      Yes, i fully realize that Rooney is the captain and will be selected for the squad and most likely as a starter BUT the post was obviously presenting MY preferred squad, of which, to me he would not make.
      Walcott was the one i was going back and forth with but i pumped for Welbeck. It's opinions. Either would fill the same role for the squad.
      Rashford needs to be left to develop in the U21s in my opinion. He has looked pretty impressive since his elevation to United's 1st 11 and clearly backs himself but with a willingness to work hard and hopefully remain humble. His time will come.
      As for heat being an issue...i don't think that will be a problem at.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2220: May 13, 2016 01:16:20 am
      http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36282768
      Like me, Defoe thinks he may get selected for the Euros
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2221: May 13, 2016 03:47:37 am

In favour of who though? Rooney, Kane & Vardy are bankers and Sturridge is a much better player than Defoe. I don't see the need for 5 strikers. I think he's had a really good season though.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2222: May 13, 2016 01:50:24 pm
      In favour of who though? Rooney, Kane & Vardy are bankers and Sturridge is a much better player than Defoe. I don't see the need for 5 strikers. I think he's had a really good season though.
      from a squad of 23 I think we will probably have 4 strikers, 3 goalies, 8 midfielders and 8 defenders.. It is about time Rooney got classed as a midfielder. I don't think he is really a striker anymore. I don't think we will put all our strikers on to start so we may be looking at a bit of a rotation in some games when there is only a 4 days between games.

Kane                Vardy
                                Ali

Barkley   Rooney    Wiltshire

Bertrend                   Walker
                       Smalling Stones

Hart     

Rotated

Sturridge 
      Milner                             Sterling 
                         Lallana
             Drinkwater        Henderson

Rose                                  Clyne 
                   Cahill       Dier                           

Hart

There is room for Defoe, I think if we treat Rooney as a MF we can take him and he will be good cover incase of an injury.   
      « Last Edit: May 13, 2016 04:02:32 pm by Ribapuru »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #2223: May 13, 2016 02:00:17 pm

Rooney   

Ali       Barkley  Wiltshire

Non existent central midfield might be an issue here ;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2224: May 13, 2016 02:41:37 pm
      Non existent central midfield might be an issue here ;)
      Fixed it now
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2225: May 13, 2016 03:23:12 pm
      from a squad of 23 I think we will probably have 4 strikers, 3 goalies, 8 midfielders and 8 defenders.. It is about time Rooney got classed as a midfielder. I don't think he is really a striker anymore. I don't think we will put all our strikers on to start so we may be looking at a bit of a rotation in some games when there is only a 4 days between games.

Ali

Barkley   Rooney    Wiltshire

Bertrend                   Walker
                       Smalling Stones

Hart     

Rotated

Sturridge 
      Milner                             Sterling 
                         Lallana
             Drinkwater        Henderson

Jones                                  Clyne 
                   Cahill       Dier                           

Hart

There is room for Defoe, I think if we treat Rooney as a MF we can take him and he will be good cover incase of an injury.   

If Wilshere starts I'll lose my sh*t, he's played 2 games all season although it wouldn't surprise me with Hodgson. I get your point about including Rooney as a midfielder to include Defoe. Who is Jones at LB? Surely it's not Phil Jones?!

I never got why a captain was allowed to have a sh*t season and still go to a tournament. If Rooney was any of the other players then he wouldn't be going to France this summer. Let's face it, all he's been good for is a bunch of goals against the likes of Lichtenstein and San Marino. When it comes to tournament football he's pathetic.

I have no idea what formation Hodgson will go with as our wingers are hardly firing on all cylinders but we've always depended on our width so a 4-2-3-1 wouldn't be surprising.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2226: May 13, 2016 04:05:22 pm
      If Wilshere starts I'll lose my sh*t, he's played 2 games all season although it wouldn't surprise me with Hodgson. I get your point about including Rooney as a midfielder to include Defoe. Who is Jones at LB? Surely it's not Phil Jones?!

I never got why a captain was allowed to have a sh*t season and still go to a tournament. If Rooney was any of the other players then he wouldn't be going to France this summer. Let's face it, all he's been good for is a bunch of goals against the likes of Lichtenstein and San Marino. When it comes to tournament football he's pathetic.

I have no idea what formation Hodgson will go with as our wingers are hardly firing on all cylinders but we've always depended on our width so a 4-2-3-1 wouldn't be surprising.
      I meant to put Rose not Jones. I changed it. I was rushing. We probably have to take Wiltshire since Oxlade got injured and in a squad of 23 he is still probably one of the better midfielders from what is available.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2227: May 14, 2016 07:19:15 pm
      Wilshere shouldn't even be called up for Euros, what has he done to deserve this chance ? I would rather pick Mark Noble than him, who was instrumental for West Ham.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2228: May 15, 2016 01:57:37 am
      Have to agree on Wilshire not getting picked
      I have thought, as have many of us that mark noble has been desperately unlucky over the years to not get selected.
      Who Roy selects and whom we all think deserves to get into the squad will be some what similar except for about 3 players or so.
      I had welbeck in my squad but now he is out I would say take noble and go with 5 strikers of Kane, vardy, sturidge, Rooney and Defoe
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2229: May 15, 2016 10:11:46 am
      Have to agree on Wilshire not getting picked
      I have thought, as have many of us that mark noble has been desperately unlucky over the years to not get selected.
      Who Roy selects and whom we all think deserves to get into the squad will be some what similar except for about 3 players or so.
      I had welbeck in my squad but now he is out I would say take noble and go with 5 strikers of Kane, vardy, sturidge, Rooney and Defoe

There's talk that Townsend will get a place in the squad. This is why England will never succeed. It's amazing how a team's weakness can turn into it's strength and vice versa. At one point we had the likes of Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand, Carra etc. at CB now we have Stones, Jagielka, Cahill and Smalling. We used to have Rooney as our best striker, we now have Sturridge, Kane, Vardy etc.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #2230: May 15, 2016 12:58:00 pm
      At one point we had the likes of Campbell, Terry, Ferdinand, Carra etc. at CB now we have Stones, Jagielka, Cahill and Smalling. We used to have Rooney as our best striker, we now have Sturridge, Kane, Vardy etc.

When you put it like that yep - funny how it all works out.

Ultimately, no matter how good they are though, I just don't think players or even fans from the top clubs give much of a s**t about it all.  That's why I expect some of the newer capped players to be the better players for England in the tournament.

Quick Reply